Problem With Tournament Client

149 replies to this topic

#141 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

I should point out again that manually copying the files from the main MWO game is no longer necessary. The repair tool will harvest any files it needs from any other MWO installs that it finds (as long as the file in question is actually the proper file and doesn't mismatch).

So, to summarize Crispy Chicken's setup with the recent simplifications:
1) Start the portal and install Tournament
2) After the installer popups are done, once the portal starts downloading the install base, shut it down
3) Restart the portal, but instead of patching, right-click the Tournament icon and run the repair tool
4) Scan and fix
5) Close and re-open the portal, and start the game

I'm working on simplifying this further, to remove a lot of the close/reopen step, and also work this into the initial install process so you don't need to bother with the repair tool at all.

Hopefully this is moot at this point and everyone in the Tournament has already installed the client, but if not, this should cut down the install time by quite a bit.

#142 Hunter Watzas

• PipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

I know some players who went on today, pressed play and it told them to repair and it started that. They have been trying to repair all day and it has been extremely slow. They say their speed starts normal and then drops quickly to 10s KB/s from MB/s.

There may be something wrong with the software.

#143 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

So far I am "OK" but, since I installed the portal, I all of a sudden have a "memory leak" even when not running the portal.....

system specs

Core I7 4790k (OC'd to 4.4Ghz)

2x R9 290x

16GB DDR 3 2133 Mhz

512 SSD

2TB Hdd

Windows 10 pro

All water cooled

I went ahead and ran the windows performance monitor and, with the portal (and or regular client) open, and a full live twitch stream open I was only using 3.52 Gb of my 16Gb...and I'm still randomly getting a "low memory" warning and often getting a full application shut down... this just started immediately after I d-loaded the portal client, I can't help but feel it is connected. I know in the past that cryengine can sometimes have memory leaks, and was wondering if i am the only one experiencing this? if so, then there might be another cause, but my IT background tells me to look at the newest thing on my comp if there is all of a sudden a new problem, any thoughts?

Edit: By "OK" I mean this has not caused me a hassle during a match yet, but since i have not played in a match......this did cause me several headaches when I was setting up my mech garage, and last night, on the "regular" client the game shut down several times causing me multiple game penalties in a row..so I am very concerned..

Edited by lpmagic, 03 June 2016 - 06:44 AM.

#144 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

View Postlpmagic, on 03 June 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

So far I am "OK" but, since I installed the portal, I all of a sudden have a "memory leak" even when not running the portal..... system specs Core I7 4790k (OC'd to 4.4Ghz) 2x R9 290x 16GB DDR 3 2133 Mhz 512 SSD 2TB Hdd Windows 10 pro All water cooled I went ahead and ran the windows performance monitor and, with the portal (and or regular client) open, and a full live twitch stream open I was only using 3.52 Gb of my 16Gb...and I'm still randomly getting a "low memory" warning and often getting a full application shut down... this just started immediately after I d-loaded the portal client, I can't help but feel it is connected. I know in the past that cryengine can sometimes have memory leaks, and was wondering if i am the only one experiencing this? if so, then there might be another cause, but my IT background tells me to look at the newest thing on my comp if there is all of a sudden a new problem, any thoughts? Edit: By "OK" I mean this has not caused me a hassle during a match yet, but since i have not played in a match......this did cause me several headaches when I was setting up my mech garage, and last night, on the "regular" client the game shut down several times causing me multiple game penalties in a row..so I am very concerned..

Is this only happening when the Portal is open? Because once you start the game, it shuts down and that's it. It doesn't run any services or anything, so unless it's actually running, it will have no impact. Also, a memory leak would keep increasing memory usage. I'm not sure if there's something causing spikes, but we saw nothing to indicate such a thing in any of our testing. The game can spike, for sure, but it should balance out. But the Tournament client is virtually identical to the regular game client.

How's your primary HDD (or SSD) free space? Maybe it's running out of swap space or something.

Also, if you get a chance while your computer is idle, maybe try running a memory scanner to make sure that you don't have any corrupted sections or anything.

#145 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

View PostHunter Watzas, on 02 June 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

I know some players who went on today, pressed play and it told them to repair and it started that. They have been trying to repair all day and it has been extremely slow. They say their speed starts normal and then drops quickly to 10s KB/s from MB/s. There may be something wrong with the software.

More likely to be an issue of a slow connection to the nearest CDN node, or that the node itself hadn't cached the files yet. The software just uses standard Windows calls to download files, as it always has (the download code for the Repair Tool, Patcher, and Portal is all the same, and hasn't really changed for two years or so).

#146 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 02 June 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

I should point out again that manually copying the files from the main MWO game is no longer necessary. The repair tool will harvest any files it needs from any other MWO installs that it finds (as long as the file in question is actually the proper file and doesn't mismatch).

So, to summarize Crispy Chicken's setup with the recent simplifications:
1) Start the portal and install Tournament
2) After the installer popups are done, once the portal starts downloading the install base, shut it down
3) Restart the portal, but instead of patching, right-click the Tournament icon and run the repair tool
4) Scan and fix
5) Close and re-open the portal, and start the game

I'm working on simplifying this further, to remove a lot of the close/reopen step, and also work this into the initial install process so you don't need to bother with the repair tool at all.

Hopefully this is moot at this point and everyone in the Tournament has already installed the client, but if not, this should cut down the install time by quite a bit.

Hi Krist,

Would it be possible for these changes to go into the pts/steam/standard client portals after you have simplified the process?

#147 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostGroutknoll, on 03 June 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

Hi Krist,

Would it be possible for these changes to go into the pts/steam/standard client portals after you have simplified the process?

The portal will be the main....um....portal.....for all the releases once it's ready for such a purpose. I'm just trying to take care of a couple of final issues and edge cases before it's ready for that, but it should only be another week (or perhaps less) before I can start adding in the other releases.

There will be a point of no return, and that's the main difference between Tournament and all the other releases - there's no way for anyone to have already installed Tournament prior to the Portal, since that was the only way to install the game. So that means it was way simpler to release exclusively for the Tournament build. However, with the main MWO release and PTS, it's possible for those to have already been installed, and there are several things that need to be addressed in order for the Portal to take control of them. Firstly, since the old patcher is no longer needed, the repair tool will remove it when consolidating. And that brings with it the need to remove/update desktop and start menu shortcuts and such. Also, the game is now (finally) installed per-machine, whereas old releases were per-user, so some registry keys need to be adjusted. There's more, of course, but I'm hoping to get the Portal handing all of these cases asap. And when I do, then I'll add in the other builds and release the "final" version for everyone.

So, the main point here is that the latest changes to the repair tool make it incompatible with the current setups for MWO (main) and PTS. Once the Portal is finished (at least enough to add in the other releases), the repair tool will work for everything with one major exception - Steam. Steam is Steam, it handles things all on its own. It has its own repair process (validation) and doesn't interact well with our MWO Repair Tool. So, unfortunately, none of these latest changes apply to Steam installs. In order for it to do that, there's a lot of technical issues to take care of on both the Repair Tool side and the Steam side. So, at best, that's something that might happen further down the road.

#148 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 03 June 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Is this only happening when the Portal is open? Because once you start the game, it shuts down and that's it. It doesn't run any services or anything, so unless it's actually running, it will have no impact. Also, a memory leak would keep increasing memory usage. I'm not sure if there's something causing spikes, but we saw nothing to indicate such a thing in any of our testing. The game can spike, for sure, but it should balance out. But the Tournament client is virtually identical to the regular game client.

How's your primary HDD (or SSD) free space? Maybe it's running out of swap space or something.

Also, if you get a chance while your computer is idle, maybe try running a memory scanner to make sure that you don't have any corrupted sections or anything.

This happens when the "tournament client" is running, I apologize for the poor information :). but it is not every time.

I have 400GB free of my 512 on my SSD (main drive)

have run mem test recently, no failures everything is good. I am at a loss.

#149 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:34 PM

I've got a trouble ticket in with PGI's Bobby Zubraj.

I've tried everything in this thread including a full fresh download. Every time I hit the play button the wheel turns for a bit then I get a dialog saying "failed to initialize game."

Normal game works just fine. Never get to the client using the portal.

Anybody out there dealing with anything like that?

#150 Ebon Grimalkin

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

Looking for ideas to solve my Tournament Client issue.
I am missing all buildings, ramps, rock features, and bridges on all of my maps. In place of them I have little "marker balls" where the structures should be. I have tried running the repair tool, re-downloaded the client twice, changed various graphics settings in the game an also in my Radeon settings, downgraded/upgraded my video drivers... to no avail. My normal client has none of these issues and never has.
I have tried copying the map PAK files from the working client but that had no effect. I have tried copying all other PAK files. No help. Last Saturday I submitted a problem ticket to technical@mwomercs.com but to date have not received any reply other than the automated request for more information. I have submitted my dxdiag report, and included screen shots.
While not having the terrain features allows me to see through the missing items, I also get hung up on things I cannot see. I have, to date, sat out every match because of this. Any suggestions on how to remedy this would be appreciated.
Below are screen shots of what I see from my cockpit. Team mates in training sessions do not see this from their client.

First is supposed to be an antenna on canyon network.
Second should be the railway bridge.
Third is the Crimson Strait Dock
http://imgur.com/2b6PWPY
http://imgur.com/FTQHSDz
http://imgur.com/fMBDuVw

Edited by Ebon Grimalkin, 19 June 2016 - 11:11 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users