Pgi < Hbs

84 replies to this topic

#61 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 22 June 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

Also, don't be so sure HBS is so great until you actually play their game. I don't remember when I last seen a hyped game that didn't turn out to be way overhyped.

Its more so that HBS has done a great job with the Shadowrun games so far and has a solid track record for making videogames of a tabletop IP. That and the head of HBS is Jordan Weisman...so they've got that going for them lol.

#62 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 June 2016 - 04:41 AM, said:

2 steps forward, 3 steps back?

This time, it's more like 9 steps forward, 1 step back, and everyone is focusing on the 1 step back. There's a lot of positive stuff going on this summer. All the players who don't see it, all the players who are threatening to leave the game...

Good. Bye bye now. I guess this isn't the game for you.

I agree. Awesome sig tho. Who made it, what inspired it? Looks wonderfully 80's, but I don't recognise it.

I've got to ask...what nine?

Rescale was rubbish
Map is inferior (yes, even after the hotpatch), but now acceptable as opposed to utter ********

I guess the map counts as a positive? Haven't played it yet (just laughing at the FS9 VS Pult in the blizzard)

I have neither the spare time or the sleep to catch up with Shooty Stompy Robots this week

#63 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 June 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

Rescale was rubbish
Map is inferior (yes, even after the hotpatch), but now acceptable as opposed to utter ********

I guess the map counts as a positive? Haven't played it yet (just laughing at the FS9 VS Pult in the blizzard)

I have neither the spare time or the sleep to catch up with Shooty Stompy Robots this week

Disagree.

Re-scale is good and was the right thing to do IMO.

Mini-map was disorienting at first but no more than when I first played MWO and tried to learn the spinning map. After about 10 games I was doing fine again. The lack of a zoom was annoying but that has already been fixed along with the spinny map again. So we had the map for 24 hours, Many that are complaining never even played on it. It is already back to the way they wanted it, only better because it adds the possibility of expanding infowarfare as the game moves forward. IMO.

Frozen City map is better in every way. You can still brawl on it but it is better looking and there is room to flank and play the long range game. Lots of cover. I did well on it with a short range Mech as I approached the Long range guys under cover and took them out.

Forest Colony is also improved. There is now more opportunity for movement instead of the same old, stale battle in the same spot if anyone wants to make use of it.

This patch opens the door for much more good stuff in the next few months. Naysayers love to say the game is not progressing and the "Four Pillars" that were promised are lacking. Then when moves are made to fix obvious issues in the game and to make infowarfare more a part of the game there is nothing but angst and complaining. I see a bunch of people complaining that a 35T Jenner is no longer the size of a 20T Locust and now is closer to a 40T Cicada. Really?

The mini-map needed to be fixed. At least the zoom part of it. I really hope PGI and Russ stand their ground on the rest of the patch because everything else was the right thing to do for the game. Now it is time to move on to the re-quirking and the replacement for GH.

#64 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

the funniest part of this post is you are comparing a game that is NOT even out yet.... and a game that HIT-boxes, and even terrain means anything... To a real time line of sight FPS...

Guess what... in a turn based game on attack, we roll dice, and then say... Ohhh, under cover, add 30+ to no hit... FPS... i can maneuver a bit, and make my hit land

HBS... I don;t need to make modles, or animations... A tiny part a huge part of what the game needs, but the turn based game... such a tiny part over all... Yet it is already done..

I really hope that HBS makes a great game... and i hope that PGI's MWO game merge with them in a PVE area.. But man... Can you Please stop comparing PGI to a game that has not even come out??????

View PostRampage, on 22 June 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

Re-scale is good and was the right thing to do IMO.

No need to go farther... Best thing they have done since the game launched..... (not directed towards you.. BUT to the others) Cry all you want if your mech grew.. Maybe you played OP hit boxed mechs your entire time.. WAAAAAAAA Every single mech i have played over 100 matches shrunk... So suck on that...

Edited by JC Daxion, 22 June 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#65 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 June 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

No need to go farther... Best thing they have done since the game launched..... (not directed towards you.. BUT to the others) Cry all you want if your mech grew.. Maybe you played OP hit boxed mechs your entire time.. WAAAAAAAA Every single mech i have played over 100 matches shrunk... So suck on that...

And here we have someone unable to look into what effects this will have in the long run (either God Quirks, or rubbish robots)

#66 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 June 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

And here we have someone unable to look into what effects this will have in the long run (either God Quirks, or rubbish robots)

really??? Well for one, i don't have an issue with quirks... they have made tons of mechs viable... Again... Please explain how every single mech i have played for years shrunk... Yet the ones called OP grew.. (not all but many)

#67 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

You're making a bad comparison, between PGI and HBS. The two are making completely different game in terms of mechanics and how one plays the game. But hey, if you wanna try and compare the two, go ahead, it's not going to change anything really, all in all to be blunt, just another hate thread on PGI. And sadly enough, this won't be the last of them. Oh well, you keep on, and then think about it in the long run.

#68 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 June 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

really??? Well for one, i don't have an issue with quirks... they have made tons of mechs viable... Again... Please explain how every single mech i have played for years shrunk... Yet the ones called OP grew.. (not all but many)

Are you saying Lights are OP?
Because Lights got Shafted, and now they'll all need the GodQuirks the cheetah of Yore had

Balancing by quirks is a piss poor way to balance the game, but now it's unavoidable with that geometry

#69 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 22 June 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

You're making a bad comparison, between PGI and HBS. The two are making completely different game in terms of mechanics and how one plays the game. But hey, if you wanna try and compare the two, go ahead, it's not going to change anything really, all in all to be blunt, just another hate thread on PGI. And sadly enough, this won't be the last of them. Oh well, you keep on, and then think about it in the long run.

Posted Image

#70 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 22 June 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

FPS + controlling your own mech VS Birds eye view + directing mechs. Two different games.

#71 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 22 June 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

FPS + controlling your own mech VS Birds eye view + directing mechs. Two different games.

Posted Image

#72 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 June 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Yep.

For you that don't pilot lights.

#73 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

HBS has made 3 games I like a lot. Returns, Dragon Fall and Hong Kong of the Shadowrun series. Now you say they aren't AAA titles, but they aren't meant to be. They are usually on sale for 5$ and are a few hours of distraction, not at all aiming for AAA level and the modest pricing with no season pass to deal with confirms this.

HBS failed me on one game, Golem Arcana. The scope of this miniatures/tablet game was HUGE but they also got a buttload of money on Kickstarter. They said they spent $1,000,000 of their own money on its production and couldn't recoup that or continue to make it. This really bummed me and my Golem Arcana pals out. The game is amazing, the mechanics are perfect and the pieces are beautiful (but prepainted which is nice but I'd rather paint them). My friend paid over $2,000 to get his name in the game and to make a special character for his chosen faction. Since they stopped production he never got to make his character, when he asked about this they said he could do it in Battletech. If this happens I'll be sure to tell you all who his character is and what not.

HBS > PGI is not an argument I will disagree with, one of these companies has had 3 wildly successful games and the other has MWO.

PGI has made some missteps with MWO. They never give us enough of a preview of what is coming out to say "Uh...not a good idea" like with this new minimap. If they had released video or pictures of it a month or two ago they could have saved themselves a lot of grief and a hotfix.

Minimally viable product is right. However I do love MWO, flaws and all. I play MWO every day just about and have put a lot of my money into it. I'd like to see it continue for many years, I'd like to see a lot of things, like PVE and Solaris.

At this point I don't think PGI learns from their mistakes. I think they listen and correct some of them but never do they seem to learn.

Town Halls are amateur.
No PTS for any criticism of changes before they go live
No community manager to manage the forums
The makers of the game barely spend any time actually playing the game
The main balancer is locked away in a tower waiting for a prince to rescue him

PGI has probably my absolute favorite art team though, I love what these guys do with most of the mechs.

#74 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostClaxton Weathers, on 22 June 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

PGI will never receive another dime from me, always going 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. What a ******* joke....

You mean 3 steps forward one step, which you were hoping and salivating for, back? Check. The minimap direction path has been laid out and the promptly released a fix for the worst issues. Pull your panties out of a bunch little one.

#75 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostNT Hackman, on 22 June 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

So how much are you paid to shill? Every new thread that has any negative tone towards the glorious and omnipotent PGI has you creeping around just to say &quot;Can't say anything bad about the game because I'm a moderator.&quot; Or do you do it for free?

Way to not study a person. You just read the cover. Congrats

I do talk against PGI, here, have just one thread link of mine talking about the crate function back when they showed little to no info;

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Again, don't judge a book by it's cover, it doesn't get you far.

#76 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

That's exactly what someone paid by PGI to talk up PGI would say. He'd also create a couple dozen threads about PGI being dumb to pretend he wasn't secretly working for them.

Oh wait...

Posted Image

#77 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

View PostPyckenZot, on 22 June 2016 - 04:30 AM, said:

For me it's the complete opposite.
I love the full map view but hate that it doesn't rotate with me.
And as such we once prove you can't please all,...

To the OP, this is one of the better patches.

For me I just love it. It's just I want to do it like MW4: mercs where you can have this map and the other map displayed at two different places.

A circular map detecting enemies with only 1000 m (1200 w/ bap) range around you while there is a huge static map one as well on the same time of to the left that shows you enemies and stuff again but not exactly your direction or cone of view. That way you can easily cross reference and boom!

#78 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:26 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 22 June 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

For you that don't pilot lights.

I pilot lights, I just do not main them. I have mastered Ravens, Firestarters, Locusts, and Adders. They serve me well.

#79 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:34 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 June 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

I pilot lights, I just do not main them. I have mastered Ravens, Firestarters, Locusts, and Adders. They serve me well.

Mine too.
But I don't think they can serve us as well than before... being "out of scale" now.
Which is pretty sad.
"Light OP" whiny boys now can aim them better....and can think their aim skills are better.
LOL

#80 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 June 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

Rescale was rubbish
  • Overall, the rescale was good. In my opinion, the rescale only highlighted existing problems (e.g. light mechs aren't properly balanced in MWO due to core game mechanics, Highlander sucks balls, etc) it's not a problem in itself.
  • Frozen City 2 is the best map in MWO, by far. I consider this a 10/10 map. The bad MWO game modes are the only issue I have with playing on it.
  • Catapult weapon geometry was changed (also a minor change in Mad Dog weapon geometry).
  • A number of mechs got their chassis geometry changed for aesthetical reasons. Dire Wolf cockpit got smaller, for example.
  • Quirk adjustments were mostly good, even though it was only a small step in the right direction. Some of the quirks adjustments were so small that they were effectively pointless (5% gauss cooldown for Highlanders), but ok.
  • Command wheel is a huge step in the right direction. Been asking for this since 2012.
  • New minimap integrated with command wheel is great. (The lack of zoom and rotation was a huge negative, but they fixed it. It's now a positive change in my view.)
  • Leaderboards is good, I guess. I haven't looked at them, actually. But it's a good thing.
  • The FP changes were all good, although I don't play FP at all and probably never will. But I recognize that they were good for people who do play FP.
  • Forest Colony map change was... eh. Well, I actually don't think it makes a difference, but people seem to agree that it was good. <shrug>
That about covers it. Your mileage may vary, especially if you consider the rescale an overall negative rather than an overall positive.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users