104 replies to this topic

#41 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

I would like to see a random max tonnage limit. Anything from 350 tons to 750 tons. 50ton increments. You really couldn't plan too much in advance and would have to master mechs from light to assault... The ton limit and map given, give teams 10 minutes or ready to plan tactics, build mechs... Of course the accounts would have the mechs from previous tournament matches available.

It would really reveal the best MechWarriors as you would have to plan for the weight class and map and beat the other team on the battlefield.

#42 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Why not go a bit of the beaten track. Make the fights faster and grittier. Besides, assault mechs are supposed to be rare powerhouses.

How about a 3/2/2/1 setup?

I don't think ever having seen this composition and I believe it could force teams to make hard decisions in terms of scouting, movement/positioning and protecting the heavy hitters.

#43 Currywurst44

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

- 2/2/2/2
- max one double chasis
- no double variants
- max 455t (20+30+40+50+60+70+80+95+10; one mech with minimum tonnage for each class, one mech with 5 below max tonnage for each class and 10 extra tons)

#44 Baron von ztreik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 890 posts
  • LocationGDR

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

Random Trail

#45 WantNone

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

Whatever the aim of the tournament (max entertainment, hopefully, and good advertisement for the game?), would it be an idea to run some de-risking games where top/eager teams are invited to try out different tonnage/mech schemes & maps to see which format of the game brings the most entertainment?

Do you have a clear understanding of what brings the most entertainment? Brawling, sniping, tactical play, combinations of all game elements etc? With that aim understood, I imagine it'll be easier to craft your competition rules/formats to encourage a style of play that will be an advert for the game.

Apologies if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs Posted Image

PS I agree with a lot of people saying ~470tons. As above, I think you might want to try it out, first, and iterate as you see fit :)

Edited by WantNone, 06 April 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#46 Husker Adama

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 83 posts
  • LocationBourgogne, France

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

Look to the side of MRBC rules. It allows various good fights with several différent tonage limits.

- Conquest mode is more dynamic than skirmish and prevent from Boring camping
- mech restrictions for each drop is more fun

#47 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostJaidenHaze, on 06 April 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

I'd like to keep it simple as well.

Range: 300-500 tons
Restrictions: no duplicate Mech chassis AND no Hero mechs

Right now, Heros are an incentive that make MWO look like it is pay2win. Without this restriction, you're actively encouraging that. In my eyes, it would be better to stick to normal and Champion variants. That also gets rid of some of the more extreme mechs like the Oxide and Boars Head, which would be fair.

You will be able to get hero mechs for free in the tournament this build so that isn't a concern.

Also, the Boar's Head is irrelevant.

#48 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

No, don't implement this 2/2/2/2 rule.

Every player should play the Mech he/she wants.

But limit the tonnage to about 550 tons, so that one Team cannot drop with 4 Daishis because there is not enough tonnage left for the other Mechs.

#49 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

After reading many of the other comments, I am favoring the 2/2/2/2 480 Ton limit. I had originally favored 560 tons with no class number requirements.

Edited by Rampage, 06 April 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#50 Ximenes Uzeda

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

2 of each weight class, min and max allowed.

2 light: 20+35
2 medium: 40+55
2 heavy: 60+75
2 Assault: 80+10

--------------------------------

465 tons

#51 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

Another pileon for 2/2/2/2 no dupes by chassis.

#52 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

My proposal would be:
2/2/2/2
no duplicate mechs
4 IS mechs and 4 clan mechs.

#53 Meihru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 378 posts
  • LocationGrafschaft Bentheim/Germany

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

2/2/2/2, 1 dupe allowed, max 3 clan mechs

#54 BluefireMW

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

between
320 and 360t

Because no one wants to see a fight with to much hvy and assault.
And it's a Championship.

So people should be able to play with less then maximum tonnage.

#55 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

I would like to see a max 2/3/3/2 (anything from 2/3/3/0 over 2/2/2/2 to 0/3/3/2 is possible), no duplicates (so only one Jenner, one Blackjack or one Dire Wolf) and a max tonnage of 480 (or 500)

#56 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

This is something that should have be fully thought out before tournament play was even posted.
Because we have mechlab ability and everyone builds a mech accordingly. Mechs as well as weight should be limited to encourage fair and exciting play.

I think the best solution here is to use trial mechs or default load outs including heroes and champions. Teams can select their 8 chassis as well as their 4 sub in chassis's but must remain inside a 450 ton drop limit for match play. Chassis can not be changed once the line up has been set.

Winners can then add salvaged chassis's from the losing teams drop to their list of chassis and drop them as needed inside of the drop limit of 450 tons. Salvage should be random and only up to 25% of the chassis dropped should be salvageable to keep it interesting and fun.

#57 Frost Pendragon

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Class based system with 2/2/2/2 is optimal for a variety of teams.

if min max tonnage is a must, then 450 ton benchmark witha fluctuation of 25 tons is a good balance point that allows teams to bring a variety of decks.

On the topic of diversity, beware the possibility of showcasing the game as 6 griffins and 2 oxides on canyon, fighting a mirror deck. Consider chassis restrctions to prevent that.

Edited by Frost Pendragon, 06 April 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#58 hideyourkids

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

Personally, the more interesting tournaments are the ones that require unique deck building rules. So my suggestion is no duplicate chassis, best of 5 in qualifying and best of 7 in regionals and finals. and 2/2/2/2 for the first 3-4 drops and 480 tons for the last 2-3 drops. we will see a diversity of both mechs and strategies. no limits on clan vs is.

#59 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

Since, you do this tournament partly (mostly?) for advertising, you should display as much from MWO, as you just can (I mean, the participants are top players, not glasses.. they can take the hard way too..)

Basic rules:
- 2/2/2/2 (I hate it ingame, but you will show the diversity of Mechs in MWO.. Right?)
- no double chassis (same reason = 12 different Mechs pro Team!)
- every Hero and Champion can be used (Tournament Server will be with unlimited MC.. so.. let them use it)

So.. in that case:
- tonnage min.: 2 x (20+40+60+80) = 400 t
- tonnage max: 2 x (35+55+75+100) = 530 t

Ye.. just for trolling the hardcore BT fanbase: least 3 IS/Clan Mechs pro Team..

Edited by Sky Hawk, 06 April 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#60 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

2/2/2/2, no duplicate chassis would likely be most interesting, and has my first vote.

400 max tonnage (50 ton average) is probably too low.
520 max tonnage (65 ton average) is probably too high.
The "goldilocks zone" is probably 440-480 max tonnage.

We need a "no duplicate chassis" provision in order to encourage diverse game play.

Having chassis and weight class restrictions will help ensure that the teams don't immediately go to the high end of the weight brackets when choosing their 'mechs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users