They Stole Our Doritos And Won't Give Them Back Unless We Use Uavs / Tag / Command Consoles

60 replies to this topic

#41 rxdg

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

So... what's the justification for not showing doritos for friendly mechs? Will we need a command console to share the direction of our own mechs?

#42 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

Wow, reading the hotfix announcement was a solid start to the day for sure.
I can't be happier with where it landed and really, really dig the direction of InfoTech. I mean, we're finally getting a solid reason for we scouts to, you know, go scouting. Increases the usefulness of TAG, and UAV's deployed in brawl zones will go up exponentially. Plus, looks like someone finally found the 'on' button for things like the CC.

Commence immersion, I say! :)
Once the hotfix is out this week minimap is in a great place, once InfoTech starts rolling out (aka the Doritos) it will be in a fantastic place.

AND.. it's a nice sunny day with hot coffee... what could be better :)

#43 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:20 AM

@johnnyZ

hmm, is it only a pain for a day? are we getting the old minimap back minus dorios or? are we getting this horrible new minimap only slightly zoomed in? the proof will be in the pudding.

and while true the new minimap didn't break the game it might as well have snapped people's play styles in half. is a "Patch didn't completely break the game!" any kind of metric to work from?? oh johnny you're so silly.

speaking of silly, as far as this whole map thing making the players look silly, uh, I think when a company makes a move that upsets the player base they are the ones who look silly. if their goal as you posit was to make us look silly they failed on a couple of levels didn't they?

it's ok man, you don't have to defend them.

#44 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

@BoPop

Umm, you were around for the massive flame when they pulled InfoTech last year right? And the call for InfoTech is constantly floating around in threads regularly since. Personally I think the people who look silly are the ones that scream for "change now!" but scream louder when they actually get it. :)

PGI makes some rather sensible (note the majority in the Dorito convo are liking it?) moves toward InfoTech and still people lose their minds.

*shrugs* But, that's the nice thing about opinions, everyone is entitled to have theirs :)

#45 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

well, I kinda find this ok, given that the doritos would require a C3 and slaves for it. We probably should ahve never gotten doritos to begin with.

So basicalyl all you would see are your own doritos. In fact even target info should only be shared if you have a C3 isntalled, otherwise you only get target info when you lock it youself and father the targets info.

So i really go with the pro C3 crowd here.

The only thing bothering me is how Voip may render any C3 useless and would just mean being pointless.

therefore I would say make C3 stuff a mod instead of equipment, because that would prevent widening the laodoutgap between VOIP using premades and the randoms.

View PostMorggo, on 22 June 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

Wow, reading the hotfix announcement was a solid start to the day for sure.
I can't be happier with where it landed and really, really dig the direction of InfoTech. I mean, we're finally getting a solid reason for we scouts to, you know, go scouting. Increases the usefulness of TAG, and UAV's deployed in brawl zones will go up exponentially. Plus, looks like someone finally found the 'on' button for things like the CC.

Commence immersion, I say! Posted Image
Once the hotfix is out this week minimap is in a great place, once InfoTech starts rolling out (aka the Doritos) it will be in a fantastic place.

AND.. it's a nice sunny day with hot coffee... what could be better Posted Image

becaue that was badly done.

Infotehc would mean: what is one willign to sacrifice to get additional information. While the given "infotech" last year was just, Some mechs got it some not + ECM screwing it up, given you had the luxury of a ecm hardpoint. It was heavily unblanced and broken since it totally bised towards some mechs

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 June 2016 - 05:44 AM.

#46 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

With a little imagination the system we have now is not too far fetched

You see BattleTech reflects the thinking and technology of the 1960's and 70's
Back then upgrades like ECM or pave tack pod was almost always big bulky and heavy

In reality most true upgrades have been smaller lighter faster
Instead of an ECM pod the F15 has ECM built in so no need for a big old heavy pod

So in other words you should not need a command console since later Mechs would have that capability without the extra
Weight same for Tag, Narc and ECM

SADL or situational awareness data link is something that has been out for years and it’s a way you would
Share combat information with other Mechs

The new mini map now looks amazingly like a RHWR (Radar homing and warning also called threat warning)

But the evolution should be to provide that info upfront on the HUD

I picture something like we had on the pave penny pod
When a target was outside of the FOV (field of view) of the HUD a dashed line appeared showing the direction
To the target

Target prioritization could also displayed on the HUD so instead of Doritos you would have an array of symbols that appears on the HUD

#47 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:42 AM

View PostJetfire, on 22 June 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

How did you magically know which way every mech was facing just by being within sensor range?

The same way your sensors tell you the front and back armor values for the enemy.

If your sensors know that in real-time then they know which way the mech is facing.

They're just being Dorito Natsees.

Edited by AnTi90d, 22 June 2016 - 05:42 AM.

#48 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:04 AM

This, ladies and gents is what happens when someone gets the bright idea that to make certain things useful, all they have to do is take away the basics and stick them on whatever they couldn't actually figure out a way to get players to use before.

And the saddest thing is there's actually people posting here that think this is a good thing. It's not "deeper infotech".

Deeper would have been putting the weight IDs on Command Console, and allowing it to multidesignate like a weaker UAV. This is cutting a foot off the bottom of your blanket, sewing to the top and saying the blanket is longer than it was to begin with.

#49 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

Boy, this thread kind of backfired :(

#50 Dakkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

I reckon we get too much information and technological advantages by default anyway. Take some more away.

I still love the idea of implementing reticle bob into the first person view, like it is in third person.
That way lasers stop being pinpoint and aiming with anything apart from missiles (remove srm boat mechs if this ever happens) takes some skill, especially at range. Might encourage brawlers again. I mean it's a bit ridiculous that you can see the arms bouncing up and down and lasers coming out at wrong angles to the lens - how can the weapons not have reticle bob.

Pair this with fixing convergence. Instead of having every weapon focus on a point, have each weapon have it's own point relative to where it is on the mech. Now aiming REALLY takes some skill and actually accounts for how pilots miss fairly often in TT.

Now with those 2 done, make Targeting Computers/C3 Computers available to IS mechs, and have them give bonuses such as reduced reticle sway and tighter convergence, relative to the tonnage of the computer. Now this equipment might actually mean something - sacrifice tonnage/firepower for accuracy, or sacrifice these computers for more (but less accurate) firepower.

Pinpoint and TTK fixed instantly.

I believe these changes above, plus more information warfare changes like the minimap/TAG/Command Console/CAP, would return MWO to feeling more like a simulator game and not an arcadey TDM MMO.

Edited by Dakkss, 22 June 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#51 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

Please give Mechs that are known for their good sensor / electronic equipment something.
For example Raven.

#52 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

So. PGI is going to remove a feature and then add it later, linked to the Command Console, and call that the "buff that makes it worth the tonnage"? No. All of my no. BUFF THE COMMAND CONSOLE PROPERLY!

#53 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

I actually think the use of TAG and UAVs in this role can be very interesting. At the least, it shouldn't be as disorientating as what we have now, and having to earn this information might not be so bad. If you see a red blip behind you, it's probably not backing into you :P

#54 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

Want Doritos back!!!!!!

#55 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

So would NARC also show a mech's direction? Would Clan mechs have any command console equivalent?

#56 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostDarthHias, on 21 June 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

Meh the Doritos have always been of questionable use. My Torso almost never faces the direction of my legs.

True enough...
... BUT!
Your torso also never ever faces the BACK of the direction of your legs too ;)

#57 burns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationMonerica

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

Was shoving my Atlas' "unused for years" CC into my K2 yesterday to fill tonnage, so buff away. It´s either the CC with 0.6 unused tonnage or one more ton of Ammo and 2.6 unused tonnage and another few years of one sad CC sitting in the darkest corner of the inventory.

Other than that, if they force people to decide between 3 tons for usability or 3 tons for POWAAA ... i wonder how that turns out! lol

View PostAnTi90d, on 21 June 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

The same way your sensors tell you the front and back armor values for the enemy.

If your sensors know that, in real-time, then they know which way the mech is facing.

You´re making it too easy. inb4 *poof* enemy paperdoll gone Posted Image

View PostVoidcrafter, on 22 June 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

Your torso also never ever faces the BACK of the direction of your legs too Posted Image

And you? You make Urbie sad!

Edited by burns, 22 June 2016 - 06:46 AM.

#58 MitzaVolchenko

• Pip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 22 June 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

Let's not kid ourselves - nobody is going to take a TAG, UAV, or Command Console just to get the dorito markers.

I drop a UAV in almost every QP match particularly for the orientation of the enemies in range. It helps increase my chance of winning and almost always makes its cost back.

#59 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

It's one of, if not the best new features!

#60 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

This could actually have UAVs give fast ECM snipers--mechs like the Shadow Cat oh Phoenix Hawk-- some nice utility. A UAV could help them slip behind other mechs and get a better idea of where their opponents are facing, but it could have the double purpose of setting up inform for allied LRMs and info feed as well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users