Nova 14 C-Sml, 12 C-Mdm, Or 12 C-Sml Puls?

42 replies to this topic

#21 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostTahu5, on 20 May 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Haha. Nice. 11 is good.

True on the 2 lasers being pretty much useless. But its better then nothing right?

Well, no, not really, because by giving up a DHS for them you're giving up use of the ones in the arms. Basically, you're surrendering a sure thing for a maybe thing, which is bad math (this is also why high back armor "just in case" is a bad idea...you ARE going to get hit in front).

#22 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen this but I run 8 ER mediums on my Nova Prime. All I did was remove 4 from the stock loadout and replace them with heatsinks. I like the range of the mediums over smalls and pulses so I can poke a little at range. Doing this reduces the alpha strike but helps its ability to sustain itself in more prolonged combat. Personally, I find this works better for me.

#23 Tahu5

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts
  • Locationbehind my CP screen. That's all you need to know. How did you know I was playing MWO?!? I didn't tell anyone!

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

Leone,

You said, "Personally I'd go with the S variant for the triple ams capacity. It is the only Blackhawk with an ams CT. Triple ams, an twelve er smalls is a favorite of mine, right behind the quad machine gun build. (That said, if your more of a striker'n a brawler, you'll prolly prefer the Prime.)"

I am actualy planning on running only 1 AMS with the 8 Small Pulse lasers and 4 small lasers. I don't have enough tonnage and slots to put in 3 AMS (I'd love to, but...)

latinisator,

You said, "Tahu, the quirks are on the arms. You know the Nova is an omnimech, quiaff? Meaning you can take any Novas CT and equip the arms / side torsos and legs you want.
Get the Prime,play for years. Grown tired of the ER heat quirk? No problem, just swap the arms from Prime to B, done.
Just take the CT you want (Prime, A, B, C, S) and then do as you like."

I knew that the Mech was Omni pod compatible since it is clan (NOT including IIC), but I didn't know that the quarks traveled with the pods. Thank you :) Do the Omni pod quarks apply to the whole mech or just that part of the mech (L arm, R arm, L CT, R CT, L leg, R leg)?

Zelumbras,

You said, "While the 12 ERML is an insane beast, you will have immense trouble with heat, which means that after each shot you will have to cool down for ~20 seconds. One missed shot and you are toast!

Therefore, I run the Nova with 10 ERML, which leaves two tons for either two additional heatsinks or AMS."

I am goin to run the Small lasers because the fire at half the heat, fire faster, only deal out 1-2 less dmg. I know that I am sacrificing rang, but I'm going to be flanking and alpha striking peoples backs so I wont need as much range. I will try that build some time tough. Sounds good in the sense of range.

Thanks guys!

#24 Tahu5

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts
  • Locationbehind my CP screen. That's all you need to know. How did you know I was playing MWO?!? I didn't tell anyone!

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

latinisator,

Thanks for the websites!

#25 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostTahu5, on 21 May 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Do the Omni pod quarks apply to the whole mech or just that part of the mech (L arm, R arm, L CT, R CT, L leg, R leg)?

They apply to the entire 'Mech.* Lets take a look at the Nova A:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf5349c7c26a47b

Both arms feature an ERPPC velocity quirk of 7.5% and -3% heat build-up. Now if you have both arms quipped on your 'Mech, you get a 15% increase in projectile velocity and -6% heat.
If using both A-torsos, you get a 20% increase rate of fire for your AMS.
_____

Since you want your Nova be as cool as possible, replace the side torsos with the ones offering other quirks. Like the Prime side torsos: every of them grants 4 % less in heat generation by energy weapons, making 8 % in total. Add to this the PPC quirks on the arms, your PPCs should cause 4 + 4 + 3 +3 = 14% less heat than normal.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0533ed6227944f8

edit here: swapping the torsos causes 4t of free space. Use them for 3 DHS and a TC1 (PPC projectile speed is increase by another 5%. Gets you there:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...39f592c03a9df45

____

To sum it up: spend time on this page

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...rks_medium_clan

or in the Mechlab studying the quirks that come or go with certain omnipods.

*Except the quirks are for a special part, cf. ShadowCats legs: the A variants legs get you additional structure for either the left leg (LL) or the right leg (RL) - you want both, you have to equip both, they do not stack.

edit:

Just checked in game (testing grounds):

Nova A "factory set omnipods" on Caustic Vallye has a base heat of 4, not moving or doing anything except watching stupidly out of your cockpit.
Alpha strike your impressive dual PPCs gets you to 44 heat.

Quit, swap the A-torsos in favour of the Prime ones and go to testing grounds again, same map.
Base heat is 4 again. Firing both PPCs gets you 41 heat. 3 less than before.
___

Note: swapping any omnipod causes you to lose the 2.5% bonus XP you get when having all 8 omnipods of a respective variant (Prime, A, B...). Alas, the drama. Posted Image

Note 2: always make sure to have a look at the leg omnipods as well for you never know.

Edited by latinisator, 21 May 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#26 Tahu5

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

Wow, thanks again for the web page! Also, thanks for testing that out too!Posted Image

#27 Tahu5

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hey again,

Finely got my NOVA. Good mech. Need to work on my head on atk haha.

Thank you guys!

#28 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread for helping me to arrive at a killer Nova build. Normally I'm a real stickler for not having ghost heat on my 'mech. But after playing with a build that sounded good on paper but was consistently failing to perform (NVA-S with 6 ER Medium Lasers and 4 Machine Guns) I came here for ideas. After reading what people in this thread had to say, I arrived at the conclusion that in order to be good, this 'mech just absolutely has to break ghost heat limits. I loaded up by NVA-S with some NVA-PRIME arms and slapped in 12 ER Small Lasers and kept my MGs. First game in it, 400 damage and two solo kills. One Orion and one Crab dead at my hands and it felt like I wasn't even trying. Yes, it shuts down immediately if I alpha strike but if I keep my fire to one group of six at a time it melts just about anything in seconds and can spew out a blistering amount of damage before needing to back up and cool off. And with the four MGs if the target has had their armor stripped and I am overheating I still may not need to disengage and can finish their internals with the heat neutral machine guns while I cool down. Thanks guys. I was beginning to think that I was going to have an awful time with this 'mech and it was making me sad.

#29 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

I've been having descent games with 1x UAC/10 and 6x ersml can get like 3 volleys of lasers while twitching off the quirked uac/10. make use of the jumpjets to keep the damage coming from odd angles.

funny enough i built this lamerzoid lrm 20 one with 3 tons ammo and 6x erml... does suprizingly well thanks to the jumpjets...

the 12xersml with 4x mguns and 4 heatsinks is pretty solid
with 6x erml and 6xsml ya can hold 8 cdhs..... been having a lot of fun with the nova today

#30 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostMole, on 24 May 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread for helping me to arrive at a killer Nova build. Normally I'm a real stickler for not having ghost heat on my 'mech. But after playing with a build that sounded good on paper but was consistently failing to perform (NVA-S with 6 ER Medium Lasers and 4 Machine Guns) I came here for ideas. After reading what people in this thread had to say, I arrived at the conclusion that in order to be good, this 'mech just absolutely has to break ghost heat limits. I loaded up by NVA-S with some NVA-PRIME arms and slapped in 12 ER Small Lasers and kept my MGs. First game in it, 400 damage and two solo kills. One Orion and one Crab dead at my hands and it felt like I wasn't even trying. Yes, it shuts down immediately if I alpha strike but if I keep my fire to one group of six at a time it melts just about anything in seconds and can spew out a blistering amount of damage before needing to back up and cool off. And with the four MGs if the target has had their armor stripped and I am overheating I still may not need to disengage and can finish their internals with the heat neutral machine guns while I cool down. Thanks guys. I was beginning to think that I was going to have an awful time with this 'mech and it was making me sad.

12 ERSML Novas are beasts. I personally skip the Machine Guns for a TC1, CAP, and 22 total Heat Sinks. MG's are sometimes nice to have so you have something to fire while you cool down, but I feel like if I have them they give me too much temptation to try and stick in a face to face slugfest that I probably won't win in a Nova, while sticking to the Smalls lets me focus more on skirmishing and armor rolling as necessary.

Doesn't happen every time, but when things line up right with those small lasers you can get some big damage numbers by the end of the game.

#31 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

Interesting read! I am tempted to buy a nova now!

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 30 June 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Interesting read! I am tempted to buy a nova now!

Fun mech. Great for scouting mode.

#33 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostTercieI, on 30 June 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Fun mech. Great for scouting mode.

Been wondering about this, and if its speed was an impediment. Your approval carries weight. Thanks!

#34 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 30 June 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

Been wondering about this, and if its speed was an impediment. Your approval carries weight. Thanks!

I been running it tonight and in LocustLand, I gotta admit the speed (lack of) hurts it. :(

#35 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

So having read all of this thread, and not really seeing anyone vouching for the build, would 12 c-spl and a TC 1with all extra weight being put towards dhs and armor be a viable build? I feel like it should be but I'm just curious, also srry about the necro post but id rather post here than start a new thread about litterally the same thing

#36 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostStf Sgt Marblez, on 25 December 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

So having read all of this thread, and not really seeing anyone vouching for the build, would 12 c-spl and a TC 1with all extra weight being put towards dhs and armor be a viable build? I feel like it should be but I'm just curious, also srry about the necro post but id rather post here than start a new thread about litterally the same thing

A popular build seems to be 9x SPL with a TC and lots of DHS or 2x PPC.

I prefer 4x MGs with either 6x MPL or 12x SL.

#37 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:52 AM

View PostStf Sgt Marblez, on 25 December 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

well the build is a bit less heat efficient, which means on longer matches like FP or QP it may get issus, however I use that build in Scouting when tight maps like rivercity appear. The SPL's do a better job at pinpointing damage into the light mechs. And the maps mostly work because of being just smaller knife fighting maps. But generally the build is a bit too niche.

#38 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:42 AM

10 small pulse, or 6 medium pulse 4 Mg, or dual er ppc.

Edited by Natred, 03 January 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#39 Sjoerd

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

I just made this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a0061c01cb8c77

Lots of fun playing with it. Ofcourse it runs a bit hot, but that's the nature of the nova.

#40 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

I've never see 12 cERSL Nova on top. It fun but it have extremely situative effectiveness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users