• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostAnavel Gato2, on 05 May 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Night_Gyr

The laser HS prototype should not be avayable now, but only in future when swiching to another timeline.

In other words, only when new weapon / items like IS ER ML, IS rotary ACs, Clan Heavy lasers and others will be avayable.

Don't be a putz. Those things aren't going to be available for a very long time. One could as well say not to add LFE's until IS ERML's are in or whatever else, it's stupid circular reasoning.

Anyways, they aren't adding LHS's as items, just making the Night Gyr glow when not, and maybe quirking it to be unaffected (good or bad) from environmental heat.

#62 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:53 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 May 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

Anyways, they aren't adding LHS's as items, just making the Night Gyr glow when not, and maybe quirking it to be unaffected (good or bad) from environmental heat.

Neither of which anyone would particularly be interested in; either a shoot-me-here sign or being unfairly gimped when everyone picks frozen (like everyone does, all of the time)...

Hope it can be toggled off.

#63 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

View PostSmoothCriminal, on 05 May 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

Neither of which anyone would particularly be interested in; either a shoot-me-here sign or being unfairly gimped when everyone picks frozen (like everyone does, all of the time)...

Hope it can be toggled off.

Neither of which anyone would be particularly interested in? Haven't you read this thread? Many of us are ecstatic for both.

A "Shoot Me Here" sign is silly; if you're running hot (you only glow when hot) then you're firing, so people know where you are anyways. Nobody struggles to see mechs in this game unless they're deliberately gimping themselves with bad monitor settings.

And yeah, sure, you don't get extra cooling on cold maps, but you also don't run hotter on hot maps. Instead, you have consistent heat sink performance on every map. That's awesome. There's more hot than cold maps to begin with, and honestly running at Forest Colony temps on Terra Therma? What a blast that would be. Particularly for a Ballistic+Energy mech. Sure, you're still at FC temps in Frozen City, but it's not like anyone feels terribly toasty at neutral temps.

But honestly, this is awesome just because it'll certainly look badass. THAT is what most of us care about =)

#64 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:29 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 04 May 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

The FAQ says the Night Gyr might get quirks to resemble the effects of Laser Heat Sinks (essentially that environmental heat transfer quirk that the Hellslinger has based on how laser heat sinks work, I presume). They EVEN said they are considering putting in a "glow" effect to the Night Gyr when it heats up, because laser heat sinks are supposed to glow.

I'm going to go with "hell yes", especially to the glow thing. Its not guaranteed but that sounds very cool. Do it PGI!

How would it be at all like the Hellslinger?

It has a super sealed mech, its get less effects from environmental heat but that has nothing to do with its lasers or how they generate heat nor is it a quirk for lasers.

It just takes less heat on hot maps from the environment, but in turn also lets off less heat then other mechs in a cold environment.

#65 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 05 May 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

How would it be at all like the Hellslinger?

It has a super sealed mech, its get less effects from environmental heat but that has nothing to do with its lasers or how they generate heat nor is it a quirk for lasers.

It just takes less heat on hot maps from the environment, but in turn also lets off less heat then other mechs in a cold environment.

That's what Laser Heat Sinks do.

They have nothing to do with mounted laser weaponry. All they do is ignore environmental heat and glow.

#66 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

OK - we will see the visual effects when they arrive.

I have not played Terra Therma in a while - because people will always choose cold/neutral maps. Fixed map rotation fine but with our voting system it would be a disadvantage.

Just give it +5% dissipation or some-such.

#67 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostSmoothCriminal, on 05 May 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

OK - we will see the visual effects when they arrive.

I have not played Terra Therma in a while - because people will always choose cold/neutral maps. Fixed map rotation fine but with our voting system it would be a disadvantage.

Just give it +5% dissipation or some-such.

It's not about it being an advantage, it's about it being something different and cool.

Besides, you can have hot maps if you want, that's what the multiplier is for =) It's fun to troll people that way, and other Night Gyr pilots will do it too Posted Image

Edited by Wintersdark, 05 May 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#68 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

The laser HS prototype should not be avayable now, but only in future when swiching to another timeline.

LHS start out in 3051, were produced for use with the Night Gyr. At the least, put them in as a chassis-specific option like the unique Standard 60 engine for the Urbanmech.

#69 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 May 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

It's not about it being an advantage, it's about it being something different and cool.

Besides, you can have hot maps if you want, that's what the multiplier is for =) It's fun to troll people that way, and other Night Gyr pilots will do it too :)

I run AC/s and SRM'S as primary weapons, I already Troll people with hot maps :lol:

#70 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

You can still over heat with the bigger AC/s and missile launchers on Terra Therma. If they make the Night Gyr not affected by environmental heat (good or bad), that's huge.

#71 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostRedDevil, on 05 May 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

You can still over heat with the bigger AC/s and missile launchers on Terra Therma. If they make the Night Gyr not affected by environmental heat (good or bad), that's huge.

Very true, but with good trigger discipline, even twin ERPPC's are manageable.

#72 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 05 May 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Very true, but with good trigger discipline, even twin ERPPC's are manageable.

Twin ERPPCs.... me no likey on a heavy, only on the poptarts or sniper builds. Shadowkitty does it alright, but LPL is more manageable.

#73 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostAresye, on 04 May 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Anyone remember this?

Posted Image

I was trying to find that the other day to add to this thread... glad you found it!

#74 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 May 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

Twin ERPPCs.... me no likey on a heavy, only on the poptarts or sniper builds. Shadowkitty does it alright, but LPL is more manageable.

/shrug

When I want to feel like I'm cheating I pull out my Timby with:

cERPPC x2
cASRM4 x4
TC mk1
CAP

Only Mech I have that has a higher kill count per match than my WHM-6R (S) with PPC's is that Timby....

#75 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

Well, lemme simply say this.

In terms Piranha's Money People will understand: I was (and currently am) most likely going to pass on the Night Gyr. It's not my kind of 'Mech - I prefer to be on the upper end of the speed gauge and figure overloading yourself with a million tons of weaponry is for people who can't out-think their foes and be where they need to be to win the fight with a rational-person level of armament.

If laser heat sink quirks were confirmed to be coming for the Night Gyr - the environmental stability and the glow effect - I would purchase the basic pack at the very least.

The Tacticon on the Cyclops and these notions for the Night Gyr are what the quirk system goddamn should be for - not patching up bad chasses by adding fifty tons of free gear/ensuring everything has a minimum of 60-tonner armor and structure regardless of its actual weight, but for adding awesome little touches like this that reflect the 'Mech's lore, history, and character, and make every machine its own unique experience.

I heartily endorse and encourage this idea of Piranha's and will make with the wallet treats should it become fact.

#HellYes.

#76 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

"30% increased heat dissipation when exceeding overheat threshold"
Is what I'd want the quirk to be

Edited by PerfectDuck, 05 May 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#77 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

View Post1453 R, on 05 May 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

The Tacticon on the Cyclops and these notions for the Night Gyr are what the quirk system goddamn should be for - not patching up bad chasses by adding fifty tons of free gear/ensuring everything has a minimum of 60-tonner armor and structure regardless of its actual weight, but for adding awesome little touches like this that reflect the 'Mech's lore, history, and character, and make every machine its own unique experience.

I heartily endorse and encourage this idea of Piranha's and will make with the wallet treats should it become fact.

#HellYes.

Yes!

I want chassis to have as much unique flavour as possible. Back In The Day, that was easier to obtain simply because there where few mechs. That day is past.

If anything, I wish PGI had done this earlier, but I'll take what I can get.

But neat, unique things like this are way better than just stacking on more and more quirks, which should remain as small as possible to account for balance issues only.

#78 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

I like the idea of new mechanics.

I am sort of puzzled, that 4 pages into this thread, the only one I saw on the GD forums.... no one has mentioned the model and hardpoints for this mech?

The torso mounts are at cockpit level. The head mount is above the cockpit. There is an energy boat, a ballistic boat, a missile boat, and some mixed bags.

They have JJ.

Based on loadouts, it looks like there is a solid amount of pod space to customize the loadouts away from stock if you choose. Possibly limited space in the ST however with 5 fixed armor slots. I would guess this mech as an energy mech might actually run out of crit space for DHS. As a mix or ballistic mech, the only downside might be that the torso mounts don;t leave enough space for bigger AC's or goose.

IMO, even without quirks(it is a clan mech after all) it is going to be a tough cookie. It might suffer from Battlemaster style limited torso twist range, and it could also suffer bad hitboxes, but we won't know hitboxes till release and thats true of any mech ever.

It deffinatly looks tough. I haven't played my clan mechs much(I haven;t played anything much for most of this year actually) but I am actually interested in this mech. If they give it fancy equipment, glow in the dark style or whatever they come up with, highly likely I will preorder this mech.

PGI, you better confirm or not this feature(s) before the end of preorder time plz.

#79 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 May 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

I like how they have to include gimmicks to sell mechs now

first cyclops computer now laser heatsinks

the worst part is people are dumb enough to fall for it

Dumb enough to fall for established Lore? Sorry, I know it's not 3025 tech, but you still might find a way to like it.

#80 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 May 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

That's what Laser Heat Sinks do.

They have nothing to do with mounted laser weaponry. All they do is ignore environmental heat and glow.

and apparently turn heat into light.... or is that rubbage?

Thats quite a big difference you seem to just be sweeping under the rug there if its the differnce. Unless the Hellslinger is in fact also using this tech and PGI just interpreted it wrong or something...or its same tech just one applied to the mech itself the other to its DHS'.

Edited by Revis Volek, 05 May 2016 - 03:30 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users