Sportsmanship

155 replies to this topic

#141 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 May 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Wow! 7 pages and still going.

Anyway, this is the reason I try not to use "gg" anymore, it is just too controversial and has very different meanings to different players.

As someone that still tries to be sportsman like, I have decided to just do the salute instead. Sure people could be against that too, but I think the chance is a lot less.

I once had someone ask me why I compromised. They thought I shouldn't cave in to some players opinions and should stick to my guns if I felt "gg" was acceptable.

Thing is, it is about the message more than the words. I want to thank the other team for their effort (win or lose), and how exactly i say that is of little importance.

If there becomes a time when a large portion of the player base hates "<o", then I guess I will look for something else. Hopefully there will be something else.

I'd like to think that some players still have some semblance of sportsmanship, or at the least, allow players to voice it without being chastised for it.

Ya bud you tapped in to a sore spot it seems, oh well at this point it's time to un subscribe to this post. I will say I am a little dismayed that no one took the time to also post that we as a group can encourage, offer suggestions, kudos and not demand or be dictatorial to other players. Ya we all have done dumb things in the game but though the frustration levels are up (Blame PGI for that guys not each other) play through it Mech-Warriors. Luck!

#142 Kelbor

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

View Postadamts01, on 09 May 2016 - 01:48 AM, said:

I have a couple of questions. How do you find the time to gather all the flowers that power your mechs? And how do you keep your cockpit full of sunshine on night missions?

Adamts01. This is an easy question to answer. The positive behavior is a learned response. I work a job that requires myself to be polite, friendly, and helpful to every person I come in contact with, no matter how much of an idiot I believe them to be at the time. If I didn't adapt I would probability be in jail for homicide.
Same thinking for MWO. If I didn't shug off the bad games and move on then I would be so pissed off all the time I would most likely be kicked off the servers by now.

#143 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostKelbor, on 09 May 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Adamts01. This is an easy question to answer. The positive behavior is a learned response. I work a job that requires myself to be polite, friendly, and helpful to every person I come in contact with, no matter how much of an idiot I believe them to be at the time. If I didn't adapt I would probability be in jail for homicide.
Same thinking for MWO. If I didn't shug off the bad games and move on then I would be so pissed off all the time I would most likely be kicked off the servers by now.

I've competed in sports, shooting and martial arts my whole life. I've been through a lot between being a stupid kid, a Marine, and an even crazier life after that and it takes a **** ton to get me worked up, more than about anyone I know. But dealing with kids on the internet is a different level, I could definitely use some of your attitude. If I sit down to play this game for a day I typically go through 2 liters of Red Horse. Anyway, a lot of it has to do with the lack of community. 5 minute match then you move on, then a new team, then another new team. The other game I play a lot of is Squad, on private servers, where everyone talks back and forth, teamwork is required and actually happens, matches are 45 minutes long then you start another match with the same group of guys. Moving to private servers like that is probably too big a change for MWO, but keeping a group of 24 together, fine tuning the MM as it continues, and having an in-game social hub or lobbies you could join would do wonders for this place. Right now it's like driving past someone on the hi-way, no one gives a **** about anyone.

#144 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 09 May 2016 - 03:17 AM, said:

Based on that first question, you must not read your own replies.

You can't point out me claiming to be a role model. Got it.

As for the rest, you still haven't addressed the absurdities of:

- Claiming to not be telling everyone what to do while then proceeding to demand that everyone behave in the way you tell them - everyone should "GG" every match or they are a bad sport because you, the self-appointed high guardian of proper behavior (when you're not picking fights on the internet with people who don't agree with you), said so.

If you spent more time addressing what I actually say instead of trying to spin it to fit your "tryhard narrative" . . .

I never demanded anything. I pointed out that offering a "gg" at the end of a match is good sportsmanship. Choose to do it or don't.

- Claiming that people "should not let others influence their actions" even as you pick fights with everyone who refuses to agree with you - and thus let "somebody else influence their actions."

Pick fights? You project too much.

If you choose to not offer a "gg" at the end of the game because sore losers might misinterpret it, then you are letting their poor sportsmanship influence your own. That is plain. That is simple.

- Claiming that any form of consideration for others is "letting them tell you want to do." I bet you must be a blast at parties or in any civilized environment.

Lie about me demanding things. Project your own wish to pick a fight onto me. Now, lie by claiming I said something I never did.

There's a quote function for a reason. Every time you avoid quoting my actual words and substitute your own in for them, everyone here can see how badly you lie.

Your replies here make no sense whatsoever, particularly your failure to understand the absurdity in demanding that everyone do as you command because "we shouldn't let others influence our actions" when we decide to not say things that could be considered offensive.

My replies make perfect sense.

The lies you keep spouting by attributing them to me make no sense. Good thing I didn't actually say them.

#145 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 May 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Wow! 7 pages and still going.

Anyway, this is the reason I try not to use "gg" anymore, it is just too controversial and has very different meanings to different players.

As someone that still tries to be sportsman like, I have decided to just do the salute instead. Sure people could be against that too, but I think the chance is a lot less.

I once had someone ask me why I compromised. They thought I shouldn't cave in to some players opinions and should stick to my guns if I felt "gg" was acceptable.

Thing is, it is about the message more than the words. I want to thank the other team for their effort (win or lose), and how exactly i say that is of little importance.

If there becomes a time when a large portion of the player base hates "<o", then I guess I will look for something else. Hopefully there will be something else.

I'd like to think that some players still have some semblance of sportsmanship, or at the least, allow players to voice it without being chastised for it.

The problem with "caving" in my opinion is that it doesn't address the root cause. Sore losers are altering your ability to be a good sport. Every time you shift phrases, the sore losers will eventually ruin that one too. It never ends because the sore losers bad attitudes are being adjusted for instead of addressed head on.

#146 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

Its hard to be positive when you get multiple days of team fails. Especially when you score top of your team and or both teams!

#147 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:32 AM

View Postvandalhooch, on 10 May 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

The problem with "caving" in my opinion is that it doesn't address the root cause. Sore losers are altering your ability to be a good sport. Every time you shift phrases, the sore losers will eventually ruin that one too. It never ends because the sore losers bad attitudes are being adjusted for instead of addressed head on.

Words are just words, it's the meaning or the gesture that counts. Changing how to convey a message isn't caving, but being discouraged to the point so as to not send that message is. I choose to keep being acknowledging my other teams effort and thanking them for the game, and if I need to change the term because one has fallen out of favor, that is fine.. Therefore in my eyes, I have compromised nothing :).

Besides, you will always have sore players (we always have for as long as games have been played), so nothing has changed. If anything, the internet by it's nature of anonymity has made it more up front and vocal, but it has always been there. If it hasn't changed since all of human history, it isn't going to change now :).

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 11 May 2016 - 04:40 AM.

#148 zeves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:14 AM

well they wanted to open up MWO to a bigger audience and here it is, unfortunately most people are ******** on the internet. nothing you can do about it, thats because most people playing videogames like theese are between 8 and 25 and not mature.
Think i do remember a time when most people were polite in this game, the first year maby?.

There is a time when saying GG is appropriate , and thats when the match was relatively close and actually played out well. witch does happen sometimes beleave it or not.

#149 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 11 May 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

Words are just words, it's the meaning or the gesture that counts.

i agree with you here.

Also, good sportsmanship does not start and end with a gesture of respect. You have to actually respect other players and that includes their beliefs and opinions as well, as long as they are somewhat reasonable. If a good sportsman gets aware of such a problem, he should always try to find a solution that improves the situation. It does not have to be perfect, just better. The important part is that he is trying, not that the solution is absolutely perfect.

However, "I will show you my respect the way i want, no matter if you like it or not." does not seem to be very sportsmanlike to me. Also, calling people that disagree "sore losers" does not work well, if some people in the winning team seem to be offended as well. Showing some respect and understanding for other people opinions on the other hand seems to be very good sportsmanship for me. Especially if all you need to do is to change two characters.

Edited by Baelfire, 11 May 2016 - 04:33 AM.

#150 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

I have no problem admitting I have poor sportsmanship, I talk **** through the match...Most of it is in jest though.

#151 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostBaelfire, on 11 May 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

i agree with you here.

Also, good sportsmanship does not start and end with a gesture of respect. You have to actually respect other players and that includes their beliefs and opinions as well, as long as they are somewhat reasonable.

Tell that to the players who don't "gg" because they don't think their opponents played well enough to deserve it.

If a good sportsman gets aware of such a problem, he should always try to find a solution that improves the situation. It does not have to be perfect, just better. The important part is that he is trying, not that the solution is absolutely perfect.

However, "I will show you my respect the way i want, no matter if you like it or not." does not seem to be very sportsmanlike to me.

Which is not at all what I said and you know it. Provide the "gg" because there is no way to know before hand how your opponents will take it. You aren't forcing anything on anyone. You are offering a salutation. How they receive it is beyond your control.

Also, calling people that disagree "sore losers" does not work well,

Good thing I didn't do that then, isn't it?

if some people in the winning team seem to be offended as well. Showing some respect and understanding for other people opinions on the other hand seems to be very good sportsmanship for me. Especially if all you need to do is to change two characters.

Changing the two characters is fine. Fine until sore losers begin to interpret "o7" as "you are so bad at this game that you should just shoot yourself in the head."

Then what will you use? When will you stop accommodating the sore losers of the world?

#152 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

View Postzeves, on 11 May 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

well they wanted to open up MWO to a bigger audience and here it is, unfortunately most people are ******** on the internet. nothing you can do about it,

Actually there is. Don't accommodate bad behavior. When you lose and the opponents offer up a "gg" send one back and call out any of your teammates that respond with "no it wasn't" or "this team was crap" or "Clans/IS OP." When people are confronted about their behavior they do actually change it.

Or take your route. Accommodate them and then declare there is nothing you can do because you've already accommodated them as hard as you could and they just didn't seem to magically learn sportsmanship.

thats because most people playing videogames like theese are between 8 and 25 and not mature.

In my playing and coaching career, I've seen some pretty fantastic displays of sportsmanship from people of exactly that age range. It isn't an age thing. It's a learned behavior thing.

Think i do remember a time when most people were polite in this game, the first year maby?.

There is a time when saying GG is appropriate , and thats when the match was relatively close and actually played out well.

Did you graduate from The Oldradagast School of Mechwarrior Judging? Who gave you the right to declare anyone else's effort or skill at the game not good enough for a simple "gg?"

witch does happen sometimes beleave it or not.

#153 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

Saying GG at the end of a stomp is being a sore winner. Theres nothing more trashy than a sore winner. A sore loser isn't even close. That's why I have never been a sore winner. A few "I told you so's" aside. Posted Image

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 May 2016 - 01:11 AM.

#154 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

Agreed, a sore winner is far worse. A braggart or a gloater is probably the worst thing in any competition. That type of person I have nothing but the most vile loathing for.

#155 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

View PostKelbor, on 04 May 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

Hello my fellow Mechwarriors. I thank you for taking some of your time to read this post. I just finished a quick solo queue match that really disturbed me. I found myself on a losing side of a match due to poor coordination and even worse positing. We have all been there and it happens a lot in solo. The problem I see is the poor attitude and insults being flung on VoIP and in game text. I have been in this game for a long time so any criticism I get is probability deserved, but I have often found new players in solo and they little to no idea what they are doing and bitching at them will never help them improve and is likely to scare away what I see as vital to the long term survival to Mechwarrior, New Players.

This negativity is a cancer that is killing off one of our favorite pastimes. We all, including myself, need to stop and really rethink how we represent ourselves in match and try to help the new guy, which is often the quietest ones, improve enough to really start enjoying this game and not rage quit in a couple of hours. That is all. Thank you for your time.

sportsmanship in mwo? me thinks you doth ask to much im afraid.

#156 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

There is GG afooot ARISE ARISE

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users