How Many Of You Are "whales" In This Game And Have You Stopped Spending?

Social

136 replies to this topic

#121 Hit Mech

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

I was a PGI whale with well past $1000 over the past 3 years with 2 accounts. Over time I found myself ether scratching my head or just getting totally pissed at the bone-headed moves Russ/Paul/PGI have been pulling. But after the nerf patch just before the Steam release, basically screwing PGI's old customers and loyal player base in favor of new Steam players, I cancelled my Origins pack and closed my whale wallet for good. Nothing but F2P and c-bills from now on. Also got sick of the bait-and-switch mech nerfing. So now I wait for the c-bill versions, if they are still any good.

Edited by Hit Mech, 10 July 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#122 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostHit Mech, on 10 July 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

I was a PGI whale with well past $1000 over the past 3 years with 2 accounts. Over time I found myself ether scratching my head or just getting totally pissed at the bone-headed moves Russ/Paul/PGI have been pulling. But after the nerf patch just before the Steam release, basically screwing PGI's old customers and loyal player base in favor of new Steam players, I cancelled my Origins pack and closed my whale wallet for good. Nothing but F2P and c-bills from now on. Also got sick of the bait-and-switch mech nerfing. So now I wait for the c-bill versions, if they are still any good.

I'm tired of the we are going to add this and this and we get a mini map update and loot boxes...

WHO THE F*** ASKED FOR THOSE? WHO?

#123 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

I got the viper, and the why? I find this game fun and enjoyable especially when playing with my Clan. Also I am more than optimistic about games of this nature, the fact that the improvement never stops and eventually the game gets closer to something that is better than it was a year ago.

#124 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

View PostImperius, on 10 July 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'm tired of the we are going to add this and this and we get a mini map update and loot boxes...

The mini map was needed I guess because of the comm wheel and maybe other things. It is also a great update to what was in game. Yes its not a huge entirely new feature though.

Loot is a good thing in this game if its anything new.

I got my complaints to, but I not complaining about good updates to the game.

#125 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

View PostImperius, on 10 July 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

becuase with no context at all they only added a mini map and loot boxes in the last six months.

#126 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

I have stopped whaling since last March. That was also my last games on MWO as well. Since then my money has went to buying a bunch of premium ships in WoWs, premium tanks on AW, and one tank in War Thunder. I tend to think that maybe my last purchase on War Thunder though.

I still check the forums once in a while for MWO news, out of force of habit, and perhaps still looking for a tiny glimmer of hope in the game.

Before my last pack, I bought every pack in MWO save the Urbanmech. I ordered, then cancelled my Kodiak pack. Money went to buying somethings else on other games, the USS Saipan, the USS Texas, the USS Indianapolis, the Russian cruiser Molotov, then lately the USS Arizona, and now saving up for the German battleship Scharnhorst and the French battlecruiser Dunkerque.

The Cyclops, the Viper, the Linebacker and the Night Gyr all looks interesting. I would have bought them if I were currently playing MWO.

#127 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Sorry but what do you mean by "Whales" and why Whales? Why can't it be something cute like Rabbits or Cats

Edited by Beaching Betty, 10 July 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#128 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 10 July 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

I own every mech pak, all the clan invasion packs, all the IS resistance packs, I literally bought every last thing PGI released except for a Founders package, and phoenix packs.

So I am with those and with my MC purchases alone at 1525 (just did the math) dollars into this game. Oh and I bought the tournament pack as well so add another 10.

I have also bought around 100 dollars in gifts for friends, so...

Yeah. The only thing I didn't buy from PGI was a Khan package (should have gotten a Timber Wolf Gold while they were there *sniff*).

Did you stop spending?

#129 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 10 July 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

... I said I have EVERY mech pak... that does include Linebacker... so no I didn't.

Or a kahn pack ;) but whatever I just wanted to clarify a lot of people go I bought every mech pack except this one or blah blah.

#130 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 10 July 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

yeah just couldn't afford a khan pack when they were out... and when I could my timby's were gone... now I will be eternally sad. But not really lol.

They ****** up my gold dire, so woot, now the one mech I played has a cheap .25 cent collar on it. Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 10 July 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#131 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostAppogee, on 08 July 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

Yes, whale. (150 Mechs, many packs.)

Yes, I stopped spending this year except for Kodiak.

Reason:

The Eve-like immersive metagame that I always hoped for has not transpired, and I no longer hold out any hope that it will. Faction Play is just quick play with 4 respawns. There remains no real incentive to take planets, defend the inner sphere, or beat another faction. It doesn't matter how much money is in your coffer, there are no strategic considerations such as logistics, supply lines, which planetary assets to go after ... or any of the other things that would make a metagame actually interesting enough to want to keep playing.

Worse, PGI are clearly unwilling to tackle the imbalances created by a couple of mega-units, and the endless stomps caused by a compete lack of matchmaking. These are fundamental game design issues and the single biggest reason why FP is usually a desert.

I have reluctantly concluded that I have to stop spending money on Mech Packs to send a message to PGI about addressing these significant issues.

View PostAnjian, on 10 July 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

I have stopped whaling since last March. That was also my last games on MWO as well. Since then my money has went to buying a bunch of premium ships in WoWs, premium tanks on AW, and one tank in War Thunder. I tend to think that maybe my last purchase on War Thunder though.

I am a WHALE, having spent over $2000 Canadian. I missed the Founders program by about a month - so that gives everyone the idea how long I have been around. I vowed the last Clan Pack to purchase was T3 of Wave 3 - which pretty much gives everything I wanted (plus I did receive the bonus Vulture). For InnerSphere it has been the Archer Package. Full details of purchases - see my Signature.

But as it stands my wallet is closed.

What turned me off - game frustration due to Match Maker changes (as MM expects me to carry the team - when I am only an average player), and Map and Mode Voting (keep it random like in World of Warships). I find myself playing World of Warships far more often than MWO.

The quirk system and especially the module system which contributes to some of the balance problems.

True, power creep is hard to deal with in any game - the pin point firing mechanic is what really compounds the problem.

Community/Faction Warfare is literally an afterthought - it has no meaning. What is the point of belonging to a faction?

And the lack of, well immersion - everything from in game background histories about mech variants to certain elements of warfare (active and passive sensors). The funny thing is Earth Siege - a mech (well HERC) game from waaay back when had these elements.

What I have noticed is that this game has been stuck for a looong time. While the quick chat aka command wheel was a needed addition - that took nearly 2 years to add.

Will my wallet open again - that is a really big maybe.

Edited by Simbacca, 10 July 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#132 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:16 PM

View PostImperius, on 10 July 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

They ****** up my gold dire, so woot, now the one mech I played has a cheap .25 cent collar on it. Posted Image

Its gonna be fixed next patch.
The texture artist herself confirmed it specifically.

Also, another thing that is going to get fixed is the washed up stripe colors on the TBR-Prime(I).

Edited by Navid A1, 10 July 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#133 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 10 July 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Its gonna be fixed next patch.
The texture artist herself confirmed it specifically.

Also, another thing that is going to get fixed is the washed up stripe colors on the TBR-Prime(I).

Thanks for letting me know as I said I have removed all updates from MWO. So if I get really bored as in all anime watched, current games played and all my pre-legion stuff is done I come visit the forums.

What about the low resolution caution tape on the King Crab claws?

#134 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:12 AM

I do not dare calculate if my spendings are just below or just $1000 (probably over) but now I am at a full stop.

Patch day was exiting at first, indifferent later. Now, I hope they won't make it worse. So far, so bad. At first I didn't mind that more than half the mechs in Wave I were DOA. Or that half the mechs in Wave II were DOA. Or that the clan mechs in Wave III were DOA. Or that half the mechs in Resistance I were DOA. Or that the Archer was DOA. Because I enjoyed supporting the game.

The CW Phase III with the Long Tom shattered my confidence in MWO; the mappening ground my shatters into dust. Both show a complete dissociation of PGI with their game and are, simply put, a PR disaster. Perhaps the game will be better soon but soon means we will first have crates and the decision to implement crates is unfathomable; it is the Jar Jar Binks of MWO.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 11 July 2016 - 05:21 AM.

#135 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

I am over the 1k mark, so I guess I am.

Kodiak was the last pre-order mech package I bought and it will remain that way until I see what happens with some of the changes planned like the energy drain/ heat scale rework.

I have to be honest that I really like the core premise of the game and appreciate the development of it. I am not even a BattleTech guy at all but I had played some previous Mech Warrior titles.

My issue is the devs apparent disconnect from their own game. They do not even play it at a high level of understanding and it is their own game! The heavy handed changes and balance issues highlight what I can only explain as a lack of understanding at this point. An ongoing issue that everyone is pretty burnt out talking about. It is like they get things in a relatively decent spot but then arbitrarily throw it out the window to start over.

Another example, if the devs played more they instantly would recognize the issues with that mini map change they made. It was so glaringly bad and I not sure I have seen a bigger consensus of the player base before. Even one step further, who even pushed for that change and why waste the resources when it was a non issue (esp. considering the limited resources they have and remind us of).

Maps! We need more of them and why not leave in some of the old maps as well.. Old Frozen, old Forest, etc offered a smaller more brawl type of fight that would be nice to mix up the new large maps. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought they said they would be able to produce maps quicker as we go since they can reuse map resources instead of create everything from scratch.

I could go on for days, like most people, but in the end it seems the game is stagnating into the cycle of 'dartboard' rebalancing or convoluted mechanics and mech packs. The new player experience got some attention but it could use more I suspect. Advertising is non existent outside of it being on Steam. CW/FW/FP phase 3 fell a bit flat and needs more attention. Solaris is still MIA. Maps!

I really hope the dev team reaches out to some outside consultants or something to give them some new ideas or perspective. This game has tons of potential and I dont want to stop playing! It needs some fresh eyes on balance and content push other than just mech packs!

Edited by DarthPeanut, 11 July 2016 - 09:21 AM.

#136 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

I used to spend more on this game buying many of the early non clan packs. My last purchases were the low tier Marauder and Warhammer packs. After that I really don't see any more content in this game that will be worth actually buying with real money. I considered the Phoenix Hawk but with my gaming rig down for a while it didn't seem worth it. Now that all the worth it unseens have been released, what more can they do? After the Cyclops and Phoenix Hawk, many of these mechs will be quite obscure unless you're a clan completionist.

-k

#137 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

Yes - releasing DoA mechs that simply don't live up to the hype has killed a lot of my desire. I know they shouldn't (ever) be pay to win but without a reason to pilot them in the first place what is the point?

That said, I don't have a lot of free time so mostly buy the packs for the advance bonus.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users