• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 06 May 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

Which only serves to prove my point.

A GG from you can be taken as sarcastic and without actually meaning "Good game".

Despite the fact you may mean it, you've poisoned the well, and only proved to show me that I can't take player's at face value.

Is life miserable assuming everyone has ill intent?

Perhaps you should read The Sorrow's of Young Werther.

#82 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 06 May 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

Someone has to be the Villain over there at QQ, wear it proud!

Being hated is great, lets ya know that you made it. -a white rapper

They made me a council member there as punishment for leaving then coming back. So I need to at least act professional sometimes. And of course, ensure that the members are not in violation of the QQ and MWO CoC. Which with QQ is surprisingly easy, I've only needed to kick two guys from QQ.

But in the end I'm still a cranky, foul-mouthed, abrasive Salt-Lord on TS. I just need to be more courteous when we have guests on TS and in public. Except at Outreach, I'm allowed to uncork there and call people the glue-eating shjt-stains they are.

#83 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Your self-described two-faced nature makes me imagine you as the modern day equivalent of the blond-haired antagonist from the Karate Kid. And people wonder why some of us think the "GG" at an end of a stomp is insincere....

Edited by Suko, 06 May 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#84 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 06 May 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Point to consider: That happens in REAL LIFE.

Counter point to consider. The Internet is real life. All interactions with other humans are real regardless of the medium of that interaction.

This is a video game on the internet, where it is MUCH harder to read a person's intentions and meaning in what they type.

So, if you automatically interpret a "gg" as "get good" instead of "good game," what does that say about you?

To use the real life comparison, if you just got thrashed in a game of soccer or whatever, and your opponents come up to you and say, with obvious dripping sarcasm, "Good game!" would you be fine with that?

1 - Yes. They are the ones showing poor sportsmanship. It's a reflection on them, not you.

2 - Do you automatically assume it's sarcasm because you lost big?

Would that be sportsmanlike even though the words "good game" were said? Of course not.

On the internet, it is much harder to read what people mean. Sometimes, the "GG" is obviously sincere. Other times, it is obviously sarcastic and rude. Most of the time, it is hard to tell, and people have different tolerance levels for that type of stuff.

You just said it's hard to read what people mean and follow it up with "obviously."

Long story short, you never know how people will interpret what you type over the internet, and even though I remind people of that, I've messed it up myself in the past, too. As for me, I only type "GG" when the game obviously was close just to avoid misunderstanding.

And if your opponents are completely outclassed and the match is not close, but they tried to use effective tactics? Do you ignore their hard work and effort at the game because they might think you're being sarcastic? Why do you let the sportsmanship of others dictate your own?

"GG" it up at the end of a match. Every time. It's the only way to show your own good sportsmanship.

#85 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostSuko, on 06 May 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

Your self-described two-faced nature makes me imagine you as the modern day equivalent of the blond-haired antagonist from the Karate Kid. And people wonder why some of us think the "GG" at an end of a stomp is insincere....

An @sshole I may be, insincere I am not.

If I call you a glue-eater, I am literally telling you that I think you are so stupid that you must be confusing glue and mayonnaise.

If I say "good game," I am literally telling you that you put forth the effort and tried and am thusly acknowledging your effort, whether you got #rekt or it came down to two mechs trying to kill each other their Small Head Laser of Justice. If I don't say anything then I know you rolled over and gave up. I have respect for losers that put forth the effort, I have no respect for quitters.

Edited by Saint Scarlett Johan, 06 May 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#86 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 06 May 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Admits he has no experience with organized sports but will proceed to tell us what it's like anyway.

Done listening to you.

Giving the other team a fair shot? That's called condescension. You play the game the best you can and you acknowledge your opponents for doing their best.

Your interpretation of what the "gg" means says more about you than it does about your opponents.

Yeah...ok, sure.

#87 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:04 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 06 May 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

Counter point to consider. The Internet is real life. All interactions with other humans are real regardless of the medium of that interaction.

So, if you automatically interpret a "gg" as "get good" instead of "good game," what does that say about you?

Do you ignore their hard work and effort at the game because they might think you're being sarcastic? Why do you let the sportsmanship of others dictate your own?

So, to be clear, you're denying that it is harder to interpret people's sincerity in written form over the internet vs. reading their tone of voice and facial expressions in real life. You then proceed to put words in my mouth, accusing me of "automatically assuming gg = get good" when I never said or implied that. You then apparently assume that by NOT saying "GG" every match, I'm somehow "ignoring my opponent's efforts" when we just went over why it is hard to read people's intentions on-line. You then finish it up with more insults and demands that "everyone say GG." because that's what you do and anyone who does anything different is clearly a horrible person.

Wow. Thanks for the insanity. I never would have thought to see such a malice-filled replied to basic statements of fact regarding reading people's intentions over the internet, and I certainly enjoyed watching you put words in my mouth about "automatically assuming GG is get good." Posted Image

Look, if you want to GG at the end of every match, fine. Just don't be shocked if other people sometimes get offended. Amazingly enough, not everyone shares your exact world view where GG always means "good game" with no sarcasm intended and failing to GG makes you some sort of dishonorable scumbag. Posted Image

Edited by oldradagast, 06 May 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#88 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Suggestion: if you want to sincerely say "good game" then use words other than "good game".

For example: "Thanks for the match."

No chance of anyone misinterpreting that.

#89 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

GG means GOOD GAME, has since i was a tyke playing Baseball and Soccer.

I assure you, when I see it being used after a 12-0 stompfest where the enemy team barely clears 100 damage with their "best" performances...it's not for "good game".

I know, isn't it fun when your childhood endearments of sportsmanship are flushed down the toilet?

#90 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

I can't play Quick drop or I'm very very reluctant to because my blood boils in there, most likely my fault but I can't do anything about it apart from avoid it.

#91 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

View Postwanderer, on 06 May 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

I assure you, when I see it being used after a 12-0 stompfest where the enemy team barely clears 100 damage with their "best" performances...it's not for "good game".

I know, isn't it fun when your childhood endearments of sportsmanship are flushed down the toilet?
I "GLHF :D" before every game and try to do some form of "good game" after every match. It's simple sportsmanship.

If you take it as a negative, it's 100% a reflection on YOU, and I'm not going to stop being a good sport to your teammates because you can't handle a simple social exchange.

#92 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

View Postwanderer, on 06 May 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

And I assure you: You're wrong. Just because you can't handle that people will show good sportsmanship with an end of match saying, doesn't mean everyone is using it as an insult. If they say gg close in the above situation *that* is an insult.

Quit assuming everyone is using it as an insult and your resentment level of the other players in this game might go down a few notches.

#93 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

View PostAppogee, on 06 May 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Suggestion: if you want to sincerely say "good game" then use words other than "good game".

This is pretty much what I said in my post. Apparently it's too much effort for these guys who swear that "GG" = good game EVERY time. They're sincere enough to spend 30 minutes writing about it on internet forums, but too lazy/apathetic to spend 3 seconds to type out an actual message instead of just "GG".

Also, I am literally laughing right now at how many of the "pro GG" guys are saying "if you don't like it, it's YOUR problem" or "It's a reflection on YOU, not me". Serious? You say something that OBVIOUSLY a number of people find to be a problem and you keep saying this as if it makes it truth. How many people have to come forth and say that "GG" can and does get taken the wrong way before you will realize that not everyone in the world sees things exactly the way you do. "Walk a mile in another man's shoes" falls on depth ears for these folks. From the sound of things, their mantra would be "Walk in my shoes, they're better than yours".

What's more; no one is asking you to STOP being a good sportsman at the end of the match. I haven't seen anything like that being requested. What people are saying is that GG is often misconstrued as douchbaggery. To avoid this, why not say something more meaningful and relevant. But all we're getting from the "pro GG" guys is the sound of their heels digging into dirt.

Edited by Suko, 06 May 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#94 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 06 May 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Not really, not at all.

I can tell within the first few minutes if we will have and easy win or not. For example...
.... Assault Lance says "hold locks for LRM support" "my Atlas can totally out LRM your crab" "you're all noobs, get gud and LRM like my stalker"

It's bog and half your team goes water.

Frozen and a single assault goes cave, or Jenner hi way.

Tosurmaline and your team stops to camp death Valley.

You're wrecking on Candy mountain and 4 heavies jump off the back side to get the kill on a 1 legged spider.

HPG and half your team chases a light under the platform.

View PostWill Hawker, on 06 May 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

I can't play Quick drop or I'm very very reluctant to because my blood boils in there, most likely my fault but I can't do anything about it apart from avoid it.
I need a steady supply of beer for solo que. It sucks so bad. Mayne 1/10 games isn't a base rush or a stomp. So much noobery, so so much.

#95 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostSuko, on 06 May 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

This is pretty much what I said in my post. Apparently it's too much effort for these guys who swear that "GG" = good game EVERY time. They're sincere enough to spend 30 minutes writing about it on internet forums, but too lazy/apathetic to spend 3 seconds to type out an actual message instead of just "GG".

Also, I am literally laughing right now at how many of the "pro GG" guys are saying "if you don't like it, it's YOUR problem" or "It's a reflection on YOU, not me". Serious? You say something that OBVIOUSLY a number of people find to be a problem and you keep saying this as if it makes it truth. How many people have to come forth and say that "GG" can and does get taken the wrong way before you will realize that not everyone in the world sees things exactly the way you do. "Walk a mile in another man's shoes" falls on depth ears for these folks. From the sound of things, their mantra would be "Walk in my shoes, they're better than yours".

What's more; no one is asking you to STOP being a good sportsman at the end of the match. I haven't seen anything like that being requested. What people are saying is that GG is often misconstrued as douchbaggery. To avoid this, why not say something more meaningful and relevant. But all we're getting from the "pro GG" guys is the sound of their heels digging into dirt.

gg takes less than a second to type out so nearly everyone sees it before leaving the match. Three seconds to type 'thanks for the match' means better than half of the players have already left. Little reason to send it at that point. So yeah, gg.

#96 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 06 May 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

So, to be clear, you're denying that it is harder to interpret people's sincerity in written form over the internet vs. reading their tone of voice and facial expressions in real life.

Not at all what I said. I pointed out that you contradicted yourself in just two consecutive sentences. Not unusual for you, though.

You then proceed to put words in my mouth, accusing me of "automatically assuming gg = get good" when I never said or implied that. You then apparently assume that by NOT saying "GG" every match, I'm somehow "ignoring my opponent's efforts" when we just went over why it is hard to read people's intentions on-line.

You made it clear that you often don't "gg" the end of match because you are afraid that your opponents will misinterpret your meaning. You are letting their poor sportsmanship dictate your actions. Good sports show good sportsmanship regardless of how their opponents act.

You then finish it up with more insults and demands that "everyone say GG." because that's what you do and anyone who does anything different is clearly a horrible person.

A demand? Now who's putting words into who's mouth? If you are a good sport, you will congratulate your opponents at the end of every match regardless of the outcome. It's the very definition of good sportsmanship. If you choose not to do that, fine. Your choice. Just don't pretend that you are somehow an even better sport than those who do because you've rationalized your own behavior.

Wow. Thanks for the insanity. I never would have thought to see such a malice-filled replied to basic statements of fact regarding reading people's intentions over the internet, and I certainly enjoyed watching you put words in my mouth about "automatically assuming GG is get good." Posted Image

I think that mote has shifted out of your eye and is short circuiting your brain.

Look, if you want to GG at the end of every match, fine. Just don't be shocked if other people sometimes get offended.

I'm not shocked. Poor sportsmanship seems to be part and parcel with a large proportion of the players of this game.

Amazingly enough, not everyone shares your exact world view where GG always means "good game" with no sarcasm intended and failing to GG makes you some sort of dishonorable scumbag. Posted Image

Poor sports gotta be poor!

Edited by vandalhooch, 06 May 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#97 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostAppogee, on 06 May 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Sore losers will misinterpret anything you say to them at the end of the match. Just be a good sport. Use whatever congratulatory salutation you want and play on.

#98 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

Okay, well, it must be cuz I am from a polite country. I usually type it on a win or loss unless I disconnect once I die. I have never known that it was an insult.

#99 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostSuko, on 06 May 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

Also, I am literally laughing right now at how many of the "pro GG" guys are saying "if you don't like it, it's YOUR problem" or "It's a reflection on YOU, not me". Serious?

It's as if you know absolutely nothing about sports psychology.

Given a statement that can be interpreted in one of two ways and with no context to determine which is intended, a player's mind will put itself in place of the other person and imagine what they themselves would mean in the situation.

Sore losers who take "gg" to mean an insult are the same players who would try to use "gg" as an insult when they win!

Poor sports are poor sports regardless of whether they win or lose.

You say something that OBVIOUSLY a number of people find to be a problem and you keep saying this as if it makes it truth.

Sore losers will take exception to anything you say. ANYTHING. Why should we abandon the social norm to accommodate people who have poor sportsmanship?

How many people have to come forth and say that "GG" can and does get taken the wrong way before you will realize that not everyone in the world sees things exactly the way you do. "Walk a mile in another man's shoes" falls on depth ears for these folks. From the sound of things, their mantra would be "Walk in my shoes, they're better than yours".

Me thinks you doth protest too much.

"Thanks for playing." Can be interpreted as sarcasm.

"You guys did great." No way that will be misinterpreted.

Can you come up with any short, simple phrase that could never possibly be interpreted as a sarcastic put down? Give me one!

#100 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 06 May 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

You made it clear that you often don't "gg" the end of match because you are afraid that your opponents will misinterpret your meaning. You are letting their poor sportsmanship dictate your actions. Good sports show good sportsmanship regardless of how their opponents act.

So, to summarize your replies so far, on top of picking a childish fight with me because I dare to have a different opinion than you, claiming that that people interpret internet text the same as they do face to face encounters, claiming that everyone who doesn't type "GG" at the end of a match is somehow "discounting their opponent's effort" and "poor sport" by whatever nutty rules you've defined for humanity, and claiming that "since anything can offend, who cares who you offend," you are now also trying to give me orders regarding my behavior while justifying such pig-headed lunacy with how I "shouldn't let others dictate my actions." I'd like to assume you can see the insanity in that, but I don't have high hopes. Posted Image

Where, exactly, in all that groundless drivel you've posted is the good sportsmanship you claim to support? I think I'm going to "not let others dictate my actions" and simple laugh. I'd assume you were trolling, but sadly, based on the nit-picking nature of your replies, I suspect not - you probably honestly believe what you've written, which is sad. Just to be clear: "GG-close." I think you can successfully interpret what I mean by that.

Edited by oldradagast, 06 May 2016 - 06:38 PM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users