Decals Need An Off Switch

304 replies to this topic

#41 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I want an on off switch, at least until the quality of the decals is worth looking at. I make better art in MS Paint. I know PGI is more than capable of giving worth while decals, but these are not those decals. I'm even fine with smiles and kisses and other items I personally don't think I'd use, but not like this, not til they don't look like a bad band-aid on the mech.

#42 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

also.. THIS is legit Canon Battletech

but hey...REAL militaries never paint silly things on their vehicles....

oops...never mind

Yeah... you seem to have forgot that looks was one of the last things this game had.. . What do you think alex is doing?... why PGI keeps him around if cheesy BT art are acceptable?

And for real military. Show me ones with decals over cockpit... or something that covers half of the body.

#43 ICANHASCHZBURGER

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

I would pay more to put decals on opposing mechs. Use narc as a starting point to make a decal-shooting launcher. The decals stay on until the mech is destroyed.

#44 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

View Post627, on 19 July 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

I'm really glad that we can finally add house and unit symbols. Beside those jerky dickbutt deckles this system opens some customization we demanded since the beginning of the game. And lore mechwarriors were not that serious like our tryhard leet esport gamerz... or at least forum warriors.

So many things to complain in this game and people chose deckles for the fight Posted Image

esports > lore > fun

cater the 1%.

I can't wait for palyer submitted decals, and yes soem people do childish things but thats nature nd it will also stop after a while when they went wild with it. But even then it is like that even in RL, so people complain about the immersion added. and about the BT added. Just soem salty snowflakes again.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Yeah... you seem to have forgot that looks was one of the last things this game had.. . What do you think alex is doing?... why PGI keeps him around if cheesy BT art are acceptable?

And for real military. Show me ones with decals over cockpit... or something that covers half of the body.

may take a bit to find stuff that covers the canopy as that is pretty new, but
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

are those deployment colors? Nope.

But I guess Phranken and Cobra and Plaid Paintjobs are acceptable but silly decals (which are militarily appropriate) are not?

#46 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

I see no reason why anyone should object to letting people disable decals.

There's one thing about the video gaming community as a whole that never ceases to amaze me. You'll see people b*tching because a certain mech doesn't have the right curvature on the arms or the exact right angle in the way the knees bend or the size of its head, because robot art is really, really serious business... and you'll see the same people paint a huge green c*ck on the chest of their pink Atlas or lips on their crotch, because that's so funny.

It's the same in every game, really. You see people in WoW who just want to look like pirates with light sabers, you see people in Star Wars: TOR who just want to look like pimps from the 60's with clown masks. I just don't get it. If you enjoy the aesthetic of a universe, why wouldn't you want to stick to that aesthetic?

And I know Battletech / TT has a lot of goofy stuff, almost every sci-fi / fantasy universe has some goofy stuff for the neckbeards to giggle at. "Oh, viking dwarves in space on motorcycles with laser guns? That's hilarious!" But I just can't get into it. If I want that kind of humour, I'll go play Overwatch or Team Fortress 2.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 July 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

There's one thing about the video gaming community as a whole that never ceases to amaze me. You'll see people b*tching because a certain mech doesn't have the right curvature on the arms or the exact right angle in the way the knees bend or the size of its head, because robot art is really, really serious business... and you'll see the same people paint a huge green c*ck on the chest of their pink Atlas or lips on their crotch, because that's so funny.

It's the same in every game, really. You see people in WoW who just want to look like pirates with light sabers, you see people in Star Wars: TOR who just want to look like pimps from the 60's with clown masks. I just don't get it. If you enjoy the aesthetic of a universe, why wouldn't you want to stick to that aesthetic?

And I know Battletech / TT has a lot of goofy stuff, almost every sci-fi / fantasy universe has some goofy stuff for the neckbeards to giggle at. "Oh, viking dwarves in space on motorcycles with laser guns? That's hilarious!" But I just can't get into it. If I want that kind of humour, I'll go play Overwatch or Team Fortress 2.

some of us realyl could care less if they can disable it. I just reserve the right to mock the reasonings when they are silly.

#48 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

I think the bigger point the pro-decal movement is missing is at least the tiger stripes on the F-18 look like they're a part of the mech. Until the decals catch light correctly, etc... there needs to be an off switch.

#49 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

But I guess Phranken and Cobra and Plaid Paintjobs are acceptable but silly decals (which are militarily appropriate) are not?

evertyhing is acceptable that makes me happy,

evertyhing that makes me not happy is unacceptable and needs a fix

-- Regular gamers opinion

Honestly bishop, when have you seen most fo these salty threads beeing around facts and objective comparisons?

if PGI would allow disablign of decals, they should also allow disabling camo's. any other demand is just objectively invalid.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 July 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

so you quit mechwarrior now? because that is the BT universe.

Edited by Lily from animove, 19 July 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#50 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

some of us realyl could care less if they can disable it. I just reserve the right to mock the reasonings when they are silly.

And I'm sure people in both camps could care less if they're being mocked by strangers on the internet about their robot aesthetic preferences.

#51 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted Image

think you should show off the M46 "Rippa" Pattons from the Korean war. They had Tigers pained on their front half.

That was a deployed military camo.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 19 July 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#52 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

View PostBelacose, on 19 July 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

lol

people demanded these things for ages and then upon arrival no doubt the little girls complain.

Those "people" assumed this implementation would be decent, and conform to proper lighting, shading, etc... Those "people" you're generalizing were told nothing about what kinds of decals would be in this game, and probably (wrongfully) assumed the decals would be mildly related to the theme of the game, not kissy faces and smiley faces. The implementation of decals as they are now looks like something an amateur would do.

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

People demanded decals such as unit insignias, numbers, and shapes to put on their mechs in a classy way.

They did not asked for huge smileys over cockpit windowsand gun barrels

Thank you, you understand the complaint being made

View PostBelacose, on 19 July 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Just report people in game with vulgar decals the same as one might do with vulgar user names.

Other than that I love the new decals. They're put on mechs for others to see as we ourselves can't view our own decals from within the cockpit. So, chill out!

That is the not the issue OP is talking about, vulgar decals are covered by TOS and will get people banned or penalized, we are talking about something different

#53 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

Steiner without the BalkenKreuze seems a bit off.

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 July 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

And I'm sure people in both camps could care less if they're being mocked by strangers on the internet about their robot aesthetic preferences.

judging by the reactions....less so that you'd think. It's certainly more entertaining than the game is these days.

#55 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Posted Image

Those are some nice semi-serious art works.

None of them are goofy... unlike mwo atm.

#56 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 19 July 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

think you should show off the M46 "Rippa" Pattons from the Korean war. They had Tigers pained on their front half.

That was a deployed military camo.

good call. My Korean War armor knowledge is limited, so didn't know about those (always more interested in the MiGs of the era....)
Posted Image

View PostNavid A1, on 19 July 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Those are some nice semi-serious art works.

None of them are goofy... unlike mwo atm.

goofy is in the eye of the beholder... and I already showed goofy nose art from WWII

#57 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

goofy is in the eye of the beholder... and I already showed goofy nose art from WWII

They won't stop, they will continue the saltiness until PGI will change somthing and implement an "off switch" The current feature gain is just salt driven.

Edited by Lily from animove, 19 July 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#58 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

bunch of whiny girls. please continue. :)

#59 TechChris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Midwest, I think??? Dang "Drinkin Man's" Shooter bad for my memory! ^_^

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

Dear God....never did I think I'd see the day I'd agree with Sader!!!!!!!
Surely the end times are upon us!!!!!!!!

But alas.....I actually do *trips on own tongue and stutters a sec trying not to choke on it* agree.........*coughs*....... with Sader about them darn decals, but only to a point!

That point being the how you can place them to obscure the cockpit and hard points! I'm rather found of being able to identify my targets head hitbox if needed, and what he/she is armed with at a glance with out needing the paperdoll/wait til they fire, if I so desire to spare myself that split second more of exposure to the enemy to get such.

Past that.....couldn't care less. People wanna make there mech "ugly" or make it even easier to visually aquire it as a target, then by all means go right the hell ahead, it's there mech.
Wanna layer decals into whatever the most "offensive" image you can is? Go right the **** ahead, I ain't that easily offended and my sense of humor sure as hell ain't getting me into heaven!Posted Image

It's only the "masking effect" they give cause of there **** poor quality that bugs me......SO YES PGI! I TOO WOULD LIKE AN OPTION IN GRAPHICS SETTING TO NOT RENDER DECALS ON MY CLIENT!

Edited by TechChris, 19 July 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#60 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostCrimson Angel, on 19 July 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

[Redacted]
omg I want dickle!

Edited by draiocht, 19 July 2016 - 04:12 PM.
Quote Clean-Up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users