103 replies to this topic

#61 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostChewBaka, on 22 April 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

Except its not. It just looks like it in art style, but it plays like TF2 with a dose of MOBA skills thrown in.

Open Beta is coming up next month. Its worth a try. Its free.

Uunless, of course, your B.Net account got banned for some reason. I don't know how and why it happens to people. Mine is fine all this while. It did get locked some time back due to suspicions of account sharing but I cleared it up quite quickly with little fuss.

Whatever people might feel about Overwatch, I do think that MWO could definite take this one idea from Overwatch regarding the end game system. I have always been unhappy that MWO places so much emphasis and on dmg done with everything else just a sideline minor c-bill bonus.

I honestly think we would benefit from a page from Overwatch. We don't have to do away with the dmg screen entirely but maybe it should only be in the background or for personal view only. I would rather the final screen also place an emphasis on other factors, such as:

Most succesful NARCs
Longest TAG duration
Most enemies spotted
Most backstab kills
Most time spent capping (conquest only)
Most cap denials
Most dmg dealt with air/arty strike (lights are more likely to catch the enemy team in a cluster than others)
Most dmg tanked (reason to mount STD engines and torso twist)
etc. (whatever else you guys can think of)

And also give appropriate XP and c-bill rewards plus points (sizable, not the pathetic 1k or 2k we get right now_ so that its possible for a light to have a higher score than an assault despite doing less dmg.

This might encourage a greater emphasis on teamwork, and perhaps encourage a more balanced lineup instead of the 60-80% heavies we see all the time. Plus give lights a reason to carry TAG and NARC instead of having LRM boats grumbling where all the locks have gone.

Overwatch reminds me of Borderlands in that it seems to have a number of flamboyant characters with extravagant personalities stacked on top of a seemingly gimmick (rather than strategy) based combat system(Scorpion from mortal kombats "get over here" wtf). Maybe comparing it to city of heroes would be more accurate.

I wouldn't mind if the achievements list were updated to include NARC, target spotting and other aspects of the game that might be neglected. I agree damage can be misleading statistic at times and damage factoring so heavily in to match score does reward and encourage players who target side torsos, legs and arms more than it does players who target cockpits, rear armor or center torsos. One might say over rewarding damage encourages inefficiency and bad habits. *shrug* Rewarding NARCs and other things like you mentioned would be good, imo.

AFAIK the heavy queue is disproportionate due to the release of the archer, warhammer and marauder for cbills.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 April 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Agreed. It's so funny how old Xcom had twice the depth of new Xcom. Old Mechwarrior:Mercs had twice the depth of new Mechwarrior. It's like that with a lot of games from the 90's. Old Chris Roberts games, old Master of Orion games.

We're living in a weird time when we have virtual reality and photorealistic graphics, but we've forgotten how to make games that are actually complex and challenging, for the most part.

Exactly.

In a way it mirrors hollywood where CGI and digital cinematography have advanced but our ability to tell a coherent, provocative and interesting story seems to have declined.

#62 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

View PostAxeface, on 22 April 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

I dont really think any of those mods you mentioned change the game to any large degree at all, other than damaging the narrative setting. I also cant agree with the arguement that fallout 4 is a good game or has set standards because of its modability, its predecessors all did it. I am an avid mod user too, and have also made my fair share of quite sucessful small mods, so I love modding and appreciate it. I guess what I really want to say is that I found fallout 4 to be deeply disappointing... and more than that a sign that my favourite game genre, the bethesda rpg is something of the past... unless beth stop diluting their games to appeal to larger and larger audiances. I'de also like to learn how you think fo4 has improved on replayability over its predecessors - quite the opposite in my opinion, and also in the opinion of all others I have asked.

Well the quality of Fallout 4 is the biggest argument on the internets. Posted Image Day of launch the Steam forums were flipping 1 full forum page of topics a second. Many complaints. Posted Image But many other more quiet players enjoy the game a lot and its sales and sales of DLC's will speak for themselves.

Fallout 4 got massive advertising and even more massive hype is one reason it did well but there are plenty of DLC's coming out still this year and I think once they are all in it will be WELL worth another play through. I am trying not to finish the game even once until that time.

I should add, I am a so called rpg fan. I found Fallout 4 very good. The post apocalyptic theme isn't my style at all. Everything all broken and run down. That's why the Fallout 4 I play, the roads are newly paved, the grass and trees are green, the moon at night is from another planet, the advertising is Cyberpunk themed and everything else like road signs and everything. Much is new and looks like the war had happened not to long ago on this new planet. Posted Image

All of that done with textures players on www.nexusmods.com made.

Pipboy broken scratched dusty and rusty? Not for some players.

Posted Image

Posted ImageJust two of a 100 to choose from.

This isn't entirely about Fallout 4. I hope MechWarrior Online gets something Mirrors Edge and Fallout 4 and other games have to!

I cant find a picture of Mirrors Edge "pipboy" though. Its a lot smaller and a lot more like a real life wrist watch than Fallouts.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 April 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#63 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:29 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 April 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Play Battleborn instead of Overwatch. Posted Image Battleborn has less cliched (or overly-sexualized) characters and more fun play styles. It also has single-player elements.

https://battleborn.com/

A number of my friends and i tried battleborn, not a single one liked it.
The game just felt clunky and didn't click for any of us.

Bit of a let down, we had been watching it for some time.

#64 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:29 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 22 April 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Overwatch looks like a clone of Borderlands 2.

Duno what's up with blizzard but they've seriously been dropping the ball lately.

Well guns in Borderlands 2 are awful in terms of how they feel to shoot. I'm not crazy about Overwatch but I believe it does have more satisfying gunplay than Borderlands.

#65 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:48 AM

Why is this in my MWO general?

#66 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:06 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 21 April 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

Not going judgemental on people, but I couln't play a game with a setting created on the basis of taking a lot of completely unrelated franchises and mixing them in a blender. To me, such game setting doesn't have a soul nor depth nor logic nor consistence. It's such a blend the next heroes added could be Jesus shooting nails from his palm wounds and an anime japaneese schoolgirl shooting lasers from her eyes and it wouldn't make the setting less ridiculous it already is.

Both of those would be pretty awesome, but the schoolgirl is too sexy for blizz and Jesus is a religious figure, so not in these times when no one has the balls to put all the offended nuts to their place

#67 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

Found this on the imgur.com frontpage today.

Posted Image

One of the top comments:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Ieoiy

"Overwatch p*rn is now more Googled than "Overwatch""

They're not joking.
Posted Image

http://imgur.com/gallery/iciaOWH

Kind of funny in the context of our earlier debate, whether Overwatch is sexualized or not.

QED.

#68 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostAxeface, on 21 April 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

I'm with alistair winter on this one (apart from the bit about 'sexy'), I think that overwatch could be used as a dictionary definition for 'Kitsch'.

so it should be perfect for Legendary.

#69 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

I´ve spent enough time in the Overwatch closed beta to know I probably won´t be purchasing the finished product.

Gameplay is fine, gfx are fine, obviously still quite a few bugs.... But the concept does nothing to flip my skirt.

Being a Activision /Blizzard game, it will obviously be hyped to Saturn and back, and it will have a large initial population.

But I have to laugh when people say it´s the first truly team based FPS. Counterstrike or Tribes, anyone?

The only thing truly novel about Overwatch is that it´s Blizzards first FPS.

But, what exactly is the reasoning behind this being in General Discussion? This is about as Offtopic as it gets.....Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 13 May 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#70 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 May 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

Found this on the imgur.com frontpage today.
--
One of the top comments:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Ieoiy

"Overwatch p*rn is now more Googled than "Overwatch""

They're not joking.
---

http://imgur.com/gallery/iciaOWH

Kind of funny in the context of our earlier debate, whether Overwatch is sexualized or not.

QED.

In OW's defense, most of the sexualization is being done by the fans instead of the game itself.

For the actual in-game sexualization, Widowmaker and Symmetra are the only blatant offenders here, and I guess an alternate skin for D.va that shows her midriff. The rest are either debatable (e.g. Tracer) or not sexualized at all (e.g. Zarya).

#71 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostChewBaka, on 21 April 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

Widowmaker is reasonably popular because she a sniper, but its not like you can stare down at her boobs while you are playing as her.

That's the character model they based off of my wife! watch your tongue Posted Image

And the Tracer character is based off of her best friend Pamela Horton.

Edited by DONTOR, 13 May 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#72 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 May 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

In OW's defense, most of the sexualization is being done by the fans instead of the game itself.
For the actual in-game sexualization, Widowmaker and Symmetra are the only blatant offenders here, and I guess an alternate skin for D.va that shows her midriff. The rest are either debatable (e.g. Tracer) or not sexualized at all (e.g. Zarya).

There's a reason why they're sexualized by the fans. Women are generally portrayed as being far more attractive. And while not all of them have their boobs hanging out, they more often wear skin-tight clothes. Like pants. And games are far less likely to include non-attractive women. Even the extremely muscular ones tend to be very attractive, they don't generally have oversized noses, teeth or ears, as you may see on male characters. They're not generally as fat either.

As for Tracer, comes as zero surprise that you'll find loooaaads of sexualized artwork featuring her.

Posted Image

Look at those skin tight pants. Coincidence, innit?

#73 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 April 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

You cant be serious.

I assure you he is.

I bought it last week, game is fun. Hell of a lot more fun then I have been having in MWO lately but it wont push me away from stompy robutts for good.

#74 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 May 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

There's a reason why they're sexualized by the fans. Women are generally portrayed as being far more attractive. And while not all of them have their boobs hanging out, they more often wear skin-tight clothes. Like pants. And games are far less likely to include non-attractive women. Even the extremely muscular ones tend to be very attractive, they don't generally have oversized noses, teeth or ears, as you may see on male characters. They're not generally as fat either.

As for Tracer, comes as zero surprise that you'll find loooaaads of sexualized artwork featuring her.

Posted Image

Look at those skin tight pants. Coincidence, innit?

Here is a cosplay Tracer. Use mouse to look around while watching. Its surround view.

View PostRevis Volek, on 13 May 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

I assure you he is.

I bought it last week, game is fun. Hell of a lot more fun then I have been having in MWO lately but it wont push me away from stompy robutts for good.

It may be fun for a month or something but no staying power.

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 May 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#75 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

Play them all, I am having fun with Doom right now but also have Overwatch pre-ordered.

I am also still playing MWO

Edited by King Alen, 13 May 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#76 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Lets do an evaluation of whether Overwatch is worth my time. I did play the Open Beta for a week.

1. Repetitive arena game. Good polish.

2. I have no connection with Overwatch lore.

3. Fun, but gets duller when playing alone; friends are not keen to spend $40 on it.

4. I have not spent any capital in it yet, so no incentive to "maximize my investment".

Conclusion: I'd play OW if it is was F2P, but for $40, I'd rather spend time in MW:O. At least in MWO I have invested over $250, have strong connection with the lore, and have few online friends I prefer to drop with, repetitive arena game notwithstanding.

Posted Image

I also have CS:GO, but MWO is just better experience for me, so I stopped playing it.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 May 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#77 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Overwatch looks neat. I haven't played TF2 and a while and Overwatch looks like it will be a good one of those. I will probably play it some.

#78 Donald Trump Kerensky

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

Guys help me I am physically and mentally incapable of playing two different games.

#79 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

View PostDonald Trump Kerensky, on 13 May 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

Guys help me I am physically and mentally incapable of playing two different games.

When you got a full time job and a couple of kids to look after? Sure. I play other games than MWO, but the genres are vastly different, such as strategy games, MOBA game, or single-player games. I ain't got time for yet another arena shooter, that is not F2P. That $40 would probably go towards Total War: Warhammer, or Doom purchase.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 May 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#80 TyphonCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:13 PM

I dabbled in the open beta last weekend with a couple friends. It was a ton of fun, way better than I expected. I preordered it

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users