A question to the founders ONLY: Joysticks or Mouse?

105 replies to this topic

Poll: I am a founder and I will use: (441 member(s) have cast votes)

Joystick or Mouse?

1. Joystick (251 votes [51.12%])

Percentage of vote: 51.12%

2. Mouse (240 votes [48.88%])

Percentage of vote: 48.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Pyotr

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

If it's supported, I intend to use both. If I can control the arms semi-independently, I'd love to have them controlled by the mouse, with movement controlled by my joystick (joystick twist for turning and joystick x-y axes controlling the torso). This'd give me the highest degree of control, I feel, so that's what I want.

#82 RoyalWave

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Mouse is more precise.

#83 Uccin

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

+1 for stick

Too much finger hopping in fights to warrant a keyboard/mouse setup for me.

#84 Slaughterama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

In MW4 I tried both joystick and mouse setups and I was better with the mouse but I like the authenticity of playing a simulator with a joystick.

So for fun joystick...

Playing to win mouse...

Just my two cents.

#85 Commie95

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Mouse/KB is what I will use. While joysticks and such are fun for immersion, unless you shell out a large amount of money for ones that include foot pedals and such, you are just gimping yourself way too much. I have an old sidewinder USB joystick and flying the arcade jets in BF3 is about all its good for now.

#86 Muhammad Jesus Kerensky

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

mouse

#87 Gunsmith1

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

I enjoyed the MW3 ability to control mech movement with the joystick and assign torso movement and targeting to the mouse. Pushing forward on the stick increased forward throttle, pulling back moved similarly in reverse. Joystick left and right controlled turning. I assigned the torso lock to mouse button 2 and could then lock the torso wherever I wanted, then could control the crosshairs with the mouse, moving it corner to corner, side to side, up and down on the screen. I put the jump jets on the joystick trigger. I thought it was a very controllable and precise set up. It frustrated me greatly when I could not do that in MW4. I'm hoping a similar setup ability will be in this game.

#88 Vdek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Definitely the mouse, it works well with MWO.

#89 Namikaze

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOver a sinkhole in Florida.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Since this was a checkbox poll and not radio button, I picked both. Because I'll try both and pick what suits me best.

#90 Marthe Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

=\ why rule out non founders?

#91 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostMarthe Pryde, on 18 July 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

=\ why rule out non founders?

It was already addressed by a mod and those responsible were sacked. ;)

View PostRiver McCain, on 17 July 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I think I am going to opt for no KB+M or Jstick, it will be touch screen all the way for me, do you think MWO will support it?

http://www.oneworldt...duct.html?pid=9

the 32" should do well.

Just touch a target and it is shot at, it is the ultimate in twitch. Multiple targets just touch with both hands Pew, Pew, both shot. I am excited. I will dominate all. :ph34r:

I would get a stuffed mallet and play Whack-a-Mech if I had one of those, :P

#92 Wootus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Poststoph, on 16 July 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

I will be play testing both to see which is more effective for me. My intuition tells me that Mouse/keyboard for smaller mechs will be more effective and joystick/keyboard for larger mechs. Anxiously awaiting an opportunity to find out.

Also not a complaint by any means but interesting that the OP is not a founder but wants only founders input.

Thought it would be interesting to see who out of the people who paid money to support the game would be using what. Seeing as how there's so many other threads on the subject but none address this issue. I mean it's kinda like investors. You gotta cater towards who finances your operation, no? :)

View PostWillpower, on 16 July 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

What a terrible, condescending thread topic.

Wow. You already paid a bit of money toward the game so you're somehow more entitled to pointlessly yap about it on the public forums.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going with mouse because I have one. Don't have the other.

Um... I didn't pay any money towards the game yet. Please read carefully before getting so worked up about it and posting hateful words.

View PostIron Harlequin, on 16 July 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

This thread is pointless lol

9 posts and he's setting down the rules of his thread and being elitist/condescending

p.s. I voted just to mess with your count

I fail to see how my post count has anything to do with the quality or validity of my contribution towards the forums. THAT sir, is elitist way of thinking. And condescending? To whom? I am not a founder.

Also, yeah I kinda DO get to set down the rules of my own thread. Isn't that the point? I don't get it.

View PostSinnerX, on 17 July 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I think a better question for this poll is "Did anyone NOT check both options?"

I love check box polls.

You can check both because some people will use both. I didn't expect people to check both just because they CAN check both. That's... not very helpful at all now is it. :P

View PostMajor Tom, on 17 July 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

And to the OP, you do the community a disservice by attempting to divide and segregate.

I was merely interested to see which group are actually going to use joysticks or mice. There's already a lot of threads on the issue but none really address this specific part. Who the founders are are essentially the people who are financing the whole operation. Therefore, those people are the target audience so to speak. They are the ones who should be catered for, as much as you or I may not agree with this, it's true. Just thought it would be interesting to see out of all the people who say "This game is made to be played with XYZ!" who are actually supporting said game. Just an exercise in information gathering. I apologize if it was taken as an attempt to divide and segregate and I do now see how it could be mistaken as doing so. It was not my original intention.

View PostWeird Beard, on 17 July 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

You forgot to put both as an option. When I played MW2 & 3 I used a stick in my left and mouse in my right hand.

You can tick both boxes. :)

Anywho.
Sorry to those who I somehow angered and caused discomfort to. I am new here as they have so elegantly pointed out and as such do not understand the full nature of these forums yet. It is my understanding that forums are a place for discussion, thought sharing and fun. But I now see some people aren't into that.

To those few sour grapes: Thanks for making me seem so welcomed /sarcasm.

And a sincere thanks for those who joined in peacefully and lightheartedly (as was how I thought most people would) I appreciate it :)

#93 Chesko

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Stick all the way.

#94 WashCycle

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Mouse to start, would like to try the joystick, but I can't justify 50-100 dollars for hardware for only one game.

#95 xTgondii

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationPasárgada

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Will go with Razer Naga + generic keyboard....
Hate to use joyspads....

#96 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I know it's not going to be as good, but I'm going to play this with a joystick. Two if possible...

To me, anything else is like trying to play a flightsim with a keyboard. It'll work, but it just won't feel right.

#97 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostWashCycle, on 18 July 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

Mouse to start, would like to try the joystick, but I can't justify 50-100 dollars for hardware for only one game.

Who says it has to be for one game? :) Good excuse to start trying some new Genres. May I recommend the DCS series, you can get em on Steam... that is of course, if you have any money left over after giving Piranha all your money :)

#98 The Trice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

It depends on the control scheme of the game if its like MW4 then a joystick is the way to go as the keyboard will be met with a lot of difficulties , but if they changed it to be played with keyboard and a mouse then sadly i will leave my Logitech 3d pro behind , since Mouse provides better accuracy.
And for all the haters about your topic , Those guys do really have serious problems , and think they own the game or are right in their opinions just by large number of posts or taking the forum talk to seriously ( which proves in both cases that they have serious Nerds problems)
Keep it up , and see you in the game , and also nice replying to this hateful bunch :P

Edited by TheTrice, 22 July 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#99 Aeryk Corsaer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I will use the joystick for one major reason...I only have one hand so the multiple axis control of 'Mech warfare is more easily handled by a joystick with twist capability. My left prosthesis is capable of pressing a button (using cursor arrows especially) or throttle changes. Wish I had a connection like Justin Xiang Allard had for his prosthesis - that would be cool. Piranha, you up for some PR and getting one made?

#100 SprayAnd Pray

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationBremerton, WA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Since I got my start in battle mech games playing Virtual World, it will be Joystick for me. I have a TM Warthog standing by for use with the game.
I will try out Track IR with it, too, for looking around.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users