If You're Tired Of Getting Roflstomped By Premades, Get Better

190 replies to this topic

#21 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

In a couple of months they'll probably need CW Events every single weekend just to keep Faction Play afloat.

#22 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

Dear Zoid, you open your post with one of the most ridiculous statements ever;

"[color=#959595]Title is obviously a bit on the obnoxious side but I don't intend it to be that way, I'm absolutely serious."[/color]

well if you don't intend to be obnoxious then RE-PHRASE IT!!!!

Offence intended.

#23 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

View Postslide, on 01 May 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

So you are really saying "git gud or GTFO"

Good plan for player retention. That worked really well for FP so far.

Not even you because if it serves it's purpose the player base will continue to shrink until it become an un viable game mode.

This is so true. Every game that has competitive player vs player action has a way of segregating players based on skill/equipment level. The reason this is done is because people like to win once in a while or, to even have the illusion that they could win.....Unless you are FRR then you just wanna shoot stuff in the face.

Edited by nehebkau, 02 May 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#24 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

Lol i knew it was only a matter of time before these Git Gud or get out threads start after the merge.

In a week or two after the event when all of the solos and puggies leave CW again, all of the Git Gud or Get Out people will be complaing that CW is dead again.

Time will tell though. I could be wrong

#25 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

So you are really saying "git gud or GTFO" of unit queue

New players should NEVER EVER be pitted against vets. Period.

PGI split the queues over exactly this complaint and the solo queue is now a ghost town. To the point where PGI may be forced to reunite the queues (side question - did that already happen?).

I'm sympathetic to the plight of people who get thrown involuntarily into the deep end of the pool, but when they screamed for an alternative and then didn't take advantage of it when provided? Well, ggclose, brah.

Now, git gud or GTFO of unit queue.

Edited by Khereg, 02 May 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#26 fbj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 239 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

I am not even good at this game. I just like playing in a team based environment where you must rely on your teammates to help you out instead of using you as armor and letting you die.

That is the main reason I play with a organized group.

I drop solo enough to get a feel that a lot of solo pilots like to bait their teammates and use them as armor and do their best not to support them in anyway.

#27 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostKhereg, on 02 May 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

PGI split the queues over exactly this complaint and the solo queue is now a ghost town. To the point where PGI may be forced to reunite the queues (side question - did that already happen?).

I'm sympathetic to the plight of people who get thrown involuntarily into the deep end of the pool, but when they screamed for an alternative and then didn't take advantage of it when provided? Well, ggclose, brah.

Now, git gud or GTFO of group queue.

PGI didn't make a solo queue. They made tagless and tagged queue.

They also made the rewards for being a freelancer completely worthless, and there is no solo merc option, which further stripped the "solo" queue of the players.

Now if PGI actually made a solo queue and group queue, you'd have a point. But since they didn't, and the fact most of the players in the tag queue were dropping solo, you don't.

Edited by Ghogiel, 02 May 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#28 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 02 May 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

I mean really now, how hard would it be to gear the matchmaker for clan vs IS 12v12 matches and then make each match count for 1/4 of an invasion match?
Why make it count at all? These are unaffiliated players with no stake in the greater outcomes.

#29 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostKhereg, on 02 May 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

Now, git gud or GTFO of unit queue.

They merged them last Thursday. The day before the event.

But to be fair, I think they merged them too soon. They barely gave it a week and Phase 3 had bugs that had some people not play because they were waiting on a fix.

Like the bug that prevented people from progressing in their probabation period matches.

Instead of giving the solo que a fighting chance or atleast let it stay as an option, they merged the ques and had an event start the very next day

Which in my mind gives a very false view and makes it look like Phase 3 without seperate ques is a raging success.

Had they fixed the bugs and left the seperate ques for the event, the Solo que would be jumping right now and there wouldn't be these Git Gud or Get Out threads being directed at Pugs and Solo players.

But we will never know how it would have actually played out. Russ never gave it a fair chance

#30 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 02 May 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

PGI didn't make a solo queue. They made tagless and tagged queue.

Edited to correct the distinction. The intent was always to separate team based play from solo artists, however, so the distinction is basically semantics. We, the community, told them clearly ahead of time that they really wanted to separate skilled from less-skilled players, however, but they didn't listen and wen with this approach.

So, those being the rules we play under, the outcome is that the unit queue is where the skilled play happens and we're still elft with, "if you don't like it, that's what the unit-less queue is for".

They also made the rewards for being a freelancer completely worthless, and there is no solo merc option, which further stripped the "solo" queue of the players.

So, PGI said, "git gud or git garbage rewards"?

Edited by Khereg, 02 May 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#31 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 02 May 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

But we will never know how it would have actually played out. Russ never gave it a fair chance.
It wasn't the One True Way.

#32 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostRokerSaMoravu, on 02 May 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

@OP,
I got a family and a job buddy, I ain't got time to practice and "git gud". At the same time I payed top dollar for the content so far and I bloody well have the right to participate in every aspect of this bloody game... not that there are many aspects to choose from. You get me kiddo?

So do I, but feel free to use those as excuses.

I'm really not talking about getting pro good, I'm talking about not being atrociously bad. I seriously do not know how people manage to do 400 damage with 250 tons of 'mechs.

I've played some really good and close games against premades with a bunch of PUGs on my side. In those games, everyone on my team managed to pull at least 800 damage. That's 800 over four 'mechs, or 200 per 'mech. If you think that's unattainable because you have kids and a job, please go play another game.

View PostBrandarr Gunnarson, on 02 May 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

This is kind of like saying: "You don't like playing basketball against pro players? Well, too bad; get better!"

Hogwash.

Nice strawman you got there. No, this is just asking people to at least stop throwing airballs before they complain about the big mean premades.

Edited by Zoid, 02 May 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#33 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

New player learning are like stairs. You can just chop of the middle part. Any idea how low stair step users fair against high stair step users? Not well, the gap will make sure they will run home to their parents on how unfair it is. And I agree, but also that new players should also know that failure is just another learning experience, it will harden em and once reaching the top of the stairs, they will fare well.

#34 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 02 May 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

They merged them last Thursday. The day before the event.

Well, so it goes...

Sorry for clogging up this otherwise stellar thread with outdated info.

Carry on.

Edited by Khereg, 02 May 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#35 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostZoid, on 02 May 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

I'm really not talking about getting pro good, I'm talking about not being atrociously bad. I seriously do not know how people manage to do 400 damage with 250 tons of 'mechs.

You wouldn't believe how frighteningly common it is nowadays to see somebody get < 100 damage across all 4 mechs...ON A WIN!!! Posted Image

#36 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostAresye, on 02 May 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

You wouldn't believe how frighteningly common it is nowadays to see somebody get < 100 damage across all 4 mechs...ON A WIN!!! Posted Image

All I can say is: Good scouting!

Posted Image

#37 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 02 May 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

True story. I've been on the receiving end with full or nearly full NS teams. On the flip side, when I have pugs groups with the willing to learn and listen to drop calls we've as a solo drop and pug team managed to beat teams that are normally rarely losing.

Full teams often get very over confident when they see "skittles / pugs". I see it in NS all the time. We solo yolo and break down some percentage of our team cohesion and well leg pugs on defense win from time to time.

To Mischief, I realize the game has been out a long time. Some people need a mild positive nudge to come to the idea that team work is a great idea. I won't be a Captain Save a HO ...er I mean pug ... but it doesn't hurt to try when it takes only a little effort on my part.

I agree and I do work to get people into coms.

However, that is NOT a reasonable answer or solution. At this point we need to start getting more aggressive about PGI putting FW content into QP. We're past the point where the players can fix how ****** up FW is and we need PGI to actually fix the ******* game. Quit screwing with it, quit making bad ideas and just ******* FIX IT.

FIX IT. FW content in QP, rewards based on who you play against, rewards based on your participation not tag. The ability for units to incentivize mercs would be nice but not critical. FW content in QP, rewards based on who you play against, rewards based on your participation not tag.

That's it. That's a lot less to do than some of the other incredibly bad ideas PGI has squeezed out and pinched off on the community over the last couple years. It's not finished but at least it's a move in the right direction.

#38 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 02 May 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

That being said, opening up "end game content" to "beginning game players and equipment" couldn't have possibly ended up any differently.

I don't agree with this notion that FP is "end game content". When I signed up to MWO way back in Nov 2011 (the day the website went live) CW as it was known then was THE game. Quick play was the interim play mode until CW was developed.

In any event who decides "end game content" not you, not me and certainly not Tier1 tryhards like the OP who seem to think that just because they are better than 90% of players, that they can dictate who can play the game.

I agree that some restrictions on when you can play need to be implemented on players "brand new" to MWO but there are plenty of existing players who can meet any type of restriction you care to propose who wouldn't have a clue how to go about playing FP.

Telling people to "git gud" by going to the QP (solo) queue will only encourage more self centered Ramboesque players. Because that is the play style that is most prevalent in that queue.

Complaining about people complaining just makes you yet another complainer. Do something about it by offering useful advice or follow your own advice and STFU.

#39 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

The OP knows nothing - most of the time I drop in teams or even solo with people who pick their 'mechs purely to run around and kill in. If you want a better chance of survival, then learn all there is to know about the 'mech(s) that you pilot and learn their roles. Why do assaults constantly stay in the back? Their pilots are afraid of taking damage, yet they are the most heavily armoured, so do not be afraid to get in there and cover the weaker members of your team!
Why do light 'mechs run around like chooks without their heads? Your role is to scout and provide accurate targeting data for your team members, not run out, report on one location then make a kamikazee run against a mixture of 10 heavies and mediums.
Mediums... Your role is both to help scout and also to help defend your team members. Provide covering fire for the big boys, and keep those ECMs and ams systems up to shield the assaults and heavies from long range fire.
Heavies... Basically the same roles as assaults and mediums. You have jump jets, ECM, ams, LRMs (or a mixture of them all) - use them all to provide covering fire for the scouts and help the mediums cover the assaults while they take the front lines.

#40 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

So you are really saying "git gud or GTFO"

Good plan for player retention. That worked really well for FP so far.

To get better you need to be able to play the game and not just in QP either. You need to learn the maps, the objectives and how the modes work.

New players should NEVER EVER be pitted against vets. Period.

Gate it however you want, but everyone should be able to play the mode, it's just a question of who they should face off against/with and what influence they should have on the map.

You absolutely can not expect anyone to get better by not being able to play. Nobody in the history of anything was instantly good without practice.

Do people need to get better, of coarse they do, but this elitist crap about it being "our" game mode, don't play if your no good etc has done more harm to the player base than any number of stomps will. Why? Because if someone actually comes to the forums to get some help, they see endless threads telling them they are crap and should play QP or another game entirely.

Your thread helps no one. Not even you because if it serves it's purpose the player base will continue to shrink until it become an un viable game mode.

I agree new players should never be pitted against vets. So why are they playing Faction Warfare, a gamemode about unit planetary conquest in a no matchmaking environment which is the only public gamemode that does not penalize players for grouping together. Does that sound like a gamemode that is very new player friendly or would be ideal to solo queue?

Quick play is your more casual/solo/new player friendly gamemode and if you want to play Faction Warfare nobody is stopping you but units and 12 man's are always going to exist in that gamemode because it's not designed for "the elite" it's designed for grouped players who use teamwork, coordination and communication.

What's really done the most harm to this gamemode is all the lone wolf mentality players that mistake the gamemode for a planetary quick play where they think they can solo queue with ease, get easy rewards for little competition. Those players should be playing a gamemode more suited to what they want which is quick play, not faction warfare.

If anything the biggest problem with this is that there is way too many different kinds of players with their own concepts of how they want to play the game all cramming into the same gamemode and clashing. So I disagree that this gamemode should be for everybody. You can't have a casual solo friendly gamemode like quick play and turn faction warfare into another casual solo friendly gamemode. If you solo faction warfare, you do so at your risk otherwise find a unit, group up and have a MUCH better time for yourself and everybody else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users