#61 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

You know I loves me some Assassin :)

I could usually talk my GM around to alternate configurations even in "stock" games. It says right there in the fluff "modular" systems, so I'd build mission-specific modules I could swap out. Not an Omni by any stretch: for one thing, our games pre-dated Clans by several years (both IRL and game setting), and these modules were built especially for this particular Assassin, Wandering Damage. It took me a few months game-time to design and build a module, and about a day to swap each one.

Primary configuration was similar to your own with the 2x LRM-5s, sharing an ammo bin. Also had a skirmisher build, swapping the SRM-2 and ammo with 2x ML, and a brawler build with 2x SRM-4s. City fighter version had 1x SRM-4 replacing the LRM, the 2x ML module replacing the SRM-2, and a Flamer replacing the arm laser to deal with infantry.

#62 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostSilentSooYun, on 14 June 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

You know I loves me some Assassin Posted Image

I could usually talk my GM around to alternate configurations even in "stock" games. It says right there in the fluff "modular" systems, so I'd build mission-specific modules I could swap out. Not an Omni by any stretch: for one thing, our games pre-dated Clans by several years (both IRL and game setting), and these modules were built especially for this particular Assassin, Wandering Damage. It took me a few months game-time to design and build a module, and about a day to swap each one.

Primary configuration was similar to your own with the 2x LRM-5s, sharing an ammo bin. Also had a skirmisher build, swapping the SRM-2 and ammo with 2x ML, and a brawler build with 2x SRM-4s. City fighter version had 1x SRM-4 replacing the LRM, the 2x ML module replacing the SRM-2, and a Flamer replacing the arm laser to deal with infantry.

Had an "extreme" variant built for a City fighting game too, swapped out both existing missile systems for 2x Hovertec SRM2 with a single ammo bin, (Can't recall if it was rule or how we misread the rules back then, but our GM only allowed Inferno's in SRM2, so it had some versatility over an SRM4) used the 2 tons from dropping the LRM rack to add 2 MG (one per arm) and a ton of ammo (no .5 tons of ammo back in 1987!).

If I recall correctly that one also had 2 damaged JJ we could never quite fix, which meant a dead ton, until we had the time, money and facilities to essentially cap em off and reroute them. Then we used the ton freed up to add a second ML to the RA, over/under style.

Might not seem to impressive in the post clan era, but 7/11/5 movement with 2x ML, 2xSRM2 and 2 MG was solid and versatile. But that was an extreme refit and over a year of campaign play to get to it.

The LRM5 refit my GM allowed as a relatively simple refit over the course of a months transit time on a jumpship.

#63 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

Yes to the Assassin! I'd love a 40t Griffin without giant missile drums. :D

BTW Bishop, does my Nightstar campaign fall outside of your campaign rules/promises?

#64 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 14 June 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

BTW Bishop, does my Nightstar campaign fall outside of your campaign rules/promises?

TBD

#65 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

If nothing else, we need to complete the Introductory Box Set:
Posted Image

I mean, we're only missing the 5 at this point!
Assassin
Dervish
Clint
Whitworth
Hermes

Bring em on. :P

#66 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 June 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

I doubt it would be Meta, but I think it could be quite good in QP. Not great, but more than mediocre, as it should have good profile, great mobility and a decent enough punch. Not expecting it to have Oxide level quirks mind you, but I like the potential.

What was your preferred Build and Tactic with your Assassin?

It's not as though the AI in Mercs was particularly challenging, so most any tactic would have been effective in that game.

One thing I made frequent use of in MW2: Mercs were the directional jump jets. I had a full HOTAS setup I used to use that had an 8 direction pointer on the throttle, and I had that programmed with the various thrust directions. My Assassin was usually a knife fighter... built for close combat... nothing over medium laser range, usually. With 40-tonner speed and directional thrust control, the Assassin definitely lived up to its namesake.

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostOvion, on 14 June 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

If nothing else, we need to complete the Introductory Box Set:
Posted Image

I mean, we're only missing the 5 at this point!
Assassin
Dervish
Clint
Whitworth
Hermes II

Bring em on. Posted Image

FTFY......

though as non purist as it sounds I'd toss out any one of the Hermes II, Clint or Whitworth for the much more (IMO) potentially interesting Vulcan.

#68 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 June 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

TBD

:o

#69 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 14 June 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

I want all the IS 40 tonners actually.

#71 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

Posted Image

FTFY guys!

#72 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

The real reason we need the Assassin:
  • Strip all armor except for the right arm
  • Mount the biggest engine and as many jumpjets as possible
  • One ERPPC in the right arm
  • Begin QUAKEWARRIOR: ONLINE

#73 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 14 June 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

The real reason we need the Assassin:
  • Strip all armor except for the right arm
  • Mount the biggest engine and as many jumpjets as possible
  • One ERPPC in the right arm
  • Begin QUAKEWARRIOR: ONLINE

Largest engine (360xl), MASC, 3 JJ and ERPPC allow for 4 tons of armor still.

#74 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 June 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

Largest engine (360xl), MASC, 3 JJ and ERPPC allow for 4 tons of armor still.

Armor? Pffft. Movement was your armor in Q3A (yes I know there was actually an armor mechanic, but it was pretty useless). No need for armor when you can strap more rocket packs to your now-exoskeletal 'Mech and dodge the hell out of some ERPPCs.

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 14 June 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

I want the Assassin but you're wrong on one thing: JJ mechs tend to lose a hard point. Since the Assassin is a 40 tonner, like the Cicada, you can imagine that you'd be building everything on 5 hard points total. Subtract one for the JJs and you've got a total of 4. You've got things moving in the right direction but you WAY over inflated the weapons.

Nova has like 13 hardpoints, with JJs. Huntmans 8 or more. The arrow, 9. Viper? A buttload.

Phoenix Hawk from 6-8

There is no hard fast "number of hardpoints by tonnage rule".

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 June 2016 - 06:53 AM.

#76 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:42 AM

I've been trying to consider what an Assassin hero mech might be. Since the "Servitor" uses Medium X-Pulse Lasers, and Vibro Blades and such – it's out. But looking that the "Alice," I'm not sure if it can reasonably be done.

Paul Masters' Phoenix Hawk wasn't around until far later in the timeline, and that's what made me think the Alice might be plausible. PGI justified the "Roc" as being a downgraded version of Masters' mech while his father owned it, but it's still based off a variant produced in 3048 (the PXH-3M, although the 3M is not in MW:O).

If we tried to give the "Alice" the same treatment, the lore obstacle is that the ASN-30 wasn't made until the 3060s, I think? That being said, the mech was built almost entirely out of salvaged parts from battlefields. If one were to use it anyway, its hard points wouldn't really be based off of any current model; but we could...
  • downgrade the mech's 4 ER Medium Lasers to non ERs (2 in the right arm, one in each side torso)
  • remove the targeting computer (it's salvaged clan-tech)
  • remove the C3 Slave Computer (not in MW:O)
  • downgrade the Light Engine to a standard model (an XL uses too many crits & leaves too much unused tonnage)
  • keep the Endosteel and Ferro-Fibrous
  • keep the ECM Suite
  • keep the Beagle Active Probe
That gives you a competitor to the Raven in terms of lightweight, technologically advanced mechs. It would be 40.5 tons however. To lose the extra half ton you might be able to cut off a few points of armor. Despite the mech being as lightly armored as it is, with the armor and damage scaling in MW:O PGI might get away with it. Otherwise it could shed one of its 7 jump jets to be legal.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostKasiagora, on 15 June 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

I've been trying to consider what an Assassin hero mech might be. Since the "Servitor" uses Medium X-Pulse Lasers, and Vibro Blades and such – it's out. But looking that the "Alice," I'm not sure if it can reasonably be done.

Paul Masters' Phoenix Hawk wasn't around until far later in the timeline, and that's what made me think the Alice might be plausible. PGI justified the "Roc" as being a downgraded version of Masters' mech while his father owned it, but it's still based off a variant produced in 3048 (the PXH-3M, although the 3M is not in MW:O).

If we tried to give the "Alice" the same treatment, the lore obstacle is that the ASN-30 wasn't made until the 3060s, I think? That being said, the mech was built almost entirely out of salvaged parts from battlefields. If one were to use it anyway, its hard points wouldn't really be based off of any current model; but we could...
  • downgrade the mech's 4 ER Medium Lasers to non ERs (2 in the right arm, one in each side torso)
  • remove the targeting computer (it's salvaged clan-tech)
  • remove the C3 Slave Computer (not in MW:O)
  • downgrade the Light Engine to a standard model (an XL uses too many crits & leaves too much unused tonnage)
  • keep the Endosteel and Ferro-Fibrous
  • keep the ECM Suite
  • keep the Beagle Active Probe
That gives you a competitor to the Raven in terms of lightweight, technologically advanced mechs. It would be 40.5 tons however. To lose the extra half ton you might be able to cut off a few points of armor. Despite the mech being as lightly armored as it is, with the armor and damage scaling in MW:O PGI might get away with it. Otherwise it could shed one of its 7 jump jets to be legal.

Or, they could use one of the notable warriors from the TROs, or make one up like they have done for many other heroes.

for example:
MechWarrior Kryloon Hyperten Kryloon serves in House Kurita´s Galedon Regulars. He received a commendation for his actions in the battle of Wheel. With virtually no ammunition or supplies, Kryloon spent nearly eight months dodging Steiner units. His ´Mech is barely functional and shows signs of impending breakdown. Both leg actuators are shot, and he has replaced his Martell laser with an inferior Forge medium laser.

MechWarrior Dale Sandstrom Dale was assigned to House Marik´s Fifth Regulan Hussars when his Archer was destroyed, relegating him to the ranks of the Dispossessed. For several years, he worked in the infantry until he came across the fresh remains of an Assassin. It took his entire life savings to get it working again. Sandstrom has since become a bounty hunter working free-lance for any state that will hire him. His ´Mech, DarkDeath, is painted grey with black stripes. To date, he has killed an estimated 30 MechWarriors, some in fair combat, and some not. While his family does not consider his work to be honorable, the job does manage to keep him busy.

both from the TRO3025. Since most Heroes have made up armaments, it's easy to go from there.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 June 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#78 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

1: Drink. All of you.
2: I´m with Terciel on the bloody warpath. And yes we would take anything, as long as it tops out at 35 tons, which is the magical barrier below which the true jockeys reside Posted Image Posted Image
Wasp/Stinger? Gimme plz, What? Locust IIC? You wanna get me addicted? Huh? Flea? Well if I can´t get anyting else Posted Image

Ontopic: Well, a 40 ton mech that looks good, not much to say against it really.

Edited by DarthHias, 15 June 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#79 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostTercieI, on 14 June 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

Throw me a bone.

O M GAAAAAAAAD,
why does everytime someone say that this comes to my mind???

WHYYYYY?

#80 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 June 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

pretty sure I made one of these posts way back when..... but with the broken search, can't find it to necro. And yeah, I wanna campaign (mildly) for the ASN.

Difference between this and certain other "campaigns" we saw earlier this year?
1) It's timeline correct
2) I plan to keep my campaigning essentially limited to this thread
3) added art!
Posted Image

is that right arm a weapon or an oversized AMS? Posted Image

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 June 2016 - 08:16 AM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users