131 replies to this topic

#1 JoanTheLiar

• PipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 59 posts
  • Locationsouth pole where the ping is the highest

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

do you think this game is dying? i think it is ive befriended so many teir 4 players to see how many would stay later the year and out of so many say like 20 only 1 comes online once in a while because it didnt attract them and so many players that i play with frequently gave up on fw and were only on it because of the recent challenge so fw was a major flop after that in my opinion. im playing with the same players most of the time in solo quick play. from my point of view the groups seems to be getting smaller ever the months. am i wrong? tell me how its been looking for you over the past year

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

Barring access to PGI's financials, it'd be impossible to make a definitive statement one way or another, but it doesn't seem like it's in any imminent danger to me. Whenever I play I encounter names I've not seen before, while still occasionally running into oldsters, and my friends list typically has several people active at any given time, and generally different ones.

#3 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

People have said the exact same thing three years ago. Player base has increased since then.

#4 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

i think you are correct.
the people who want more immersion probably now know they are not going to get it.

The only hope i have for this game now is if they implement a good Solaris arena mode.
They said they were going to but who knows.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

MWO has always had a small, yet devoted, player base. It is a very niche game, and those of us that play it on a regular, long term basis are that small, devoted core. There's a group of probably around 3 to 5 times that size that plays a few hours a month, or plays it heavily for a week or two and then takes a 3 to 4 month break. Like most F2P games, there's a group probably 10 times that size (or more) that sets up an account, plays a little, can't get into it for one reason or another, and rarely (if ever) comes back (like me with WarThunder).

Is the game dying? No, I don't think so. But I also don't think the userbase is growing at an optimal pace, either.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

Nope.

~Leone.

#7 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Nope

#8 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Financially they must be more than fine and they wil lalways be paying the bills i have no fear there.

But as far as the player base goes, the game has been on life-line since i joined in 2013 and i don't know what could help it.

#9 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

I"m surprised that it keeps stumbling and bumbling along.

Biggest problem IMHO is that they still have a pretty crappy new player experience that does little to encourage new players to hang in there.

Then they do nothing to cater to, or assist, players who just want to play casually with a friend or two other than throwing them into a group queue that is full of veteran players and much larger, better organized groups. Result....they get repeatedly b1tchslapped and soon disappear.

Even with those issues and despite the glacial growth in actual retained new players they still manage to live off the wallets of a small dedicated community.

Edited by TLBFestus, 25 May 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#10 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

You probably befriended a lot of Steam players that picked up MWO when it was released there. Steam players have a notoriously short attention span as far as games go. That is why Steam is successful. They are always looking for something new.

Sure, a lot of players have left over the years. I can count at least 50 friends who no longer play for one reason or another. But if you watch the New Player forums there are always new people coming in to take their places. Some will stay. Some will not.

The game will never be able to compete with CoD, Halo. CS or Overwatch because BattleTech/Mechwarrior has a small fan base. But it is a very fanatical and dedicated fan base. They will complain and cry for changes and better game play. They all have a vision of how this game should be made and what it should be. MWO will never live up to everyone's expectation but most of us will stay and play (if only occasionally) until the very end before looking for our next BT fix.

I do not think the end is coming anytime soon.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostEscef, on 25 May 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

MWO has always had a small, yet devoted, player base. It is a very niche game, and those of us that play it on a regular, long term basis are that small, devoted core. There's a group of probably around 3 to 5 times that size that plays a few hours a month, or plays it heavily for a week or two and then takes a 3 to 4 month break. Like most F2P games, there's a group probably 10 times that size (or more) that sets up an account, plays a little, can't get into it for one reason or another, and rarely (if ever) comes back (like me with WarThunder).

Is the game dying? No, I don't think so. But I also don't think the userbase is growing at an optimal pace, either.

QFT. Excellent, balanced POV without hyperbole or hysteria.

#12 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 25 May 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

Barring access to PGI's financials, it'd be impossible to make a definitive statement one way or another, but it doesn't seem like it's in any imminent danger to me. Whenever I play I encounter names I've not seen before, while still occasionally running into oldsters, and my friends list typically has several people active at any given time, and generally different ones.

Yeah - I've been playing for over three years, and have a pretty good memory for names, and in each drop I typically only recognize 2-5 names. That means there's at least nineteen people that I haven't bumped into before (or have bumped into so infrequently that they might as well be new to me).

Does the game have it's issues? Yep. Is my interest fading? A little bit. Is it dying? Not sure, but I don't think so, and they ARE making progress on it.

#13 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 25 May 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Does the game have it's issues? Yep. Is my interest fading? A little bit. Is it dying? Not sure, but I don't think so, and they ARE making progress on it.

When I see people saying there is progress a certain song starts playing in my head. Oh there it is now.....

#14 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

The game is fine. The numbers will fluctuate because ppl get tired or another game comes out, etc.

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

People come and go, but many have been here since day one, and many come back now and then.

Truth is, people can't (or don't usually) have a lifetime to spend on MWO.

Free games are here to pass the time. Sometimes people just pass and spend time elsewhere.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

I think the KDK sold well.

#17 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

MWO simmers but doesn't boil. It's not doing bad per-se. It just sort of exists.

#18 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

The game is 3+ years old. Of course it's dying. Almost every game is dying after 3+ years. But it's a slow death. PGI has said they're in it for the long haul, they want to keep it alive for years. They realize it's going to be a cash cow for quite some time, and they can keep milking it without adding too many expensive features, probably.

I do think we will see Solaris and PVE before they shut the servers down. The playerbase will definitely, definitely be shrinking. But that's to be expected. How many games this old are actually growing? Not many.

#19 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Going to say this because I hope this thread will get buried.

I'm surprised this game has lasted this long considering all the shenanigans PGI has pulled over the years. I feel battletech fans are the singular reason this game hasn't tanked.

#20 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

MWO won't die as long as the hardcore MW fanbase has no where else to turn. That is why I pray another company, one with a real development staff and track record of producing top level games, takes over the IP from PGI's underwhelming hands. The MW universe has so much more to offer, and we get a laughably small portion of the content presented to us by MWO. But hey, buy a mech pack!!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users