Sportsmanship

155 replies to this topic

#101 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

I don't always 'GG'.. but when I feel that the reds played a nice maneuvere or play, or when they counter a preplanned maneuvere by us, I'll 'GG' them where they won, lost or stomps happened either side

#102 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

GG = Giggity Giggity.

How did all of you noobs not know that? Good game? In a PUG? HAH!

Yall crack me up~

#103 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 06 May 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

So, to summarize your replies so far, on top of picking a childish fight with me because I dare to have a different opinion than you,

Get over yourself.

claiming that that people interpret internet text the same as they do face to face encounters,

Strawman is made of straw.

claiming that everyone who doesn't type "GG" at the end of a match is somehow "discounting their opponent's effort"

Quote mine is mined.

and "poor sport" by whatever nutty rules you've defined for humanity,

The same rules that my 25 years playing, coaching, and officiating in organized sports have taught me. But, you go ahead in your poor sport way and call them "nutty."

and claiming that "since anything can offend, who cares who you offend,"

I especially like the part where you used quotations to indicate that I said this when in fact I never did.

Liars' gonna lie.

you are now also trying to give me orders regarding my behavior while justifying such pig-headed lunacy with how I "shouldn't let others dictate my actions."

Orders? Please provide a quote of my "orders."

You can try to rationalize your poor sportsmanship all you want. It won't make you anything but a poor sport.

I'd like to assume you can see the insanity in that, but I don't have high hopes. Posted Image

Coming from someone who just created strawmen, made up quotes, quotes out of context and other fallacies, I couldn't care less what you hope for.

Where, exactly, in all that groundless drivel you've posted is the good sportsmanship you claim to support?

Win or lose, you offer a "good game" to your opponents. Always. How they interpret that statement is out of your control and dictated by their own sportsmanship.

I think I'm going to "not let others dictate my actions" and simple laugh.

Just like everyone else does when they see you make a post.

I'd assume you were trolling, but sadly, based on the nit-picking nature of your replies, I suspect not - you probably honestly believe what you've written, which is sad. Just to be clear: "GG-close." I think you can successfully interpret what I mean by that.

I don't think it comes across the way you think it does. I would have to care what you think and agree that you've somehow 'won' this discussion for it to have any meaning besides hilarity to me.

#104 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 06 May 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Another point to consider - a game may be closer than it appears.

I've been in games now and then where while the final score is lop-sided, like 12 vs 4, the surviving team's mechs are mostly walking scrap. If they know this and realize just how close they came to be defeated and type "GG," they may have honestly meant it.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't list the surviving percentage health of mechs that made it through the battle. If it did, it might reveal that some games that appeared horribly one-sided based on the score were actually closer matches than one might think.

I have thought this to but I doubt PGI will implement it.

#105 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 06 May 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Not really, not at all.

I can tell within the first few minutes if we will have and easy win or not. For example...

On BOG, if my team spwans on the bad side, where we cant get access to the high ground, and everyone just piles up at the bug carcass at the base of steps its like watching a train wreck in slow motion every single time.

9 out of 10 times unless you are a nice, mean brawl heavy group not taking the high ground on Bog means defeat. Similar things happen on maps like Terra Therma, when only 4 of your 12 man team go into center and the rest just clog the ramps shooting each other in the back and hiding behind whoever is in front. This usually results in a difficult, uphill game for the left overs.

After playing over 4,000 matches you start to see the trends and can pretty much tell if your team has there s*%t together or they are gonna get wipe the floor with us like a dirty mop.

I completely agree but I guess I didn't make the point I was try to make that the same people who did nothing, said nothing and got nothing as a score try to blame their poor playing on everyone else.

#106 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

View PostMrJeffers, on 06 May 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

And I assure you: You're wrong. Just because you can't handle that people will show good sportsmanship with an end of match saying, doesn't mean everyone is using it as an insult. If they say gg close in the above situation *that* is an insult.

Quit assuming everyone is using it as an insult and your resentment level of the other players in this game might go down a few notches.

I was on the 12 side.

The team chat was anything but respectful of the opponents, including my favorite bit from the GG'er of "they should be good like that every game, I farmed four kills!".

So, yeah. That. GG and all that sportsmanship. So nice. Much good. Wow.

#107 Vickinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 195 posts
  • LocationInside You

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:02 PM

So has this devolved into SJW saying that typing GG is hurting your feelings at the end of the game and now its the end of the world because someone was mean on the internet. Oh noes

#108 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

View Postwanderer, on 06 May 2016 - 08:49 PM, said:

I was on the 12 side.

The team chat was anything but respectful of the opponents, including my favorite bit from the GG'er of "they should be good like that every game, I farmed four kills!".

So, yeah. That. GG and all that sportsmanship. So nice. Much good. Wow.

So one match means everyone who ever uses gg means it is an insult? Posted Image One time out of how many makes it always?

Pay attention to when the gg's start hitting chat. Most of the time it's before anyone can possibly have seen the team score screen. Sure some people use it that way, never said they didn't, but they are the *minority*.

#109 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:09 AM

Its the powet of the internet. It took something from real sports (Good game to every player on both teams, usually with a handshake) and devolved it into an insult (gg, give up the game already)

#110 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostVickinator, on 06 May 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

So has this devolved into SJW saying that typing GG is hurting your feelings at the end of the game and now its the end of the world because someone was mean on the internet. Oh noes

LOL really lets not go there, next we will have a petition for Safe Mech Spaces.................ROFL

#111 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostMrJeffers, on 07 May 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

So one match means everyone who ever uses gg means it is an insult? Posted Image One time out of how many makes it always?

Pay attention to when the gg's start hitting chat. Most of the time it's before anyone can possibly have seen the team score screen. Sure some people use it that way, never said they didn't, but they are the *minority*.

Enough times that given the context from the side the other team doesn't see, it's poisoned the term for me completely as a method of respect.

When you've got someone on chat laughing about the pure suckitude of the other team, followed by "GG"?

Nah. I'll thank them for the game instead.

#112 Owlmoth

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

I've had a few interesting matches seeing a lot of what's mentioned here fly back and forth.
My personal favourite was when I took a brand new mauler out for a spin, on the scoreboard, we wiped the enemy team in kills. But glancing across the state of my lance, with almost no armour left to speak of, missing limbs and exhausted ammunition at the end, I can honestly say the enemy team made us work for each and every kill, at least on the side of the map I saw.
They put up an excellent fight. So, to that, I figure it's worth a 'gg'. Got lots of rage in reply from 3 of the enemies, was quite enlightening in fact.

Personally, I tend to toss the 'o7' out at the beginning of matches if people are talkative, sometimes get those in return, or just blather with everyone else during loading, and throw a 'gg' out at the end if I thought it honestly was a good game, especially if I'm on the losing side, to show no hard feelings. Seems like there's a lot of people these days shouting 'bad game' instead on even 6 to 12 scores.

Maybe throwing a qualifier on the end for the sake of MWO is in order, but 'gg' is reflex when I mean it, I've been playing online games since '98, in all that time, I've never seen the kind of anger over its use that I have here in MWO.

#113 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 06 May 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Sore losers who take "gg" to mean an insult are the same players who would try to use "gg" as an insult when they win!

People can take it the wrong way for a number of reasons....if i have doubled, tripled or even quadrupled the next best guy in my team yet have still lost-seeing"gg" from the winners isn't really what I want to see.

I also don't ever say GG when I win either-I'm aware others find it irritating and I don't want to rub salt in the wound.
If an enemy plays really well-I'll congratulate them on their effort.
If they have just rolled over my team with a wave of meta'd up, overquirked lolmechs and then say "GG........"

during tuk 2 my unit had a policy of not shooting enemy in their drop zones, they had to be powered up and feet on the ground-able to fight back. We also when we won, offered one on ones to any enemy that wanted them so they could get their score too.
Spamming "GG" when you beat someone down isn't really what I'd personally call sportsmanship.It's not what you say-it's what you do that defines it in my eyes.

Edited by Jon Gotham, 07 May 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#114 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostJon Gotham, on 07 May 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

People can take it the wrong way for a number of reasons....if i have doubled, tripled or even quadrupled the next best guy in my team yet have still lost-seeing"gg" from the winners isn't really what I want to see.

Sore losers are sore losers.

I also don't ever say GG when I win either-I'm aware others find it irritating and I don't want to rub salt in the wound.
If an enemy plays really well-I'll congratulate them on their effort.
If they have just rolled over my team with a wave of meta'd up, overquirked lolmechs and then say "GG........"

Like I've already said, not saluting your opponents at the end of a match REGARDLESS OF HOW IT WENT is a form of poor sportsmanship.

during tuk 2 my unit had a policy of not shooting enemy in their drop zones, they had to be powered up and feet on the ground-able to fight back. We also when we won, offered one on ones to any enemy that wanted them so they could get their score too.
Spamming "GG" when you beat someone down isn't really what I'd personally call sportsmanship.It's not what you say-it's what you do that defines it in my eyes.

Try that in any face-to-face sports league and see how long before your teammates or coach call you out for being a sore loser or poor winner.

#115 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 07 May 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Sore losers are sore losers.

Like I've already said, not saluting your opponents at the end of a match REGARDLESS OF HOW IT WENT is a form of poor sportsmanship.

Try that in any face-to-face sports league and see how long before your teammates or coach call you out for being a sore loser or poor winner.

You have a very black/white view on this, with anyone that disagrees with you being wrong. Not cool matey.
I have fought in amateur mma matches and Taekwondo, I bow in a meek a manner as possible-I don't go up there and give it the well fought if I've just ko'd the guy, I know he's feeling sore/down from the loss.
Actually I'm a fairly good winner, I go out of my way to avoid rubbing their face in it.
Evertime I lose and it actualy WAS a good game, I say so. but only if it IS a good game. If a particular enemy has played well, I'll say so. But I won't push out fake/hollow words for the sake of it.

GG has changed to mean something else in online gaming sadly, good game to me means a good game. Nothing more. If the game wasn't good for BOTH teams then honestly it's out of place. a quick o7 maybe, as that doesn't have the same connotation that G has now.

People are going to have a different opinion to you, and just because you don't agree that don't make them wrong. You should see each thing from each end of the spectrum, I can see it from your end but you can't/won't from mine-discussion over basically Posted Image

Edited by Jon Gotham, 07 May 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#116 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:04 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 07 May 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

The problem is that you are not "saluting your opponents" if you use "gg" at the end of a game, you are telling them that this game was a particular good game. For a lot of people a good game implies, that both teams did not only play fair, but brought their a-game as well. If you use "gg" after a 12:1 stomp, you basically tell them that they suck and the one mech they killed was all they ever could hope for. It should be obvious why some people perceive that as an insult.

The problem is not being a sore loser, it is a problem with the term "gg", which has different meanings for different people. If you want to salute to the other team it would be better to use something that can not misused/misunderstood so easily. Using "o7" might be good solution, because it seems that it actually means "salute".

Edited by Baelfire, 07 May 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#117 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

But saying anything except GG would require him to change what he's doing. Change is scary. Things we don't understand are scary. Hence, we are scary because he does not understand the other person's point of view.

As Jon Gotham said, these guys are so stuck in their ways, the discussion is over. You can't have a constructive conversation with someone who cannot perceive things from outside their own point of view.

#118 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:32 AM

Most matches that I've either been on the winning or loosing side that ends up 12-0 to 12-4 really haven't been good games. When you see 5 or 6 Founders on one side and a full set of non-unit, non-package players on the other, the likelihood is that there's a stomp incoming. A good game involves active participation and enjoyment by all, win or loose, something a stomp doesn't provide. If at the end someone says "GG" or similar, then it is an insult. A simple thank you is far more polite if you feel the need to say anything.

However, there is a simple way to not make this an issue and that's to restrict your chat and not display general match chat. This way the opposition can say whatever they want and nobody will be the wiser!

Anyway, restricting chat to unit and team would be closer to the point if you were in a mech battle, who would want to risk giving over information erroneously just because they didn't type "T" before saying what they wanted to :)

Customs and what is acceptable behaviour varies across the world's peoples, respect their choices as much as they would be expected to respect yours, so please consider that before telling everyone else what is or isn't good practice.

#119 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

View PostJon Gotham, on 07 May 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

You have a very black/white view on this, with anyone that disagrees with you being wrong. Not cool matey.

Says the guy who's about to explain how I am wrong.

I have fought in amateur mma matches and Taekwondo, I bow in a meek a manner as possible-I don't go up there and give it the well fought if I've just ko'd the guy, I know he's feeling sore/down from the loss.
Actually I'm a fairly good winner, I go out of my way to avoid rubbing their face in it.

A simple "good game" does not rub anyone's face in anything besides those who are poor losers. That's their problem, not yours.

Evertime I lose and it actualy WAS a good game, I say so. but only if it IS a good game. If a particular enemy has played well, I'll say so. But I won't push out fake/hollow words for the sake of it.

Yeah. Sportsmanship be damned. No way we should be expected to act civil to each other all the time. And the only way the words could be fake or hollow is if you didn't mean it. That means you aren't such a "good winner" after all. Not having respect for your opponents regardless of their performance is just rank arrogance.

GG has changed to mean something else in online gaming sadly, good game to me means a good game. Nothing more. If the game wasn't good for BOTH teams then honestly it's out of place.

Poor sportsmanship rears its head yet again.

Who are you to sit in judgement of what was a good or bad game on the part of your opponents? Maybe they are very new to the game and what you fought against was the very best they could do. You don't get to judge what is or is not a good game for anyone but yourself.

a quick o7 maybe, as that doesn't have the same connotation that G has now.

I can see that being an acceptable substitute but it doesn't get past the fact that the Internet is what you choose to make of it. If you let "gg" mean "get good" then it is your fault that it does.

Avoiding a simple "gg" because the Internet has made it mean something else is simply using the Internet as a rationalization for not being a good sport.

People are going to have a different opinion to you, and just because you don't agree that don't make them wrong.

Yes. Why not rationalize your poor sportsmanship with a little post modernist drivel.

You should see each thing from each end of the spectrum, I can see it from your end but you can't/won't from mine-discussion over basically Posted Image

I do see it from yours. I think I see it a little more clearly than you yourself might. I spent over a decade of my life teaching sportsmanship to dozens and dozens of athletes.

View PostSuko, on 07 May 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

But saying anything except GG would require him to change what he's doing. Change is scary. Things we don't understand are scary. Hence, we are scary because he does not understand the other person's point of view.

As Jon Gotham said, these guys are so stuck in their ways, the discussion is over. You can't have a constructive conversation with someone who cannot perceive things from outside their own point of view.

Might want to get that mote out of your eye. It seems to be blocking your perception.

#120 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostBaelfire, on 07 May 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

The problem is that you are not "saluting your opponents" if you use "gg" at the end of a game, you are telling them that this game was a particular good game. For a lot of people a good game implies, that both teams did not only play fair, but brought their a-game as well.

And who are you to judge what is or is not a-game for anyone besides yourself?

Only arrogant jerks think they can tell whether their opponents did their best. If your opponents made a mistake and lost, you should not respect them for playing?

Do you guys even hear yourselves at all?

If you use "gg" after a 12:1 stomp, you basically tell them that they suck and the one mech they killed was all they ever could hope for. It should be obvious why some people perceive that as an insult.

This statement tells us everything we need to know about whether you are a sore loser or not.

The problem is not being a sore loser, it is a problem with the term "gg", which has different meanings for different people. If you want to salute to the other team it would be better to use something that can not misused/misunderstood so easily. Using "o7" might be good solution, because it seems that it actually means "salute".

If the salute became the norm, you think sore losers and poor winners would never ever misinterpret the intentions behind someone using it? Do you know anything about psychology at all?

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users