Heat In Mwo

42 replies to this topic

#41 krevLL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPolar Highlands - wait, no, Canada.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

So *cold* fusion, if we do read into that particular quirk. Doubly so (almost literally) with the Night Gyr. Although I'm not entirely sure just how specific anyone has gotten with the mechanics of the Fusion engines, I feel like they utilize something different than an energy transfer though coolant, which, insofar as I know, is impossible in a heatless reactor anyhow.

It's almost like in the current implementation the reactor is a non-heating item, you could chalk up heat-in-motion as being waste energy from the actuators and myomer bundles, while weapons fire obviously causes the heat buildup we all know and love. I suppose that it is possible that the reactor is so sophisticated and efficient that it contains any heat within itself in a perfectly isolated environment, but that really raises the question of cooking yourself when you overheat. Is it from excess weapon heat? Or is it from overtaxing the reactor? Also, when I blasted 6xsrm6s repeatedly with my override engaged why did it instantly destroy only my cockpit from overheating when theoretically placing any sort of heat sink in or near the cockpit would be amongst the worst of design ideas? (I know, RNGesus, but really, you'd think it would wreck something with the ability to dissipate heat by design, unless mech's do actually radiate heat passively through everywhere. As evidenced by a mech glowing everywhere in thermal view.)

Energy draw adds another level to this, and answers my above question of what causes heat damage between reactor and weapons. Ish.

Who knows, in my trade we have a phrase for this kind of thing; Pure F***ing Magic.

On the topic of the newest clan addition, I propose that it exists solely in a sub-dimension where ambient temperature is always roughly 18°C.

Also, read, and reread that guide. Will do so again, later, then copy the equations onto a post-it stuck to the computer desk. Fantastic read, thank you.

#42 Solstice

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

I would like there to be a slightly larger heat capacity by default

#43 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

View PostSolstice, on 17 December 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

I would like there to be a slightly larger heat capacity by default

It raises with your heatsinks.
Mwo's default is the base 30 plus your heatsinks capacity. Minimum used to be forty nowitis a fair bit higher.
Current high end realistically attainable is still almost 4 times higher than the source material (above 110 at 113.x for the clans only,is cap out at just over 100.) Largely due to difference in maximum possible heatsinks per side given clan ones take less space.

Info here is old.
System still allows energy based alphas in excess of 96 damage per space without shutdown, something blatantly impossible in source material without using ballistics and even then the source material accounts that as 10 seconds of fire rather than as a single shot.

Edited by Koniving, 28 January 2018 - 02:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users