27 replies to this topic

#1 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

So I've heard that we might finally be able to customize our pilots in a later update.
Correct me if Im wrong but is that confirmed?

Anyway I have a couple of things that might do wonders with immersion or just, you know cosmetics.

1: Choose between male and female models

2: Be able to pick different pilot suits. Ive heard that in lore there are just jackets and underwear, overalls etc

3: Be able to choose colors for primary, secondary and tertiary details. Where primary are the majority of the suits, while secondary are underlayer and tertiary are straps, belts, cooling stuff etc.

4: The pilot customization gets its own tab in the mechbay menu.

5: I bet you will not be able to customize your character pilots face, so lets go with neuro helmets. You can get to choose from an array of those with full covering or half covering versions, maybe even shades, mask etc

6: You could show your pilot standing next to your currently chosen mech with an on/ off option int the Settings menu. Would be pretty awesome to see the size differences doing this. As an bonus, PGI could add simple animation showing your pilot climbing into the mech or leaning his shoulder against its feet. Maybe an animation where your pilot are show talking to other animated dudes and dudetes which are technichians, mechanics and so on.

All this toggable of course.

7: In some kind of Faction warfare and future Solaris screen. Your custom pilot could be shown among other pilots.

8: Make IS and Clan pilots different. As far as I know clanners are always bulkier and more burly (at least the mech warriors). Since some of us might have both Clan and IS mechs, we could be able to at least create 2 pilots.

9: Make customization options worth getting. Fair pricing, as rewards and such. Maybe patterns on suits could be thing as well. But dont make colors locked or only for mc. Or else all we be pretty similar from the get go. Stuff that pilots use to have with them in their cockpit could be a fourth slot in the cockpit items menu among "standing", "hanging", "mounted" Call it accessory, throphy, heriloom or something.

Anyone else having thoughts on this subject? Feel free to share folks Posted Image

#2 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

I miss my container from EVE... filled with dead bodies....
I really don't care about the pilot model. But if they chose to spend development time on customization, i hope that they make it matter in other contexts than just powerup/shutdown.

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

The coolest thing would be if after the match it shows the teams mechs in a line like some games do after the match, but with the pilots standing in front of the mechs on the ground. This would show scale, pilot and mech customization.

The sim would suffer because some of the mechs were destroyed. So I'm not sure what to think. Maybe for some kind of player profile. Maybe post match cinematic of players that took part, past tense.

Edited by Johnny Z, 07 April 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#4 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 April 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

The coolest thing would be if after the match it shows the teams mechs in a line like some games do after the match, but with the pilots standing in front of the mechs on the ground. This would show scale, pilot and mech customization.

The sim would suffer because some of the mechs were destroyed. So I'm not sure what to think.

Like Mario Kart ? :D
Posted Image

#5 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

Thats some posing right there Posted Image
But yeah, having our pilots posing after a match would be sweet. However all this stuff regarding a pilot shouldnt drain too much resources from PGI, there ARE more important stuff in MWO that need attention aswell. Still immersion is what drags you into a game for a looooong time.

#6 wamX

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 April 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

The sim would suffer because some of the mechs were destroyed. So I'm not sure what to think. Maybe for some kind of player profile. Maybe post match cinematic of players that took part, past tense.

The mechs in a line thing reminds me of Hawken victory screens.

I had a minor idea when i read this, after winning, PGI could set up a few different camera motions, randomly selected after each victory.

1st cinematic:

Your pilot is viewed in the cockpit from the glass, appearing to un-tense and give a fist pump or some motion to indicate happiness of a successful mission. The pilot leans back against the chair a bit more and takes a breather from almost getting ripped apart.

2nd cinematic:

Your pilot is viewed climbing out of the mech where it stands and looking up to the sky to see scripted dropships flying in to provide reinforcements, giving them a salute as the screen fades out.

3rd cinematic (maybe have this one if your mech is destroyed though a component OTHER than the head)

Your pilot is climbing out of the wreckage and follows the same as the second, looking up to see reinforcements and salvage crews flying in to assist.

4th cinematic (perhaps the rarest one to see)

Your mech lies on the ground with the cockpit glass shattered, no signs of your pilot. More of a sad animation, maybe crews appear around the dead mech, medical technicians and salvage teams.

BETTER DEATH SCREENS

Dont force me into an orbiting third person of my dead cockpit, maybe i want to watch something like this:

On Death by leg destruction:

Pilot braces for impact with the ground as the mech topples over, some panic emotions from the pilot expressed from what he/she can see

On death by engine destruction

Pilot again braces for impact with the ground, however the cockpit can have some smoke effect or something to indicate the engine went, one of the cockpit screens can maybe be changed to say "auxiliary life support online" i would expect that there would be some power source to run that considering the CT is the biggest part of the mech.

On death by cockpit destruction

The screen goes black? something to symbolize your pilot got fragged...i dont know, let the cinematics do the talking.

Any opinions?

#7 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

It would be so awesome if you could have your own pilot model, or at least just an picture of your guy like in Eve.

#8 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Sorry... For me the customization of the pilot is akin to lipstick on a pig.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:12 AM

View PostDaZur, on 07 April 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

Well, i for one, think your mother looks nice with lipstick on Posted Image

#10 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

I joking suggested an anthro pilot suit design or camo in anther thread for this for clan players. Design matching patterns and color to suit your mech. Put on clan wolf colors with a clan camo scheme on mech etc. House Kurta with the snake camo paired to a pilots scaly green suit.

Since I assume others wouldn't see your pilot it would be something fun to spend mc/cbills on.

#11 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 07 April 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

I joking suggested an anthro pilot suit design or camo in anther thread for this for clan players. Design matching patterns and color to suit your mech. Put on clan wolf colors with a clan camo scheme on mech etc. House Kurta with the snake camo paired to a pilots scaly green suit.

Since I assume others wouldn't see your pilot it would be something fun to spend mc/cbills on.

I could imagine clanners piloting their mechs in fursuits.

It's definitely a clanner thing to do

#12 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostDaZur, on 07 April 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

And how do you feel about lipstick on a pig... is it good or bad ?

#13 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

What do you want to customize? your legs? Pilot model wont have any use until we can walk out in the mechbay and invite people so we can have a chat with our battlemech towering over us. So i guess we have another 12 years before they are any use.

#14 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

It would be cool if we could have it as an avatar rather than your faction allegiance or something.

#15 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

No, we need features like pilot customization, private hangers, etc. We need things to make this our own space. It's the little details like decals that make us want to make cbills.

And if you don't buy that argument, then do you really want PGI to fix the game like they're going to "fix" Frozen City?

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostwamX, on 07 April 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

I had a minor idea when i read this, after winning, PGI could set up a few different camera motions, randomly selected after each victory.

1st cinematic:

Your pilot is viewed in the cockpit from the glass, appearing to un-tense and give a fist pump or some motion to indicate happiness of a successful mission. The pilot leans back against the chair a bit more and takes a breather from almost getting ripped apart.

2nd cinematic:

Your pilot is viewed climbing out of the mech where it stands and looking up to the sky to see scripted dropships flying in to provide reinforcements, giving them a salute as the screen fades out.

3rd cinematic (maybe have this one if your mech is destroyed though a component OTHER than the head)

Your pilot is climbing out of the wreckage and follows the same as the second, looking up to see reinforcements and salvage crews flying in to assist.

Your mech lies on the ground with the cockpit glass shattered, no signs of your pilot. More of a sad animation, maybe crews appear around the dead mech, medical technicians and salvage teams.

BETTER DEATH SCREENS

Dont force me into an orbiting third person of my dead cockpit, maybe i want to watch something like this:

Pilot braces for impact with the ground as the mech topples over, some panic emotions from the pilot expressed from what he/she can see

Pilot again braces for impact with the ground, however the cockpit can have some smoke effect or something to indicate the engine went, one of the cockpit screens can maybe be changed to say "auxiliary life support online" i would expect that there would be some power source to run that considering the CT is the biggest part of the mech.

The screen goes black? something to symbolize your pilot got fragged...i dont know, let the cinematics do the talking.

Any opinions?

This would be amazing, going this route. There are other games out at the moment with after match screens similar to what Hawken has but something like that is what I was thinking for post match. Again in paste tense somehow, even if implied or with immersive text, so as to not ruin the sim.

Even how Star Citizen pilots enter their ships is actually an animation that plays. A character animation. Having this in some way for MechWarrior but maybe done in the mechbay in a different way would be great. Or how MechWarrior 2 did it with a dropship launching. Leaning toward more focus on scale of the mechs and the MechWarrior. Showing off the awesome mech customization and potentially awesome pilot customization.

Some games have player profile that other players can look up and the pilot standing in front of the mech would be great for this to. Not sure how else this sort of thing can be used but the comments in the quote look really great.

This isn't relevant because of most likely being done with an eject pod with rocket booster for the sim, but the eject animation is really a must have.

Edited by Johnny Z, 07 April 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#17 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

I think a lot of those points will be more likely that you might think.

Gender, IS/Clan suit and colour customization were all things mentioned from Russ so you can probably take that away as a SoonTM. Which is better than NeverTM.

And if we have those, then we're likely going to need a new screen to modify these things on. If we're getting a new screen, it's possible they'll use the opportunity to really flesh out that screen provide player stats and such for all those players that really only care about their l33t gamin' skillz.

Aaaaand, if you get all of that, it's even more possible that they'll try and use said resources in as many areas as possible to make it worthwhile. So I can imagine at the very least, having your pilot standing near the bottom of your mech in the lab. Or, a proper 3D mechlab they hinted on aaaaaaages ago with various views.

Tie in Solaris in the future where personal identification will be important and... well, I'm excited. :)

#18 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostwamX, on 07 April 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

1st cinematic:

2nd cinematic:

BETTER DEATH SCREENS

Any opinions?
Yes they can take 1 year to do all this or take the same time to actually fix the game and make it better, i know id rather they worked on the actual game

#19 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 07 April 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

Well, i for one, think your mother looks nice with lipstick on Posted Image

Class it up punk.

My mothers no pig... She's a Sus.

Heathen Posted Image

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 07 April 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

And how do you feel about lipstick on a pig... is it good or bad ?

Indifferent? Posted Image

#20 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

View PostDaZur, on 07 April 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

Class it up punk.

My mothers no pig... She's a Sus.

Sus scrofa domesticus.