Where Are All The Archers?

85 replies to this topic

#81 Gladius Vittoris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

View PostUltimax, on 30 June 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Yeah they were already mediocre/weak mechs that only really appealed to LRM boaters.

They had weak hitboxes before, post-rescale they are even worse.

Have you heard though, that there is a new Catapult Hero? Also Catapults really came out winners in the rescale.

Mind = blown.

Posted Image

And don't forget pgi nerfed the Jester (it was too much OP I suppose, lol ) ..... just before releasing a new Catapult hero... what a coincidence....

#82 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

View PostDaZur, on 30 June 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

Oh, I agree with ya! Just don't tell the meta intelligencia...

Please, you folks are doing an awful job of getting more people to pilot Rifleman. Step it up! My k/d is begging you! (And make sure to steer them towards XL's ty)

Archer is an under powered mech if you do not know how to run a LRM boat. Even if you do it might not be your best choice and it is a heavy which could mean a longer queue. Would still grab my Kintaro over it.

#83 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

In my 5w i outbrawled quite a few direwhales due to sheer amount of missiles fired by 8 srm4, but besides that they arent very good.

They arent great missile boats with only 2r having useful missile quirks. Then they are also huge targets and arent particulary good in brawl due to hitboxes. They got no niche where they arent outclassed by more versatile mechs(catapult at lurms, whamhammer at brawl, diverse knight at laservomit).

So yeah, basically 5w is like miracle diet.
You find biggest fatty on the map and unleash it and few seconds later fat is gone :D

Edited by davoodoo, 01 July 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#84 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 01 July 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

In my 5w i outbrawled quite a few direwhales due to sheer amount of missiles fired by 8 srm4, but besides that they arent very good.

They arent great missile boats with only 2r having useful missile quirks. Then they are also huge targets and arent particulary good in brawl due to hitboxes. They got no niche where they arent outclassed by more versatile mechs(catapult at lurms, whamhammer at brawl, diverse knight at laservomit)

Hitboxes are as good as they are going to get. The issue is actually the physical geometry of the design, which while related to hitboxes, is separate. Dragon style CT, Mad Dog style STs, with that super low mounted cockpit making peeking pretty much impossible. It even negates the "advantage" of the high CT Tag, overall, since to see what you are doing, you expose 1/3-1/2 the mech.

Add in the Bunny Ears to alert everyone of your presence, and well, it's a bad scenario.

Archer still needs heavier structure buffs as is, and decent Large Launcher LRM quirks. Otherwise it will just languish in obscurity.

Oh, and it needs the modeling adjustment to the arms the Warhammer got, clicking the elbows out a tad.... because it looks like it has a stick up it's butt.

#85 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 01 July 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

The general shape of the archer makes it hard to carry the massive firepower that other mechs can in the Heavy Class. More or less it has too strong of draw backs at the moment for people to really be all over it, so, with Catapults getting smaller IS players have gone back to them for their missile boat antics in the heavy class. You will likely see more Archers when they come out for Cbills, but, they are decidedly a meh mech. I do take my Tempest into FW with a standard engine and ECM with 2xLL, 2xML, 2xSRM4 which makes it work but it is still very meh, regardless of how much fun I have in it, unfortunately.

Archer should be tough, and with people fearing the larger LRM racks. That's it. I don't get why it's so hard for them to figure out,especially after they did such a great job of catching the Rifleman's flavor with it's quirks (offensive based glass cannon)

#86 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

I used to be a tank commander on the Merkava MK4.
We could load 2 infantry in the back corridor, or a whole squad if half of our belly (ammunition) was removed
Makes sense to have infantry with you, just not in the head so far up :P

Edited by Black Fish, 01 July 2016 - 02:29 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users