So Russ Said In The Town Hall That Pve Will Be Standalone. What Could That Mean?

79 replies to this topic

#41 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

View Postzagibu, on 08 April 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

I doubt they will develop it themselves. Probably provide the art assets that already exist, but let a low key studio make the game.

... PGI already is the low key studio. How much lower can you get?

#42 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:11 AM

View PostCathy, on 08 April 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

Ok serious answer.

or rather a thought.

Domination the latest piece of PGI brilliance happened because they said the voting system didn't split queues.

in 2017 there is the turn based Battletech, I can't see with PGI's slow assed development a PvE stand alone happening until 2018 earliest assuming this is still running at all, surely most will play that and abandon the PvP and cause more splitting of population

Wouldn't doubt it, I know personally, I'll still play this, but my primary focus would shift to the stand alone single player experience, simply because MWO has gotten fairly stale in it's current iteration.

I dunno, maybe if they do with CW what they should have ages ago, and made it a self contained economy with it's own Repair/Rearm costs and various other meaningful stuff, I'd focus on that more... but at this juncture, I just can't care enough to even put the time in.

#43 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:13 AM

Stand-alone means that it will not share mechs between MWO and single player (i.e. you can't bring your ultra personalized timber until you build it in single player)...
It might also mean that we will have to buy it separately...
But... and this could be huge... if it's standalone it means we might be able to MOD IT.
*Drool*

Edited by TheCharlatan, 09 April 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#44 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:23 AM

You'll buy the PVE game separately.

No, you won't import content between the two. That would make creating a PvE campaign unbalanced plus if you want to get gear you get it the same way the rest of us did - with cash, then sucking at it while you get it to elite unless you spend more cash to spend converted GXP to unlock it immediately.

I doubt they will have the same mechanics to buy mechs for the PvE campaign but you probably will need to buy additional expansions and such. Expect the PvE game to be like every other PvE game. You'll buy it and buy additional content for it. Expect it to be insanely monetized in the same way the current PvP game is.

That's all my assumptions but I'd bet money on them.

#45 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 08 April 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

People are generalizing PvE and a single-player game when they're not the same thing. PvE is a very general concept that applies to anything in which players verse non-players. So think co-op, waves, hopefully extra AI units for various game types. CW maybe. They've been working on AI for some time now so while distant, it's hopefully not too distant.

They're not going to make PvE separate, because that makes no sense, even for PGI. It'd be a huge drain on resources on them and probably end up costing them more than they make from it.

Now, a single-player version would likely be a small spin-off using MWO as a base, and that would be seperate. I can envisage something along the lines of MW4:Mercs missions with a separate economy in-between where you can repair mechs, buy new mechs and parts etc. I can't really see how you'd F2P a single player game, so that would likely be treated like a one-off purchase and wouldn't include MP elements.

I agree to an extent.

I think your right it would be a drain, and will be a co-op against an AI, and it will be lance strength, like armoured warfare, and small set piece battles, so think the zombie swam's in the training grounds, but you have an objective. I don't think it will be story generated.

I think those people hoping for something that complex, are going to be disappointed.

However I think P.G.I as usual, with their stunningly incapable way of explaining things properly, have caused this wild speculation, because Russ said it would be standalone.

I also think it's going to cause a big split, in population, if it ever arrives, and I stand by my 2018 claim, because of P.G.I's slow assed way of doing things, because a lot of people in this game, don't really want to do PvP and really want to do a solo story like MW3.

If my speculation is correct and it is Co-op against A.I's its going to be incredibly boring, so be warned.

How can I say all this, I play Armoured Warfare, and I play it 70-30 in favour of PvE though the PvP in itself is extremely good, roughly 85% of the population play co-op, and there are far longer pvp wait times than here, because of this. It's only really worth playing pvp in prime times, even then you can be waiting for 3 minutes, can go as high as 15 at midnight, and I'm told it's worse on the North American servers.

So I think PvP wait times will go up a lot here, and most small groups of people will play co-op rather than get stomped in group pvp, so whatever P.G.I do it will split the queue's

I said it was boring co-op in Armoured warfare, it is, on a setting lower than hard, and even then once you know the spawn points, it's not that hard, but you have to concentrate and well..like here..PUG's.

It does have something that makes it worthwhile which this game is never going to have, unless they basically build a new game. Tiers it gives you a goal, you want to drive and fight an Abrams M1 or a Challenger those are t7 so you grind the others and you have a sense of achievement as you get through the tiers, here once you have your mech mastered, what's the point, you'll learn the spawns and how to deal with them in a week or two if there is any hope for you,there isn't any great prize of a random drop to sell, or own like a real MMO.

Sure you have you R.L friends and your other gaming friends to group up with and have fun with, but surely its best to have fun somewhere, you can achieve a target and a goal, there won't be anything like that here, so why co-op in MWO

#46 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:58 AM

Hopefully it's a low cost, fun game that will draw players to the pvp side. If they make the mechanics and mech lab the same, it will be the ultimate tutorial.

#47 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:57 AM

Might have to spend MC to buy the campaign or whatever it is they are calling it

#48 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:12 AM

I want to care about pve so bad but i honestly cant. I dislike deadlines that are just in the clouds...i dislike it so much because its just a 100% let down. If you get an announcement like say " pve end of 2016 here are some highlights of whats been worked on so far and whats down the pipeline". Then i wouldnt mind if that deadline gets extended. Getting a unsure deadline just fuels topics like this where WE, the pilots, the community are left to assume whats gonna happen. FFS PGI.... grow a set. Either announce a solid release date or just plain and simple just say not going to happen this year. So tired of town halls with oh...looking and possibly getting this done or thay done.... its like pouring concrete into the ocean and hope it sets into a perfect foundation./throws hands in air rant off

Edited by Robot Kenshiro, 09 April 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#49 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:12 AM

At least they are doing a PVE game. As for development time, I wouldn't be surprised if they used some of the older assets from what they were working with "Before" they started working on MWO. For those that had been paying attention, before MWO, they had been working on a PVE title (Mechwarrior Reboot) which got called off and switched over to making MWO instead. So the PVE game may be what they were originally working on and using the assets they made for MWO to make the 2 games consistent visually, then adding in a story, PVE A.I., etc. which I will be looking forward to, for as much as I love MWO, I've missed having a story to play thru.

#50 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

View PostFelio, on 08 April 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

According to the notes, anyway. He's staying mum on Twitter about what that means.

So... a separate game entirely? But he has said it would be co-op as well as singleplayer, I thought. It would seem odd to make two multiplayer games using the same assets.

So did he mean none of our mechs, or XP will transfer between the modes? We'll have to buy and level everything twice?

I know nobody knows, I'm just wondering what people think could happen.

Actually, I believe by stand alone he means you will not need to be online to play the single player. This is beneficial to all of us in 3 areas.

>If the servers are offline, or MWO eventually dies out we will still have a game to play and it adds value to our digital goods. Making them actually ours. I'm heavily invested into MWO and I shudder to think if the servers go offline all my money does too, in this case I would still have a place to play my stompy robits.

>We won't have to worry about pings and HSR server issues in PVE where it shouldn't matter, may be a small issue if you do coop and your host has a bad connection, but it's just bots ;) not egos.

>When you need a break or want to play MWO you can at anytime, like during server maintenance you could fire up PVE.

#51 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

View PostCathy, on 08 April 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Nope Game went live on Sept 26th 2013 without the UI2 or CW.

In December 2013 a new road map was introduced saying CW beta would be ready by fall 2014 latest, it launched December 21st 2014

Sad really when you think of how little CW phase 1 included

Ah. So its just they should have been working on it for a year at that point. Even now my estimates is that they've only actually put about 3 weeks of actual times towards it if that much.

#52 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

View Postsycocys, on 09 April 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

Ah. So its just they should have been working on it for a year at that point. Even now my estimates is that they've only actually put about 3 weeks of actual times towards it if that much.

Well I think PVE is coming after the engine upgrade, at least I hope so, I'd rather have it done in the new engine then wasting time porting it over.

And trust me I really want PVE

#53 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostImperius, on 09 April 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

Well I think PVE is coming after the engine upgrade, at least I hope so, I'd rather have it done in the new engine then wasting time porting it over.

And trust me I really want PVE

PVE + PGI = snoozefest. They can't even manage to set up simple objectives for the game they have now, much less do anything to incorporate lore beyond slapping names on thing - the chances of them being able to actually deliver even a halfway decent PVE is pretty slim.

#54 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

View Postsycocys, on 09 April 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

PVE + PGI = snoozefest. They can't even manage to set up simple objectives for the game they have now, much less do anything to incorporate lore beyond slapping names on thing - the chances of them being able to actually deliver even a halfway decent PVE is pretty slim.

A bit over the top negative or what? That the current modes and maps get so much play shows that they were done well. Fairly simple really.

Improvements and additions needed? Of course but just negative comments is a bit counter productive maybe.

With so many total fail games out lately I find it even harder to be negative about one of the very few that may actually make a great next gen game.

Edited by Johnny Z, 09 April 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#55 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

View Postsycocys, on 09 April 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

I thought they showed great promise in the Mech Academy

#56 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostImperius, on 09 April 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

Well the Mech Academy shows some systems are working but not very fun or inspiring. Cool name for it though, at least the Academy part. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 09 April 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#57 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Remember what Russ said in the previous Town Hall, guys. His vision for PVE isn't just shooting bots in a coop mission. He plans to go the whole nine yards. Mix between MW1 campaign and MW2 Mercs. Time will tell if their plans change, or if he's just trying to keep the hype alive to retain interest in MWO, but if you take his word as gospel, it does sound very promising.

http://mwomercs.com/...layer-campaign/

View PostImperius, on 09 April 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

I thought it was one of the worst tutorials I've played in recent times. Some kind of inconsistent setting that felt like half-computer simulation and half live exercise. Compared to the Hawken tutorial, it was extremely poor. Indeed, even Mechwarrior 2 had better tutorials, in my mind. Maybe not as efficient or stimulating, but much better in terms of immersion. And PVE is all about the immersion, for me.

However, I hope they will get some help from new people when they begin working on the PVE part of the game. Maybe they can even get some help from Catalyst, who knows?

#58 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 09 April 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

A bit over the top negative or what? That the current modes and maps get so much play shows that they were done well.

What that shows is you have no choice, it has nothing to do if they are done well or not.

If you want to play MW you play poorly designed modes.

#59 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

View Postsycocys, on 09 April 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

What that shows is you have no choice, it has nothing to do if they are done well or not.

If you want to play MW you play poorly designed modes.

Partly right for sure. Haha, this reasoning explains a lot of things. But the fact is that this game is offering maybe the best battles of any game out. That Battetech and MechWarrior have the best factions and potential atmosphere of any other game, yet hasn't capitalized on either doesn't take away from its good points. It just sucks. :)

If my guess about the Star Wars movie Episode 8 is right they may be making a huge move in the right direction though. Or maybe I'm totally wrong. :)

I already said it somewhere else but I think Snoke is leading or is part of what is leading the Sith Galaxy. They have been weakening the Jedi galaxy all these previous movies and are poised to launch an invasion of the Jedi galaxy.

Edited by Johnny Z, 09 April 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#60 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 April 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

Remember what Russ said in the previous Town Hall, guys. His vision for PVE isn't just shooting bots in a coop mission. He plans to go the whole nine yards. Mix between MW1 campaign and MW2 Mercs. Time will tell if their plans change, or if he's just trying to keep the hype alive to retain interest in MWO, but if you take his word as gospel, it does sound very promising.

http://mwomercs.com/...layer-campaign/

I thought it was one of the worst tutorials I've played in recent times. Some kind of inconsistent setting that felt like half-computer simulation and half live exercise. Compared to the Hawken tutorial, it was extremely poor. Indeed, even Mechwarrior 2 had better tutorials, in my mind. Maybe not as efficient or stimulating, but much better in terms of immersion. And PVE is all about the immersion, for me.

However, I hope they will get some help from new people when they begin working on the PVE part of the game. Maybe they can even get some help from Catalyst, who knows?

You known I've always pushed for atmosphere the map redo's were a good start, but I think they could do better, my thoughts are the engine is actually starting to hold them back. (Though I'd say it's been holding them back since they went the route of coding it themselves.)

Edited by Imperius, 09 April 2016 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users