Does This Community Really Want An Energy Draw Feature?

819 replies to this topic

#201 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 June 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

What's your beef with consumables?

They should be like the rest of the modules rather than something you have to refill after use. I don't like the idea of c-bill sinks like that (I'm still peeved it costs me c-bills every time I switch between Ferro and Standard), what can I say.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 14 June 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#202 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

lol ... if you poop in one hand and wish PGI programs something awesome in the other. Guess which one fills up first?

#203 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 14 June 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Gauss is at 90% chance of explosion in MWO, ammo is much less at 10% (thank god) last I knew.

That is the problem with partial quotes. You missed the part where I said part of the problem is also the altered structure values.

Gauss and Ammo explosions were things to fear in TT. Not only because of potential/likely death but also because of repair and rearm. MWO reduced that, which I agree with but they went to far.

Maybe gauss really does explode 90% of the time. If so I have been very lucky.

#204 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Im pretty sure "this community" want to try this Energy Draw and leave ghost heat behind. And if it's going to make mech with more diverse hardpoint nicer rather than a reminder that boating is always flat out better then alls the better.

I personally can't wait to see it but am afraid of the test live feedback.

PGI should make a fuss of it and send emails with "Come see the NEW AND IMPROVE HEAT MANAGEMENT!".

#205 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostCementi, on 14 June 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

That is the problem with partial quotes. You missed the part where I said part of the problem is also the altered structure values.

That really wasn't the point of the partial quote, the whole thing was to simply point out the probabilities for explosions on both. Gauss blows up a lot for most people.

#206 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

It's just ghost heat, but saddling all weapons instead of single/paired weapon types...

An innovative twist on a wildly successful and great feature.

#207 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 14 June 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

Its comments like this that worry me a lot.

Why?

#208 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 14 June 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Im pretty sure "this community" want to try this Energy Draw and leave ghost heat behind. And if it's going to make mech with more diverse hardpoint nicer rather than a reminder that boating is always flat out better then alls the better.

I personally can't wait to see it but am afraid of the test live feedback.

PGI should make a fuss of it and send emails with "Come see the NEW AND IMPROVE HEAT MANAGEMENT!".

Why do you think it will promote diverse hardpoint layout? Mechs in the game now can typically mix two different types of hardpoints to great efficacy. Ballistic and energy, energy and missiles, ballistics and missiles are all very strong BUT typically what ends up happening is trying to mix in a third type of hardpoint is not as good as getting more DHS and more ammo.

And seriously, what PGI currently has in mind is going to do NOTHING to dissuade the boating of ballistics, which typically don't require large alpha strikes to be top-tier.

#209 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

Define "diverse loadouts".

Every single time I see a random LRM5 appear on a mech, I feel like typing into chat "/facepalm build" or something like that, seeing how that mech tends to get crushed outright to even a more efficient missile boat.

There's a reason why "jack of all trades builds" are not a thing in MWO. They really do nothing well, and consequently suffer the most as a result. Even the most classic of Atlas D-DC builds have 3 weapon types for a short range brawl... because trying to snipe or LRM with it is a lost cause (not that you can't do damage, you're just a paperweight vs good teams).

#210 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 14 June 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

Why?

Because, this isn't a fighting game nor is it built remotely like one.

View PostDeathlike, on 14 June 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

There's a reason why "jack of all trades builds" are not a thing in MWO. They really do nothing well, and consequently suffer the most as a result. Even the most classic of Atlas D-DC builds have 3 weapon types for a short range brawl... because trying to snipe or LRM with it is a lost cause (not that you can't do damage, you're just a paperweight vs good teams).

To basically further this point home, jack of all trades mechs sacrifice too much capability to pull off this role. To be remotely useful, they have to sacrifice very little in efficiency (like having 75-80% the specialized firepower at the range brackets).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 14 June 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#211 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

Anything they do will not be overwhelmingly welcomed by the community. Its just the nature of the beast. Frankly I think they need to give a real try. Not just some test server testing. Some people didn't even try the laser lock mechanic on the last test. Insisting they didn't need to and that it was bad. That is the level of pretentiousness people have. To where they don't even feel they need to test a feature to bemoan it.

#212 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

I'm excited to try a new system that, hypothetically, encourages different builds, but I can't say I'm optimistic a power draw-like system will be an improvement.

#213 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 June 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

And seriously, what PGI currently has in mind is going to do NOTHING to dissuade the boating of ballistics, which typically don't require large alpha strikes to be top-tier.

Why do you single out ballistic? of all the weapon being "boated", ballistic is the least of my problem because 3 mech can do it and they arent making the other mech of the same class obsolete, they have strong deficiencies. Where light/meds srms and heavy lasers boaters pretty much obsolete every other mech of the same class. It's really dumb that the easiest way to play is also the best.

#214 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Does the OP really think that PGI gives a **** what the community wants?

Posted Image

#215 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 14 June 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

Does the OP really think that PGI gives a **** what the community wants?

Posted Image

Only if you buy a mechpack! (Requests taken, because... "please buy a mechpack")

#216 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 14 June 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Bad Gas (lol), bad!

Don't suggest more consumables, they are still dumb Posted Image

I disagree. Smoke shells would be awesome.

#217 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostMystere, on 14 June 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

I disagree. Smoke shells would be awesome.

Maybe as a perma-module, but not a consumable.

#218 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 14 June 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Why? That's extra state/data that isn't necessary.

I don't get what your point is because HSR already needs to check the position of your target, unless you're thinking about locking an enemy and then firing at a different target, but you only need to track the position of the target you're firing at.

More like anytime during that HSR threshold, but your example is a perfect case for why that is actually important. Remember, there is always a disconnect between what you see and what the server sees, so situations like that would be a problem for snapshots near the time you locked a target.

A) It would only be a problem for lasers.

B) I don't see how checking for a continuous target lock would take much resources at all. If the argument against even a small increase in network resources is "PGI's servers are too **** so we can't improve the game drastically with this balancing feature" then I'm not convinced.

Edited by Pjwned, 14 June 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#219 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostPjwned, on 14 June 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

I don't get what your point is because HSR already needs to check the position of your target

No, it needs to know the position of your LOCKED target so it knows what distance the shot should converge on.

A) It would only be a problem for lasers.

Depends on how target locks and shots are handled.

B) I don't see how checking for a continuous target lock would take much resources at all.

Because it adds extra computations, when the servers already have trouble with a tick rate of 30.

#220 Inti Raymi

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 13 June 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Several well known players have been selling the idea of energy draw in one form or another. It has been a widely discussed topic.. ..it will deal with boating and TTK in a much more efficient and better way than 'ghost heat'.

Optimist.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users