If You're Tired Of Getting Roflstomped By Premades, Get Better

190 replies to this topic

#1 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

Title is obviously a bit on the obnoxious side but I don't intend it to be that way, I'm absolutely serious. I apologize if it seems rude but it's the honest truth and if we're going to improve FW, we have acknowledge what the actual issues are.

I play almost entirely solo. I have a unit, but that's just to run the merc path (it's only me in it). In the previous incarnation I got up to rank 10 Ghost Bear and rank 2 everything else (mech bays) and ran into a good number of premades.

What I learned was that yes, sometimes you'll see one that absolutely destroys you like the better guys in MS, you can still do well and make them earn it. I see all these complaints about how the 12 mans are just crushing everyone but most of them just aren't that good, it's that the PUGs are just that bad. Pulling less than 1500 damage for me almost never happens and under 1k NEVER happens, against anyone, yet I see games where half of my team has 400 or less. Fighting MercStar doesn't make you do 400 damage with four 'mechs, being bad does.

Does it suck to fight against a whole 12-man from a good unit? Absolutely. Could you make it suck less by sucking less? Also absolutely. There really aren't that many full groups out there that are both coordinated and skilled enough to just wipe the floor with you. Most of the time, the roflstomps happen because the PUGs either give up or are just incredibly bad to begin with. I saw a hilarious thing today where someone tried to kill himself by shooting at a wall with override on and his weapon side blew up first, so he even failed at suicide.

So be bold, fight hard, and get better. There's a pretty low skill cap in this game due to how most 'mechs don't avoid damage, they just spread it. It's not like Starcraft where a pro can take on 5 average players and win with ease. If you kill them they will die of it just like anyone else.

#2 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

So you are really saying "git gud or GTFO"

Good plan for player retention. That worked really well for FP so far.

To get better you need to be able to play the game and not just in QP either. You need to learn the maps, the objectives and how the modes work.

New players should NEVER EVER be pitted against vets. Period.

Gate it however you want, but everyone should be able to play the mode, it's just a question of who they should face off against/with and what influence they should have on the map.

You absolutely can not expect anyone to get better by not being able to play. Nobody in the history of anything was instantly good without practice.

Do people need to get better, of coarse they do, but this elitist crap about it being "our" game mode, don't play if your no good etc has done more harm to the player base than any number of stomps will. Why? Because if someone actually comes to the forums to get some help, they see endless threads telling them they are crap and should play QP or another game entirely.

Your thread helps no one. Not even you because if it serves it's purpose the player base will continue to shrink until it become an un viable game mode.

#3 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

Best way to get better is to keep encouraging pugs to join TS. When I solo drop I always work to organize pugs groups and encourage cooperation and jump on TS. Units should work to keep sending the message for guys to jump on TS.

#4 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

Somehow I'm not surprised that such a thread would happen after the deleted ähm I mean joined the Ques.

#5 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:54 AM

This is kind of like saying: "You don't like playing basketball against pro players? Well, too bad; get better!"

Hogwash.

Edited by Brandarr Gunnarson, 02 May 2016 - 12:55 AM.

#6 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

Dear Zoid.
I play mostly solo and tend to hold my own even when my team gets destroyed. Does it make me a better customer than some casual/weekend player, or somebody who hardly play any games, (and thus never learned eye-hand coordination of a regular player), just this one, because battletech nostalgia? Did I earn the right to look down on them? I don't think so. Some people don't want to 'git good', they just want to play the game and check out as much of what it offers as it is possible. And they have all the rights to do so.

Besides, a game is a game, This one does not have too much content in terms of game modes, so there is no point in walling of any of it for 'pros' only. FP is just too large of a part of overall content, now arguably larger than quick play.

Casual players in large part fund this game's operation for cheapskates like me, so it's hard for me not to have respect for them. And finally, unit Q benefited from being for units only - the average gap between players' skill levels in a match was lower, and it made the matches more interesting.

Thus I hope Q division will be a thing once more, only better designed, with like 2-4 queues for freelancers, not 20 that simply cannot be filled (what was the downfall of the last try).

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

View Postslide, on 01 May 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

Good plan for player retention. That worked really well for FP so far.

To get better you need to be able to play the game and not just in QP either. You need to learn the maps, the objectives and how the modes work.

New players should NEVER EVER be pitted against vets. Period.

Gate it however you want, but everyone should be able to play the mode, it's just a question of who they should face off against/with and what influence they should have on the map.

You absolutely can not expect anyone to get better by not being able to play. Nobody in the history of anything was instantly good without practice.

Do people need to get better, of coarse they do, but this elitist crap about it being "our" game mode, don't play if your no good etc has done more harm to the player base than any number of stomps will. Why? Because if someone actually comes to the forums to get some help, they see endless threads telling them they are crap and should play QP or another game entirely.

Your thread helps no one. Not even you because if it serves it's purpose the player base will continue to shrink until it become an un viable game mode.

In a way I agree; the FW content needs to all be in the QP queue. Players need a way to practice and learn maps and strats without being dropped in pugs vs 12mans.

However the other side of that is 'FW is the team v team experience and expectations are way higher than QP'. One thing that we struggle with as a community is a big segment of the game that plays badly, brings bad mechs, has no interest in coordination/communication and talks trash when someone tries to call a drop and then complains non-stop when they get rolled non-stop.

FW isn't for 'elites'. It is however for teamwork, communication and coordination. You need to bring a good deck and you need to put the effort into having a clue. Yes, we need the content available to help people get to that point but right now there's a mountain of people getting constantly stomped in FW not because 'units are OP' but because they flat out refuse to participate in anything that would help them win. Those guys need to get out. Not trying to be elitist here but FW has been in game for a year. What to expect from it isn't new. At this point anyone going 'I do wut I want' in FW is just being an idiot and dead weight that's keeping everyone else down.

View PostCrockdaddy, on 01 May 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

Best way to get better is to keep encouraging pugs to join TS. When I solo drop I always work to organize pugs groups and encourage cooperation and jump on TS. Units should work to keep sending the message for guys to jump on TS.

Except everyone already knows. They know. It's been over a year that FW has been out, there's messages all over when you get into FW tab originally, forums and reddit and twitter are plastered with 'get on TS and organize' messages.... they know. They all know. Unless the guy is brand new and still finishing his cadet matches they know to get on TS.

They just don't want to. They all have their own reasons and, honestly, those reasons are not something you can really judge. Most are just BS excuses because humans are stubborn, stupid creatures with an inherent fear of change but you can't fix broken.

The solution to FW is not to try and fix all the broken people who will not/can not coordinate and communicate. The solution is to get them the eff out of FW, give everyone a QP environment to learn the FW fundamentals and then put some real depth and worth to draw the people who do understand teamwork, communication and coordination into FW. People can move into FW at any time and hopefully have a better understanding. The current system however is just teaching people to hate FW and it's not making anyone happy.

Edited by MischiefSC, 02 May 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#8 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:07 AM

EVERY SINGLE TIME I've had a team of solos WILLING to listen, who stuck together, pushed together, and at least tried their best to shoot the right targets, has been a close game.

Against KCom
Against MS
Against 228
Against NS

Maybe not close in a 46-48 sense close, but usually neck and neck on attrition for at least half the match. If my team can kill at least 2 full waves against a superior team, I'm pretty happy, and my teammates did a good job.

The games that I've had that end in 12-48, or are otherwise total stomps, have always involved teammates who refuse to listen, act negatively on comms, or rage quit from the match early.

I'm having good success in CS:GO, winning almost every single match I've played, but I am far from good. Hell, I suck at CS:GO. I'm usually the bottom fragger on my team.

What makes us win is that no matter what, even when we're behind 4-13 in the second half, I encourage my teammates to stay positive, and in the absence of a plan, I'll do my best to come up with one. Doesn't matter if I don't know the callouts on the map, or even know the maps very well. Just a simple, "Two A, Two B, one mid," is a better plan than no plan.

Teamwork is the #1 contributor to success.

A little known secret though: A lot of 12man teams actually DON'T have good teamwork. In fact, many of the scary ones like KCom and MS are in a fairly relaxed state when they see a bunch of randos on the other side.

If you catch them off guard at the right moment, you can steal the game. Now THEY'RE the ones panicking, having to formulate a makeshift plan (that usually doesn't work) in an attempt to come back.

Teamwork. It's how you win.
You shouldn't be playing any other way.

#9 102_devill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

@OP,
I got a family and a job buddy, I ain't got time to practice and "git gud". At the same time I payed top dollar for the content so far and I bloody well have the right to participate in every aspect of this bloody game... not that there are many aspects to choose from. You get me kiddo?

@All,
What does one need to max out chances of winning? Just this:
1. bring a meta drop deck
2. be on comms to receive focus-fire info and execute it in a timely manner

Those two simple things are making one team totally dominate another.

Now, when you have a bunch of seasoned pugs in your drop, you can have both of those things. Usually this kind of a game is either close or you can even win, depending on every person's reactions and the course of the battle.

But if you have a whole lance in your PUG team which is totally new to the game, using trial mechs, or non-meta mechs, then you can be a bleeping Flash Gordon or whatnot and you won't be able to win even close. And you won't have a good game even if you do 1k damage. It will not be fun. Because you have 1/3 of your team which doesn't have any idea what to do, nor the can they. It is not their fault, they just need more experience. Nevertheless, your match is screwed because of them.

The most recent PGI fail is waiting for 1 (one) week to see if the split queues work, then merging the queues and only after that they run an event... Come on! How idiotic should you be to do that? Why not make an event while the queues are split ffs??? If they ever wanted to attract more people it would have been the best opportunity! And of course they missed it... GG PGI.

About FP and units only participation...
If FP is for units and comp play only, then for those of us who do not enjoy that there remains very little of the game. We were suckered in to pay a lot of money for what?... Quick play arena shooter? Wasn't this advertised as a "thinking man's shooter'??? Since that's "thinking" in PGI's book, no wonder their game design is failing so miserably...

#10 SteamCharts Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

Best way to get better is to play against better players and learn from them.

Of course, considering that most MWO players would rather scream 'meta!!! losers!!! quirks!!!' when getting curbstomped and willfully refuse to learn from their humiliating defeats, that doesn't happen all that often.

#11 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostAresye, on 02 May 2016 - 02:07 AM, said:

EVERY SINGLE TIME I've had a team of solos WILLING to listen, who stuck together, pushed together, and at least tried their best to shoot the right targets, has been a close game.

Against KCom
Against MS
Against 228
Against NS

Maybe not close in a 46-48 sense close, but usually neck and neck on attrition for at least half the match. If my team can kill at least 2 full waves against a superior team, I'm pretty happy, and my teammates did a good job.

The games that I've had that end in 12-48, or are otherwise total stomps, have always involved teammates who refuse to listen, act negatively on comms, or rage quit from the match early.

I'm having good success in CS:GO, winning almost every single match I've played, but I am far from good. Hell, I suck at CS:GO. I'm usually the bottom fragger on my team.

What makes us win is that no matter what, even when we're behind 4-13 in the second half, I encourage my teammates to stay positive, and in the absence of a plan, I'll do my best to come up with one. Doesn't matter if I don't know the callouts on the map, or even know the maps very well. Just a simple, "Two A, Two B, one mid," is a better plan than no plan.

Teamwork is the #1 contributor to success.

A little known secret though: A lot of 12man teams actually DON'T have good teamwork. In fact, many of the scary ones like KCom and MS are in a fairly relaxed state when they see a bunch of randos on the other side.

If you catch them off guard at the right moment, you can steal the game. Now THEY'RE the ones panicking, having to formulate a makeshift plan (that usually doesn't work) in an attempt to come back.

Teamwork. It's how you win.
You shouldn't be playing any other way.

True story. I've been on the receiving end with full or nearly full NS teams. On the flip side, when I have pugs groups with the willing to learn and listen to drop calls we've as a solo drop and pug team managed to beat teams that are normally rarely losing.

Full teams often get very over confident when they see "skittles / pugs". I see it in NS all the time. We solo yolo and break down some percentage of our team cohesion and well leg pugs on defense win from time to time.

To Mischief, I realize the game has been out a long time. Some people need a mild positive nudge to come to the idea that team work is a great idea. I won't be a Captain Save a HO ...er I mean pug ... but it doesn't hurt to try when it takes only a little effort on my part.

#12 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostRokerSaMoravu, on 02 May 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

1. bring a meta drop deck

This x1000. I have seen sooo many matches lost in the mechlab. You don't have to follow the tier 1 metamechs builds to the letter, but please leave the bad mechs at home. LRM atlases, urbanmechs, mist lynxes, and the list goes on. Heck, most of the trial mechs are better suited for FP than some of the mechs I've seen.

#13 XenoBE

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

View PostZoid, on 01 May 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

I see all these complaints about how the 12 mans are just crushing everyone but most of them just aren't that good, it's that the PUGs are just that bad. Pulling less than 1500 damage for me almost never happens and under 1k NEVER happens, against anyone, yet I see games where half of my team has 400 or less. Fighting MercStar doesn't make you do 400 damage with four 'mechs, being bad does.

Amen to that.
But it's not always up to only 'you'. Yesterday i failed to get 1k damage. it was bad pug against bad pug. i thought to myself "maybe i should speak up and try to coordinate abit". teamwork and all. then i saw 3 people firing on a closed gate and half the team formed a semi-decent firing line OUTSIDE of the gates and never entered. i didn't even bother counting the trial 'mechs.
Not even a trio of top tier players could have altered the outcome of that game.

Not really relevant, but i thought it was funny enough to share.

Edited by XenoBE, 02 May 2016 - 06:57 AM.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:19 AM

View Postslide, on 01 May 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

More like, git gud or stop complaining.

Because seriously, who gets stomped is just missing basic knowledge and gameplay skills. At this level you don't complain, suck up that you have to lern and then do so. I am all for accepting newbies and casuals, but the need to complain about being not good is just kinda stupid. You don't see me flaming and complaining all those olympia atheletes because I can't compete with them.

PGI created a space where those people can play properly, If they go soemwhere else it's not PGI's fault or the game ones.
Further, ven for a newbie or noob there is no reason to gather and play together.

But complaining when you are just bad and calling others is very pathetic at all.

The truth about many not good palyers is, that they think they are great and awesome pilots, but usually those complaining the loudets in chat are those having the worst results. And why? They focus on excuses instead of the game. And evertime one forms up an excuse he is missing the opportunaty to understand his mistakes and work in imporving them.

#15 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

So many people that simply don't pay attention to how PGI operates....it's hilarious.

Since the very beginning, this game has ALWAYS been "the better you are, the more you carry." It is what it is. PGI is physically incapable of separating people based on skill and ability.

That being said, opening up "end game content" to "beginning game players and equipment" couldn't have possibly ended up any differently. And that's just in Quick Play. Add FW into the mix....no matchmaker, the tutorial is NOT mandatory...you get a lot of people buying IS mechs and then joining a Clan unit. Because noone ever told them they couldn't play the mech they bought. More shortsightedness from PGI.

Learn to deal with it. New players NEVER listen and they NEVER learn. Let them bring their substandard mechs to FW. Let them stay outside the gate to fill the air with poorly aimed LRMs. Get used to the fact that you're there to simply be target practice for the organized units and move on. Or play in Quick Play. FW is never going to progress beyond what it already is....a Romper Room.

#16 102_devill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

Jeez, we are playing against honest-to-god Olympians here...

Last time I checked Lily, this was a game and you pay money to have fun and be entertained.
I didn't give money to get into Olympics.

But I guess you are on the same e-sports train as Russ.

So, I agree, the people who just wanted to play a game based on their beloved franchise are getting screwed because the majority just wants another generic yardstick with which to compare their size of... whatever.

#17 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 02 May 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

That being said, opening up "end game content" to "beginning game players and equipment" couldn't have possibly ended up any differently.
This may be true. But if newbs had the option to do invasion and scouting within a tiered matchmaking system, even without MC payouts or scouting bonuses, many fewer would pollute your precious game mode. There should be a solo queue, but it should be part of quick play, not part of faction play.

#18 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostStumbleBee, on 02 May 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

This may be true. But if newbs had the option to do invasion and scouting within a tiered matchmaking system, even without MC payouts or scouting bonuses, many fewer would pollute your precious game mode. There should be a solo queue, but it should be part of quick play, not part of faction play.

There are certain things that should be MANDATORY before being allowed to drop in FW. The goddamn tutorial should be the top of the list. We should NEVER hear "how to moving forward" or "please for locking the targets" in FW.

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 May 2016 - 01:28 AM, said:

One thing that we struggle with as a community is a big segment of the game that plays badly, brings bad mechs, has no interest in coordination/communication and talks trash when someone tries to call a drop and then complains non-stop when they get rolled non-stop.

That is what a no-holds-barred last-man-standing free-for-all Solaris mode is for. It's every player for him/herself. Posted Image

Folks, the solution to this is not anywhere close to requiring rocket science! BattleTech lore itself points to the solution.

Edited by Mystere, 02 May 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#20 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

If they rolled in public queue match results to tie in with all the other faction play results somehow and added a new game mode or two...

I mean really now, how hard would it be to gear the matchmaker for clan vs IS 12v12 matches and then make each match count for 1/4 of an invasion match? Solaris could be added with bonuses akin to what scouting offers now. I'd like to see an 8v8-specific game mode added, too, which could also be associated to faction play somehow.

I think this is not as logistically difficult as PGI makes it sound.

Either way, I half agree with the OP. When I came up against an NS 12-man weeks ago and our entire team was solos (only a few of us with a unit tag, even) there was a marked difference in scores at the end. I was the only one to even break 1000. The next highest damage was in the 700s, and most were in the 400s. There was even voip communication on our side along with some typed communication to coordinate. The fact here is that a lot of people just jump in without building for the type of play they're going to experience and/or aren't ready for the possibility of an intense match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users