99 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

I played in Microsoft's 1999 MechWarrior 3 tournament and any controller of the time was allowed and joystick was the suggested controller, but mouse and joysticks and keyboard was all allowed.

I had to drop out of that one because my teammate was from England and it was US only for the finals, but we got that far. He used a mouse and joystick, I used a Sidewinder joystick only.

I realize MWO is Mouse preferred, but many are using just a joystick so this has to be pointed out. Maybe in the future you would consider further controller options.

I don't think I have time right now to do a tourney anyway so no problem, but I would only use my Thrustmaster T-16000m or similar accuracy enabled joystick. Despite what mouse users say, some joysticks are just as accurate as a mouse and I do very well with it.

#2 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

I loved my Thrustmaster for MW4. Such an accurate joystick.

#3 Splatshot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

It only traditional if you used one.

I played since MW2, never used a joy stick, always thought they limited you, with lack of button and choices.

#4 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

My joystick disagrees with you. Trigger, 4 thumb buttons, 8 way top hat, two base buttons and a throttle.

#5 TheIronButcher

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFoley Al.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:29 AM

I agree, it depends what joystick you have. Traditionally the Mech pods all had Joy sticks designed into the console and a properly set joystick is far surpiorior except when in sniper mode . With the right set up you can have both hands,on 1 joystick working 8 buttons athrottle and all axis simultaniously.

#6 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

I want to see a single tier 1 player to vouch for joystick use in competitive tournament.

That said, no reason for it to be disallowed because it gives you no advantage whatsoever.

#7 FuDawg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 129 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

You people are so spoiled :) I learned how to change my very first video adapter in my 8088 12Mhz system playing the original Mechwarrior. I bet y'all don't even know what an EGA card was :)

#8 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

I miss my Extreme 3D Pro. Used it in MechWarrior 3, and in MechWarrior 4s. Loved it.

#9 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:50 AM

View PostFuDawg, on 08 April 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

I bet y'all don't even know what an EGA card was Posted Image

Too many colours for my pc for sure. CGA all the way.

#10 Waffles 2pt0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostSsamout, on 10 April 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

View PostFuDawg, on 08 April 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

You people are so spoiled Posted Image I learned how to change my very first video adapter in my 8088 12Mhz system playing the original Mechwarrior. I bet y'all don't even know what an EGA card was Posted Image

Too many colours for my pc for sure. CGA all the way.

When I saw the first post from FuDawg, I was going to log in and cheekily mention the CGA card. Then I scrolled all the way down and saw Ssamout's post and needed to log in to say ...

Cheers to you both mates. Good to see some folks from the g-olden-days. Posted Image

Edited by S u n d o g, 10 April 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#11 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 07 April 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I played in Microsoft's 1999 MechWarrior 3 tournament and any controller of the time was allowed and joystick was the suggested controller, but mouse and joysticks and keyboard was all allowed.

I had to drop out of that one because my teammate was from England and it was US only for the finals, but we got that far. He used a mouse and joystick, I used a Sidewinder joystick only.

I realize MWO is Mouse preferred, but many are using just a joystick so this has to be pointed out. Maybe in the future you would consider further controller options.

I don't think I have time right now to do a tourney anyway so no problem, but I would only use my Thrustmaster T-16000m or similar accuracy enabled joystick. Despite what mouse users say, some joysticks are just as accurate as a mouse and I do very well with it.

"This isn't your Dad's Mechwarrior"

#12 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

View PostPineapple Salad, on 08 April 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

I want to see a single tier 1 player to vouch for joystick use in competitive tournament.

That said, no reason for it to be disallowed because it gives you no advantage whatsoever.

I cant vouch for a normal joystick but a fragchuck and mouse combo work well. Although it seems its not allowed.

https://world.splitf...uck-pc-mac.html

Posted Image

#13 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:35 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 10 April 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

I cant vouch for a normal joystick but a fragchuck and mouse combo work well. Although it seems its not allowed.

https://world.splitf...uck-pc-mac.html

Posted Image

Some players also use those gaming keypads, some of which have an analog thumbstick. I have a N52te, but haven't used it in a long time. Also I found the d-pad unwieldy for moving and used it as a weapon selector instead and used the WASD equivalent for moving.

#14 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:12 AM

View PostPineapple Salad, on 10 April 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

Some players also use those gaming keypads, some of which have an analog thumbstick. I have a N52te, but haven't used it in a long time. Also I found the d-pad unwieldy for moving and used it as a weapon selector instead and used the WASD equivalent for moving.

I tried the gaming keypads with thumbsticks but did not like how it felt. I really like the splitfish though.

#15 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostStoneblade, on 10 April 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

"This isn't your Dad's Mechwarrior"

Hush now. I joined 3 days before you in 2011 and why do you bring up Mech Assault's slogan (which didn't work, was just divisive)?

Joystick is just a better game experience as a mech pilot. I will never use a Mouse and there are many like me. If MWO was Mouse-only I would not play it. I don't expect PGI to support joysticks in any official contest due to the problems from custom hardware, but no harm in putting it out there.

#16 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 01 June 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Hush now. I joined 3 days before you in 2011 and why do you bring up Mech Assault's slogan (which didn't work, was just divisive)?

Joystick is just a better game experience as a mech pilot. I will never use a Mouse and there are many like me. If MWO was Mouse-only I would not play it. I don't expect PGI to support joysticks in any official contest due to the problems from custom hardware, but no harm in putting it out there.

That quote is from the PC Gamers review of MWO during the beta. You know, when you had to write your own code so that MWO would work with a joystick.

edit: also I know many MWO players that use the mouse for aiming and the joystick for movement instead of a keyboard.

Edited by Stoneblade, 01 June 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#17 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

Joysticks take far too much full arm movement for what i can do with a flick of the wrist. They're far too clumsy for fine maneuvering or fine aiming.

This is not a joystick game whatsoever.

#18 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostPoorDecisions, on 01 June 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

Joysticks take far too much full arm movement for what i can do with a flick of the wrist. They're far too clumsy for fine maneuvering or fine aiming.

This is not a joystick game whatsoever.

Disagree. Joystick gives greater accuracy if it's a good one. Mouse is fast to aim, but also takes more work to maintain the aim. Joystick is far superior for piloting the mech, especially while shooting. I don't want to turn this into a joystick debate, but you don't know how good a joystick can be if you don't put some effort into learning it. Joysticks were poorly supported at first in MWO and most just gave up on it in order to be able to aim, but this is no longer true.

@Stoneblade, PC Gamer was aping Mech Assault's sales slogan which was, "Not your Daddy's MechWarrior". That went over like a lead balloon.

Anyway, I just wanted to plant the idea of joystick support, but I don't think it could possibly happen in MWO tournaments.

#19 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 01 June 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Disagree. Joystick gives greater accuracy if it's a good one. Mouse is fast to aim, but also takes more work to maintain the aim. Joystick is far superior for piloting the mech, especially while shooting. I don't want to turn this into a joystick debate, but you don't know how good a joystick can be if you don't put some effort into learning it. Joysticks were poorly supported at first in MWO and most just gave up on it in order to be able to aim, but this is no longer true.

Not sure why you'd say that you don't want to turn this into a debate... and then go right on debating LOL but I have put effort into learning how to play with joysticks. I play certain games to this day with joysticks. MWO is not a joystick game and it never will be.

Anyway, I just wanted to plant the idea of joystick support, but I don't think it could possibly happen in MWO tournaments.

Name one top tier competitive member or unit that uses joysticks.

There is a reason that this game is dominated by mouse and keyboard and it's not because there's poor support for joysticks. Posted Image

#20 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

MechWarrior has always been a joystick game. That's why it should be allowed in MWO's tournaments.

If you have a good joystick the results are similar to a mouse and keyboard.

If MWO supported ranked 1v1 duels you could test that. MWO's tier system just lumps everything together, does not account for the mech used so it is more of a style analysis than a skill measure. Like if I take a certain popular mech (not an assault), I get frequent hat tricks and more, but I don't use that mech very often so those skills do not present themselves for me in the tier rating. Other more stat conscious players use only that mech for the wins and kill count. So you would need a dueling format like Solaris to actually rank players on skill and not style. For the purpose of PUGs, play style is probably the better factor to balance on though.

I guess the Challenges offer a fairly close skill measure though and I usually place in the top 600-500 and once broke into the top 300 with a joystick. But I am not the best player, I am just a casual player now.

Edited by Lightfoot, 04 June 2016 - 10:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users