31 replies to this topic

#1 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

Before someone says "don't bring them," or "bring (JR7-IIC, IFR-D, ACH, etc) instead," or "don't play scouting mode," or even "uninstall," that's not the point.

I get all those stances. I do. Honest. (Though I'm not a fan of "uninstall." We need more players, sticking around longer, not fewer leaving faster)

This question is for the scenario where someone says "I don't have/can't afford those mechs yet." They're detemined to drop in scouting (Clan side), their teammates are dropping scouting, or they want to participate in some event or another that requires scouting drops (remember, it's been done).

So, if someone needs to make the best of it, and what they have is Adders, and/or Kit Foxes, what then? How do they make the best of it in terms of builds/tactics/strats?

Please remember, I understand that they lack both the speed and tankiness, in a mode where one is sorely needed to make up for the lack of the other. Again, not the point.

Someone's gonna bring them, regardless of warnings and admonitions. How do they make the best of it?

Extra credit: what about Mist Lynxes, or Shadow Cats ? (somebody's gonna, ... >.<, and I do see the SHC sometimes) I'm not sure I'm bold enough to attempt it, as they're even lacking raw firepower in the short-to-mid range, compounding the lack of both speed and armor.

How about it? SRMs, Skill™, wubs, how can folks make the best of these chassis for Clan scouting drops in a pinch, even when it's not recommended?

(Edits for clarity)

Edited by Virlutris, 07 June 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Well, pulse lasers and SRMs are the best answers, as per usual, but you can also make a decent Streak-24 ADR (seen in light decks in comp).

Here's my sleeper pick though: SmashFox. If you look at the quirks, those are really focused SRMs. I one-shot a couple lights while playing this one during mastery level (not agile enough until elited). Surprisingly decent if you're good with SRMs.

#3 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostTercieI, on 07 June 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

Well, pulse lasers and SRMs are the best answers, as per usual, but you can also make a decent Streak-24 ADR (seen in light decks in comp).

Here's my sleeper pick though: SmashFox. If you look at the quirks, those are really focused SRMs. I one-shot a couple lights while playing this one during mastery level (not agile enough until elited). Surprisingly decent if you're good with SRMs.

I've run that Adder. I call it the "Rat Hunter."

And I also recognize that Kit Fox. Besides the fact that it's popular in its own right anyway, I recall getting my face smashed in by that build during pre-MCW scrims against Clan Kodiak. I had one built out immediately after our last drop. Smash Kit: It's not just for fun and profit.

Edited by Virlutris, 07 June 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

I like :)

I have to take away my ECM and I feel weird without a gun but it is worth a try!

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 07 June 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

I like :)

Me too. Ammo's tight. Make your shots count. :)

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostTercieI, on 07 June 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Me too. Ammo's tight. Make your shots count. Posted Image

Yep, and you got 8 tons of it. I can only do 4 and 1/2.....Things like this make me even a little more crazy, lol

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

Yep, and you got 8 tons of it. I can only do 4 and 1/2.....Things like this make me even a little more crazy, lol

Only 4, just in half tons. Can get to 4.5 with armor cheating on head.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostTercieI, on 07 June 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

Only 4, just in half tons. Can get to 4.5 with armor cheating on head.

Thanks, that just hit me, lol. And you wanted the one jump jet. Which makes me ask two questions. Which sound dumb.
Having one jump jet on one side does not make you spin. And I guess you spread the ammo out in case of damage.

P.S. One other thanks for reminding me that I even had those omnipod arms, lol. I forgot them.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 07 June 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Thanks, that just hit me, lol. And you wanted the one jump jet. Which makes me ask two questions. Which sound dumb.
Having one jump jet on one side does not make you spin. And I guess you spread the ammo out in case of damage.

P.S. One other thanks for reminding me that I even had those omnipod arms, lol. I forgot them.

JJ location doesn't matter. Kinda too bad. Twirling jumping KFX sounds hilarious.

Yeah, I spread ammo into half tons normally to crit pad. Because while ammo explosions can be nasty, there's actually a very low chance of one even when the ammo is hit and it's better to lose ammo than guns. I admit I haven't really thought about the ammo placement much in that build, just sortof threw it in.

#10 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

My Preferences for clanners in scouting are
1. IFR-D
2. SCR
3. JR7IIC either 6 missile or 6 energy variant, personal preference
4. ACH
5. Trial ACH
6. Anything Else

Looking at those anything elses
Mist Lynx
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4496f0b7a09a690[/smurfy]

Kit Fox
As posted above or [smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c25057c5030a62[/smurfy]

Adder
As posted Above or
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c1fc7b80658381a

Edited by Stormie, 09 June 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#11 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

View PostStormie, on 08 June 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

My Preferences for clanners in scouting are
1. IFR-D
2. SCR
3. JR7IIC either 6 missile or 6 energy variant, personal preference
4. ACH
5. Trial ACH
6. Anything Else

Looking at those anything elses
Mist Lynx
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4496f0b7a09a690[/smurfy]

Kit Fox
As posted above or [smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c25057c5030a62[/smurfy]

Adder
As posted Above or
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c25057c5030a62[/smurfy]

Oops! Your Adder link is the same as your Kit Fox link.

While I'm sure you can bring the same loadout on the Adder, I don't think you meant to copy quite that closely ;)

#12 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

Give the Kit Fox some love! I've renamed the one with AMS Overload "The Iron Dome", lol. (I shoot down LRMs for tips)

I already have to read post after post about how to defeat my Stormcrows!

I want to ask if a Mech's speed has anything to do with it;s jump jets but I just need to admit the ones on the Kit Fox suck....

But I do have the Viper coming which is maybe the main reason I have not switched to an ACH etc. And I found that taking the PPC off of my Kit Foxes is keeping them alive longer.

The New England Patriots motto is "do your damn job". I'm trying to learn that and to not run after or "try to save" someone else.

#13 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

Especially in mid-speed ClanTech lights, that's good advice.

The way to being a hero in the Adder or Kit Fix is by sticking with or near the team, shooting the other guys while they shoot your buddies because they're scarier, and not taking yolo-ranger style risks.

At the end of match, you've got a bunch of stats, and folks are wondering why someone let that guy in th ADR/KFX do all that work. It's incredibly satisfying :D

I'm wondering about the Vipers too. Looking forward to seeing how they play in-game.

Edited by Virlutris, 08 June 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#14 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

The Mist Lynx, in my opinion, is a severely underrated mech. It has builds that allow for short range, mid range, and long range combat, all while running at a comfortable speed (not too slow, like the Kit Fox and Adder, not too fast like the Jenner and the Cheetah). The ERPPC Sniper Lynx, while hilariously fun in most modes, sadly is not suited to this mode, although you can make it work on maps like Tourmaline and Polar LRMlands. The SRM + SPL build is great for short range, but I feel that it does better on a Cheetah. The stock D loadout, however, can turn some heads due to it's all range capablilities and fairly consistent damage output. The build works equally well with a UAC 2 or an LB2X AC.

#15 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

I'm not sure I'd recommend a ranged Lynx of any kind in Scouting mode though. Something short-range and punchy seems like the right recipe.

Yes, even though the Cheetah does it better, if someone is stuck in a way that they can't use a Cheetah (let's say the Trials get updated), then what could soembody do with that Lynx they have in the garage to complete an event?

I certainly wouldn't recommend a UAC2 or LB2 build. Even the maybe 300 points of potential damage would take a lot of work to dish out in a full Quick Play match. I'm not really sure it'd successfully realize all that potential though.

It's gonna need the ability to dish out a lot of pain quickly to a particular component, which is hard enough in a Lynx due to limited tonnage and hardpoint availability. The 2-class ballistics don't do that. They turn heads by noisily spreading plinky damage accross the mech.

Now, does that sound hilarious, in that let's-see-what-happens-when-I-run-this-ridiculously-underpowered-build kind of way? You bet :D Run it in scouting? Nuuuuuuuuu.

Missiles and/or lasers, I think. Even if the Cheetah does it better, the point is that they're the best way to run it (the Lynx, that is) in Scouting if it were your only option.

Edited by Virlutris, 08 June 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#16 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:46 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 08 June 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Oops! Your Adder link is the same as your Kit Fox link.

While I'm sure you can bring the same loadout on the Adder, I don't think you meant to copy quite that closely Posted Image

Yep, my bad
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c1fc7b80658381a

#17 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:18 AM

It seems like now would be the time to try sub-optimal and non meta designs in scouting.

The player population is particularly low for scouting these days. Mostly free lance pugs piloting trial mechs.

#18 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

Here's my sleeper pick though: SmashFox.

Thats actually a great mech, just not for scouting. I've elited my first KitFox with that build the first day they came out for c-bills. It is used best like a sacrificial 30t lamb that can cripple or even take out an enemy assault. All you really need to do is two alphas before you are heavily focused down and 3-4 in total. Gotta be aggressive and die early tho as you don't have ammo anyway.

The only really viable ~100 kph clan lights for scouting are streak boats tho.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 09 June 2016 - 04:23 AM.

#19 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 08 June 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Especially in mid-speed ClanTech lights, that's good advice. The way to being a hero in the Adder or Kit Fix is by sticking with or near the team, shooting the other guys while they shoot your buddies because they're scarier, and not taking yolo-ranger style risks. At the end of match, you've got a bunch of stats, and folks are wondering why someone let that guy in th ADR/KFX do all that work. It's incredibly satisfying :D I'm wondering about the Vipers too. Looking forward to seeing how they play in-game.

This is my future role in this game.

My eye exam came down to the old "you should feel lucky that you can see at all, a lot of people who went through this can't" which reminded me of "your lucky you can walk with a walker, some can't walk at all" speech from years before.

Sooo, a man needs to know his limitations. And not live in the past. I'm never going to be a damage dealer. So, I'm a support Mech.

I state at the beginning of QP matches that I have three AMS, The AMS Overload Module and 3 tons of AMS ammo and ECM. You lights go do your "lights thing" and I will guard the Heavys. Then I start getting, the "please stay with me" requests etc.

Yesterday a Kodiak pilot said to everyone "Hey, please wait, I can only go 42 KPH" so I ran back to cover him till he reached the battle. I even chased off one light who came sniffing around. I asked him "did you put a standard engine in that?" And he said yes, it was the only way he could fit in 3 gauss cannons. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that it would be better for him to have only two gauss rifles and be in the fight than to have 3 and to be 2500m back, lol.

I run with only short-range weapons but I have the Zoom Lens with the Radar Deprivation. The Lens is just so I can see downrange to see what is going on or coming. I stay with the Heavys/Assaults until I'm down to less than 25% of my AMS ammo then I start looking to do what I call "earning my pay". I start looking to add on to a fight already going on.

My weapons are too small and my armor is too light to stand next to my teammate so I try to get behind the Mech he is fighting to make him turn. My Kit Fox is not fast, nimble and does not have jump jets. And I found that trying to go around to come fro behind does not work because I often get seen by someone else. So I'm practicing running at the enemy but to the side, keep the firing lane open. They will often start backing up so I come to their side and start firing my flamer, 2 SPL and 4 MGs. And then I try to get behind them so they either have to swing to me and get shot by my teammate or stay on him and get shot by me in the back.

In the more open maps, my Anti-LRM powers work best. I do not do a lot of damage, I protect my teammates from damage.

I found a niche.

#20 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

ADR-PRIMEPosted Image

Works wonders, if you figure out how to use it right

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users