A Bit At A Loss Here.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

After years of lone wolfing in quickplay (except a short PUG test of CW Phase 1) I finally got around to trying the game in a Group in Faction Play. It is so different (in terms of better). A drop caller calls the startegy, the match is 30 minutes of back and forth (for Invasion), the game modes are asynchronous (like assault should be since beta), the maps I've seen are fun and offer different approaches.

In short: FP is so much a better Version of the game than QP that I wonder why it struggles to get matches going.

I highly recommend to everyone who didn't try yet to look for a TS Server of his desired faction hop on there and see if someone's getting FP going. You will have loads of fun.

#2 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

The wait time for empty drops destroys any desire of mine to play FW. Three nights. 6 empty drops. 1 actual drop. So 3ish hours wasted. I make more on a decent QP match with Premium Time active then I get for 15-20 min of sitting and hoping we get a real drop, then having none happen.

#3 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 09 July 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

The wait time for empty drops destroys any desire of mine to play FW. Three nights. 6 empty drops. 1 actual drop. So 3ish hours wasted. I make more on a decent QP match with Premium Time active then I get for 15-20 min of sitting and hoping we get a real drop, then having none happen.

I totally get that. If that is the main reason though, maybe PGI should screw lore and really reduce FP to just two or four active war parties at a time by forging alliances that fight together to increase the pool of available players per match.

#4 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 09 July 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I totally get that. If that is the main reason though, maybe PGI should screw lore and really reduce FP to just two or four active war parties at a time by forging alliances that fight together to increase the pool of available players per match.

Having the playerbase divided by each faction plus only having one attack planet and one defend planet seems to be worse for finding matches than it was before. In CJF at least I find I never get a call to arms popup.

#5 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

There is just one problem that stops me from playing FW. The maps. Those FW maps all have bottlenecks. No real opportunity for a fast mech to get on the flank and harrass.
Believe me i tried when CW was first introduced (yup. I said CW). Played about 10 CW matches and never came back.

Boring slugging matches. Less than half the map is used because everyone is focused on the bottlenecks.
Even if i get past the bottleneck undetected to perform ambushes i got nowhere to go. Deeper into enemy territory i meet the reinforcements and the dropships.
Even if i get over the walls and into my own territory undamaged i can never do it again because the enemy will expect it.
And getting past the bottleneck in any direction undetected is...a rarity to say the least.

I've heard the Long Tom was not well received either...

#6 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 09 July 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

After years of lone wolfing in quickplay (except a short PUG test of CW Phase 1) I finally got around to trying the game in a Group in Faction Play. It is so different (in terms of better). A drop caller calls the startegy, the match is 30 minutes of back and forth (for Invasion), the game modes are asynchronous (like assault should be since beta), the maps I've seen are fun and offer different approaches.

In short: FP is so much a better Version of the game than QP that I wonder why it struggles to get matches going.

I highly recommend to everyone who didn't try yet to look for a TS Server of his desired faction hop on there and see if someone's getting FP going. You will have loads of fun.

I strongly disagree. My experience of playing Community Warfare has been continually dropping, as PUGs, versus organised 12-man teams.

Not a happy experience at all.

The maps are completely devoid of interesting strategy anyway, it's just whoever can deathball the best.

Edited by Yosharian, 09 July 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#7 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostYosharian, on 09 July 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

I strongly disagree. My experience of playing Community Warfare has been continually dropping, as PUGs, versus organised 12-man teams.

Not a happy experience at all.

The maps are completely devoid of interesting strategy anyway, it's just whoever can deathball the best.

It's not even a deathball. It's more like a lot peeking around a corner at the bottleneck untill the luckiest team gets a small advantage. Then they storm forward and commit slaughter.
Really boring.

#8 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

FP matches can last 30 minutes and the wait times to actually finally drop in the match make QP waits seem almost instant. Essentially you can get in at least 3 matches of QP, possibly 4 for 1 FP. When you have limited time, the ability to play a few matches is very appealing. I can't always count on having ~40 minutes total to dedicate to a FP match.

I do like the unique maps and wish they would bring them over to QP. The other thing I like is the limited respawn. Wish they would bring an unlimited respawn to QP.

Edited by Coolant, 09 July 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

Would enjoy the FW more if the maps are less chokepoint heavy, and LT is removed, or at least nerfed.

#10 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

This is what I liked about SWOL when I was in it. They were very accessible. They didn't make me feel strongly obligated to participate, but they would send that group invite to everyone online. Having a large number of members was great. You have a pool of people to frequently play together with, and can fill it in as needed with anybody in the unit who just happens to be online. Still, even with 400 members (less in active members, btw) it is a smaller pool of players than say, everyone in the entire game. Even if that did mean a lot of disparity among player skill in the unit, I think it is for the better in the end. They were really gracious with getting new players in the door with CW and just trying to have a good time playing as a team.

I feel like a lot of players are turned off from it because "participating" in a unit full of hardcore members just seems too stressful. Really, it's mostly regular people who are playing together with other people, and eventually through frequently playing together enough, become effective as a team.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users