Introducing The Catapult 'Butterbee' Hero Mech!

207 replies to this topic

#121 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:38 AM

View PostBanditB17, on 10 June 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

I am sure they will be releasing a video showing all of the changes soon.

Hope this thing shows up in the MWC client. I can see this being a fun little edition.

#122 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:41 AM

View PostOdanan, on 11 June 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

The new Nova is also very small. (they showed some pictures a while ago)

If they are using an automated process, I suppose every mech will change in some way.

Agreed. I also do not expect a full 3D remodelling for each mech in the game. Probabily the Catapult received the maximum attentions (and that's the reason they released a new hero for this class), but:
1) since they standardized the tonnage to the volume of the mech, the Cat is an example for the proportions that we will probabily see for 55-65 tons mechs.
2) there were other mechs that required a new model (at least a remodelling of some parts) because a simple rescaling did non work, like the Direwolf and I am curious the see that ones.

View PostThomasso, on 11 June 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

Yup. I'm with you. First this mech was to big and now it's ridiculously small. From one extreme to the other.

But in this case every 60 tons mechs will have, very roughly, the same size, so it's not only limited to the Catapult.

#123 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:46 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 11 June 2016 - 03:41 AM, said:

-snip-
But in this case every 60 tons mechs will have, very roughly, the same size, so it's not only limited to the Catapult.

As mechs have different shapes, legs, etc I have to say that I do not expect every 60 ton mech to be similar in size to the Catapult.

#124 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:03 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 11 June 2016 - 03:46 AM, said:

As mechs have different shapes, legs, etc I have to say that I do not expect every 60 ton mech to be similar in size to the Catapult.

Take into account slightly lower posture with the new model. There is a size comparison of a Dragon on Russ' twitter, not dramatically smaller than the old scale, but still noticable. Wonder what will happen with MDD though. Size of a TBR definetely not appropriate for it.

Edited by AngrySpartan, 11 June 2016 - 04:06 AM.

#125 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostAngrySpartan, on 11 June 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

There is a size comparison of a Dragon on Russ' twitter, not dramatically smaller than the old scale, but still noticable. Wonder what will happen with MDD though. Size of a TBR definetely not appropriate for it.

Heck, what about the ARC, which seems like a contemporary to the MDD? :huh:

~D. V. "Question hanging in the air..." Devnull

(p.s.: BTW, if PGI wants people to spend a lot more, they'll unscrew the FW Contracts.)

#126 Radakash

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:24 AM

That Butterbee looks good, guess only the name blows, congrats to all those who will get it.

#127 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

[color=#000000]Freely adapted from Charles F. Kane: If the mechs are small enough, it makes the maps large enough[/color]

[color=#000000]Hey, wanna buy a mech pack? Or a Hero Mech?[/color]

#128 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostRadakash, on 11 June 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

That Butterbee looks good, guess only the name blows, congrats to all those who will get it.

Unlike many other hero mechs, Butterbee is lore, in both name and base config (as far as I can tell from sarna).

So you can opine that the name blows, but there is a legit reason for it, and it ain't PGI's fault.

#129 Notorious Meerkat

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostAngrySpartan, on 11 June 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

Take into account slightly lower posture with the new model. There is a size comparison of a Dragon on Russ' twitter, not dramatically smaller than the old scale, but still noticable.

Ayep, here it is.

Edited by Notorious Meerkat, 11 June 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#130 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:08 AM

View PostThomasso, on 11 June 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

Yup. I'm with you. First this mech was to big and now it's ridiculously small. From one extreme to the other.
Relative to what? The whole point to the rescale is that it'll be - everything will be - the right overall size for its tonnage.

It's going to be shorter than most (and it's supposed to be) because it's a blocky mech, and they also lowered it's stance (look at the legs in the side profile ). Note that the Catapult is supposed to be squat in stance, so this is a change that should happen.

But it'll be exactly the same volume as every other 65t mech. So, obviously, not "too small."

Edited by Wintersdark, 11 June 2016 - 05:22 AM.

#131 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:11 AM

View PostOdanan, on 11 June 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

The new Nova is also very small. (they showed some pictures a while ago)

If they are using an automated process, I suppose every mech will change in some way.
Yeah, it's (at least initially) an automated process, and virtually every mech is changing, but there are some the correct size, and some that are changing just a tiny little bit.

However, remember the Nova pics - there's some that are changing a heck of a lot.

Only a couple mechs got full remodels like the Catapult. Apparently the Awesome did too; I'm very eager to see what it looks like!

#132 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostW E N D I G O, on 11 June 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

Yeah, right...
Sorry, 65t. But yeah. Automated process, mechs moving to a consistent volume. The nature of the process ensures the mechs will all be the right size - it's not just modelers randomly rescaling mechs to the size they (or forum dwellers) think they should be. Mathematical processes are the easiest to ensure consistency with.

People complaining it's "too small" or "too large" now just highlight the importance of scaling them via volume and mass. Subjective opinions vary wildly.

Edited by Wintersdark, 11 June 2016 - 05:25 AM.

#133 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:36 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 11 June 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

Heck, what about the ARC, which seems like a contemporary to the MDD? Posted Image

As far as I am aware mechs released after PGI did their math for the rescale will not be affected (was mentioned by Russ on twitter I think). KDK and ARC should stay the same, maybe WHM too, which isn't bad.

ARC is quite compact for 70t IMHO, just compare it to Cataphract! Fact that it is similar to the MDD doesn't mean it should be the same size as a 60t mech. Let's wait for the new pics anyway.

Edited by AngrySpartan, 11 June 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#134 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:36 AM

View PostW E N D I G O, on 11 June 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

I disagree. Math is abstract and although it's overall a good approach, it doesn't take density into account, just volume. So rest assured it's not optimal and I'm sure there will be a plenty amount of opportunities to ... discuss the result.
disagree all you want. Density is useless, because mechs are made of magic space materials.

But now, we can say that mechs use comparable construction techniques and the same magic space materials because, oh look, now they all have the same density! Isn't that convenient!

People will *****, no doubt. People complained when PGI gave them free mechs, they'll complain about anything.

But now, a 65t mech - all 65t mechs - will be 65t mech sized.

#135 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:47 AM

View PostW E N D I G O, on 11 June 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

You are probably the only insider who has already seen all rescaled Mechs to draw conclusions already.

My fault. I'm sorry.
I don't need to.

The process is simple. All mechs are being scaled to have the same density. That's it. Some are getting a remodel, like this catapult, but even then they're being scaled the same.

So, given all mechs have measurable volume and mass, and as of the rescale have the same density, they're all essentially garaunteed to be correct.

It's finally something that PGI can't do wrong. Nobody's opinions on how things should be are involved. Mechs aren't bigger or smaller based on subjective opinions on current balance.

#136 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:55 AM

After the new scale model, humanoid mechs are going to have a larger front silhouette then "spherical shaped" mechs.

Mechs that are more "flat" (e.g. Awesome) need to be higher and broader than mechs that have some depth (e.g. Stalker, Timberwolf) to amount the same volume.

Edited by xe N on, 11 June 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#137 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

New catapult looks great n.n I am really curious what my Founder's Catapult is gonna look like though... I hope it kept it's rough and tumbled kind of look, I'd hate for it to look shiny and new :P

#138 Daak Gelrin

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

Finally, the CAT is back! My first mastered mech. Love the new model, and of course, I gotta get the BB. (CAT Loyalist)

#139 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

View Postxe N on, on 11 June 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

After the new scale model, humanoid mechs are going to have a larger front silhouette then "spherical shaped" mechs.

Mechs that are more "flat" (e.g. Awesome) need to be higher and broader than mechs that have some depth (e.g. Stalker, Timberwolf) to amount the same volume.
Yup. On the other hand, they'll have smaller side profiles. Humanoids get smaller profiles when the twisting, while longer mechs can get bigger, and tend to expose a large area of one hitbox.

Note that not all scales are 1:1:1. Some mechs are being scaled to different ratios to prevent silly results (exceptionally tall mechs, etc)

#140 Daak Gelrin

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

I'm interested in seeing more of the rescales. Especially some favorites like the shadowhawk. Lookin good so far, in my opinion.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users