Lets Talk About Mech Reputations With Individuals.

98 replies to this topic

#81 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 29 June 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

To particular hate, but it's a 3061 mech, at the bear minimum you could let it run as early as 3059.
Next problem is that it was used by Clans and Innersphere alike.
It's a good mech, but it doesn't fit into the 3050 timeline.

So either some wonky shenanigans to explain why there is a mech which wasn't even thought of until 10 years later or a timeline push. Including all what would be necessary for it (including LORE, Factions, mixtech etc etc)

Mixtech is death of game

So you may get your MadKittyIIbad2thabone but it will come at a cost. Like BLR's with Clan XL, Altas with Clan XL and a whole mess of problems from mixing of tech on IS mechs mainly which will become OP as S*%t due to lack of constructions rules for them.

#82 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 June 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

D'aw...

There was an image that someone on the forum made with a Timbie and a bunch of Mk IIIs around it or something. I'll see if I can dig it up.

#83 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

First and final warning to keep on topic please. Or else I'll have to send it somewhere else than General Discussion.

#84 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 29 June 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

First and final warning to keep on topic please. Or else I'll have to send it somewhere else than General Discussion.

We got off topic? I thought we were having a natural and organic discussion...

#85 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 June 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

Clan Wolf was never absorbed by Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Jade Wolf was done as a means to escape absorption, then Jade was dropped and they returned to being Clan Wolf, once Clan Wolf in Exile was abjured.

I never specified the means of their joining, just why it doesn't matter.

#86 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 29 June 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

I never specified the means of their joining, just why it doesn't matter.

I'm actually supporting your point to a degree, as they were never joined, just an alliance between a weakened Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon, the Refusal War cost them both, a lot.

#87 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 June 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Clan Ghost Bear is one that I would consider to be "Large and Powerful", they did buy some of them, this was before they became the Rasalhague Dominion, once they became the Rasalhague Dominion, then I would classify them as truly IS. When they were the Ghost Bear Dominion, they were still more clan than IS.

I would agree, The Mk II was common it would seem with Warden Clans who were within the Innersphere. Thus popular with Nova Cat and Wolf in Exile, Ghost Bear should be on that list for the sake nothing says no, and you can find the Mk II in the RAT for Clan Ghost Bear in Field Manual Updates IIRC

Edited by CK16, 29 June 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#88 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

The real question is if this mech is different from the kodiak. It'll be way better than the crappy DWF, faster, more agile with only slightly reduced hardpoints. People will probably build it 2xGauss, 2xLPL, 2xERML, maybe SRMs? The KDK4 can boat the exact same loadout. TBH, unless it can do something fancy or new, it'll be just a lighter (and probably worse) Kodiak.

Game has reached the point where mechpacks offer very little that is new, and new content really is needed.

#89 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 29 June 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

We've been over this before, this is wrong, Nova Cat had NOT even been abjured yet by the time the Nova Cat began production.

Awww... you know we're just talking symantics here. I'll concede that the first few production runs of the Nova Cat were made in Clan space. Then you'll concede the vast majority of Nova Cats were made in the Inner Sphere. I'll concede production started before they were abjured. You'll concede that Nova Cat officially joined the Star League as a part of Kurita and was producing the Nova Cat in the Sphere before they were officially abjured by the Clans.

The important distilled fact is the Nova Cat mech was a big part of Nova Cat's coming out as Inner Sphere party, and the defining moment for the mech was its use in crushing Smoke Jag. That's the important detail to remember.

Wolves-in-Exile won't be a unit in FW because of how small they are.

Oh, I dunno. ARDC starts out with more territory than any of the Clans do in the current state of the map in CW.Posted Image

No they weren't, don't confuse the Ghost Bear Dominion with the Rasalhague Dominion. They were friendly, but not that friendly yet.

In fairness, the relationship between Ghost Bear and FRR was always different than any invading clan to the territories they occupied. Remember that, because of their relationship with FRR, Ghost Bear went full Warden by the time of Operation Bulldog and relocated their entire society to their IS holdings. Then they basically excused themselves from participating in OB or the Great Refusal - and frankly just about anything until they went to war with Kurita/Nova Cat.

I don't think it would be unfair to reflect this unique relationship by giving Ghost Bear and FRR joint territory in a post-3058 MWO. Otherwise, you more or less lose FRR as a playable faction entirely.

#90 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

About the Mad Cat MKII again, i see another problem with most of the variant.

HAG, heavy laser, er pulse laser, repair system. Sorry but no matter the angle i look at it, the MK II just doesn't fit into the current game.

#91 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 29 June 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

About the Mad Cat MKII again, i see another problem with most of the variant.

HAG, heavy laser, er pulse laser, repair system. Sorry but no matter the angle i look at it, the MK II just doesn't fit into the current game.

Judging by what's been said, I think they won't upgrade the tech. However, I think PGI is thinking they are running out of '53 era mechs, and want to put out some of the shinier later mechs without the tech. For example, the Light Active Probe would be replaced with a regular one (sans some armor), or the ER Pulses would be replaced with regular pulse.

That's just speculation, though. I don't have anything to back it up other than I don't think they'll stick to '53 mechs or try and balance later tech like HAGs (which are awesome).

#92 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 29 June 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

That's just speculation, though. I don't have anything to back it up other than I don't think they'll stick to '53 mechs or try and balance later tech like HAGs (which are awesome).

It's not like i am against new additon to the game, but man, i got really mixed feelings about this approch.

Posted Image

#93 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 29 June 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

You'll concede that Nova Cat officially joined the Star League as a part of Kurita and was producing the Nova Cat in the Sphere before they were officially abjured by the Clans.

More semantics, technically they were not apart of the Star League as part of Kurita, but as a part of the SLDF (though they had forces with the Dracs per their agreement), and they produced the Nova Cat in the homeworlds at least until they were abjured as they had a plant on Barcella (now whether they produced at two different plants at the same time is up for debate).

Oh, I dunno. ARDC starts out with more territory than any of the Clans do in the current state of the map in CW.

They guard a decent amount of territory, but the key thing is that like Nova Cat, they are loyal to their masters so making them a separate entity when they really only have one true attack lane would be silly. Which is why NBT in the past has treated them as Mercs more so than actual units.

I don't think it would be unfair to reflect this unique relationship by giving Ghost Bear and FRR joint territory in a post-3058 MWO. Otherwise, you more or less lose FRR as a playable faction entirely.

Losing FRR as a playable faction isn't a big deal considering you gain one, the Wobblies, not to mention the major periphery states that have enough territory to at least be a factor (and could give the lower houses something to do potentially, if we needed more factions).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 29 June 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#94 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 29 June 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

It's not like i am against new additon to the game, but man, i got really mixed feelings about this approch.

Posted Image

To be fair, the mechs in this game are actually further differentiated than the ones in the TT by the hardpoint system and other characteristics like weapon positioning and agility charactersistic. After that, there are good changes enacted by moving away from the game, like adding torso twists to mechs like the Ebon Jaguar and Mauler. People are already complaining about the balance we have now, and it seems that TT fans agree that later tech just adds more and more power creep.

There's no way you can actually argue it's not a battletech game ex posto facto anyway. It's basically using the license. Mechwarrior is to Battletech as Battletech is to Macross/other properties some of these designs are taken from. Some things do have to be done to make all of the abstractions work in a competitive environment.

Edited by Snowbluff, 29 June 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#95 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 29 June 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

After that, there are good changes enacted by moving away from the game, like adding torso twists to mechs like the Ebon Jaguar and Mauler.

Technically this wasn't moving away from TT since all mechs had torso twist in TT, it was just the silly TRO art that gave them no twist ability.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 29 June 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#96 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 29 June 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Technically this wasn't moving away from TT since all mechs had torso twist in TT, it was just the silly TRO art that gave them no twist ability.

Well, I've always felt like the art of this game was one of the best things about it! ^.^'

#97 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 29 June 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Well, I've always felt like the art of this game is best thing about it! ^.^'

FTFY

#98 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 June 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

FTFY

This is one of the reasons why I wish there was an offline singleplayer. I want the models to live beyond the game! People still play the other 4 mechwarrior games over a decade later! Long live the models!

#99 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

I don't understand the point of this thread, because it kind of goes without saying.

Some zealot spergs out over wanting their pet mech in the game to the point of getting nasty about it, so somebody has to point out that most (if not all) others who like the mech don't act like that? The only people that would somehow have a problem with this not being pointed out are all bottom feeder forumite/Reddit scum and it doesn't matter what they think anyways, and even if everybody who wanted a certain mech acted like that it still would not matter because who cares if a person/group of people act(s) like (a) dipshit(s).

The whole premise of this thread is incredibly stupid.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users