Does This Community Really Want An Energy Draw Feature?

819 replies to this topic

#801 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

I'm still in the crowd that wants a smaller maximum heat threshold, with increasing movement, hud, and jamming penalties the higher your heat is. None of the spooky heat or spooky energy.

#802 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

I really want to know more about it.

But that's just me and my silly old-school thinking I suppose.

#803 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostFunkin Disher, on 14 August 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

I really want to know more about it.

But that's just me and my silly old-school thinking I suppose.

The details that we will learn in time will only change the degree of suck that comes with it. The premise of "lets limit alphas to 30 damage" alone is enough for me to say "that's going to **** balance".

#804 Fester Wan Kenobi

• Pip
  • Corporal
  • Corporal
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

My take is kind of different. Get rid of ghost heat, the concept is just beyond my ability to grasp on making the game balanced. If you want balanced keep the cooldown rate on all weapons at 5 just like the gauss. Actually use the heat produced by the weapons fired to be placed on the heat scale and let the installed heat sinks dissipate the appropriate amount of heat over the cooldown period. Imagine that, letting the cooling system on the mech do its job. Also by having all weapons cooldown rates be the same you don't have an ac5 doing the same damage output as a gauss rifle in the same time. Cooldown on the ac5 is 1.66 X 3= 4.98 Gauss is 5. 5X3 =15 1X15 =15. The recycle time could also be increased to 10 for all weapons giving the mechs more time to cool down. This will also make pilots take time to line up their shots. This concept has been used in games such as MechWarrior 2 , MechWarrior 3, MechWarrior 4, Battletech tabletop. But I digress. I have been playing this game for 2 years and I understand that they have to sell mechs to pay their employees salaries but at least fix the basic problems before creating new ones.

#805 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Energy draw is a significant improvement on what we have now. I want it.

#806 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostFunkmaster Rick, on 20 August 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Not sure I agree. Tested on and off with a variety of weapon combos. On the one hand the lower heat values and thresholds of the current PTS makes a lot of builds run cooler than in the regular game. When ED is added to those having 30 damage alphas (lights, some mediums, some heavies) the total play effect is that those mechs perform better on the current PTS.

Even those with higher alphas though for the most part play better as well. Can still do massive damage with a meta Bllaackk Knight build, just gotta stagger the LPLs and the ML. You did that already in the regular game through the vast majority of the game. So here too, you your mechs are going to perform as good, or even better in the PTS given the lower default heat setting.

Then there is the little issue with Gauss. A Gauss on one button and 2-3ppcs on another, gives a potential 45 pin point damage with no negative heat or energy draw consequence as long as the clicks are .5 seconds apart. Go play the PTS...this is what most people are running (hey guys! idea is to test a variety of things, not just club seals with a loop hole, ok?).

The result of the above is no real difference in Alpha strikes, but a potential decrease in TTK. I don't think that is a goal of energy draw.

As to negative performance impact of energy draw: Assaults, LRM boats, and SRM boats.

First Assaults: if an Atlas cant fire 3SRM6s and an AC20 repeatedly then there is not much point to playing it: Fire off AC20, twist, fire off 2 SRMs, twist, fire off 1 SRM, twist...really? Mixed, and low number hardpoint Assaults like the Atlas, Victor, Highlander, etc. are really hurt by this system.

Same with LRMs and SRMs. A Catapult A1 with 6 srm-4 or 6. Chain fire groups of 2? Yuck. It was a tough mech to play before, but with that as a requirement, it is useless. Your Archer with a bunch of LRM5s? Gotta chain fire, since group fire won't be much of an option. Once folks figure that out, AMS isn't just a good defensive measure, it is a defacto eliminator of LRM5 boats.

All in all I think Energy Draw has potential, but in its current form it is most certainly NOT a "significant improvement" over what we currently have.

#807 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 August 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Not sure I agree. Tested on and off with a variety of weapon combos. On the one hand the lower heat values and thresholds of the current PTS makes a lot of builds run cooler than in the regular game. When ED is added to those having 30 damage alphas (lights, some mediums, some heavies) the total play effect is that those mechs perform better on the current PTS.

Even those with higher alphas though for the most part play better as well. Can still do massive damage with a meta Bllaackk Knight build, just gotta stagger the LPLs and the ML. You did that already in the regular game through the vast majority of the game. So here too, you your mechs are going to perform as good, or even better in the PTS given the lower default heat setting.

Then there is the little issue with Gauss. A Gauss on one button and 2-3ppcs on another, gives a potential 45 pin point damage with no negative heat or energy draw consequence as long as the clicks are .5 seconds apart. Go play the PTS...this is what most people are running (hey guys! idea is to test a variety of things, not just club seals with a loop hole, ok?).

The result of the above is no real difference in Alpha strikes, but a potential decrease in TTK. I don't think that is a goal of energy draw.

As to negative performance impact of energy draw: Assaults, LRM boats, and SRM boats.

First Assaults: if an Atlas cant fire 3SRM6s and an AC20 repeatedly then there is not much point to playing it: Fire off AC20, twist, fire off 2 SRMs, twist, fire off 1 SRM, twist...really? Mixed, and low number hardpoint Assaults like the Atlas, Victor, Highlander, etc. are really hurt by this system.

Same with LRMs and SRMs. A Catapult A1 with 6 srm-4 or 6. Chain fire groups of 2? Yuck. It was a tough mech to play before, but with that as a requirement, it is useless. Your Archer with a bunch of LRM5s? Gotta chain fire, since group fire won't be much of an option. Once folks figure that out, AMS isn't just a good defensive measure, it is a defacto eliminator of LRM5 boats.

All in all I think Energy Draw has potential, but in its current form it is most certainly NOT a "significant improvement" over what we currently have.

yep.

1 thing though 30 is fine for assaults with the minor heat penalty. Better if it goes down from 30 for lighter weights than jacking the heat penalty.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 August 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#808 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostFunkmaster Rick, on 20 August 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Yeah, did you test it?

Less variety and more boating than on the live server. Are you sure you actually played the PTS?

#809 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 August 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yeah, did you test it?

Less variety and more boating than on the live server. Are you sure you actually played the PTS?

Who knows if he did. I sure don't know.

Anyhow, we have yet to see if PGI takes any action on adjusting it afterwards.

#810 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 August 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yeah, did you test it?

While I don't care for the homogeneity, I love that I can now use triple PPC. It was always stupid that you couldn't, given LPL can stack 3 deep despite being de facto FLD.

#811 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 August 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

While I don't care for the homogeneity, I love that I can now use triple PPC. It was always stupid that you couldn't, given LPL can stack 3 deep despite being de facto FLD.

Lasers are not Front Loaded Damage.. PPCs / IS ACs / Gauss are Front Loaded Damage.

#812 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 August 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

While I don't care for the homogeneity, I love that I can now use triple PPC.

Honestly they could just redo some of the limits and penalties of ghost heat 1.0 and I would be ok.

#813 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 August 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

Honestly they could just redo some of the limits and penalties of ghost heat 1.0 and I would be ok.

I have said this a few times on this topic lately because it has only recently come to light. Heat cant do what power draw can do because shutting down all match isn't cool. Just upping heat penalty and shutting everyone down just wont work in a real time multi player sim.

Energy draw can do all the thing that heat can do, but better and leaves room for new additions, meanwhile leaving heat shutdown in tact.

Heat is cool but making it brutal to add things like mech slow down or truly limiting super high alphas just wouldn't work.

Power draw was to complicated for a table top game is why it wasn't included. Heat meanwhile is an excellent mechanic for the simulation and shutting down adds risk to game play so its all good to.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 August 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#814 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 August 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

B-b-b-but what about a Triple ER PPC, Dual Gauss Dire/KDK???

In all honesty they could raise the cLPL/cERLL limit to 3, but somehow tie them together with ER MLs, so you can't fire more than 6 lasers at once or something.

#815 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 August 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

B-b-b-but what about a Triple ER PPC, Dual Gauss Dire/KDK???

In all honesty they could raise the cLPL/cERLL limit to 3, but somehow tie them together with ER MLs, so you can't fire more than 6 lasers at once or something.

I think linking more weapons together would provide more build diversity and would work better, overall.

Allow 3 (IS or C) large class lasers, penalty free.. but treat all medium class lasers as 0.5 of a large laser.

Then, you could run 3LL.. 2LL-2ML.. 1LL-4ML.. 6ML.. all without penalty.

#816 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 20 August 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

I have said this a few times on this topic lately because it has only recently come to light. Heat cant do what power draw can do because shutting down all match isn't cool. Just upping heat penalty and shutting everyone down just wont work in a real time multi player sim.

You realize that is what is going to happen with power draw if certain people get their say on it right? People didn't want energy draw to be less punishing than ghost heat, they wanted it to be more punishing.

#817 DeerslayerUA

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:11 AM

Hell no!

1. Like we need this second bar to watch for.
2. 20 energy in 1 second? - first request would be to split it in 2 energy per 100ms! Rest assured.
3. Why in the world we need that energy draw concept? Why cant PGI count the balance and implement changes, but not add anything new? If there is problem with some setups, which someone think overpowered - just make balance adjustments.
4. RIP brawl, probably.

I would say fixing collisions and buildings would make more players happier. Adding new game types would make it better too. Like adding FP scouting, which is good as first try, but needs changes. FP should be focused more. Menus, overall UI.

#818 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:18 AM

I am all for Energy Draw, and the removal of Ghost Heat. I think ED is a more fair system all round, while Ghost Heat pushes people to break it.

From my testing ED currently runs too cool. I would say increase the heat generated from going beyond the 30 ED points (punish the breach of threshold more).

And also tie amount of ED points you have to the engine value with weight class as a consideration will more Mech Labs more interesting and would allow some interesting trade offs.

The range of the weapon should play a part too in ED values.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 22 August 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#819 DeerslayerUA

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:18 AM

Hell No.
Better think of something new with new balance.

#820 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:28 AM

View PostZveroboyUA, on 27 December 2016 - 05:18 AM, said:

Hell No.
Better think of something new with new balance.

You necroed a thread from August, for that? If you had to hunt for this thread you probably found the others wherein ED was pulled no?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users