rescale

423 replies to this topic

#381 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

Locusts are pretty good. But that's it.

Clan side, Adder is not really a light, but it's the direwhale of lights.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 20 December 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#382 DivBy0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:45 AM

Yes, forgot the Pirates bane... on some maps he is OK. At least he can annoy the enemy :-)

#383 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

LCT-1E is very good and very tonnage efficient for CW. Finally not just a filler, but something that can get work done.

#384 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

View Postvon Haudegen, on 20 December 2016 - 03:11 AM, said:

As Clan you can bring the Artic Cheeter, the Jenner IIC and maybe the purifier.
As IS you better bring no lights at all. They are not worth their weight and only fill up. IMHO

Pretty much all LCTs are worth the time, if you can manage them
the PNT-10K 2PPC build is solid for a mid-long range mech
RVNs are solid
I hear Oxide is still good
Spiders, esp the quad MG build, are good.

The case of the PNT-10K and the Spiders is just that you must play them closer to the group, less flanking out and or even wolf packing. Aside from those, yeah I wouldn't doubt the poor play-ability of any IS light since rescale.

Edited by Blind Baku, 21 December 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#385 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostBlind Baku, on 21 December 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Pretty much all LCTs are worth the time, if you can manage them
the PNT-10K 2PPC build is solid for a mid-long range mech
RVNs are solid
I hear Oxide is still good
Spiders, esp the quad MG build, are good.

The case of the PNT-10K and the Spiders is just that you must play them closer to the group, less flanking out and or even wolf packing. Aside from those, yeah I wouldn't doubt the poor play-ability of any IS light since rescale.

I rarely see any lights anymore. As 'solid' as those lights are, there must be a reason.. maybe cuz you have to be tier 1 to do well in them?

#386 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 21 December 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

I rarely see any lights anymore. As 'solid' as those lights are, there must be a reason.. maybe cuz you have to be tier 1 to do well in them?

Or a part of the "Cult of the light mech"... yeah I usually end up on a light lance that consists of 3 Meds and me. And the Panther is just something that clicks if you 1, don't hate having all your weapons in the one arm, and 2, don't mind boating PPCs. It's a bit of a niche but it can do work.

I was seeing a lot of spiders for a while, esp when I splashed into higher tier matches, I imagine the MG buff only made them more awesome.

Ravens are good at what they do, but never seem super popular (they're kinda tall).

9 times out of 10 if you see an IS light, it is gonna be a Locust.

All that said, I again may have a bias.

Obligatory #Theselightsaretoodamntall

#387 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 21 December 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Not really though I see them rarely.
I see a +1 more, rare moments a whole Lance when I am in a Light but anything else, it is 1-2.

Raven, it is not the height, it is the fact they need XL for speed and have broad side torsos when getting shot from the side.

I have been using my Wolfhound-2 with the CB bonus, 6 MLs. Scoot in, Alpha, scoot out or if I am not noticed, paced fire, 4 torso MLs in Group 1, 2 arm MLs in Group 2.

#388 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

The only light worth playing is the Arctic Cheetah.
There is no IS mech even close to that as they are too big, or have too big sides (and need XL) and most have no ECM.
As a light you really see how much the Clans are above IS.
Hell most IS lights you can easily get rid of before reaching the DWF.

#389 Vladosteron

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:21 AM

While the Rescale did take some Bite of Mechs like the Firestarter, or Jenner, it did not make them fully "unplayable".
I see myself as a Light-pilot mostly and I can't see the big Problem here.
Yes those 35t Machines are quite tall, but also pretty lean, and still very nimble. The only Thing the Rescale changed is the brawling Capabilities of those Mechs - and let's be honest a 35t FS shouldnt be able to outbrawl a 55 ton Griffin/Wolverine.
Light Mechs are Strikers not Brawlers, hit and fade.
And as other Warriors pointed out; there are Chassis that excell at Poking/Sniping.

That leads us to the Question; Is the Cheetah overperforming? I'd hesitate to say so, but it's surely on the right side of the Bell Curve.
PS: You all forget about the Wolfhound, hellova Mech.

#390 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

My Light history reads as such:

I entered the realm of piloting lights as a low Tier (well, high number = low Tier) with the Raven 3L (C). With around 130 kp/h, ERPPC and 2x MPL I could harass from far and dish out reasonably on short range. Didn't make big numbers, but I was able to survive more that once.

I tried some other Lights (Arctic, Commando, etc.) but I really was too bad a pilot to really get the hang of it. Then I took the Wolfhound 1B with 5 MPL and after a certain time I was relatively succesfully and used it almost excusively.

That is until the rescale happened. As said before, my numbers dropped about the same amount the Wolfhound got higher. And I am still convinced that the relevant factor for aiming and hitting a Mech is it’s silouette. And there, height is a dominating feature.

Anyway. I abandoned the Wolfhound pretty much in QP, only to use it as a filler in CW/QP with 2 ERLL and 4 ML.

Today I am using the Spider 5K with 4x MG and a LPL (just for laughs actually and (what surprise) the Locust Pirate’s Bane with ECM, AMS and 4 SPL.

If the confirmation of Russ regarding the Firemoth turns out to be legit, we are looking at a serious contender for the Locust. Look at Kanajashis video about that:

They won’t take the rescale of the „big“ Lights back, but I hope they will widen the base amount of avaliable Lights and close-to-medium Lights especially. Not that they have a gazzillion possibilities there, but there’s still hope ;-)

#391 Vladosteron

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:10 AM

WHAT!!? FIRE MOTH??! WHEN WHAT WHO SOURCE??! Pleas be true, Dear Mech God YES!

sorry.

#392 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

View PostVladosteron, on 22 December 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

WHAT!!? FIRE MOTH??! WHEN WHAT WHO SOURCE??! Pleas be true, Dear Mech God YES!

sorry.

Kanajashi might have really stumbeled onto something here. And it's even on record! :-) 200 kp/h harasser with 4-5t Podspace? Uugah!

Edited by Thomster, 22 December 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#393 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostVladosteron, on 22 December 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

While the Rescale did take some Bite of Mechs like the Firestarter, or Jenner, it did not make them fully "unplayable".
I see myself as a Light-pilot mostly and I can't see the big Problem here.
Yes those 35t Machines are quite tall, but also pretty lean, and still very nimble. The only Thing the Rescale changed is the brawling Capabilities of those Mechs - and let's be honest a 35t FS shouldnt be able to outbrawl a 55 ton Griffin/Wolverine.
Light Mechs are Strikers not Brawlers, hit and fade.
And as other Warriors pointed out; there are Chassis that excel at Poking/Sniping.

That leads us to the Question; Is the Cheetah overperforming? I'd hesitate to say so, but it's surely on the right side of the Bell Curve.
PS: You all forget about the Wolfhound, hellova Mech.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light that can go toe-to-toe and brawl a heavy or assault 1v1.. what a light lacks in armor and firepower it gains in speed/agility (although agility is lacking in most lights atm); what a heavy/assault lacks in speed/agility it gains in armor and firepower. It's a fair and quite expected trade-off. The problem is therefore in the slower mech pilot using bad positioning or the team itself in leaving their slower mechs to trail behind... alone!

1 light against 2 assaults or heavies will likely get rekt in the process of engaging.. against 3 he will be dead or legged quite quickly.

The Ach is fine where it is.. they used to be op, just as most newly released mechs, but they don't scare me anymore. If they engage me, I may or may not die, but it won't out-trade me by much.

TL:DR It's not a problem of lights being op as brawlers, it's about pilot positioning and/or a careless team.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 22 December 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#394 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:29 PM

The Firestarter getting effectively ****-canned was pretty annoying for me, I'm not a fan of humanoid lights being -that fricking big-, but the movement profile was a good one-two-nutpunch on that chassis, a shame, it was the IS equivalent of the ACH (or vice versa, at least... it was). Being shifted to and underarmored fast medium in effect is kinda bleh, and I'm honestly not much of a light fan. I prefer Assaults at the end of the day, and even I feel -bad- at how nastily it affected some light chassis.

While I loved that the Catapult got smaller, along with the Nova and some of the other tweaks (mini-Thud height is kinda funky but makes sense given the overall bulk), it really -is- a bugger for a lot of lights. A humanoid light staring down a heavy is just... really, really weird regardless of a broad sweeping volumetric change; they really should be re-looked at, along with movement profiles; it just doesn't feel like it made an -improvement- overall to the game. I won't go near the Wolfhounds, Panthers (well, the one I kept) or Firestarters right now; if I want to be that beefy, I may as well go up a weight class if not filling tonnage. It -does- make me happy Locusts are extra vicious turds now though, but, ugh, thats a nice chunk of chassis that were worth using being flushed for a lot of folks.

Honestly though (and perhaps I'm weird for it), what really still itches me, is the big ****-fit about the EBJ and it's squat profile being shorter than the old, pre-rescaled Nova, so much so they made it crouch less to placate the whining. Now with the Nova a nice reasonable size... I really, really wish they'd revert that change. Trivial, perhaps, but I really do think the EBJ looked better even with the minor squatting it had on release, and with the Nova being diminutive, I'd like to see it going the classic crouched pose again.

#395 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 22 December 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

TL:DR It's not a problem of lights being op as brawlers, it's about pilot positioning and/or a careless team.

The pre-rescale 5 MPL WLF-1B was an awesome brawler and tanky as fakc. Making it 25% higher really hurt it on that area though. I started to keep a distance with the 2 ERLL/4ML version and sod off whenever $hit hits the fan.

#396 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

I seem to recall the Devs saying the Firemoth would break the engine terribly due to it's sheer speed being above what the game can currently handle a mech traveling and that it would need some serious changes to make such a mech possible

They also said a Similar thing on the Topic of MASC which we do have in this game sooooo it's one of those lets wait and see

#397 Dugra Dugrasson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 139 posts
  • LocationKris Kringle's Resistance Bunker

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostBlind Baku, on 21 December 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

Or a part of the "Cult of the light mech"... yeah I usually end up on a light lance that consists of 3 Meds and me. And the Panther is just something that clicks if you 1, don't hate having all your weapons in the one arm, and 2, don't mind boating PPCs. It's a bit of a niche but it can do work.

By Panther, you mean the Mini-Hunchback, right?

#398 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

View Postvon Haudegen, on 20 December 2016 - 03:11 AM, said:

As Clan you can bring the Artic Cheeter, the Jenner IIC and maybe the purifier.
As IS you better bring no lights at all. They are not worth their weight and only fill up. IMHO

IS has Locusts, which are good in Solo vs potatoes who cant aim. And Spider-Ks. Spiders are larger but they still have decent hitboxes. Still not as choice as the Clan lights.

Jenner-llC are glass cannons.

#399 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

View PostChocowolf, on 23 December 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

I seem to recall the Devs saying the Firemoth would break the engine terribly due to it's sheer speed being above what the game can currently handle a mech traveling and that it would need some serious changes to make such a mech possible

They also said a Similar thing on the Topic of MASC which we do have in this game sooooo it's one of those lets wait and see

There was some talk by Russ Bullock on the topic about introducing IK (inverse kinematic) into the game. Perhaps they found some areas where they could greatly augment the capabilities og the engine in the object-map interaction.

Edited by Thomster, 24 December 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#400 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:39 AM

Still mad about this. Just sayin'

Cheers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users