• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 May 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Savior man Metus talks

Pretty agree.

Difficult enviroments teach a lot indeed.

It happened to me learning how to be a light pilot, 1 - 1,5 year ago: I decided to master 3 COM and 3 Lolcust.
One of the best experience ever made.

Now I can do well in jenner2C/oxide/cheeto..... but from time to time I really want to go commando.... a lot of fun.

Posted Image

Edit: btw, we will never have a "Fixing dead mech:COM"...'cause it's never been considered "alive" :D

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 24 May 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#82 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 May 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

CN9 is my second most used chassis.

Only thing "dead" about it is most people's understanding of how to pilot one.

I also find that they, along with HBKs are examples of generally well quirked mechs.

The only change I would see making is upping the engine cap on all models to 300, save of course, the D which already exceeds that (and the YLW which is already there).

I like that Centurions aren't "Piloting for Dummies" Mechs, that require tactics, twisting and good situational awareness to succeed.
I've played CN9 and HBK more than any other mechs but CN9 really fell behind. The YLW was the only one that slightly kept up in my experience, but that lone AC20 just doesn't pack enough threat anymore. Stormcrow, pre-nerf WVR, and HBK put it out of business

#83 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 May 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Enf can do the dakkabear/laservomit mix, which is indeed a benefit. CNN is tougher, overall. Can't say I lose duels with ENFs very often, HBKs more than ENFs

The only medium mechs i (consistently) lose brawling duels against are SPL Scrows and Novas.
Everything else? If we're both fresh and i'm not playing like a complete moron, i win like maybe... 7/10 brawls? Something along those lines.

#84 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 May 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

I am being honest, and I don't see it, except possibly on the AH ad AL. Perhaps add a little more toughness to the basic A to represent the plain jane trooper mech. But the D is one of the best Mediums exactly as it sits now, and the YLW ain't far behind. And I would say I lose my arm before running out of ammo maybe 1 match in 5. If I'm being honest. In fact, an 300xl, ac10, 2xSRM4, 2xML CN9-D is one of the best Streakcrow hunters in the game. As I said, it's my second most run mech. If anything really needed fixing, I'd say I would have a pretty vested interest in it.

The AH is a Scouting BEAST! It certainly isn't dead. Even using it in QP it does very well.

#85 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

Centurion is my signature mech from the very beginning of the beta.

Posted Image

I only play the AL variant with 3 large pulse these days, because using SRMs/ACs with all the laser vomit around is suicide.

I think the AL is in a very good spot at the moment.

When I pilot the other variants, such as the -YLW or the -A (I don't really like the -D or the -AH), I think I'm a liability instead of an asset compared to the AL: I need to get close to the enemy to be effective (don't tell me you flee when you see 1xAC10) and in the meanwhile the team receives damage.

Btw thanks to the team in the screenshot, there was a very nice flank maneuver and the LRM support saved my *** in the end against the warhawk, the shadowcat and the marauder.

Be glad that nobody considers a CN9 a threat anymore

Edited by SirSlaughter, 24 May 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#86 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

I run a XL275 3xLPL AL and I consider it one of the best mediums in the game. With 20% heat gen and duration quirks. The duration quirk makes it a hit and fade mech and the perfect platform for the IS LPL in the medium category. Much better than the underengined Blackjack.

#87 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

The Centurion will be better if/when it gets resized. For now, it is a tad too big, a little too slow, a little too immobile, and arguably a little too under armed.

#88 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 24 May 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

The Centurion will be better if/when it gets resized. For now, it is a tad too big, a little too slow, a little too immobile, and arguably a little too under armed.

immobile?

I think we are driving different mechs. Or do you still run STD engines in yours? All mine run 275-300xl and do fine on mobility, and durability. Biggest issue per say is it doesn't win any alpha wars... but then with good durability and decent speed/mobility, it's all about the hit and run.

#89 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

It would also be much better if they drew the arms in closer to the sides. It suffers from the same problem the Kintaro,Kitfox, and Dragon deal with being its much easier to isolate an arm and amputate it since it sticks so far out. Resize it and draw the arms in closer too the center mass where its harder to isolate that right arm and it will be fine.

#90 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

I would argue that it depends on which context, as in scouting missions the srm meta left it obsolete, in group queue is meh and in quick play it's also meh (xl hit and run).

Edited by Gattsus, 24 May 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#91 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

The Centurion is one of the best mediums in the game, period. That's why you still see so many of them driven - even in tier 1. They are one of the most maneuverable mechs in the game (they turn on a dime). While they may not carry the most weapons you can do well with it built optimized for any range you want. High damage scores are relatively easy to do assuming you know how to drive it.

If you have seen me in a medium for the past half year or more, there is about a 40% chance it is a Centurion

Edited by Steel Claws, 24 May 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#92 Malorish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 24 May 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

The Centurion is one of the best mediums in the game, period. That's why you still see so many of them driven - even in tier 1. They are one of the most maneuverable mechs in the game (they turn on a dime). While they may not carry the most weapons you can do well with it built optimized for any range you want. High damage scores are relatively easy to do assuming you know how to drive it.

If you have seen me in a medium for the past half year or more, there is about a 40% chance it is a Centurion

Posts like this make me laugh because they seem to confuse "I like playing a Centurion" with "therefore it's the best medium Mech in the game". The reality is every time I see a centurion I simply take its right arm off and laugh at it. If you were to make a list of the top five mediums in the game it would not be on that list.

#93 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

View PostMalorish, on 23 May 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

I love my CN9-A(C), the original mech I won many years ago. In fact I've spent the last 2-3 days driving it almost exclusively (as I do so often). I just racked up 691 damage and 3 kills in a 3xSRM6 LPL build that I love.

But if I was being honest, in just about every match I would have done significantly better had I been driving several other mediums. I agree that it's a high skillcap mech, and that those should definitely exist in MWO. You'll notice most of the changes I've proposed actually increase the skillcap (making it more asymmetric by moving the missile hard points from LT to RT).

Again, if we're being honest, there's many other mediums that do everything better than the CN9, and it needs a modest amount of help to be updated from the 2012 variant to something that is 2016 meta competitive.

Here's a question. What do you consider "Doing better?"

You're in a 50ton medium, and have gotten 3 kills consistantly. a single player, to be worth their salt, must have kills that meet, or exceed the tonnage of their mech to really be considered "a good round".

So, if you're scoring 3 kills, you're likely totaling well over 50ton's of killed ferro and endosteel. so what exactly is the problem with this mech again?

#94 Malorish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:21 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 24 May 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

Here's a question. What do you consider "Doing better?"

You're in a 50ton medium, and have gotten 3 kills consistantly. a single player, to be worth their salt, must have kills that meet, or exceed the tonnage of their mech to really be considered "a good round".

So, if you're scoring 3 kills, you're likely totaling well over 50ton's of killed ferro and endosteel. so what exactly is the problem with this mech again?

I was responding to somebody else's post about that they've had some good games in the chassis. I've also had some great games in this chassis, and I was referencing one in particular. But there's a difference between cherry picking a couple outlier stories and the fact that when you add it all up the Mech simply underperforms.

Reality is that I can take any of my blackjacks and do anything that the centurion does about twice as well if not better than that. I can also take my hunchbacks, hunchback IIc's, stormcrows, shadowhawks, or griffins and do the same. I'm sure if I even spent more than 10 seconds thinking about it I could come up with at least three more chassis that do it all better than the centurion as well.

Does that mean that you can't have good games in the centurion? No of course not. When you are up against a terrible team, or get very favorable combat conditions, it's entirely possible for you have a decent to very good game in it. But you really need a lot of things to align in order to get those good games. Those other Mechs don't need that.

Now of course scouting mode has added a new wrinkle in the whole thing. The centurion is certainly viable in that small niche. But would you really add this thing to your drop deck for faction warfare? Not unless you're a masochist.

#95 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostMalorish, on 24 May 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

Now of course scouting mode has added a new wrinkle in the whole thing. The centurion is certainly viable in that small niche. But would you really add this thing to your drop deck for faction warfare? Not unless you're a masochist.

there's only about a half dozen chassis anyone uses for faction warfare. So bad argument is bad.

Quickplay, PUG, 12v12, Scout? All very viable.

#96 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:05 AM

>I don't video.

That's a shame, I'd actually like to learn how to play the Centurion effectively from someone who both likes the mech and does well in it.

#97 Malorish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 May 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

there's only about a half dozen chassis anyone uses for faction warfare. So bad argument is bad.

Quickplay, PUG, 12v12, Scout? All very viable.

There you go cherry picking again. As I said my post there are many many other medium chassis that perform any role a lot better than the Centurion. I even listed all of them out that I could think of off the top of my head.

#98 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

I play Cents to carry a Boom Stick into the battle like the HBK-4G. The Cents (-AH and YLW) are unique in this role that they are the fastest medium with an AC/20 and specifically quirked for it.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 25 May 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#99 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostDogstar, on 25 May 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

>I don't video.

That's a shame, I'd actually like to learn how to play the Centurion effectively from someone who both likes the mech and does well in it.

I am currently and for the forseeable future, on a potato laptop (hurricane Patricia killed my desktop) which can barely pull 30 fps in the most optimal of conditions. running even shadowplay in the background seems to drop that precipitously, and makes the game pretty much unplayable.

as a slightly above average (mostly because in my experience the average in MWO is pretty awful) I still can pull 2.0 KDr in exclusively PUG play (where it's nowhere near as easy to maintain stats)
Posted Image

Do apologize for the relatively small bucket post stat reset, my playtime over the last year is 1/4 what it used to be, and since December have been largely focused on the Classic Unseen and now, the KDK, as grinding is serious business.

Regardless, essentially a 2.0 on all but the AL, which as one can tell by the limited matches, I just don't realyl like as a variant, personally.

No, the stats aren't as high as my sleepwalk easy Stormcrow stats, and certainly won't impress a Comp, but for a "dead" mech, playing in upper tiers, against Meta Mechs 24/7? *shrugs*

Doesn't matter though, the OP and Dave don't want "proof" they just want all their mechs EZMode.

View PostMalorish, on 25 May 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

There you go cherry picking again. As I said my post there are many many other medium chassis that perform any role a lot better than the Centurion. I even listed all of them out that I could think of off the top of my head.

stahp....

Posted Image

just...stahp......

#100 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

Just seen this thread, skimmed through a few posts, i'm confused, apart from being a little oversized, which isn't really that much of an issue, what exactly is wrong with the Centurion?

CND-AL does lasorz pretty well, CND-D makes the LBX-10 not only fun, but rather effective if used correctly, CND-A actually does mixed loadouts quite well, or can be a nasty srm boat, and the CND-AH/YLW ...well AC20 need i say moar!.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users