Does Anyone Grasp The History?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Puresin

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

so with all this balancing of the weapons already in existence.

Does anyone grasp the fact that according to the storyline the clans have 500 years of technological advancement in weapons tech? That's literally like the American army going to war with an undiscovered band of natives in the jungle of brazil.

So instead of balance this and that (catering to the whiney I want everything equal people)
why wouldn't you advance the timeline and do what would actually happen?

stolen tech eventually being copied but to a lesser extent.

Would make waaaaaaay more sense in respect to the game. Hey their gonna bring new tech to the inner sphere (new computer system in the Cyclops) but nothing for the clans? oh the night gyr will "light up" or have "quirks" instead of giving us the laser heatsinks.

Why is it PGI continues to favor the inner sphere? wonder why you aren't selling clan mechs? cause you are basically changing the inner sphere to the clans and making clans out to be the technologically inferior group.

I mean I understand you want people to play both sides. but why bother when just about every (if not all of them) IS mech has a ******** amount of extra structure, quirks that make them fire ppc's faster.

All atlas' have 140+ pts of extra internal structure over the dire.

so think about that in each round an atlas has 30 pts of ct structure extra. assuming all armor is pushed to the front for both that's 124 armour followed by 30 pts of extra internal structure making it a min of 154 just to get to a kill possibility.
whereas the dire is waaaaaay past dead at that point. not to mention when facing 12 is opponents multiply that 30 by 12 and there's an extra 360 pts of damage required to kill this group. meanwhile not having the ability to fire as fast and adding up to three times the heat when combining the ghost heat. (this is tried and true proven with a grasshopper versus a direwolf with the exact same loadout, 3xlarge pulse lasers+ 4 med lasers grasshoppers alpha put the heat scale up to 23% Direwolfs alpha put the dire at a whopping 68% even with more heatsinks more weight and just all around more mech to deal with the heat)

Makes me eager to see the HBS version even though it won't be the same, it'll be better, cause atleast TO THEM, lights are lights and assaults are assaults and IS is IS and WILL get their butt kicked fort first little while against the clans. If PGI would stop favouring the IS, drop all negative quirks for ALL clan mechs. like they said before except this time do it and not lie about it, stop giving stupid quirks.

they MIGHT get back some of their player base. problem is too many people that play this game know the actual storyline that goes with it. It's like hansel and Gretel, who would read the story if the actual story ended with the witch eating them, no one, cause we all know the story to be that the kids get away?
Point is they need to say a little more true to the story. or they will eventually have nothing but non paying freemium players whining to make everything equal.

In fact regretting the fact that I ordered the night gyr already and I have no doubt that the Kodiaks will be a great disappointment.

I also understand no foul language but why is the word r e t a r d e d blocked out? Since when did ******** become a bad word? seriously this whole world has become a world of pansies. Please, please fight the pansification of the world.

Edited by Puresin, 08 May 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#2 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:24 PM

A multiplayer game and lore cannot always co-exist. PGI must be responsible with what they have, and this... This is not responsible.

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

500 years? Oh look 500 years and they still use Mechs. Not to mention 500 years and oh darn 750m thats awesome - this MegaWatt Large Laser can hit a target at 750m. Praise the technology advancement.

Ever herd of the Zulu Campaign of the British Empire? If not maybe the number of awarded Victoria Crosses gives a clue.

#4 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

How'd you get your "Death Star", I wonder Posted Image

#5 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

clan is weaker than IS in 12 vs 12 ad cw mode since the quirks came out.
this is just disgusting

#6 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

@puresin

I’ve read your post thoroughly and I’d like to inject some thoughts of mine towards various points in it. Hopefully you’ll bear with me on this one as you might just dismiss me being an Inner Sphere affeliate mercenary.

I think that you are very correct on the assumption that the Clans have way more advanced tech than the Inner Sphere and are also way better trained to use it properly. Even within the Inner Sphere Fractions you have great differences on the tech level or the access to it.

That said I have to reckon that the Clan also had their „Losttech“ moment, right before Nicholas Kerensky unified the breaking down SLDF into the the Clan societal structure. Of course it’s only to a fraction of the amount of Losttech the Inner Sphere has experienced, but nonetheless, it happened.

Let’s agree on the Clans theoretically being technically completely superior to Inner Sphere tech. Let’s even agree to a difference of a few hundred years on „not forgotten“ or even „further developed“ tech, starting on Starleague tech level. If all that is true, why weren’t the Clans just marching through to terra? Why weren’t they just wiping away any resistance whatsoever effortlessly? Because there is another element within the Clans, that went completely in favor of the Inner Sphere: The fighting doctrine of Clan warriors. Clan warriors are close to genetically bred to follow strict combat doctrines like one-to-one combat, non-interference refarding duels, lack of concept for deceipt and ambush, etc. They are bound to that behaviour to the point that they would rather die than to give it up. There are of course certain levels on how strong a certain Clan lives within those doctrines. But even the most strategically and tactically flexible Clans would not give that up completely. And that’s one major point where the Lore and MWO are different:

The playing style of MWO players piloting Clan Mechs.

Neither in PUG nor in FP have I’ve ever experienced strict Clan-like behaviour from Clan Mech pilots, neither friend nor foe. You might not like it, but the history you are building your argument on, clearly states exactly that this sticking to strict combat doctrine was an Achilles heel in the battle against the Inner Sphere. And even so far into the Dark Ages, the Clans still did not win over the Inner Sphere. As long as MWO Clan pilots will not mirror exactly and strictly the behaviour of their Lore counterparts, PGI will have to balance out somewhere else.
PUGs are always a wild mixture of fractions and chassis and yes, even I use my Clan Mechs when I feel like it. Heck, my favourite Mech actually is my Hellbringer and I have fought about 1/3 of my matches in it. CW/FP is a different story as it forces you on a fraction tech level. But right after the Phase3 release the dust has not setteled by a longshot and we well see how things develop there.

View PostPuresin, on 08 May 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

... It's like hansel and Gretel, who would read the story if the actual story ended with the witch eating them, no one, cause we all know the story to be that the kids get away? ...

This brings me to another point: Unlike your example with the Hänsel & Gretel story, this is not a game with a beginning and an end. It’s an ongoing game, trying to mirror the Lore you say so many of us know supposedly. I am not so sure about that last bit, I’d rather say that many are only now getting deeper into the novels and the background story because they stumbeled over MWO. MWO getting larger (e.g. Steam etc.) also widens the user base. And to survive, PGI needs more customers. In the end it is a business. And I for my part would like my provider to stand on stable ground. Not at any cost, but still ....

... So instead of balance this and that (catering to the whiney I want everything equal people)
why wouldn't you advance the timeline and do what would actually happen?

stolen tech eventually being copied but to a lesser extent....

...cause you are basically changing the inner sphere to the clans and making clans out to be the technologically inferior group....

Regarding balancing we can agree that, although there is need for it, they will never get it so right it might please everybody. But they are learning. CW/FP3 has just started. And you want less, but more profound and more though through changes than small rushed-in ad-hoc changes with every patch 10 times a year. Domination s**ked with the 3 minute timer? They listened and changed it within a few days. The game mechanics behind CW/FP are way more complex and not so easy to fiddle with. At a certain level you are undermining your own argument though. On one side you demand the adaptation of (lesser) Clan tech as selectable equipment, on the other side you complain about PGI changing the Inner Sphere tech levels to be Clan-ish and therefore making it superior to the Clans. I think putting out more Inner Sphere Clantech weaponry would only accelerate that. And please, show me the pilot who willingly chooses inferior material for battle? If we beef up the Clans to the level you are demanding (and completely ignoring the fact that pilots will fight Inner Sphere style in them) then litterally no one would want to ride an Inner Sphere chassis anymore. Even the most hardcore enthusiast will have had it after just being stomped upon by Clan god-level technology. Not a good prospect, at least by my humble opinion.

... but why bother when just about every (if not all of them) IS mech has a ******** amount of extra structure, quirks that make them fire ppc's faster...
...I also understand no foul language but why is the word r e t a r d e d blocked out? Since when did ******** become a bad word?

As in all forms of public expression, the provider of the plattform has a certain acountability over what’s said and done. I’ve been asterisked for t*u*r*d as it might be a very offensive word in english and I am actually (swiss) german speaking. So I might just not know that. I think your comment was rather intended to call PGI r*e*t*a*r*d*e*d than the the amount of extra structure you were complaning about. You could’ve easily used „insane“, „absurd“ etc. Anyway, I think they „censored“ the r-word because it is widely used as an insult calling someone physically handicaped to a mental extend.

...or they will eventually have nothing but non paying freemium players whining to make everything equal.

Well, I have to say that MWO is one of those freemium games that are fairly balanced. Not everyone can afford to spend a few hundred bucks every year and you still have a fighting chance even when you are playing „for free“. I’ve experienced actually that there’s more whining amongst paying players who they think they can buy themselves superiority and end up realising it’s just impatience relief: You get Mechs earlier, you amass stuff and points faster. Surprise when a free player that had to work harder to get where he is now, end up being better trained and harder to beat.

It feels like you would like the Inner Sphere just plain bow from your natural superiority, roll over and die. I give you that you are expressing the Clan attitude of a crusader quite well. But do not forget that you might only reach glory in defeating a formidable enemy. You might not want them weak.

Sorry for the long and pansy post. Here’s an Italian potato: patata

Edited by Thomster, 08 May 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#7 Puresin

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:05 AM

@ Thomster Thank you I do appreciate honest non trolling discussion, as for the ret***ed comment I was commenting on the structure and not calling derogatory names. I agree with what is said but again, a word is a word and when used Discriptively should not elicit offended feelings. But I am part of the old fashioned brutal honesty (i.e. I worked as a grabage man once, to me being called a garbage man was NOT offensive, it was the job, but apparently you can't call them garbage men/women, you have to say sanitation engineer) So I appreciate the updating.

now back to the discussion
@MechWarrior849305
I love how people who're jealous of my death star title reveal themselves with the "how'd you get deathstar?"
answer cause I am obviously better skilled combined with a serious amount of luck and an awesome team who literally congratulated me. Oh yeah, BTW I did it in a hellbringer with a lb20x and 5 small pulse. Bring on the salty tears cause you can't do it.

Back to Thomster ok ok, you're right I was kinda one side/back to the other side arguing, let me kinda
straighten myself out and correct my debate here.... and it all kinda just flopped cause I guess what I am really saying is I want the clan "rules of war" somehow brought in. Thus you could put the IS mechs (I think we can all agree that their quirks make them already clannish, I have a buddy with IS mechs and he can get large lasers to go 810m, Clans with a targeting computer mark 7 AND the erll module the clans can get 888m) a little bit back( I do still think there does need to be some balancing due to the OP level of the clans)

I guess that and make lights lights, I'll make this one quick. Hunchback with yellowed armor(on the silhouette, and the percentage was 95%, I do not presume to know how much damage exactly was done to his ct, but as I said 95% so not much would have been gone.) the hunchback runs into the dropship on frozen city night. turns around and this is what happens: the locust runs in and STOPS dead doesn't move. the hunchback fires first (hunchie IIC) 4x cerll = 44pts of damage. The locust doesn't move takes it all in the center torso, returns fire with 6 small pulse. result: shockingly the hunchback died and the locust runs off and wins the match. Why shocking? cause the locust had NO ARMOR CT/RT/LT front.

I think If they addressed these issues SOME players would come back. Doubt it though, More and more I a finding that PGI apparently has a track record for favouring the innersphere and lights? (I keep hearing some players that have been around longer than me saying this)

And I would like to point out that the uniqueness of enforcing some type of clan rules of war would bring this game back to its original uniqueness

now correct me if I am wrong (please do cause I would like to check out other games if they do) but this would be the only game on the market that wouldn't have "equal sides" but one that allowed the side with the lesser (tech, mechs, whatever you wanna say here) to still be able to challenge the Big bad clans.
I have played a lot of games and I don't think there is one out there yet that doesn't make everything equal in some way.
I don't know how but I think the clan war rules would be the coolest and most effective way of taking this game to the top.
I mean you could even have a clan mode where you take a mech and continuously challenge mechs (i.e. King of the castle mode?)
And no I don't want the inner sphere to just bow, I want to have a king of the hill match on alpine peaks and see just how many mechs it takes to take my direwolf down while he stands on top of the mountain, but not with the current mechanics.

Oh and your post wasn't pansy, I mean the world has become pansies cause you can't even call a garbage man/woman that. someone might be offended, too many people with too many feelings.

a pansy post would be something that ends in fairy dust or twinkle bell or something with glitter.

Edited by Puresin, 09 May 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#8 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

The way I see it most players that come to this game haven't even a clue What BT actually is and all they know is what pgi puts out.

oh and Karl the Clan lasers are a lot further range than what we see. the clan ER LLs are (25) to the IS ER LL(19) and yes those should easily be able to be seen in game but they did not wish to make clans better due to Russ's hate for them.. oh I am sorry I mean to balance them.....

Edited by VinJade, 09 May 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#9 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostVinJade, on 09 May 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

The way I see it most players that come to this game haven't even a clue What BT actually is and all they know is what pgi puts out.

oh and Karl the Clan lasers are a lot further range than what we see. the clan ER LLs are (25) to the IS ER LL(19) and yes those should easily be able to be seen in game but they did not wish to make clans better due to Russ's hate for them.. oh I am sorry I mean to balance them.....

You should not teach an Adept Rho/Omicron - infidel

While Clan ER has 25 and IS ER has only 19 the more important ranges in TT are 8 vs 7 - this is were you beat clans in TT.
Either you use brutal lyran way of closed combat or the advantage of Blakes blessed technology and go full extrem range.

PGI were oblivious (hope so) to the fact of range brackets - so we have all this small weapon boating.

I know, the RPG ranges or even the expanded S7 range rules allow those weapons to be real LOS weapons.
Only that clan technology uses slightly better focus technology.
(really would like to know how MWO would have played when range is >10km for an ER-Large Laser

#10 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:59 AM

Since I am on commute on my smartphone this is going to be fairly short. More later, first but thank you for your thorough answer. I consider myself being anythung BUT a Death Star at that point having played MWO fairly regularly for about 9 Months now. I've been knee deep in the novels since 1991 though and you can bet I always had one in my side pocket during military service. So now I am scratching at Tier3 but on that account we are lightyears away. Therefore I just have way too little an amount of matches under the belt (about 1800 or so) to have "seen it all".

View PostPuresin, on 09 May 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

... Oh yeah, BTW I did it in a hellbringer with a lb20x and 5 small pulse.

I've tested 2 or 3 configs but very soon I setteled with an ECM Hellbringer with a UAC20 (RT, 5.5t ammo), a CERLL (H) and 6 CERSL (3LT, 2LA, 1RA). Yes, the UAC jams in the worst moments but in the end I had some really epic matches in it and I won't change that one anymore. He got a brother recently though: ECM, Gauss (RT), 4 CMPL (H, LT) 3 CSPL (2LA, 1RA). Still adjusting to the Gauss but it shows promise.

So, have to change trains so more later on. Read you later!

#11 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

@Karl
the thing is Russ and co claim to be battletech players which means they know full well about the brackets and if they don't then they are lying out their rear torso about being a BTer.

hell everything they have done thus far has made me question if any of them at all was ever a BTer and their lack of lore(any True BTer would find a way to squeeze some of it in) also adds to my theory that they lack any real knowledge of how anything works in BT such as range for all the weapons and their brackets.

Edited by VinJade, 09 May 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#12 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

The SHD Gray Death or the Locust alone are proof about the common BT knowledge of the PGI staff.
Issue is the first Dev Blogs were great and the MW5 - 3rd Sucession War scenario with street fighting and not much opportuninty for sniping was also a good read.

But lets call it - Clans in MWO were made exactly for one reason - Cash Grab - the MWO mechanics of Closed Beta would haven been good enough for a solid LosTech fight (Ok Mechs like Panther would be Doa without DHS, XL and ES but with RnR at least cheap and easy to maintain)

But they rushed or were forced to rush into the least balanced of all BT eras - an era that made it necessary to create a new point value for your force - because the Lore friendly "reasons" for zell were as much worth on the table as they are in MWO (and there were 3 values - before Bv2 was Adequate)

Issue is they did a good job with the Clans at first - maybe the TBR-S was a bad idea but Clan Tech was Ok - more damage for less weight if you could handle the longer burn or splash or burst mode - but it wasn't enough because Clan tech worked good as newb vs newb and i'm pretty sure Elite vs Elite. But average vs average - the is had the advantage even without quirks.

And quirks... pff good idea, bad research worse implentation

#13 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

Clan got more advanced tech, their lasers have longer range and weight less, also ssrm4 and 6, lbx 2 5 20 which arent used at all :D, smaller dhs, ******* omnimechs not seen on is side, ST explosion proof XL engines ffs.

Yep clans are technologically backwards compared to inner sphere, what have PGI done...
Also is available technology isnt as backwards to clans due to helms core, problem is introducing these technologies to all militaries, however that doesnt affect mercenaries which can **** cbills at npc vendor.
You simply cant make it lore abiding when you have player progression in your game.

But hey i would be fine with clans being clearly superior to is, but then it shouldnt be 12v12.

Edited by davoodoo, 09 May 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#14 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

One could imagine the following given that Clan tech would be so vastly superior:
  • During FP, the Clan forces are organised in a binary star, 2 x 5 Mechs versus a 3 x 4 Mech Inner Sphere Lances
  • During PUG, a DropDeck will only contain 1 third of Clan chassis. You want play Clan in PUG? Then wait for the matchmaker to sort you in.
  • As a Clanner, the first Mech you lock on to will be truly "locked" as it has to die before you can lock another. You may shoot to other Mechs and hit them but it will reflect badly on your score. This forces Clan pilots to follow strict Clan doctrine of combat.

#15 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostThomster, on 09 May 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

One could imagine the following given that Clan tech would be so vastly superior:
  • During FP, the Clan forces are organised in a binary star, 2 x 5 Mechs versus a 3 x 4 Mech Inner Sphere Lances
  • During PUG, a DropDeck will only contain 1 third of Clan chassis. You want play Clan in PUG? Then wait for the matchmaker to sort you in.
  • As a Clanner, the first Mech you lock on to will be truly "locked" as it has to die before you can lock another. You may shoot to other Mechs and hit them but it will reflect badly on your score. This forces Clan pilots to follow strict Clan doctrine of combat.

Sounds amazing, clan simulator 2016.
10/10 kotaku

Edited by davoodoo, 09 May 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#16 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

a couple of points
first the XL engines are not indescribable and the only reason they are not knocked out of the fist with the lost side torso is because you need to nail all three crits for a normal engine but being a more advanced XL engine is one slot smaller than the IS counterparts but saves the same amount of tonnage.

If the IS didn't blast itself back to the Stone age then they too could have had such advanced tech as well.

also people should stop poking fun at the C XLFE because later on we will get LFE.

also Fusion engines do not explode. BT isn't Japanese anime where a harmless pebble could cause a fully armored mecha to explode.

Edited by VinJade, 09 May 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#17 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

It may be, that the XL resilience of Clan Omni Mechs has another and quite simple reason: You don't have a choice but to have an XL reactor in those Mechs and are therefore are not supposed to be "punished" for it by having a higher risk of, let's call it, "going critical". InnerSphere Mechs on the other hand can be quite gamble.

Since fusion reactors are not a reality (for the sake of the argument, I am not counting first very promising steps into that direction) the theoretical base is fairly done and it is widely agreed upon that it would require strong electromagnetic fields to hold the fusion plasma in place. Lore states on many occasions how defective shielding first heats up the Mech massively and if shielding is broken, basically melts down the Mech. I would consider explosions being rather a side effect, originating in the ignition of flammable materials, ammunition and highly volatile products.

#18 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

@Thom
Please check here for canon engine and how it works.
Yes it does explode but under very rare conditions other wise even if breached the engine shuts down.

#19 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

View PostVinJade, on 09 May 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

@Thom
Please check here for canon engine and how it works.
Yes it does explode but under very rare conditions other wise even if breached the engine shuts down.

Boiler explosion - fun fact - BattleTech Fusions use PPPP fusion (well at current knowledge you need a sun to have this kind of fusion) - while it would have been much simpler to describe the increased heat burden of damaged fusion engines when using the D+T Tokamak fusion

When thinking of clans i always have to think about
Posted Image

even with the cell phone the better computer i would bet, this behemoth would be much harder to break. Ok in an abstract point of view -i can say clan equipment is less durable - simple because IS weapons got offensive quirks. But i really wished it would have been the other direction.

Say each clan mech get an increased chance to get critical damage and each equipment is simpler to break. Think about sparing fights - clans fight each other in sparing combat - death can happen but its unlikely that they completely annihilate an opponent - its more likely that a destroyed ClanMech is a mission kill. Unable to fight but still easy to repair.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 09 May 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#20 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

Regarding the weight of even the lightest of the engines you can consider them pretty damn well armed and shielded. I was thinking too much scientific and too little Lore. Although Lore authors can be pretty creative sometimes ;-)

@VinJade : Thx for the link!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users