Kdk3: Please Just Get The Inevitable Nerf Out Of The Way With? **achieved! Thank You Whiners!*

1017 replies to this topic

#21 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

I think the mobility quirks are un-needed while the 1 needs some structure quirks. They all need some hitbox fixes.

What I expect to happen is the arms to be made part of the CT and them to get engine cap reduced to 325.

#22 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

The Kodiak is perfect where it is. You'd be ******** to assume it actually needed adjustments, and even more so to make such a post like this.

#23 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

I really will be incredibly depressed when they cut the Kodiak's quirks out because a bunch of whiny idjits all kvetched that the KDK-3 touched them in a bad place. I haven't had this much fun in a fatbro since the Victor first released, and I don't even particularly care for the KDK-3. The Spirit Bear, on the other hand, is an absolute riot. One which is also surprisingly easy to dismantle given its Gigantor dimensions. And people want to just flat-out cut all the quirks on all the Kodiaks specifically because the KDK-3 irritates them?

Lordamighty. Learn to actually have fun, MWO playerbase.

#24 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Actually im still waiting for twist and structure on kdk1 and 5.

Atm these are redhead stepchild which while theoretically being a part of family are not spoken about.

Edited by davoodoo, 23 May 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#25 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

I don't own Kodiaks, I don't think they are beyond the pale, I don't think they needed the structure buffs, and I don't want to see them nerfed.

I really wouldn't mind PGI taking its sweet time addressing any perceived issues with the Kodiak. It would be nice to just let us shut up and deal.

But I wouldnt say no to being mollified with a return of the Dragon-1N of quirked glasscannon yore. ;)

#26 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

We've had the SAME builds with a damn dire wolf. We just happened to get a better platform to use it with.

To even FIT uac10x4 you need to drop the engine size, which is already a huge nope because you've just lost the speed. And even when you manage 4 of them, you have to ammo up, which means some parts of your mech will wither be unarmored or an even lower engine size.

So no, it doesn't need a nerf, neither do the weapons, and everyone else needs to learn not to stare at, or play close range peekaboo with a damn 100 ton bear!

#27 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Odds are the KDK-2 and KDK-4 will be nerfed. Posted Image

#28 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostDamien Tokala, on 23 May 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

We've had the SAME builds with a damn dire wolf. We just happened to get a better platform to use it with.

To even FIT uac10x4 you need to drop the engine size, which is already a huge nope because you've just lost the speed. And even when you manage 4 of them, you have to ammo up, which means some parts of your mech will wither be unarmored or an even lower engine size.

So no, it doesn't need a nerf, neither do the weapons, and everyone else needs to learn not to stare at, or play close range peekaboo with a damn 100 ton bear!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f7f36a9deed9a87
375, plenty armor, im yet to run out of 8 tons of ammo but if you want more just drop heatsinks or arm armor whichever you prefer...

3kph is not end of the world.

Tbh i would love to drop 400 on all variants, but due to slot limitations i wont fill in tonnage with any semblance of heat efficiency if i do so.
We simply got too weak heat sinks in mwo to run kdk1 to its full capabilities.

In tt this would be heat neutral...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71b5b4b137e7428
mpl=4heat, uac20=7/shot
(8x4)+(7x2)-(24x2)=32+14-48=-2
In mwo with elite it can fire for 8 seconds...

Edited by davoodoo, 23 May 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#29 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

Just raise the stepchilds of the Kodiak family a bit and perhaps take the agility from the 3. They are good mechs and facing one of them feels like it should being 100 tonners. I think it a challenge of my piloting skills but I know I can take em playing to my strengths and to their weaknesses.

#30 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

What happens if they nerf the KDK on the same day Overwatch is released?

#31 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 23 May 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

Which is more OP, KDK or d'va?

#32 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

At least wait until the leaderboard is done and initial "new toy" status wears off, after mech usage has returned to normal preference it will be an indication of how popular/good it actually is.

People see lots of players using something, see good players who are competing for leaderboard being good, and assume the new mech is a god and start crying about it. If there was a Locust challenge and all the best players ran them for a week then people would cry it needs nerf.

Pretty funny how laser vomit is the usual target of crying but as soon as something can actually carry the weight of heavy dakka and make it work it becomes the dakka which is OP.

#33 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Funny that I see some of the same people posting here who complain about power creep in this game (some even about a low TTK) and on the other hand defend the Kodiak 3.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 23 May 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

First there are more posts on the forum saying Kodiak is ok than there are claims to Nerf it. There are also more silly damage control threads like this one than there is actual threads started to call for nerfs.

Second, the most likely change is simply removal of the positive quirks, which would still leave the 3 an amazing mech so nothing to fret about.

Third it is very likely that the Kodiak will get a hitbox pass that will improve it, given the clear indications that they are bugged. I think an improvement to the hitboxes would probably be a larger plus than the quirks currently are, so if both things are done it should come out as a net buff.

You are inflating the issue with your projections too.

Yes.. Because that's how pgi usually reacts....... They're famous for their even keeled fixes.... Oh wait... My bad, this is PGI we're talking about.... Silly me

View PostMystere, on 23 May 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Now where -- and how many times -- did I hear that before?

Exactly

View PostDamien Tokala, on 23 May 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

The Kodiak is perfect where it is. You'd be ******** to assume it actually needed adjustments, and even more so to make such a post like this.

That whooshing sound?

Was the point going over your head.

I doubt anyone besides Legendary would even notice Overwatch.....

#35 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

The lack of torso twisting so many KDK3s do, though.... Like I watch two eat each other's CTs to shreds then just swoop in and maul the survivors (assuming it isn't an ally).
They have hugely exploitable weaknesses once people figure them out. Being a second line KDK-3 with a bit of range is fantastic because while daaaaaaaaaa bears are face tanking each other's UACs you get to either be the DPS that helps your buddy break even or the savager who swoops in for the kills. I believe once the novelty wears off we'll see more UAC40 KDK-3s on the front lines and more UAC5/UAC10 combo KDK-3s at the rear. These power builds have the strange effect of leaving one team with a bunch of red core Kodiaks and the other team with none. I've actually seen it come down to no Kodiaks in sight during end game many times

#36 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

I don't own them, don't plan to.
Got to play a whole bunch this weekend finally and run with, against, and spectated lots of Bears.

My assessment? They are fine as they are. Do they rack up huge kill counts and damage...sure. Just like a massive 100 ton gun platform might be expected to do....

My first two drops I killed three Bears. One to my Oxide, couple to my MAD sporting 2xLBX10. After the initial "holy **** those things are HUGE" reaction seeing that first one on the field I got to work. And it died. So no, they are not super OP in my opinion. And you don't need a T1 meta build to kill them.
They seem to perform really well in the hands of good pilots and preform really poor in the hands of poor pilots, just like any other mech.

(edit... and yes, when they do catch you in that light stupidly crossing an open field you're gonna die hard.. I didn't know my LCT could skid that far on its face Posted Image )

Edited by Morggo, 23 May 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostRampage, on 23 May 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Where are all the tears about the KDK being OP that you are referring to? I have seen a few post on various threads and maybe one thread specifically about it. I have seen more complaints about the event and the sheer number of Kodiaks in the games than I have about the Mech itself being OP.

Actually, there are more "tongue in cheek" threads like this one about nerfing the Kodiak into oblivion than there are actual post about wanting it nerfed. Maybe Twitter or Reddit is ablaze with the complaints?

Might want to take off your blinders or rose colored glasses and take your time re-perusing their posts here in GD, then.

#38 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

I think people just aren't used to heavy-duty ballistic boats. Stand in front of a quad UAC-5 or double AC/20 crab and see what happens. That said, I think the KDK-1 does just fine without quirks, and the rest of the Kodiaks don't need quirks to do well either.

View PostInsects, on 23 May 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

Pretty funny how laser vomit is the usual target of crying but as soon as something can actually carry the weight of heavy dakka and make it work it becomes the dakka which is OP.

Exactly. Weight, armor, speed (sacrificing engine size for tonnage), ammo, and projectiles as opposed to hitscan are trade-offs for using ballistics. Yeah, staring and getting pummeled by UAC-10s or what-have-you results in death very quickly. faster than laser vomit even, but think of all the things that lasers do better. If a person wants to fight dakka boats with lasers, then don't step into their playground by being an easy dakka target. Hell, I don't think I'm that bad of a player, but a good Shadowcat using its MASC and jump jets goes toe to toe with my Kodiaks way better than I'd like to admit.

No one will notice for about 3 months.

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostInsects, on 23 May 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

At least wait until the leaderboard is done and initial "new toy" status wears off, after mech usage has returned to normal preference it will be an indication of how popular/good it actually is.

People see lots of players using something, see good players who are competing for leaderboard being good, and assume the new mech is a god and start crying about it. If there was a Locust challenge and all the best players ran them for a week then people would cry it needs nerf.

This would be the sensible thing to do.

Have you met our forums, or PGI?

#40 Captain Alt F4

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 65 posts
  • LocationDesktop

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

I hope they don't do anything to it... apart from fix that super squishy CT. This thing has nearly the firepower of a direwolf (Hello its a Kodiak!) but feels like the armour of a centurion. KDK players who want to survive have to be careful about where and when they pop out or risk getting nearly instagibbed.

Overall its about where you'd expect a feared 100T assault with an XL400 to be in terms of firepower. It compares to my dire in terms of damage per match, not including the UAC10 build which is better than the DWF UAC10 build cause... speed!

I haven't tested yet in private matches, but I don't think the SB can brawl an Atlas S and win all other factors being equal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users