The Assassin, Why We Need It 2.0

138 replies to this topic

#81 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 June 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

Or, they could use one of the notable warriors from the TROs, or make one up like they have done for many other heroes.

That's very true, but I chose that mech because I always considered the notable pilots from the technical readouts to be in stock configurations for the most part, and also to have the fun of giving myself limitations to try and work with. :)

#82 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

Alternative Load out for ASN-23 just to mix it up a little more:
ASN-23:
Armament:
RA: 1x Medium Pulse Laser
RT: 1x LRM5 w/Artemis, 1x LRM ammo

Hardpoints:
RA: 3x Energy
RT: 2x Missile
LT: ECM slot

Got a little tired of the mixing just lasers and Missiles thing. Since the 23 has less weapons stock, and is a refit from an era when ECM was rediscovered, seemed liek the obvious candidate to slap it on, as it would also fit the bill for "making it an asset on some missions again" that tbh, the lore 3050 load out does NOT do. But ECM carriers were pretty rare in 3050, so that role for non capellan units (aka no Ravens) would be useful in and of itself.

what do you think?

Also trying to work on an interesting Hero Build... so feel free to suggest some! I was thinking for Dale Sandstrom, a Bounty Hunter, so possibly with some antipersonel armament?

#83 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostKasiagora, on 15 June 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

That's very true, but I chose that mech because I always considered the notable pilots from the technical readouts to be in stock configurations for the most part, and also to have the fun of giving myself limitations to try and work with. Posted Image

I like approaching it with using the limitations of what a lore character could reasonably add. For instance, no stock ASN has Endo, in this time frame, and the cost of designing a custom chassis for such an obsolete mech would be ludicrous, one would be better off buying a whole new mech.

So using the fluff given, what might be modifications that fit that characters mech? For instance, I'm working on making Dale Sandstrom's DarkDeath. As a bounty hunter, I think at least 1 MG makes sense, since he won't always be stalking other mechs. etc. Endo would be out, but no reason it can't have Ferro. Sure people always want the mechs minmaxxed, but sometimes it just doesn't fit.

For example:

ASN-21DD "DarkDeath" (3050 refit)
Posted Image
Max Engine: 390
Hardpoints:
RA: 2x E, 1x B
RT: 1x M
LT: 1x M
LA: 1x B

Admittedly, when I was writing this I forgot Sandstrom died in 3033.
Probably at the Bounty Hunter's hands... so it would be more his "Heir/Mech" if it were to be the Dark Death... which I think would just add flavor. Still would prefer that to dragging a "future" mech into MWO as a Hero.
NOt a minmax champ by any means, but one I feel fits the spirit of the "hero".

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 June 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#84 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:08 AM

sure, we could use another 40 tonner anyway so why not besides i'm almost out of mediums to get, I mean i'm considering getting a kitten-pult now that they're 75% off...of the size they used to be. I mean i only have the t-bolt and jager as heavies- so you know desperation is setting in ;)

#85 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostTanar, on 15 June 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

sure, we could use another 40 tonner anyway so why not besides i'm almost out of mediums to get, I mean i'm considering getting a kitten-pult now that they're 75% off...of the size they used to be. I mean i only have the t-bolt and jager as heavies- so you know desperation is setting in Posted Image

Am very much looking forward to CPLTs, too.

#86 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostRampage, on 14 June 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Where are all the "no over engined, low hardpoints, equals bad" crowd that attacked the Viper and Black Lanner Clan Mechs? Are they afraid to rile the mighty Bishop? Posted Image
I only buy and drive Clan so I have no opinion on the Assassin. I am just surprised that the opposition is so silent based on the TRO stats.

If the Uziel ever makes it into the game then I will buy an IS Mech. I have the same infatuation for it as Bishop has for this Mech and Imperius has for the Mad Cat MKII. Irrational but irresistible.

Battlemech, not an omni-mech... big difference interms of ability for MWO. The Assassin can hit the sweet spot for engine size to tonnage to weapons payload, the Viper is just on the outer edge of that zone, and the Black Lanner didn't just go past that spot, vomiting all over it first. I also said on the first page, that it wasn't anything I had any love for, but I'm not against it, as there are strong options in the medium bracket already.

#87 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 15 June 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Battlemech, not an omni-mech... big difference interms of ability for MWO. The Assassin can hit the sweet spot for engine size to tonnage to weapons payload, the Viper is just on the outer edge of that zone, and the Black Lanner didn't just go past that spot, vomiting all over it first. I also said on the first page, that it wasn't anything I had any love for, but I'm not against it, as there are strong options in the medium bracket already.

Yup. Viper being an "overengined" Omni, will have it's niche, but that is ALL it will do. For the Meta Crowd, that is fine, as the "bleeding edge" build is the only one "that should be used".

But an Overengined Battlemech.... that simply means it has way more options open to it. And can be customized for a number of builds/playstyles. Not Comp FW Fodder perchance though ti often does allow for a Comp Build.... but certainly a lot more fun and interesting for us QuickPlay PUG Noobs.

#88 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 June 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Yup. Viper being an "overengined" Omni, will have it's niche, but that is ALL it will do. For the Meta Crowd, that is fine, as the "bleeding edge" build is the only one "that should be used".

But an Overengined Battlemech.... that simply means it has way more options open to it. And can be customized for a number of builds/playstyles. Not Comp FW Fodder perchance though ti often does allow for a Comp Build.... but certainly a lot more fun and interesting for us QuickPlay PUG Noobs.

Haha, the Assassin would also have an appropriate name for an SRM bomber.

If it got decent quirks, it could easily be a lighter Griffin.

#89 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 15 June 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Haha, the Assassin would also have an appropriate name for an SRM bomber.

If it got decent quirks, it could easily be a lighter Griffin.

biggest thing I would want is nice accel/decel quirks.

#90 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

The Assassin is the IS medium mech I'm looking forward the most to feature in MWO.
It has everything:

- 40 tonner (a tonnage not well explored yet);
- a light/medium IS missile boat (there is none currently, except the Oxide);
- nostalgia factor: it's one of the mechs in the basic TT box;
- fast and with jump jets;
- can look absolutely cool and unique.

For light, I want the classics (Wasp, Stinger and Valkyrie) and the Javelin (which shares a lot of features of the Assassin).

BTW, Bishop, that art in the OP is the best Assassin ever.

#91 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

For a lore nub. Builds are too similar to Jenner ones

#92 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 June 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

FTFY......

though as non purist as it sounds I'd toss out any one of the Hermes II, Clint or Whitworth for the much more (IMO) potentially interesting Vulcan.

why not just add the Vulcan ?

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostCathy, on 15 June 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

why not just add the Vulcan ?

I like the Vulcan, Assassin I like even more. And would be more potentially useful. Ideally, hopefully, we'll get both, some day.

View PostKurbeks, on 15 June 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

For a lore nub. Builds are too similar to Jenner ones

cool story bruh. Yet there are top tier comps who are wanting it too. Seems safe to say you just don't see what it brings.

#94 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostOdanan, on 15 June 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

The Assassin is the IS medium mech I'm looking forward the most to feature in MWO.
It has everything:

- 40 tonner (a tonnage not well explored yet);
- a light/medium IS missile boat (there is none currently, except the Oxide);
- nostalgia factor: it's one of the mechs in the basic TT box;
- fast and with jump jets;
- can look absolutely cool and unique.

For light, I want the classics (Wasp, Stinger and Valkyrie) and the Javelin (which shares a lot of features of the Assassin).

BTW, Bishop, that art in the OP is the best Assassin ever.

IDK...still partial to the one I PM'd you.

#95 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

Do I want it? Yes. Do we need it? Dunno. Not a bad choice, an energy/missile mix at 40 tons would be nice. I guess we need it more than we need a Dervish, and THAT stinks.

Edit, cuz i really really really want a Dervish.

Edited by Frechdachs, 15 June 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#96 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

Why do we need the Assassin?

1 - It's a sweet design, and will be moreso once Alex gets his hands on it.
2 - It was my go-to early-game ride in MW2:Mercs. I pretty much always sold everything and grabbed a Panther for just long enough to earn the cash for an Assassin. I still remember fondly those times I used an Assassin to assassinate targets in an office building, or to take on Mongoose defenders in an icy wasteland...
3 - It has a pretty solid hardpoint mix.
4 - It's about time for another 40t mech, and better the Assassin than something like the Sentinel or the Vulcan.
5 - It'd be a great follow-up to the Javelin, which should be our next mech!

#97 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostFrechdachs, on 15 June 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

Do I want it? Yes. Do we need it? Dunno. Not a bad choice, an energy/missile mix at 40 tons would be nice. I guess we need it more than we need a Dervish, and THAT stinks.

Edit, cuz i really really really want a Dervish.

Posted Image
rumor has it I have a fondness for the Dervish too, but we are really well represented at the 55 ton range, atm.

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 15 June 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

Why do we need the Assassin?

1 - It's a sweet design, and will be moreso once Alex gets his hands on it. (though not possibly as sweet as Bishop's version....)
2 - It was my go-to early-game ride in MW2:Mercs. I pretty much always sold everything and grabbed a Panther for just long enough to earn the cash for an Assassin. I still remember fondly those times I used an Assassin to assassinate targets in an office building, or to take on Mongoose defenders in an icy wasteland...
3 - It has a pretty solid hardpoint mix.
4 - It's about time for another 40t mech, and better the Assassin than something like the Sentinel or the Clint.
5 - It'd be a great lead in to the Javelin, which should follow it! (And then the Vulcan!)

FTFY Posted Image

#98 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

by the title i thought u were talking about a new game mode where each team had 1 guy u had to kill to win

#99 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

Some needs to make a list of wats left out of the TRO 3025's /unseens that are left in an order of most important/best mechs and say what they offer new/different /same as ect. ....just for food to chew on here.

#100 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 June 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

IDK...still partial to the one I PM'd you.

Hey, you told me that Assassin was our personal secret! Don't tell everybody...

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users