104 replies to this topic

#21 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:40 PM

MRBCs system works pretty well. It's a lot of fun to play and watch.
Especially since threre are weight class limitations and there are different dropdeck rules for each drop.

For a single rule set it's probably best going for:
  • 2/2/2/2
  • A single duplicate chassis allowed
  • If you have to go for a max. tonnage go for 490 or 500

#22 Wendel1300

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 210 posts
  • LocationSW-Germany

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

in case of 2/2/2/2: no double Chassis
in case of Tonnage: no double Chassis or just double one Chassis and no double Variants

#23 AngelusDD

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Participant
  • WC 2018 Participant
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:54 PM

Keep it simple:

No Chassis or Class restriction

Minimum Weight: 300t
Maximum Weight: 500t (or maybe 520t)

gives you enough flexibility, and quite some variations with the chassis.

#24 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostKaeseblock, on 05 April 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

MRBCs system works pretty well. It's a lot of fun to play and watch.
Especially since threre are weight class limitations and there are different dropdeck rules for each drop.

For a single rule set it's probably best going for:
  • 2/2/2/2
  • A single duplicate chassis allowed
  • If you have to go for a max. tonnage go for 490 or 500

This. I would strongly encourage PGI to consider adopting the majority of rules of an existing league that people agree is fair and balanced. I would also strongly recommend that PGI put some thought into how maps and sides are selected for the drops, as map side imbalance on some game modes is real, and could heavily favor some teams.

#25 JaidenHaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:03 AM

I'd like to keep it simple as well.

Range: 300-500 tons
Restrictions: no duplicate Mech chassis AND no Hero mechs

Right now, Heros are an incentive that make MWO look like it is pay2win. Without this restriction, you're actively encouraging that. In my eyes, it would be better to stick to normal and Champion variants. That also gets rid of some of the more extreme mechs like the Oxide and Boars Head, which would be fair.

Edited by JaidenHaze, 06 April 2016 - 12:05 AM.

#26 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:18 AM

It will be totally up to the teams playing what they bring and there is bound to be those who will try the light's only rush or assault only rush, here is where we find out who has the courage and who has cowadice, 800 tons sounds good and I believe will allow those who are not participating to see what teams are fighting with skill not just a mass of cr*p thus reshaping the way players will view units in the future, every units reputation will be riding on their choices, this is a game of honour and the WC's will be a combat of honour.
IMHO

#27 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

There should be some limitations about duplicating chassis, or we might end up with 8 timberwolves vs 8 timberwolves or whatever is now mathematecally the best chassis...

#28 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:03 AM

View PostJaidenHaze, on 06 April 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

I'd like to keep it simple as well.

Range: 300-500 tons
Restrictions: no duplicate Mech chassis AND no Hero mechs

Right now, Heros are an incentive that make MWO look like it is pay2win. Without this restriction, you're actively encouraging that. In my eyes, it would be better to stick to normal and Champion variants. That also gets rid of some of the more extreme mechs like the Oxide and Boars Head, which would be fair.

This part is not a problem with the tournament. All games are held on a separate client with nearly unlimited Cbills/GXP and MC for the participants to use freely (much like the public test erver... which is probably also the server which will be used for the tournament. lol) . This means even if a player is a free to play user in MWO, for the tournament he can use whatever premium or regular mech he wants to without any fear of being at a disadvantage against a paying user.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 06 April 2016 - 01:04 AM.

#29 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:07 AM

Primus of ComStar

How many games is there ? EG just 1 drop ?

#30 coe7

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

2/2/2/2 no dupes.

#31 War Steiner

• PipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 95 posts
  • LocationTerceira, Azores, Portugal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:50 AM

Random trial mechs! 800 ton max.

#32 Unendingmenace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDropship Dire Wolf

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

Before I could 100% commit to an opinion on this I need more information: As in gametype/map/amount of rounds/etc as the variation in those can drastically change the dynamics of how effective tonnage rules would work.

That being said in a Worldwide Tournament that hopes to draw out the best, I would think that teams would want to build strategies and team mech makeups that would suit most situations with allowances for certain extremes; So in that sense an 800 ton limit would be good as teams could run whatever makeup they want but at the same time it would force them to have to try and cater for any other possible enemy team makeup, essentially reiterating my initial point.

On the flip side a 300 min / 550 max would most certainly pave way for much more technical and thought-out makeups and eliminate full light / 100 ton assault teams.

#33 Ranger Dave

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

No duplicates and 2/2/2/2 would certainlly showcase the diversity of mechs (and curtail the oxcidocalypse).

Adding a tonnage limit of around 360-440 would increase the challenge of designing drop lists.
Would be really interesting to see stock mechs with no modules, but that may be a little hardcore.

#34 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:09 AM

Why class base ?

Tons bring more fun to the game.

Should i bring a Urby to upgrade my heavy to an ***.

Tons all the way

#35 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:39 AM

Why tons at all?
tons as balance factor do imply that the more the better.
But seriously - Gargoyle - TimberWolf? StormCrow - MadDog?

Just keep it 800tons or if you really want a limit - look for working community driven leagues, those systems are proven and working for years - Its not always the best thing to create an own path through the woods when there is already a highway parallel to your route.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 06 April 2016 - 04:40 AM.

#36 n4sty

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:40 AM

Tonnage limit is hardly effective, especially for skirmish-type game modes. Even if combined with some duplicate restriction you will mostly tend to the middle of the tonnage range because these mechs boat the best fire power/speed/durability per ton. This is exactly why people primarily use (have used) CW dropdecks consisting of TBR/HBR/EBJ/SCR or BLR/TDR/WVR (now BLR/GRH/QKD). Mech tonnage vs. mech effectiveness is simply not balanced (enough) and imho very hard to balance at all, but if they were no tonnage restrictions, you wouldn't need the balancing.

I highly encourage to use 2/2/2/2 without duplicates - all tech/weapons/modules allowed. Most simple, most interesting in terms of mech variety.

PS: Even CW would be much more intersting if it had a 1/1/1/1 dropdeck rule without further restricitons.

Edited by n4sty, 06 April 2016 - 04:41 AM.

#37 SilverMalachite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

Hello
Tonnage limits should not be the issue, Brackets should be.

My opinion is have light/medium/heavy/assault brackets.

For example 8v8 Assault battlemech bracket

Where only Assault battlemechs are aloud and the same for the other classes, it is the only way to do it.
Not everyone is good at the light or medium or heavy or assault classes.

After all this is Solaris we are talking about from what I've heard.

Mixed tonnage:
  • If you want to have an mixed class bracket, then the tonnage limits should be high enough to stop the light class swarming & low enough to stop the assault class from tromping
  • Enabling each team to field battlemechs to complement battle tactics, from brute force to Skirmishing an beyond
Keep up the good work

kind regards

EarthVen

Edited by EarthVen, 06 April 2016 - 04:49 AM.

#38 RJF Gnom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:04 AM

#39 Xozia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

So if we want to allow 2/2/2/2 but don't want anything insane I would first look at the possibilities:

20+20+40+40+60+60+80+80=400
25+25+45+45+65+65+85+85=440
30+30+50+50+70+70+90+90=480
35+35+55+55+75+75+95+95=520
35+35+55+55+75+75+100+100=530

I would want to allow the minimum of 400t but not leave the maximum at 530t, because that's too much weight for my taste. I think the best maximum would be 460t as it would allow for some wiggle room but keeping the drop decks limited.
Also I would want to stick with a tonnage limit and not restricted to 2/2/2/2 (while still allowing for it). I believe this would both require the players to adapt to the lower tonnage limit while still providing for variety (both for the enjoyment of the matches as well as showing off MWO with all weight classes represented). Also, regarding the necessary variety, the only 'mechs that could be used by all players would be 50-55 tonners, so the worst that could happen would be an all medium deck.

Additionally, I like the possibility of having more than one of the same chassis, but limiting to one of each variant per team (So you can bring a total of 6 hunchbacks if that's what you want, and no more than 4 shadow cats). This, again will provide for variety while still allowing to possibility of a more uniform look on a team as well as flexibility for decision-making.

In conclusion:
400t-460t, no other weight/class restrictions
No duplicate variants, no other chassis restrictions

#40 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

View PostTamerlin, on 05 April 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

ignore tonnage. 2/2/2/2, with no duplicate chasis. Any tie-breaker goes to the team with the lighter total tonnage.

Fantastic idea! This actually encourages teams to take lighter mechs in each weight class, which are often non-ideal. ..Though, not by much, as ties occur only occasionally. But 2/2/2/2 with no duplicates would make things very interesting and varied.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users