Why Play As Inner Sphere ?

163 replies to this topic

#1 Salvag3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

So I guess my question is what are the plans to get people to keep fielding IS mechs, as more and more clan mechs become available for C-bills I when I look at my options for a drop think that the clan mechs just out class their IS counterparts. The Madcat is a pretty classic example, as soon as I had one I sold my Jagers and my highlander, as well as my catapults. It was a no Brainer it has jump jets, can mount ballistics, can boat lasers, can drop a missile platform, it can fill any of the rolls that any of the 3 other mechs could do but quite frankly do them better. With the exception of the IS light mechs that seem able to get a speed advantage over most clan mechs. I can't see any reason to use IS mechs again, I have sold off my stable all but my trusty Jenner that is for the cbills to collect Clan tech and mechs. Am I the only one that feels this way ? What are peoples thoughts ? And if a dev eyes fall on this post can you shed some light on how you plan to prevent MWOL from becoming Timberwolf Online when the drop for c-bills in Nov lol.

#2 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

Inner Sphere has the best lights. Assaults are debatable, depending on the situation. The only classes dominated by the Clans are heavies (Mad Cat) and mediums (Ryoken), and even in the case of mediums the IS is better at sniping due to the high mounts of Shadow Hawks (Ryoken is the better brawler/striker though).

#3 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

to kick clanners in the butt

some of us like to play in garbage mechs, that way when we beat your elite mechs we can act all smug and stuff

#4 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

I had to do a double check on that post date.

If you honestly think the nerf hammer has grown tired, oh boy, you are in for a shock.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Do the Clans have a WubShee?

I don't think so.

Then again, I don't have the good Clan mechs. After the heat nerfs killed my WubFox, and didn't leave the Nova faring much better, I've gone back to most of my IS builds.

#6 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

Inner sphere have better hardpoints for sniping, more precision damage and lower heat values on many of their weapons.

#7 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Clan nerfs have just started. They're going to get worse and worse. I would never pay cash for a clan mechs until you find out what you really get.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 09 September 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#8 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

So I guess my question is what are the plans to get people to keep fielding IS mechs, as more and more clan mechs become available for C-bills I when I look at my options for a drop think that the clan mechs just out class their IS counterparts. The Madcat is a pretty classic example, as soon as I had one I sold my Jagers and my highlander, as well as my catapults. It was a no Brainer it has jump jets, can mount ballistics, can boat lasers, can drop a missile platform, it can fill any of the rolls that any of the 3 other mechs could do but quite frankly do them better. With the exception of the IS light mechs that seem able to get a speed advantage over most clan mechs. I can't see any reason to use IS mechs again, I have sold off my stable all but my trusty Jenner that is for the cbills to collect Clan tech and mechs. Am I the only one that feels this way ? What are peoples thoughts ? And if a dev eyes fall on this post can you shed some light on how you plan to prevent MWOL from becoming Timberwolf Online when the drop for c-bills in Nov lol.

I hear what you’re saying I am pretty new so I bought a Jager, once I bought it I found out could only mount like three or four weapons

Then I get killed and now I watch and see that the Clan weapons panel takes up 10% of his screen area

When the first IS vs Clan event happened it was pretty fun

If you like underdogs (and most Americans do) then you can see my point it was a challenge the matches I played we only came out on top one time

I wanted to come back on the forum and say IS team meeting now!
Too bad it was over almost as soon as it started.

I just finished watching the town hall meeting and the only thing that gets me interested in CW is the limited Mech concept
Basically this is the year these are the Mechs you have to choose from now figure out how to win

Edited by Davegt27, 10 September 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#9 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

I prefer IS ACs over CUACs as well. The Timber is amazing. The Stormcrow is pretty good. Outside of that, I don't think the Clan equipment is anywhere near as OP as most people claim, not after this most recent round of nerfs. I think now that people are seeing the Nova and Summoner up for C-bills, they're realizing just that. They aren't garbage, but those chassis have serious limitations.

#10 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm on the fence, loyalty-wise when it comes to factions.... And until CW is fully implemented and more details are released I'm staying on the fence.

I like both Davion for IS and Wolf for Clan...but ultimately I want to play for Wolf's Dragoons.

#11 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Well they're going to do a quirk buff on all IS mechs supposedly. Based on their roles.

#12 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Because Clankers have no fun bits.

#13 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostSalvag3, on 09 September 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Because, Clans don't have a LOCUST!!! Its not how many weapons you have, its how you use them. My Kit fox and Nova are sitting in mech bays parked with dust on them. I haven't played a clan mech since a day before the nerf bat came down.

Besides, My Jager DD or S with triple Ultra AC/5's and med laser shred limbs, legs, Torso's of Clan mechs all the time. I have had matches with my damage well into high 900's. 4-6 kills.

I have been one that has really been waiting for the timber to come out for C-bills.... I got a chance to play it on the test server. IMO, yes its a decent heavy mech, yeah it has JJ, but they come at a price of 1 ton per, I really wasn't to impressed with the timbers. Really glad I didn't pull the wallet out for them for sure!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 09 September 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Massive pinpoint damage. The only mechs that can one-hit-kill anything and everything, and the IS has multiple mechs that can do it. Ability to stack in SHS in 80 to 100 ton assaults -- this is handy as you can get better cooling efficiency than doubles with more than 40 of them for most builds. An Awesome is especially great. Ever had a mech that can spam PPCs for 5 minutes straight before it shuts down and cools off to 40% by the time it starts back up (which is in 2 to 3 seconds)?

Pretty much for the most overpowered stuff, go with the IS. Where else can you find mechs that with 2 to 4 weapons that will outdo a mech with 16 weapons?

#15 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

I'm not a bad guy. I will not pilot bad guy 'Mechs even if they were/are superior. Lore is all.

#16 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

The Madcat isn't as good as you seem to think it is. Sure it's a "jack of all trades" kind of mech, and can do lots of things, but it doesn't do any one thing really well. You might end up regretting selling all those IS chassis if they do more nerfs to the clans.

I just got done playing and I had several Madcats come up to my Misery and get in my face. None of them could stand up to my mech 1v1. It's still a 75 ton mech and has 75 ton armor. Madcats can't really stand up to a lot of firepower, (unless you are shooting it in the back, what's up with that)? I used one on the test server, and it's definitely a good mech, but I wouldn't give up everything else in my mechlab for it.

PGI plans to have IS mechs and clan mechs be roughly equal, but different. If the clans were meant to just be better than IS mechs, I can see no one wanting to play IS. In Community Warfare mechs will be faction limited. We won't see mixed teams of IS and clan mechs on the same side in CW. Unless you go clan, you are going to need some IS mechs. Russ said he wants CW to portray the clan invasion of the Inner Sphere. If we have mixed up teams with everyone taking whatever they want, it really won't simulate that very well.

#17 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

A lot of Inner Sphere mechs look much better than clan mechs for me. Also I want to be able to say the line "Die, clanner!" even if the original guy who said it was in a Vulture. :lol:

#18 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 09 September 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

Clan nerfs have just started. They're going to get worse and worse. I would never pay cash for a clan mechs until you find out what you really get.

I do beleive in the town hall meeting yesterday, the words "No more changes to Clan Mechs, we're happy with where they are now." were uttered. So I dunno.

Maybe they're done?

#19 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostPika, on 09 September 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

I do beleive in the town hall meeting yesterday, the words "No more changes to Clan Mechs, we're happy with where they are now." were uttered. So I dunno.

Maybe they're done?

That was their position at the time?

#20 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Lore reasons.

Pride, for those who recall playing TT before the Clans were introduced, and what all the changes in the game were like. Particularly those folks, perhaps, who made a cottage industry of learning to kick the Clans back to the periphery.

Habit - some have some favorite mech chassis that they run all the time, despite or perhaps inspite of whatever is new and shiny.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users