#61 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

View Postadamts01, on 06 May 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

Not really, people are just crazy sensitive around here.

I don't know man...I just don't think being "crazy sensitive" is really the thing here. I think its just a matter of common courtesy. I mean on the one hand I agree that truly egregious behavior is pretty rare; but on the other, I've been in matches where a couple of people are just vile to everyone in the match. There is just no reason for that. GG after a stomp is nothing compared to that sort of thing. Sigh. What was that golden rule again? Never mind. GGClose.

#62 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:55 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 May 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

I don't know man...I just don't think being "crazy sensitive" is really the thing here.

I probably go 100 games in between running in to people that are real ********, for the internet and the way noobs are catapulted to tier 3 and thrown in tier 1 games, I think that's pretty good. I'm a **** when people are stupid, but it's calling them out on stupid **** they deserve to be called out on. Not just being bad, that's not their fault, just really, really stupid ****.

#63 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 04 May 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

You've clearly never fought groups that DO use it as an insult.

If you get rolled 12/0, and the team that rolled you goes "gg" That's very clearly an insult. Because no, it wasn't a "good game" it was an absolute stomp.

I try not to gg unless the match was 6/12 or closer. THAT is a good game, both teams put up good fights.

Did you never play any sort of sport as a kid? At the end of every game you shake the hands of your opponents and tell them good game regardless of what happened during it. It's called sportsmanship.

#64 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostNaduk, on 04 May 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

It can get pretty bad around here , I'm glad we don't have the moral issues that moba games have

It's been bad lately
I had someone try to tell me that GG is a insult

It's not an insult , it means thanks for playing because with out you there would not have been a game at all

It's the same as shaking the hand of your opposition as you leave the field

Say GG
Say thanks for the match if you can't say GG
Say we'll played if you just got schooled with superior tactics or positions
Give helpful advice to people you see struggling and next time they might have improved and help give a better match

Understand a great many players don't speak or even understand English
So getting angry at someone who ignores your advice or directions is only a waste of your time

If you have nothing nice to say , say nothing

There is no excuse for being an jack off

Everyone else is here to have fun
Just like you
Be the community you want to be a part of

Manchester United thrashes the **** out of some pub team full of doddering old drunks who only play on Sundays.

The score is 250-nil by the time the final whistle blows.

The camera swoops in on Cristiano Ronaldo as he swaggers up to the pub team's ageing captain, who can barely stand after the 90m ordeal, and looks desperate to get off the pitch and order a pint at his local.

****-eating grin on display, Ronaldo sweetly intones: "Good game!"

#65 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostKelbor, on 04 May 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

Hello my fellow Mechwarriors. I thank you for taking some of your time to read this post. I just finished a quick solo queue match that really disturbed me. I found myself on a losing side of a match due to poor coordination and even worse positing. We have all been there and it happens a lot in solo. The problem I see is the poor attitude and insults being flung on VoIP and in game text. I have been in this game for a long time so any criticism I get is probability deserved, but I have often found new players in solo and they little to no idea what they are doing and bitching at them will never help them improve and is likely to scare away what I see as vital to the long term survival to Mechwarrior, New Players.

This negativity is a cancer that is killing off one of our favorite pastimes. We all, including myself, need to stop and really rethink how we represent ourselves in match and try to help the new guy, which is often the quietest ones, improve enough to really start enjoying this game and not rage quit in a couple of hours. That is all. Thank you for your time.

I especially like the post game whiners who will not say a thing in furtherance of the game but will declare that they knew the match was going to be lost at the beginning - As in they lost because everyone else sucked.

#66 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

I played older games and so i had "gg" built in, done without thought. Playing this fine game has taught me to use "wp" instead so as not to upset anybody. This is because people cannot learn to let go of their butthurt. Its hard to lose, i know, but you just got to bite it down and say gg. Whay else are you going to do? carry on being sad for the whole day? just let it go ffs.

Sportsmanship well, few nights back quickplay, my team decides to all shut down and get me killed cause im running lrm maddog. Sometimes you drop in quicklplay and 20 players are all on the same ts and not even playing the same game as you, i guess they dont want to spend for private games. My apologies to the decent players but this community has similaritys to world of warcraft.

#67 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

View Postvandalhooch, on 06 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Did you never play any sort of sport as a kid? At the end of every game you shake the hands of your opponents and tell them good game regardless of what happened during it. It's called sportsmanship.

Actually I avoided it, after basically always getting picked last constantly and being the "nerd"... I decided sports, and sportsman can go shove a bat where the sun don't shine.

No sir, sportsmanship is much more than a half hearted "Good Game" after a sound beating, or using it to rub a victory in the other team's face. Good Sportsmanship is avoiding cheese, it's taking care not to injure your own teammates, and it's giving the other team a fair shot.

There's an illusion of good sportsmanship here, but that's all it is, an illusion. When you have groups that laughingly throw 12/0 stomps in your face, and are within seconds [sometimes before the match is even up] willing to GG you, it stop's being a "good game" and becomes a "Get Good".

#68 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 06 May 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

There's an illusion of good sportsmanship here, but that's all it is, an illusion. When you have groups that laughingly throw 12/0 stomps in your face, and are within seconds [sometimes before the match is even up] willing to GG you, it stop's being a "good game" and becomes a "Get Good".

Dont you just love those guys? the "GG" that appears within a fraction of a second of game end? Let go of your butthurt, deep breath, smile, say gg back!! and let it go and their words have no meaning

Edited by Burke IV, 06 May 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#69 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 05 May 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

I personally believe that gg, thank you for the match, wp are all insults.
We all know they are an insult... so stop the act please!

I NEVER say gg when i win a game... i just say nj on team chat and that is it.

I'm of the opposite thought set. When I compete in archery or shooting competitions and the guys I'm competing against say nothing, especially if they won it's a HUGE sign of disrespect.

#70 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

View Postvandalhooch, on 06 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Point to consider: That happens in REAL LIFE.

This is a video game on the internet, where it is MUCH harder to read a person's intentions and meaning in what they type.

To use the real life comparison, if you just got thrashed in a game of soccer or whatever, and your opponents come up to you and say, with obvious dripping sarcasm, "Good game!" would you be fine with that? Would that be sportsmanlike even though the words "good game" were said? Of course not.

On the internet, it is much harder to read what people mean. Sometimes, the "GG" is obviously sincere. Other times, it is obviously sarcastic and rude. Most of the time, it is hard to tell, and people have different tolerance levels for that type of stuff.

Long story short, you never know how people will interpret what you type over the internet, and even though I remind people of that, I've messed it up myself in the past, too. As for me, I only type "GG" when the game obviously was close just to avoid misunderstanding.

Edited by oldradagast, 06 May 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#71 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 06 May 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

I'm of the opposite thought set. When I compete in archery or shooting competitions and the guys I'm competing against say nothing, especially if they won it's a HUGE sign of disrespect.

Yeah, well I've seen you throw GG Rekt out so much, I'd have to say you're part of the reason people like me take issue with it. Because I can't be assured a gg isn't a "gg rekt" in your head and to your teammates.

But whatever, people are just going to continue doing this... and others are just going to keep getting pissed about it. It's the way of the world I guess.

#72 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Only in your mind. In 90% of the cases people doing that mean "good game" as the end of match handshake for good sportsmanship. They aren't 'throwing the stomp in your face'.

Don't let the 10% ruin your opinion of everyone else.

gg close is the opposite, that one you can read as being a d-bag nearly 100% of the time.

Edited by MrJeffers, 06 May 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#73 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 06 May 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yeah, well I've seen you throw GG Rekt out so much, I'd have to say you're part of the reason people like me take issue with it. Because I can't be assured a gg isn't a "gg rekt" in your head and to your teammates.

But whatever, people are just going to continue doing this... and others are just going to keep getting pissed about it. It's the way of the world I guess.

Really?

Do you have proof or are you simply pulling shjt out of your arse in a feeble attempt to give yourself some moral high ground?

Because I don't allow others in QQ to do that and have kicked people out of QQ for repeatedly doing so.

#74 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

Another point to consider - a game may be closer than it appears.

I've been in games now and then where while the final score is lop-sided, like 12 vs 4, the surviving team's mechs are mostly walking scrap. If they know this and realize just how close they came to be defeated and type "GG," they may have honestly meant it.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't list the surviving percentage health of mechs that made it through the battle. If it did, it might reveal that some games that appeared horribly one-sided based on the score were actually closer matches than one might think.

#75 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 06 May 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Really?

Do you have proof or are you simply pulling shjt out of your arse in a feeble attempt to give yourself some moral high ground?

Because I don't allow others in QQ to do that and have kicked people out of QQ for repeatedly doing so.

Considering I served with you in ELP, and personally witnessed it several times, maybe it was prior to you "Turning over a new leaf" but I haven't forgotten Johan.

#76 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 06 May 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

Considering I served with you in ELP, and personally witnessed it several times, maybe it was prior to you "Turning over a new leaf" but I haven't forgotten Johan.

I said it in TS all the time, but not once typed it in match unless we took a win off the Lords.

But if it makes you feel better, keep pretending I'm QQ's version of Villz.

#77 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 06 May 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

I said it in TS all the time, but not once typed it in match unless we took a win off the Lords.

Which only serves to prove my point.

A GG from you can be taken as sarcastic and without actually meaning "Good game".

Despite the fact you may mean it, you've poisoned the well, and only proved to show me that I can't take player's at face value.

#78 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostMW222, on 06 May 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

I especially like the post game whiners who will not say a thing in furtherance of the game but will declare that they knew the match was going to be lost at the beginning - As in they lost because everyone else sucked.

Not really, not at all.

I can tell within the first few minutes if we will have and easy win or not. For example...

On BOG, if my team spwans on the bad side, where we cant get access to the high ground, and everyone just piles up at the bug carcass at the base of steps its like watching a train wreck in slow motion every single time.

9 out of 10 times unless you are a nice, mean brawl heavy group not taking the high ground on Bog means defeat. Similar things happen on maps like Terra Therma, when only 4 of your 12 man team go into center and the rest just clog the ramps shooting each other in the back and hiding behind whoever is in front. This usually results in a difficult, uphill game for the left overs.

After playing over 4,000 matches you start to see the trends and can pretty much tell if your team has there s*%t together or they are gonna get wipe the floor with us like a dirty mop.

#79 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

Actually I avoided it, after basically always getting picked last constantly and being the "nerd"... I decided sports, and sportsman can go shove a bat where the sun don't shine.

Admits he has no experience with organized sports but will proceed to tell us what it's like anyway.

Done listening to you.

No sir, sportsmanship is much more than a half hearted "Good Game" after a sound beating, or using it to rub a victory in the other team's face. Good Sportsmanship is avoiding cheese, it's taking care not to injure your own teammates, and it's giving the other team a fair shot.

Giving the other team a fair shot? That's called condescension. You play the game the best you can and you acknowledge your opponents for doing their best.

Your interpretation of what the "gg" means says more about you than it does about your opponents.

Edited by vandalhooch, 06 May 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#80 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 06 May 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Someone has to be the Villain over there at QQ, wear it proud!

Being hated is great, lets ya know that you made it. -a white rapper

Edited by Revis Volek, 06 May 2016 - 11:42 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users