84 replies to this topic

#41 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 22 June 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

It does take out the guy that says "THE ENEMY IS OVER TO OUR LEFT." Yeah...YOUR left, my back. Or right.

Well if you stayed with the group.. and the map was locked.. then you are using Map location directions.. So MAP left.. MAP north.. ect, doesn't mater which way you are facing.. Its all the same direction.. (which is why i HATE SPINNING MINI_MAP)

I honestly found it more useful than grids.. especially when People are farther away and you can't pin-point the grid.. OR are a new player which doesn't know all the grids... grids, i often would have to tab to the battle grid, just to see the grid point, then back and then say position, which took time.. Saying something like.. 4 mechs, NE,, then tab to battle grid and find pin-point location.. Basic directions faster,, more precise after.. I'm sure some people have the entire map grids burned into their brains, but that is not the majority of the players.

Saying 4 mechs NE,, is sometimes more useful than saying 4 mechs I14... Everyone knows what NE is.. Or i should hope..

See what i am saying?

#42 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 June 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

I'm really curious what you call poor programming?

the exact same outcome could of come from a single tread and a simple pole... I guess that is to much to ask Posted Image

Perfect example of the kind of errors that PGI makes and should be corrected before downloading to the players.

If you are in medicine or engineering, you understand our dismay at the simple errors made or poorly implemented features.

Edited by Duncan Aravain, 22 June 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#43 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

I only got limited time in-game so far but I do detest that new mini-map. So for now I'm:

Posted Image

#44 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostBrandarr Gunnarson, on 22 June 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

Same. Overall good; one glaring issue that overshadows it.

I even like that the minimap is static and we turn on it. That allows us to direct people north, south, east and west much easier. But the zoom ruins it and that's all people focus on.

It's not just the zoom. The old mini-map helped tremendously when you're at greater than 90-degree torso twist while running at high speed. The gigantic in-HUD directional arrow people keep harping about is useless under such conditions.

Also, I prefer the bigger map for locating and directing people. I wish PGI would put both that and the mini-map on those useless cockpit monitors and on a player's secondary/tertiary displays or tablets for those who have them.

Edited by Mystere, 22 June 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#45 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 22 June 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

Also, don't be so sure HBS is so great until you actually play their game. I don't remember when I last seen a hyped game that didn't turn out to be way overhyped.

In defense of the OP, it will be very hard for HBS to fail so hard as PGI did/does, so most likely they will at least be better than PGI, which doesn't say much, but hey, at least it's something Posted Image

#46 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostClaxton Weathers, on 22 June 2016 - 04:11 AM, said:

John Weisman knows what the battletech community wants and wait and see. When HBS's Battletech comes out, watch the troves of people leaving this pos behind

Just as a counterpoint, I an not looking forward to turn-based battles in a game, especially since we're now 16 years well into the 21st Century.

Why HBS did not take a page from Creative Assembly's Total War series (or better yet, partnered with them) and instead decided to create a turn-based game keeps me wondering.

#47 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostMystere, on 22 June 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Just as a counterpoint, I an not looking forward to turn-based battles in a game, especially since we're now 16 years well into the 21st Century.

Why HBS did not take a page from Creative Assembly's Total War series (or better yet, partnered with them) and instead decided to create a turn-based game keeps me wondering.

Maybe because it's a different genre which people actually like and doesn't have anything to do with the year we are in?
That's like saying no one should play football anymore because we have video games now Posted Image

#48 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 22 June 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

a seismic jammer

Dune calls that a "thumper". Posted Image

It would be nice to have a module that drops one or more of those at selected grid locations.

#49 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 June 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

I think I explain my view here.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-four-pillars/

So basically u agree with me on the fact that they've added very little but unlike me you are still hopeful. Well, we'll see i guess. Though im just done with this game, at this point i dont really care much what happens.

#50 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 22 June 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

Maybe because it's a different genre which people actually like and doesn't have anything to do with the year we are in?
That's like saying no one should play football anymore because we have video games now Posted Image

Let me ask you this then: What makes turn-based battles better than real-time ones?

#51 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostMystere, on 22 June 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

Let me ask you this then: What makes turn-based battles better than real-time ones?

As I said, it's another genre. It's not better, it's different.

#52 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostClaxton Weathers, on 22 June 2016 - 04:11 AM, said:

That 18 million cbills I've spent on seismic was a ******* waste. That is a month of playing on the short end. The command wheel gets open and has a mind of its own. Who in the **** ever mentioned anything wrong with the mini map, when was that ever an issue. Why would someone just assume to fix something that wasn't broke? Maybe a few tweaks to it here and there but to be so goddamn lost to start a match after playing this game for this long, I feel like you have to completely re-learn how to maneuver the mech\map. John Weisman knows what the battletech community wants and wait and see. When HBS's Battletech comes out, watch the troves of people leaving this pos behind

Ha! ha! 18 million....

I don't even WANT to count how much I'm losing here but it's well over half a billion cbills...

#53 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

How the hell did PGI come up with a Hotfix so fast for the minimap? They cant program anything in any short length of time for the past 3 years. How did it all of a sudden happen with the minimap.

#54 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostZolaz, on 22 June 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

How the hell did PGI come up with a Hotfix so fast for the minimap? They cant program anything in any short length of time for the past 3 years. How did it all of a sudden happen with the minimap.

Old coke had cane sugar, cocacola wanted to switch to cheaper corn syrup but it tasted slghtly different, replace coke with new coke which is designed to be hated, wait a few months, reintroduce coke classic with corn syrup and since the swap between the two formulas weren't instantaneous less comparison could be done so no one complained about it really.

In short, this was planned in advance.

#55 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

They plan to be the license holder of Mechwarrior for at least the next decade.

I don't have to follow that with a punchline.

#56 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

HBS took in so much money for their kickstarter and all they've decided to develop is chess with 'mechs. Move one, attack if you can, then your opponent does the same.

It's an abomination with less functionality than Megamek.

They had the funds to design a serious tactical wargame, but the decisions they've made so far are incomprehensible and indefensible. Sorry I backed it.

#57 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostEximar, on 22 June 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

Sorry I backed it.

Man I don't think you could have written a more generic angry Kickstarter post.

They're delivering everything that was promised.

Right now you're like a guy who buys a boat off craigslist and then is angry when it's not an aircraft carrier.

Edited by dervishx5, 22 June 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#58 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Being directionally challenged and lacking situational awareness is your own problem, not PGI's.

I can't believe so many people whined so shamelessly about their own lack of ability.

It's the self-deprecating "of course lol" in the back of everyone's minds, but I say it with absolute authenticity. Most of the problems with this game are because of the people who play it, and most of all because of the vocal minority. MWO will never get better because of yourselves. You are the wrench in the gears. Quit playing. Take a break from your meddling and come back in a year or two.

#59 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 22 June 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

Man I don't think you could have written a more generic angry Kickstarter post.

They're delivering everything that was promised.

Right now you're like a guy who buys a boat off craigslist and then is angry when it's not an aircraft carrier.

You couldn't be more wrong. Not mad at all. Just sad they decided to make something so simplistic.

As far as their promises, they never made any with respect to what kind of game it would be and I knew that going in. I like PvP much more than PvE, but I was looking forward to that game and now I'm not.

So yes, I wish I hadn't backed it, but that doesn't make me some generic kickstarter QQer.

#60 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostEximar, on 22 June 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

You couldn't be more wrong. Not mad at all. Just sad they decided to make something so simplistic.

As far as their promises, they never made any with respect to what kind of game it would be and I knew that going in. I like PvP much more than PvE, but I was looking forward to that game and now I'm not.

So yes, I wish I hadn't backed it, but that doesn't make me some generic kickstarter QQer.

Well you have to start small. I'd like to see a grand battletech strategy game akin to Megamek or greater (but with graphics better than sprites) too. But I was under no assumptions that this game wouldn't be made for the average layman first. It's Business 101. Get the largest audience you can.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users