49 replies to this topic

#41 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostTKSax, on 30 June 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

My Group just won 18 scouting matches in row out of 18 played and We took 3 Novas (all with Small Lasers) and 1 Ice Ferret, (4 mpls) We ripped apart anything we came across and it was not just pugs, we ran into several 4 mans during this run.

Your group seal clubbed in CW? Want a cookie?

#42 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

I always thought personally the griffon was awful and vulnerable because of how freaking tall it is.

#43 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

View Post627, on 30 June 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

well we talk about 13 points of structure here; or 18 if you take CT but I can't remember the last time i didn't die to ST or Leg destruction. So 13 Points of damage are 3 shots with a clan small laser, that doesn't make a big difference when you look at the overall alphas you have on all those laserboats. In the best case that gives you 4 more seconds to live. Yes it helps but I think this is really a minor quirk if you compare it to a 10% heat reduction or so.

Right, so the structure quirks on it help.

I've brawled in them, the structure helps alot in a fight. especially when using a XL. it keeps the durability up while giving you time to adjust your strategy after a heavy fight and you're still standing.

View PostKubernetes, on 30 June 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Not to mention the 3M carries all its missiles in one ST, which means no 4xASRM6 loadouts. Oh, and it doesn't have the agility quirks of the 2N. Or ECM. So yeah, the 3M is super tanky, but almost noone chooses it over the 2N.

Right, which makes it strictly a brawler. Oh yeah, you can put LRMs on it, but why do that? you can at most only take 4, and even then it becomes not so good as other medium LRM boats.

I have the 2N too, good mech for quick skirmishes, and the ecm helps too. My 3M is for when I want to get down and dirty, and the 2N is for when I'm feeling sneaky.

#44 Vashramire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

-Griffin gets bigger after resize making it easier to hit
-Clanner claimes too tough to kill even though its quirks didn't change
-Cannot brain any harder

#45 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

I had one match (I know band camp speak). where I was able to stay outside of the srm range in my Crow and pulverize the enemy with my Streak Crow. Every couple of shots I would dip into range and use the 5 slasers when it was okay to take damage and remove a specific location. The dead members on my team on chat relayed weapons hardpoints and I took that piece of after the streaks stripped the armor. Then I played with my food before I ate it.

The crow speed and durability plus the ability to get more damage on target with streaks really is not offset by spread if a pilot knows how to run hot and uses coolant plus over ride with an elited mech.

#46 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:54 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 30 June 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

balance the griffin as it is far too tanky. It has a huge list of quirks that consist of structure additions and missile velocity. Also any srms can target one location where any clan srms spread all over the target. The clan mech other other hand has no addition structure quirks and the srms cannot target a single location. Everytime these too mechs meet , in most cases the griffin wins because of the additional structural quirks and because the srms can target a specific spot on the stormcrow. Additionally the stormcrow cannot jump like the griffin can.

Ways to balance and even the playing field. Allow the stormcrow a increase in missile velocity like the griffin, add structure quirks( especially on the legs), Allow the crow to target a specific spot with standard srms or srms with artimis like the griffin does and or allow the crow to be able to jump.

The Stormcrow in your example can have on it's one little arm and entire Inner Sphere mech's worth of energy hardpoints

StormcrowB right arm with 6x E
Then add in a Stormcrow D left torso for 2x M
Put on a Stormcrow A or D Right Torso for 1M
And it's a toss up between a D left arm for 1x M or an A left arm for 4x E

Up to 13 weapon hardpoints on a single 55 ton chassis isn't enough?

Ok how about the clan XL allowing survival after a side torso loss and retaining 4x E and 2X M or 6x E and 1xM depending on the side lost.

The Griffin is just dead.No weapons left it's gone it's XL is gone the mech is gone. I rarely lose to a singular Griffin because of this. XL check with 6 small pulse lasers and see how long they last! about two hits worth is how long.

Or how about HALF WEIGHT SRMs! if you are paying half the tonnage then add Artemis and watch that spread tighten.

Or how about using a 3x AMS Nova vs the griffin ?

About the only thing I can get behind on your post is the Stormcrow's legs are HUGE and could use some structure buffing.

#47 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 30 June 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

They should allow IS go full 100 tons.
I mean how else is Steiner supposed to scout?! With less than 400 tons of scout mechs?! NONSENSE

'spose they could make do with a lance including a Zeus or two?

#48 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:30 AM

I guess i am stretching CoC here, but...

MischiefSC, do you play mostly on your alt account(s)? Because i can see only 2 games played on QP and 2 games on FW.

#49 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:08 AM

View Postadamts01, on 30 June 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Your group seal clubbed in CW? Want a cookie?

No, as I said, and I went back and made it real clear the large majority of those groups we ran into were 4mans from other units, but please continue to assume what you would like. I think we ran into at most 5 out of 18 groups that were not 4 mans from mother units. You the event that is going on and stuff...

My point was that most of those unit groups were Running 2+ Griffens and the Deck of 3 novas with 12 Small Lasers and 1 Ice Ferrret with 4 MPLS had 0 issues dealing with any of these situations. With the groups we ran into almost every single scouting match ended up in a brawl and we very ralrely lost more than one mech.

Edited by TKSax, 01 July 2016 - 06:10 AM.

#50 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

If you are complaining about the Griff rescale as a Griff pilot, than I'm afraid you're just finding something to complain about about. It got larger, but not even close to game-changingly so. Especially since organized pilots in CW tend to aim low and chop legs out anyways. In which case, the change is even more minimal. Stormcrow legs are still easier to rip off vs the Griff, and you cannot shield opposite legs quite as easily with reverse knee mechs due to how spindly each leg is. That, and the convergence, clustering, and rate of fire on the quad A-SRM4 2 Flamer Griffs are brutal.

That said, I was more concerned last night with an anti-Clan kill group we ran against. 1 Griff (4xASRM4 and 2 Flamers), 1 Centurion (AC20 and a couple SRMs), and 2 HBK with 2x SRM6 and 4x Flamers each. Working together, the HBKs would heatlock our Clan mechs, while the Griff and Cent would take our kneecaps off. We won, but only because by the time they managed to kill us, we had already legged them and they couldn't make it to the dropship in time. Flamers are extremely hard to counter in Clan mechs due to our heat issues, AC20's are extremely effective in scouting since in the 55 or less tonnage range, 20 PPFLD is absolutely devastating, and IS SRMs cluster way tighter (and, correct me if I am wrong, do slightly more damage per missile) than the Clan equivalents.

It wasn't the mechs that are troublesome. It was the damage tightness disparity between the two techlines that is the problem, there. To which, IS has a lot more access to tighter clustering or outright solid PPFLD ACs, while Clan pilots are forced into lasers or SRMs with worse spread than their IS equivalents.

The extra challenge is good, though. Still managed to win 10 of the 12 matches I was in last night, and my 2-4 man did run against enemy 2-4 mans as well, so it was not seal clubbing for once.

Edit:

Like Derek, I actually find the Stormcrow... bleh. Lacks personality, and so I refuse to pilot it. My scout decks include Novas, Shadow Cats, and Ice Ferrets. I still make it work.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 July 2016 - 07:24 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users