Low Light Population And Conquest

25 replies to this topic

#1 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

I play lights, I also like killing ****. When I'm in my Jenner, I typically do more work than the worst half of my team combined. Also, I absolutely detest running around all match and standing in squares. If you're not prepared to run around and do the boring job yet still vote conquest, don't be pissed when your only light that voted for skirmish doesn't jump at the opportunity. I'd rather lose and get some shots in than win by running around Polar for 10 minutes, I might as well just stay in the training grounds. That's all.

#2 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:38 PM

Good post OP

#3 DJ Mitchell

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 61 posts
  • Locationright behind you

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:05 AM

Acutally would like to high jack your thread. Which attractive light mechs could be added to the game at this point or maybe how to fix existing ones (like Commando) first ?

#4 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:11 AM

I agree with the OP. He should stay in the training grounds.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

View Postadamts01, on 08 May 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

I play lights, I also like killing ****. When I'm in my Jenner, I typically do more work than the worst half of my team combined. Also, I absolutely detest running around all match and standing in squares. If you're not prepared to run around and do the boring job yet still vote conquest, don't be pissed when your only light that voted for skirmish doesn't jump at the opportunity. I'd rather lose and get some shots in than win by running around Polar for 10 minutes, I might as well just stay in the training grounds. That's all.

So basicaly you say that you deliberately refuse the mechanics of a running game mode, deliberately rather assist the enemy in winning the game and instead of acting like the role your mech demands deliberately acting counter to it.

Grats mate.Posted Image

You just stated that you are guilty of nonparticipation, team treason and griefing.
In addition to opening a nonconstructive post in the wrong section of the forum.

3 Major violations of CoC and two potenial minor forum rules Violation Posted Image

Edit: Realy mate you have to calm down.
If the hitdetection and hitboxes of light mechs would work correctly no one would be remotely viable as combatmech.
If you are driving a scout class mech on a map where scouting and beeing fast without shooting much is of the essence...well do it or don't drive scout class.
The hillarious notion that a light mech could hurt an Assault without just beeing stomped to pulp is one of the ridiculous artifacts of the dismal performance this game all to often shows.

Edited by The Basilisk, 09 May 2016 - 12:36 AM.

#6 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

View PostDJ Mitchell, on 09 May 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

Acutally would like to high jack your thread. Which attractive light mechs could be added to the game at this point or maybe how to fix existing ones (like Commando) first ?

I don't think anything should be touched till we get Ghost Heat 2.0. I also don't care about new mechs, I'd rather that slow down and have more attention paid to the rest of the game. Fixing some other issues will indirectly sell mechs.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 May 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

So basicaly you say that you deliberately refuse the mechanics of a running game mode, deliberately rather assist the enemy in winning the game and instead of acting like the role your mech demands deliberately acting counter to it.

Grats mate.Posted Image

You just stated that you are guilty of nonparticipation, team treason and griefing.
In addition to opening a nonconstructive post in the wrong section of the forum.

3 Major violations of CoC and two potenial minor forum rules Violation Posted Image

Reaching man, you're really reaching there. I'm on the front lines kicking ***, getting a lot more done than the rest of my team usually. Feel free to report me though, doesn't seem to do anything anyway.

#7 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:33 AM

You do not win conquest by capping.

You win conquest by killing the enemy team, followed by capping three points.

So yeah, a clever light should not cap, it should focus on staying alive, so once the fight is over, its team can easily find and kill the stupid light, that tried to cap.

#8 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:36 AM

isn't this based on a faulty assumption.

how do you know that your team didn't vote for skirmish, but the enemy voted for conquest and had more votes.

By not playing the game mode you encourage the selection of the game made because those that select it and are willing to play are more likely to win because there is a chance that those that didn't select it will throw a tantrum rather than play.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

yeha FOTM jenner, nice thing.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

my rule of thumb in conquest while in a light:

cap 3 things then fight.

some games i will do this then people will complain that they lost cap and demand that i do something about it, and its usually because people weren't fighting and keeping the enemy occupied so they dont get bored and do something like steal my caps.

and the rule is not terrible, usually as a light you will have the 3 closest things capped before you make contact with the enemy. you usually have a light fight at the 3rd thing, and the first light to chicken out (or die) looses the cap. by this time mediums and heavies are showing up and setting up a firing line to keep what they have, and i can advance behind the lines, scout abit, drop a uav and hunt loose dires, which have a lot more impact on the outcome of the game than just focusing on capping.

thats not to say that if there is a situation where capping or not capping decides the outcome of the game, im not gonna be on it. but if i see the rest of the team hide behind rocks while were loosing 2 or 3 cap points, especially when they are a grid away from the cap point, screw em, they dont want to win. im gonna go for score if that happens. want me to be a team player, then act like a team and do your part.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 May 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:59 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 09 May 2016 - 12:36 AM, said:

isn't this based on a faulty assumption.

how do you know that your team didn't vote for skirmish, but the enemy voted for conquest and had more votes.

By not playing the game mode you encourage the selection of the game made because those that select it and are willing to play are more likely to win because there is a chance that those that didn't select it will throw a tantrum rather than play.

Very good point, one which I have considered, and I always apologize to my team when I let them know MM stuck them with a bad light pilot. But the other way to look at it is that they'll get pissed at me and probably not vote for conquest unless they're in a light themselves. Cleansing the world of 11 would be Conquest voters is much better than running around standing in squares while 11 teammates think Conquest is fun.

View PostLily from animove, on 09 May 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

yeha FOTM jenner, nice thing.
I've had 1,292 drops in a Jenner since I started 3 years ago. It was my first mech and all I played the first 6 months in this game. I stuck with it through the 3L glory days. I don't jump on bandwagons. Either way, I'm using the Clan A variant, never owned the Oxide.

#12 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:02 AM

View PostDJ Mitchell, on 09 May 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

Which attractive light mechs could be added to the game at this point

Piranha.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 09 May 2016 - 01:05 AM.

#13 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:11 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 May 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

Edit: Realy mate you have to calm down.
If the hitdetection and hitboxes of light mechs would work correctly no one would be remotely viable as combatmech.
If you are driving a scout class mech on a map where scouting and beeing fast without shooting much is of the essence...well do it or don't drive scout class.
The hillarious notion that a light mech could hurt an Assault without just beeing stomped to pulp is one of the ridiculous artifacts of the dismal performance this game all to often shows.

I'm the first to agree that this game needs more distinguished roles and jobs for those roles to do. But it's not what we have. I just dipped my toe in to assault water with the Atlas and it's just not that great. I realize it's not the strongest assault right now, but my 6xsrm6 jenner literally has a bigger alpha, moves 140, and can deliver it without taking return fire. My jenner A has a 36 point alpha and I've had maybe a dozen games today with 5 or 6 kills and 600+ damage. I agree it's stupid, but lights are what they are. I'm not pissed at this topic by the way, my teams are. I just started this to explain my thoughts on the matter.

#14 _Sturmkraehe_

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMunich/Germany

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:44 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 May 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

Lots of smart stuff.

Actually just this. Gameplay as a light is the most dynamic (and hence so enjoyable).

You can cap AND fight AND scout AND harrass all while the fatties try to cross the pebbles that are blocking their advance to a good firing position.

It's not all just black and white, fellas!

#15 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

View Post_Sturmkraehe_, on 09 May 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Actually just this. Gameplay as a light is the most dynamic (and hence so enjoyable).

You can cap AND fight AND scout AND harrass all while the fatties try to cross the pebbles that are blocking their advance to a good firing position.

It's not all just black and white, fellas!

Not really though. Being the only light on my team up against a Locust with a hard-on for standing in squares on Polar, Alpine, Tourmaline or Plexus is a full time job. One that I don't find any satisfaction in, and a job I'm not going to do. The team can split up or whatever they feel like doing, same as if I were in my Adder. I still blame PGI. They should stick to 3/3/3/3 in solo que, that would solve all of this.

#16 DJ Mitchell

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 61 posts
  • Locationright behind you

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:29 AM

View Postadamts01, on 09 May 2016 - 12:26 AM, said:

I don't think anything should be touched till we get Ghost Heat 2.0. I also don't care about new mechs, I'd rather that slow down and have more attention paid to the rest of the game. Fixing some other issues will indirectly sell mechs.

That's what I also meant, making the existing options viable again during that process would be good. Fighting only Arctic Cheetas, Jenner IICs, Oxidies and from time to time a Firestarter or Kit Fox is really boring...

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

View Postadamts01, on 09 May 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

I've had 1,292 drops in a Jenner since I started 3 years ago. It was my first mech and all I played the first 6 months in this game. I stuck with it through the 3L glory days. I don't jump on bandwagons. Either way, I'm using the Clan A variant, never owned the Oxide.

sure, but it does not change the fact that jenners are the current FOTM mechs after the latest "balance" and this is what causes those amazing matches for you.

#18 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

There is worst than winning by standing in a box: watching the name of your team mates pass in the chat box as they get killed, knowing that you are wasting your time with the capping. So you get a crappy score, so a huge PSR drop, no C-Bill, no XPs and, most of all, no fun.

As LordNothing said, cap three and join the fray. Prevent the other team to get 4 or 5 nods. Only map I see you should cap, on certain occasion, is HPG Manifold when the enemy team is all holed down at theta. In that case, cap the rest and hope your team isn't too stupid to get in. Most teams get in...

Edited by Percimes, 09 May 2016 - 05:51 AM.

#19 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:53 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 09 May 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

sure, but it does not change the fact that jenners are the current FOTM mechs after the latest "balance" and this is what causes those amazing matches for you.

You're right, it's all the mech. You got me. Maybe I'll see you in my MLX.

#20 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 09 May 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

I'm sure you would've said similar regardless of the mech he played. What does he have to do? Run nothing but aids stock builds?

Edited by Eth3real, 09 May 2016 - 06:05 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users