The Truly Best Time For Time Jump! (New Factions, Mechs, Weapons, And So Much More!)

72 replies to this topic

#41 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 01 May 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

Ok i drop the gauntlet: 3145

Bishop Steiner right now:
Spoiler

#42 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:05 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 01 May 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

You just want a Mad Cat MKII

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

#43 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:05 AM

View PostImperius, on 01 May 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

Our feedback is not needed.

So...

Why do you keep posting?

Still salty about not getting the MKII I take it?

Joking aside, you really believe that by adding a slew of new tech that a lot of the old tech wouldn't become immediately obsolete?

If the point of the game is to do as much damage as quickly as possible, the newer, better weapons are the obvious choice to use, they may be hotter, but that would just further encourage the Poke-And-Alpha style of game play we have now.

Everyone would simply find the best combination of new tech weaponry and all the old tech weaponry would get thrown by the wayside.

#44 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

Haha if he wrote all this novel just for get a madcat MK2, damn he deserve to get it now.

Nice post OP but i don't know why >>> i am not sure PGI is able to put this kind of background in their game.
Before try this, please PGI, give us right to save 2 dropdecks ( or more ) simple feature which should be avaiable when you release CW first day in fact.

Why i talk to PGI.? Pretty sure they insta-stop read when they saw someone asking them something...

Edited by Idealsuspect, 02 May 2016 - 05:11 AM.

#45 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

Can someone explain to me exactly why we need fewer buckets? As someone who plays FW regularly, I'm not seeing why that would be needed. Is it because some factions with massive population discrepancies compared to its neighbors can sometimes have long queue times? Because if that's it, there are tons of other solutions to that issue that don't involve fundementally breaking the premise of FW.

#46 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 02 May 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

Can someone explain to me exactly why we need fewer buckets? As someone who plays FW regularly, I'm not seeing why that would be needed. Is it because some factions with massive population discrepancies compared to its neighbors can sometimes have long queue times? Because if that's it, there are tons of other solutions to that issue that don't involve fundementally breaking the premise of FW.

That's pretty much it. People hopping from one CW Faction to the next.

IMO there should not have been any of this Freelancer/Merc BS. Should have been you pick a faction, you stick with that faction.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 02 May 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

Bishop Steiner right now:
Spoiler

Neg.
Spoiler

I was a referee for MWDA. Please god no.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 02 May 2016 - 06:40 AM.

#48 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 May 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Neg.
Spoiler

I was a referee for MWDA. Please god no.

Who is speaking about MWDA?

I'm speaking about BT 3145.

#49 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

Never trust a clanner.
Except maybe Ghost Bears, they're fairly trustworthy.
And they make exceptionally fine fireplace rugs.

#50 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

I used to be opposed to any significant time jump. Mainly due to the fear of new tech causing even more balance issues and new mech power creep causing many mechs to be rendered obsolete/unplayable; also the thought of Ghost Bear Dominion offends my rp concept of being a hard core anti-clanner.

Alas, balance will likely never be achieved to some folks satisfaction, some of my favorite mechs have already been rendered obsolete, and after the last town hall my emotional investment in any of the lore or BT flavor of this game has essentially been killed (Russ thinks it adds to much "complexity" for this "already hard core game").

So, at this point, what the hell time jump away. Wake me when we get there.

#51 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 May 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Sure, things are starting to get a bit thin, but realistically, atm, a time jump will simply add new mechs and tech, and despite protestations to the contrary, probably WORSE balance (as adding new IS and Clan tech only accelerated power creep and fixed nothing balance wise).

And yes, different factions glaring at each other.

Which only really matters if they add depth tot he game. CW/Faction Warfare right now is largely a joke. And until they add elements of Persistent Gameplay, instead of Esport Seasons to it, it will remain thus.

Factions need to mean something. Clans need to not have Mercs. Belonging to factions should give you bonuses for using faction correct mechs. CW needs to incorporate ALL the maps and playmodes, and expand on things far beyond the current "Scout and Attack the Big Gun" modes we have now.

Give us the current 4v4 scouting with tweaks*, switch base CW to 4v4/8v8/12v12 missions without respawns utilizing several alternating maps and modes that unlock specific assault avenues, and make the "Big Guns" Maps and Missions a gateway mission that then unlocks the 12v12 with Respawn "Planetary Assault" play, which leads to Siege Mode and such.

As for Scout Play, there need to be a few tweaks.
- Dropship Extraction Zone needs to be more visible, especially on maps like Forest Colony and RCN.
- Arty and Air Strikes should have effect on the Dropship, with Arty damaging dropships turrets, and airstrikes being able to actually cause the Dropship to disengage (pickup is too hot! rendezvous at alternate extraction site!) and reset the Extraction by 2 minutes at a new location.
- If the dropzone is contested (like in Domination) then extraction is not instantaneous extends the timer. Extraction under fire is one of the most difficult maneuvers in warfare. Walking one mech into a box should not be all that is needed (unless they can do it uncontested)

then get around to adding Solaris, and hopefully working on the PvE stuff.

At that point a time skip might actually change things up some. And even then expect it to be a 3-6 month Hero Project to prepare all the new tech and release it, likely requiring time and interest prepaid through a new Clan and a new IS 4 pack.

Without all that, it's just window dressing so that some folks can play the same boring crap with a new shiny mech.

I was gonna go off on this subject but I will quote this guy of all people in support of these statements especially the last sentence.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 May 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Who is speaking about MWDA?

I'm speaking about BT 3145.

same vomit, prettier package. BT post FedCom Civil War is total crap.

#53 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 May 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

BT post FedCom Civil War is total crap.

nice letter for your grave stone - though there wouldn't be a corps.... just radioactive dust - frail

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 May 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

nice letter for your grave stone - though there wouldn't be a corps.... just radioactive dust - frail

I honestly have zero clue wtf you just said.

#55 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 02 May 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

That's pretty much it. People hopping from one CW Faction to the next.

IMO there should not have been any of this Freelancer/Merc BS. Should have been you pick a faction, you stick with that faction.

Freelancer only exists as a means to fulfill that half-cocked bastardization of queues into solo and unit. Now that the queues are back together it serves no purpose.

I have no problem with thw concept of having mercs. They're important in BT and to the overall concept of FW. I hate how they're implemented though. It doesn't make much sense that mercs units get to decide which faction to stack, or that the contracts are of such short duration, or that the incentive for signing with a weaker faction isn't high enough to make it a tough choice where to go.

When PGI previously said that loyalists would be directly incentivizing mercs units, I thought that was awesome. If it were me, I would have set the system so that factions started out with a limited amount of mercs they could put under contract, based on the population of that faction. Weaker factions would have their contracts worth much more than stronger ones. But, then each faction could dump funds into the system to buy a greater allowance of mercs, OR make their contracts worth more... or something similar.

Basically have loyalist players in strong factions have to subsidize mercs contracts to create the same incentives or get the same numbers as weaker factions.

This would eventhe mercs out much better than the current system.

#56 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 02 May 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

Freelancer only exists as a means to fulfill that half-cocked bastardization of queues into solo and unit. Now that the queues are back together it serves no purpose.

I have no problem with thw concept of having mercs. They're important in BT and to the overall concept of FW. I hate how they're implemented though. It doesn't make much sense that mercs units get to decide which faction to stack, or that the contracts are of such short duration, or that the incentive for signing with a weaker faction isn't high enough to make it a tough choice where to go.

When PGI previously said that loyalists would be directly incentivizing mercs units, I thought that was awesome. If it were me, I would have set the system so that factions started out with a limited amount of mercs they could put under contract, based on the population of that faction. Weaker factions would have their contracts worth much more than stronger ones. But, then each faction could dump funds into the system to buy a greater allowance of mercs, OR make their contracts worth more... or something similar.

Basically have loyalist players in strong factions have to subsidize mercs contracts to create the same incentives or get the same numbers as weaker factions.

This would eventhe mercs out much better than the current system.

There was a time when a lot of units had to drop their names because they either actually were, or very close too faction merc names.

I wouldn't mind mercs having to get to a certain rank to be able to form their own mercenary company, either by attaining a rank in a Loyalist Faction or by attaining a rank in a Lore Merc unit. Very few lore mercenary companies were ever made from pure green troops that didn't serve for some existing faction or unit.

Same thing with all loyalists getting a vote on the battle plan though, I wouldn't mind it being only those who are loyalist and over a certain rank, not every tom, **** and harry that shows up for few weeks then isn't seen again.

If they want Faction Warfare to be the end game, it needs to have a lot more long term and interesting play for folks to stick with it and this is just stuff on the backside, not even the combat and the maps.

#57 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostBarantor, on 02 May 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

There was a time when a lot of units had to drop their names because they either actually were, or very close too faction merc names.

I wouldn't mind mercs having to get to a certain rank to be able to form their own mercenary company, either by attaining a rank in a Loyalist Faction or by attaining a rank in a Lore Merc unit. Very few lore mercenary companies were ever made from pure green troops that didn't serve for some existing faction or unit.

Same thing with all loyalists getting a vote on the battle plan though, I wouldn't mind it being only those who are loyalist and over a certain rank, not every tom, **** and harry that shows up for few weeks then isn't seen again.

If they want Faction Warfare to be the end game, it needs to have a lot more long term and interesting play for folks to stick with it and this is just stuff on the backside, not even the combat and the maps.

Honestly, you should be forced to pick a faction and join a unit immediately on creating an account in MWO. I'd set it up so that every faction had a basic PGI-run default starter unit that you'd be put into. This would be like in MW2 and MW4 Mercs where you started the game with a unit sponsor. That way, every player would be in a faction and unit, even if it's a default one. Each default unit would represent a lore training unit from the base faction, and mercs would have the MRBC. Hopping between the default units as a solo player would be free. You'd effectively be a freelancer. Signing up for a real unit would make you a loyalist for any faction, including mercs.

No more non-tagged players in MWO... no career paths that do not involve rewards... every player that participates in FW contributes to a unit and faction cause, even if they're 100 percent solo.

#58 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Pfft, we wouldn't leverage a whole time jump for some 90 tonners... >.>
<.<

#59 CK16

• The Cub