Heat In Mwo

42 replies to this topic

#1 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

Running Cold: Edition 1.1

Ever wanted to know how heat really works in MWO?

Still think that Tourmaline Desert is the hottest quickplay map? Still think that Heat Containment really boosts your mech's heat capacity by 10%?

No matter your question, it's answered here:
http://steamcommunit...s/?id=686548357

All collaborators and creators of programs like Smurfy's mechlab and such, please contact me if you want access to my enormous excel sheets. I won't be posting them for general public edit but I'll make them available to people who want to verify the data and use it for their own programs.

Edited by smokytehbear, 08 July 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

You put in a LOT of effort there. Good work.

#3 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

Nice work. The map temperatures and the way ghost heat is timed were quite surprising.

Edited by Moldur, 20 June 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#4 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:17 PM

I underestimated how much good information there is in that guide. Wow. Thanks for clarifying so many things, especially in heat capacity and dissipation.

#5 Whiplash Wally

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

Wow, very nice!

#6 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

NIce bit of actual numbers there. Your intro almost made me close the window and not bother though- you come off as a raging neckbeard for the first couple paragraphs. Thankfully it turned into a nice read afterwards.

It's a solid bit of work. It will be worthless in a few patches when they finish their power draw system/ghostheat 2.0. I would be glad if you did a new one at that time, it is nice to have all the numbers at hand. Maybe with less condescension and borderline gloating in the intro though. Not all of us were as clueless as you make it out to be :P

#7 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

I think, this could be stickied here or in the Guides sub-forum. Guide Forum seems most appropriate. Top quality work though, OP.

#8 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostZordicron, on 20 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

NIce bit of actual numbers there. Your intro almost made me close the window and not bother though- you come off as a raging neckbeard for the first couple paragraphs. Thankfully it turned into a nice read afterwards.

It's a solid bit of work. It will be worthless in a few patches when they finish their power draw system/ghostheat 2.0. I would be glad if you did a new one at that time, it is nice to have all the numbers at hand. Maybe with less condescension and borderline gloating in the intro though. Not all of us were as clueless as you make it out to be Posted Image

Well that's unfortunate. To be honest I was trying to make it seem like a surprise factor, a bait to get people to keep reading. I'll take another look at it and see if I can't tone down the accusations a bit. Please know though it isn't directed at anyone in particular, just that the general opinions seem to vary widely and plenty of veterans that actually don't know what they're talking about spread misinformation. I'm hoping at least my thanks in the afterword for all work from the smart people I piggybacked off of at least helps lighten the mood. Maybe I can put that in with the introduction.

As for updating with ghost heat 2.0. Yep... that whole section will be invalidated. I will continue updating and putting out new editions with major game patches as long as I'm still playing the game though, and if I do decide to quit for good at some point I'll make sure I pass off the torch to someone else before I go.

Also, I do have a beard but for some strange reason hair just doesn't grow on my neck. Guess I was blessed that way. Posted Image

View PostProcurator Derek, on 20 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

I think, this could be stickied here or in the Guides sub-forum. Guide Forum seems most appropriate. Top quality work though, OP.

I agree. Is there a way I can move it? Can you or another moderator do this or should I just repost in the other forum?

Also, thanks for everyone's feedback. Really appreciate it!

Edited by smokytehbear, 20 June 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 20 June 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

I agree. Is there a way I can move it? Can you or another moderator do this or should I just repost in the other forum?

I'll move it here in a little while.

#10 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 20 June 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

I'll move it here in a little while.

wait.... where?

I know no other place other than GD on these forums.

Also.. Thanks OP. nice work!
I need to show this to someone.

#11 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 20 June 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Well that's unfortunate. To be honest I was trying to make it seem like a surprise factor, a bait to get people to keep reading. I'll take another look at it and see if I can't tone down the accusations a bit. Please know though it isn't directed at anyone in particular, just that the general opinions seem to vary widely and plenty of veterans that actually don't know what they're talking about spread misinformation. I'm hoping at least my thanks in the afterword for all work from the smart people I piggybacked off of at least helps lighten the mood. Maybe I can put that in with the introduction.

As for updating with ghost heat 2.0. Yep... that whole section will be invalidated. I will continue updating and putting out new editions with major game patches as long as I'm still playing the game though, and if I do decide to quit for good at some point I'll make sure I pass off the torch to someone else before I go.

Also, I do have a beard but for some strange reason hair just doesn't grow on my neck. Guess I was blessed that way. Posted Image

Altering your intro would be a step from good towards perfection as far as guides go. Also, I am glad to hear you will be putting the effort into revamping it when the new system comes about, as that will ensure it ends up on a lot of people's bookmark bars. Good show Smoky.

#12 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostZordicron, on 20 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

It's a solid bit of work. It will be worthless in a few patches when they finish their power draw system/ghostheat 2.0. I would be glad if you did a new one at that time, it is nice to have all the numbers at hand. Maybe with less condescension and borderline gloating in the intro though. Not all of us were as clueless as you make it out to be Posted Image

Agreed.

terms like misinformed community inner circle is kinda offensive.
The inner circle I know know about almost all the info provided... with corresponding calculations and testing.

When you create a top quality work.. you should keep the high standard through out the text.

#13 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

Excellent OP,
read the whole thing and made a couple of charts.

Cheers,

G7

#14 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

Still not clear on linked fire ghost heat. The example was for different lasers both over the ghost heat threshold.

However what about LRM5 + LM10 + LRM15 vs. 3x LRM10? Is the total ghost heat equivalent to 3x LRM15 even though LRM5s have a ghost heat threshold of four? To me the wording in game implies that ghost heat would apply to the third launcher(and second?) but that the extra heat would be from the LRM15 as it has the highest ghost heat value.

Edited by Spheroid, 20 June 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#15 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 20 June 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Still not clear on linked fire ghost heat. The example was for different lasers both over the ghost heat threshold.

However what about LRM5 + LM10 + LRM15 vs. 3x LRM10? Is the total ghost heat equivalent to 3x LRM15 even though LRM5s have a ghost heat threshold of four? To me the wording in game implies that ghost heat would apply to the third launcher(and second?) but that the extra heat would be from the LRM15 as it has the highest ghost heat value.

Oh nice catch, I wasn't even aware there was a linked group with a different number of weapons fired to start the ghost heat. I have no idea honestly. I will look into this.

I am guessing it will be as you describe. Only taking 3 LRMs fired in the interval so long as at least one is anything but an LRM 5, and that it will then use the highest ghost heat penalty. I'll definitely test this out though and get back to you.

#16 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 20 June 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Agreed.

terms like misinformed community inner circle is kinda offensive.
The inner circle I know know about almost all the info provided... with corresponding calculations and testing.

When you create a top quality work.. you should keep the high standard through out the text.

How do I get into your inner circles and out of mine? XD

I suppose a lot of my perspective of what people think is somewhat tainted, having just now arrived in Tier 2. No shortage of people teaching others lies in the lower tiers, and I'm putting my own self for the last few months firmly in that category as well. Hopefully getting this information out there in a way that's consolidated will help remove those kinds of people, and now all the circles can be great places to be.

But yeah, after I figure out and post the LRM thing I'll go ahead and change the introduction a bit as well to include a little less rage and accusation.

#17 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

Awesome work OP. The typical fans of this franchise love the mechlab as much as the game, want this information and can understand it. It has always frustrated me how little information we're given, and how simple PGI thinks they need to make everything.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

Just wish progressive heat penalty was a thing.

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Where'd you find the map heat info?

Testing?

#20 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 20 June 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

Oh nice catch, I wasn't even aware there was a linked group with a different number of weapons fired to start the ghost heat. I have no idea honestly. I will look into this.

I am guessing it will be as you describe. Only taking 3 LRMs fired in the interval so long as at least one is anything but an LRM 5, and that it will then use the highest ghost heat penalty. I'll definitely test this out though and get back to you.

IIRC, if you've got a larger launcher in the chain, it'll immediately tell you "LOL GHOST HEAT", hitting you with the worst of the lot- so 5-5-5 is fine, but 10-5-5 will get you LRM 10 spooked.

And brilliant bit of work here getting this all reverse-engineered from the weirdness of Paul. I do look forward to seeing more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users