Scr-A + Noob

26 replies to this topic

#1 Inoom

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:13 AM

Hi. I playing MWO about 7 days. In first day i buy SCR-A.
At first I liked LRMs, but then I have understood that Stormcrow is not that mech which need to be LRM boat. Then i some experimented with this mech and now have this build.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=268&l=244a7a405bc6f08e272384c586b2815bfc833e62

What i can improve? (BUT want to stay with long ranged laser, like ER PPC).
I wait for understanding, recommendations and criticism from experienced players.

P.S.: sorry for my catastrophic english.

Edited by Inoom, 21 April 2016 - 02:17 AM.

#2 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:38 AM

View PostInoom, on 21 April 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

At first I liked LRMs, but then I have understood that Stormcrow is not that mech which need to be LRM boat. Then i some experimented with this mech and now have this build.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=268&l=244a7a405bc6f08e272384c586b2815bfc833e62

I wait for understanding, recommendations and criticism from experienced players.

Someone with more experience with this mech is likely to improve on my advice. But I might at least replace the ERPPC and TAG with one Large Pulse Laser and one ER Medium Laser. Put those in the same fire group. That'll give you a nice, relatively low-heat poke-stick beyond the range of your SRM's.

When you play the mech, you can then assess whether your heat efficiency might be better than you need. If it is, you can replace one or two heat sinks with further ER ML's. Another thing you can consider if replacing one heat sink with a further ton of SRM ammo. In case you regularly find yourself running short on ammo

I recommend moving some of your rear torso armour to front torsos. In practice we get mostly hit from the front -- most stock loadouts have too much rear armour. I prefer to leave about 8 points in rear, but opinions vary on this.

You don't need the TAG -- the only thing it does is help get target locks for lock-on missiles (streaks and LRM's) but you have none of those, so the TAG literally does nothing for you.

Edit: I might move the SRM ammo to your head and your legs. We tend to mostly get hit in centre mass, and with the ammo there you risk losing half your mech in an ammo explosion.

Edited by jss78, 21 April 2016 - 02:43 AM.

#3 Cox Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationTryhard dimension

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

All the things below are my own opinion.

Do not mix long and short range weapons.
Make your mech effective either at short distance or long.
So if you want to "stay with long ranged laser" (PPC is not a kind of laser btw), you can try this
SCR-A - just "invented" this build right now. :D

Or, if you still want your PPCs and being ready for short-range, here is one rather popular build:
SCR-A

#4 Inoom

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:33 AM

Moving some rear armor. +
Hmmm, С-TAG is not improved dispersion (circle) of SRM rockets swarm?

#5 Azumazi

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

No, tag is used for getting a lock on ECM mechs as well as cutting the lock on time in half if you're at 750m range and below. This stacks with Artemis, but most use it for getting a lock on ECM boats.

Edited by Azumazi, 21 April 2016 - 03:41 AM.

#6 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostInoom, on 21 April 2016 - 03:33 AM, said:

Hmmm, С-TAG is not improved dispersion (circle) of SRM rockets swarm?

That's Artemis. It'll cost you some more extra tonnage (one ton per launcher).

#7 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

Oh dear, as with all things in MWO, there are as many opinions are there are players! I would disagree with Cox Devils and say there is nothing wrong with mixing ranges on a mech - most of my builds combine some long range with some short-medium; e.g my most played Ebon Jag has a gauss rifle, some medium lasers and some SRMs; seems to work fine for me :)

For your SCR, assuming you don't have any other omnipods and can't afford to buy any, I'd probably turn all the SRMs into 4s, remove the TAG (not that much use unless you are dedicated to idea of lighting targets for your LRM carriers) and replace that with 2 ERMLs, to me, that would give you a lovely mix of ranged poking, mid-range fire and a great close-up punch in the face.

Personally, I am not fond of ERPPCs so I'd replace that with a CLPL- it's a little cooler, still has decent range and is more reliable.

Good luck

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

if you want decent long range firepower with the SRMs for short range I would sugest swapping the PPC, TAG and 1 Heat Sink for 2 ER Large Lasers, also add the lower arm actuator to allow the arms to move side to side;
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ee2fd40cd08cd38
use the ER Large for long range, the SRMs for short.

another possibility is swap the PPC and TAG for 3 Medium Pulse Lasers, rearrange the heat sinks and add 1 extra, also add the lower arm actuators to give something like this;
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a64472dc75387cb
the SCR can choose its engagement range so in that case you do not really need long range weapons, if you fire everything together that build will run hot but you will have 3-4 alpha strikes before heat becomes critical, at which point stop using the lasers until you cool off.

View Postjss78, on 21 April 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

I recommend moving some of your rear torso armour to front torsos. In practice we get mostly hit from the front -- most stock loadouts have too much rear armour. I prefer to leave about 8 points in rear, but opinions vary on this.

armour allocation is a compromise (like most things in this game), put too little on the back and you will regret it if some crazy light Mech pilot sneaks up behind you and unloads there guns into your lightly armoured back, point of fact I have several Light Mechs setup specificity to kill Mechs with week back armour, my FS9-E has 4 MPL which is enough to strip 24 points of armour or structure then I open up with 4 Machine Guns to quickly destroy internal structure, that build will frequently take down assault Mechs inside 5 seconds
put too much on the back and you are reducing your frontal protection and unless the enemy completely outplays you you should be taking at least 75% of damage to your front in a fast Mech like the Stormcrow,
the Stormcrow is rather fast and agile so a backstabbing light is less likely to be successful against you than the slow heavies or assaults.

some Mechs I take as little as 2 rear armour, most though I setup to survive a specific amount of rear damage, Lights and mediums I usually setup to survive an AC20 hit, that is 20 points total rear structure + armour, structure is half the max possible armour, heavier Mechs I want to be able to survive 40 damage to the back.

View PostCox Devalis, on 21 April 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

Do not mix long and short range weapons.
Make your mech effective either at short distance or long.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I disagree with the above as an absolute, I often build a Mech for 1 range then have backup weapons for another, although I will usually only do that with slow Mechs (80KPH+ is what I concider acceptable speed) e.g. an LRM10 or ER Large Lasers on a brawler Atlas, or some Medium lasers on an LRM boat.

The Stromcrow is pretty fast so it can usualy pick its range so does not need multiple weapon ranges, but it does not hurt to have them.

#9 Inoom

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:36 AM

Destroyed C-tag, changed last SRM4 to SRM6, add 0.5 tons of ammo.
What you can say about usefulness of target comps and active probes?

#10 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:52 AM

recommend this for SCR-A build with no omnipod customisation
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9ca387aebcdb67

you could go laservomit. but i wouldn't recommend it on a pure A build, lose the arm and you lose everything

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

View PostInoom, on 21 April 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

For any SCR build, consider:
This Armor Layout (Look at armor only).

For LRMs consider:
This build (Requires 3 weapon groups).
Or this one (requires 2 weapon groups).

Other ideas:
Light-Mech Hunter. 2 groups. (Put MG with SPL, they work together. Fire at target. Do not lead bullets. Ignore bullet effect. Bullet effect Is A Lie.)

Welcome to MWO.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostInoom, on 21 April 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Destroyed C-tag, changed last SRM4 to SRM6, add 0.5 tons of ammo.
What you can say about usefulness of target comps and active probes?

Targeting Computer does nothing for missiles but improves lasers, PPCs and balistics critical hit ratio, velocity (PPCs and balistics only) and reduces burn time on lasers, the bigger the computer the more benefit it gives, as well as giving you slightly better max zoom.

Active probe counters ECM within 240m, extends your sensor range by 200m, allows you to detect shutdown Mechs within 90m and gets you target info faster when you target a Mech

#13 Inoom

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:15 AM

I was read description about active probe and computer, but cannot make decision. Whether they are equivalent to the spended slots, or they not good variant for slots, or they good but not for SCR?

UPDATE: Thanks to faction farming, i buyed SHC-A, and this mech very good too in my opinion. (Next will be NOVA-A, and hmm, Viper in July).

Edited by Inoom, 21 April 2016 - 07:46 AM.

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 April 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

For any SCR build, consider:
This Armor Layout (Look at armor only).

Head s/b at 12 not 14, but other than that, agree (though some builds it's better to take the 6 off the LA)

Edited by TercieI, 21 April 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostInoom, on 21 April 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

I was read description about active probe and computer, but cannot make decision. Whether they are equivalent to the spended slots, or they not good variant for slots, or they good but not for SCR?

weather or not the probe or computer are "good" is completely dependant on your load out and play style, for example of I were running SSRMs or LRMs I would definitely want an Active Probe to counter ECM, I often take an active probe in a brawler if I am not desperate for the tonnage because the faster target info, counter ECM and ability to detect shut down Mechs is relay useful to me.

I rairly use a targeting computer unless I have trouble figuring out what to use those last few tons and/or slots for, and would almost always take an AP first but that is just me there are probably people who would take TC before AP, as with every aspect of outfitting a Mech it is down to personal preference.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 21 April 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#16 Trainee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 21 April 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

recommend this for SCR-A build with no omnipod customisation
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9ca387aebcdb67

I use a build similar to this, but change out the ERML's for SMPL's. Little easier on heat, but you give up any range on the mech.

I use TC's before CAP unless you are carrying Streaks.

#17 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Allow me to show you a different path, grasshopper.

Put 13 small pulse lasers on it (use the head with the energy hardpoint). Divide the weapons groups into 2 groupings (one on the left and one on the right), one with 6 SPL's and the other with 7. Never alpha strike, but fire in a one-two combination like a boxer.

Stay in cover early in the match and ambush the unwary mech that wanders off alone. You will be a god among mortals until at least Tier 2.

#18 The Mecha Streisand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostInoom, on 21 April 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

UPDATE: Thanks to faction farming, i buyed SHC-A, and this mech very good too in my opinion. (Next will be NOVA-A, and hmm, Viper in July).

First, your English is FINE. We understand you very well. :)

Active Probe is used with guided missile weapons. LRM or STREAK SRM use Active Probe very well. Without these missiles, you should not use Active Probe.

Targeting Computer is used well with energy and ballistic weapons. It gives no bonus to missile weapons, though.

I see in your SCR-A that you are using all SCR-A omnipods. You can make a much more effective mech by switching some omnipods, as long as you have enough C-Bills. In general, with the SCR you should put your desired long-range energy weapons in the side torso positions--those are higher on the mech, and harder to destroy. Long-range weapons are better mounted in a high position, and short-range weapons are better mounted in a low position. Again, this is a general statement. There are exceptions.

Welcome to MWO!

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:50 AM

Allow me to show you a different path, grasshopper.

as you are a newbie, I should still recommend you going for a Timberwolf, very versitile, very good.

NVA isn't a very easy mech to play, its very big for it's tonnage and rather easy to destroy. (but it looks very cool)

View PostKhereg, on 21 April 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

Put 13 small pulse lasers on it (use the head with the energy hardpoint). Divide the weapons groups into 2 groupings (one on the left and one on the right), one with 6 SPL's and the other with 7. Never alpha strike, but fire in a one-two combination like a boxer.

Stay in cover early in the match and ambush the unwary mech that wanders off alone. You will be a god among mortals until at least Tier 2.

I wouldn't load 13 in it, thats way too much, and even if 7 is only 1 into ghostheat ot's not that amazing.

So he either should go 12SPL's and make 2x6 + an alpha group thats contains as much as an empty heatscale allows to be shot at once.

Or use the weight advanatge that the SCR has over the NVA and play a MPL/SPL mix to have more range versitility.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a1c5c05127abdb2

@OP, I also would recommend you to play this for a while:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f54b4648f135fa5

its quite fun and will train you some hillpopping and making use of 2 high enrgy hardpoints.

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 April 2016 - 03:56 AM.

#20 Deraxel

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

i suggest once you get the cbills try an ecm 3x er large laser shadow cat. add a advance zoom for sniping. Typically score 400-600 damage with them and my aim isn't the best. also note don't typically fire all the er-large lasers at once, fire 2 then one. IMO er large lasers are vastly better than erppc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users