Cold Turkey: Remove All The Quirks

295 replies to this topic

#261 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

But we need lpl quirks on marauders, we just replace the ppcs with lpl anyway... Oh, the angry glare.
I'll just see myself out then.

#262 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

Tiersystem with Timelines ,give low Tiers only 3025 tech, medium tiers the 3050er Tech ! like other Warfare Games ,give MWO Roleplaying Warfare, thats not Big stompy Robot like Robocraft or HAWKEN ,thats asymetric Warfare with different vehicles and roles for it ...Humvees against T92, Jeeps against Bradleys.M 109 against Katjushas, grant WKiI against Leo 2

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 20 July 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#263 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 18 July 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

1) Remove all Quirks

2) Lobbies that allow a bidding system. If you want to drop 12 clan vs 12 IS then the reward for the clans needs to small to none. Each mech removed aka via the bid in the lobby gives a bonus. You say clans are OP? Fine prove it with a 12 vs 10, 8 or even more.

In our extensive tests before quirk era in Stock Mode, best balance was around 5v8, so that would be 10v16.
There was some tests that we made for PGI 10v12 in full custom of course and that was just fine as well.

Soon you guys will have unquirk button in privet so you all will be able to test it.
Just disabling quirks in current state of things is just madness. Is like you don`t remember how ridicule OP clan was when first time introduced. Unless you will start to think in the same time about some Stock Mode and (or) asymmetrical balance settings.

#264 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:09 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 20 July 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

Tiersystem with Timelines ,give low Tiers only 3025 tech, medium tiers the 3050er Tech ! like other Warfare Games ,give MWO Roleplaying Warfare, thats not Big stompy Robot like Robocraft or HAWKEN ,thats asymetric Warfare with different vehicles and roles for it ...Humvees against T92, Jeeps against Bradleys.M 109 against Katjushas, grant WKiI against Leo 2

And that`s in Stock? I`m all for it.

Other games do not sport mechlab like we got here, they are all played basically Stock.

#265 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:30 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 19 July 2016 - 05:24 AM, said:

Name one asymmetric multiplayer FPS shooter that is successful. Ideally one without re-spawns.

MBII is best example. This game is a live like for 15 years now? And still got faith full fans. In this game you can play one live Jedi or 3 live common soldier. And all play smooth and nice.
From more fresh ones, you can find plenty asymmetrical games on Steam. This about Sharks, Evolve, Natural Selection, there is one where one player play ghost and rest are visitors in haunted home. Well there are some more that don`t really remember.

#266 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:23 AM

quirks are really just a distraction. make people think they are so bogged down with balance that they dont notice that pgi is actively trying to hide that it has no intention of doing anything meaningful with the game in the future. "zomg mah quirks omg omg omg screw that the game is going down hill just fix mah quirks!"

Edited by LordNothing, 20 July 2016 - 04:24 AM.

#267 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 20 July 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

And that`s in Stock? I`m all for it.

Other games do not sport mechlab like we got here, they are all played basically Stock.

For FW is Stock the best way , give only Assault groups of the clans the Omni mechs, Planets holdiung from clantroops have second line and IIC mechs , give logistic,Travell and Healthtimes...in War thudner , you can not fly as US American with a Zero over the Normandy ,or as German with a Me 109 over iwo Jima or in the Korea War Time..Mechlab is cool for Solaris and Arcade Modus

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 20 July 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#268 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 19 July 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Because in lore, the 5D carries ER PPCs and it differentiates the 'Mech from the 3R, which carries normal PPCs.

The 5D also carries Medium Pulse Lasers in place of the 3R's Medium Lasers, a Large Pulse Laser in place of the 3R's autocannon, and adds a Streak missile launcher.
IMO, the latter two were more differentiating than the switch from standard PPCs to ER-PPCs (a very common 3050 upgrade for many PPC-weilding 'Mechs, including the MADs), or the switch from standard Medium Lasers to Medium Pulse Lasers.

Like Bishop, I'd rather see quirks used to bring more lore-based flavor to the 'Mechs - the MADs' lore describes how "the Marauder's unique, more-versatile ball-and-socket joints provided a faster traverse rate and superior field of fire", which arguably could/should translate into quirks yielding varying degrees of wider arm yaw/pitch ranges & faster arm yaw/pitch speeds.
Likewise, the MAD's "Dalban Micronics communications system" is said to be sophisticated & capable enough to alow the 'Mech to act as a command vehicle - which implies the appropriateness of some infotech-related quirks (similar in nature to the "B-2000 Battle Computer" quirks for the Cyclops, but much less in degree).

Then again, I'm also one who wouldn't mind negative quirks that fit the lore. With the Marauder again as an example, the lore describes the GM Whirlwind as "temperamental" and "added almost as an afterthought", which implies quirks that would result in UAC-like jamming for any autocannons installed on a MAD.
Likewise, the rotation ring linking the MAD's main body to the legs is said to be particularly vulnerable, to the point that many MAD pilots started adding improvised armor around it - which implies the appropriateness of some negative structure quirks applied to the CT (possibly partially offset by some positive armor quirks applied to the CT, to represent the makeshift armor).

#269 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 20 July 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

The 5D also carries Medium Pulse Lasers in place of the 3R's Medium Lasers, a Large Pulse Laser in place of the 3R's autocannon, and adds a Streak missile launcher.
IMO, the latter two were more differentiating than the switch from standard PPCs to ER-PPCs (a very common 3050 upgrade for many PPC-weilding 'Mechs, including the MADs), or the switch from standard Medium Lasers to Medium Pulse Lasers.

Like Bishop, I'd rather see quirks used to bring more lore-based flavor to the 'Mechs - the MADs' lore describes how "the Marauder's unique, more-versatile ball-and-socket joints provided a faster traverse rate and superior field of fire", which arguably could/should translate into quirks yielding varying degrees of wider arm yaw/pitch ranges & faster arm yaw/pitch speeds.
Likewise, the MAD's "Dalban Micronics communications system" is said to be sophisticated & capable enough to alow the 'Mech to act as a command vehicle - which implies the appropriateness of some infotech-related quirks (similar in nature to the "B-2000 Battle Computer" quirks for the Cyclops, but much less in degree).

Then again, I'm also one who wouldn't mind negative quirks that fit the lore. With the Marauder again as an example, the lore describes the GM Whirlwind as "temperamental" and "added almost as an afterthought", which implies quirks that would result in UAC-like jamming for any autocannons installed on a MAD.
Likewise, the rotation ring linking the MAD's main body to the legs is said to be particularly vulnerable, to the point that many MAD pilots started adding improvised armor around it - which implies the appropriateness of some negative structure quirks applied to the CT (possibly partially offset by some positive armor quirks applied to the CT, to represent the makeshift armor).

Oh my, could you imagine the crap storm that lore correct NEGATIVE traits would incur?

Mind you, I'm all for it, but the Tryhard FPS shooter crowd would soil themselves in nerdrage.

#270 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostFrosty Brand, on 19 July 2016 - 10:03 PM, said:

But we need lpl quirks on marauders, we just replace the ppcs with lpl anyway... Oh, the angry glare.
I'll just see myself out then.

But that is a legit problem. Currently between it's extra damage, range and damage fall off the LPL deals comparable damage to a PPC at the PPC's optimal range for less heat, with a better rate of fire and and for the same tonnage. That's BONKERS!

LPLs are in a good place and nerfing them would require a nerf of all lasers across the board. I would suggest that, instead, we up the range and velocity of of all PPCs. PPCs should compete with ERLLs and ERPPCs should compete with Gauss for range. Now since lasers have already had their damage increased I would also suggest we increase the damage of IS PPCs to 12 (with no splash) and then adjust the damage of clan PPCs so that they deal 13 pinpoint and then 1 damage to each adjacent component.

Lastly, I would suggest the minimum distance of the PPC have it's damage fall off restored so it still deals damage inside of it's minimum range (with a minimum of 4 damage when at around 20m).

#271 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Oh my, could you imagine the crap storm that lore correct NEGATIVE traits would incur?

Mind you, I'm all for it, but the Tryhard FPS shooter crowd would soil themselves in nerdrage.

Then, let them soil themselves, I say! ;)

#272 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

Any input from pgi on this? Also, it seems this thread keeps getting buried. Have to search to find it. Tinfoil hat? If anyone has hands from the community, my vote would be for Bishop and Koniving. Someone outside pgi that has lore knowledge but can see what we are aiming for. I have said it before, I love this game. I have spent so much $ and time. I WANT it to succeed. I HATE this game. Toxic community. Pgi crafted non lore implementation. Etc. When will enough be enough? Please please please. Make MechWarrior great again. Yes We Can!

Edited by HammerMaster, 20 July 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#273 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 20 July 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Any input from pgi on this? Also, it seems this thread keeps getting buried. Have to search to find it. Tinfoil hat? If anyone has hands from the community, my vote would be for Bishop and Koniving. Someone outside pgi that has lore knowledge but can see what we are aiming for. I have said it before, I love this game. I have spent so much $ and time. I WANT it to succeed. I HATE this game. Toxic community. Pgi crafted non lore implementation. Etc. When will enough be enough? Please please please. Make MechWarrior great again. Yes We Can!

If I were to magically have the power, I'd probably make it a point to consult Strum and Kon, but also someone like Quicksilver or Jman from the comp community. The Idea would be to craft as close to lore correct experience as possible, then vet it against Comp FPS realities, and see if we could find compromises that work for both. I'd probably drive the poor competitive guys crazy though, because first and foremost this is supposed to be a Battletech game.

Sadly, it's really anything but, any more. Posted Image

People wonder why I put Hearts on my Kodiak and Lips on my Summoners butt? Because this game is just a big freaking circus now. Why should I take it seriously when PGI obviously doesn't?

#274 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

People wonder why I put Hearts on my Kodiak and Lips on my Summoners butt? Because this game is just a big freaking circus now. Why should I take it seriously when PGI obviously doesn't?

And cue "if its already a circus does that mean we can have Quads" comments by Judas...

#275 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 July 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

And cue "if its already a circus does that mean we can have Quads" comments by Judas...

To be fair, it is a bit disappointing that quads aren't a thing in this game, that was one of the things I was looking forward to when the MW5 trailer hit coming from MW4, along with the ability to finally switch ammo.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 20 July 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#276 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

Since we are on the roll back. Lets roll back to 3039! Oh now thats the sweetspot. Clan v clan for all the clan tech you own. No clan v is balance rubbish.

#277 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'm with the OP.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 July 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

Nuke all the quirks.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 20 July 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

You're hyping me up. Which means I'll only be let down again. Posted Image

View PostTom Sawyer, on 18 July 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

1) Remove all Quirks

2) Lobbies that allow a bidding system. If you want to drop 12 clan vs 12 IS then the reward for the clans needs to small to none. Each mech removed aka via the bid in the lobby gives a bonus. You say clans are OP? Fine prove it with a 12 vs 10, 8 or even more.

2) would be interesting to see.

Edit: Before anyone brings my loyalties up: I don't give a damn whether or not the Clans would gain the upper hand, I just prefer the Clans over any of the houses. And I'd love to see asymmetrical numbers.

Edited by Red Shrike, 20 July 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#278 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Buried again.

#279 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 July 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

Though there is less to fix about them given the current meta. cERPPs are surprisingly strong currently.

Thats more a matter of mech power creep (kdk3) and nerfing all the competition. From the rescale up of most the good IS mechs and the dequirkening all the things that made PPCs an inferior choice have been scaled back.

If the IS LPL got even a moderate nerf I'd be back to IS ppcs too.

#280 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 July 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Thats more a matter of mech power creep (kdk3) and nerfing all the competition.

It's not just Kodiaks, Timbies have been running them for a while and now Hunchbacks with ERPPCs have started to pop up.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 20 July 2016 - 05:41 PM.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users