#21 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostChuck Jager, on 20 July 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

If you do or do not like this you are welcome to buy the rights. Otherwise live with the outcome.

Sure thing. Will you raise 25M USD? I know a few people who can do this better. Posted Image

On second thought, make that 50M USD. They ain't cheap.

View PostChuck Jager, on 20 July 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

Vote Trump for trite capitalism and over used sayings with really bad hair and a stupid wife.

And lose the possibility of him not unleashing Armageddon? Nope. I await with bated breath. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 25 October 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#22 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostKai Lui, on 25 October 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

sorry guys..... http://battletechgame.com/

Microsoft and found of FASA are makeing that....

H.B.S have the rights to make turn based games only, P.G.I the FPS, though Microsoft own them, Catalyst Games Lab have the rights to everything else, can't remember if they or Topps actually own them, the whole franchise is a mess, which is why it's so fragmented.

#23 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostChuck Jager, on 20 July 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

Everything Everyone can be bought. It only takes the right amount of money and a damn good lawyer plus a spin doctor to help folks think you are doing it for them. If you can not do this you get to live with the results. This has been my experience not my philosophy.

FTFY. Posted Image

#24 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

#makemechwarriorgreatagain

So interested in how Mech Con will turn out. Will there be epic new content additions and feature additions? Will it be about buckets? Mech packs? Solaris? Cant wait really.

Edited by Johnny Z, 25 October 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#25 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 October 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

This explains really well a whole lot of things with regard to PGI's questionable actions -- or lack of it -- during that time.

Yep. That is exactly why PGI did not even START development of CW/FW until 2014 ... they weren't about to invest the resources without the extension of the license that would give them the possibility to make back the investment. Once the license issue was settled, PGI moved forward on the CW/FW work.

#26 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

M$ just sat on MechWarrior for almost 10 years. Any other production house would continue to grow the franchise and fan base. Because MechWarrior is the best game that a AI can run and has been the top selling game in the past (MechWarrior 2).

So long as the core values of giant robot tank simulation are foremost, MechWarrior does well. MechWarrior is bad when it tries to be what it's not, Quake, first person shooters, or whatever is most popular that year.

PGI is missing out on getting more sim players by not supporting the Joystick more. Joystick is the sim controller and every sim pilot has one. I do fine with a Joystick, but PGI says Mouse is more fun, mouse is the way. Well, there go a lot of sim players. I am certain that the Joystick delivers the best MWO experience. Effortless and any sim pilot would think it was easy and natural. Easier than any plane or jet. You know what I mean if you have ever played games like Rise of Flight, IL-2, etc. They make piloting a mech with a joystick a walk in the park. Literally. Of course now everyone will say you can't be elite with a joystick, but I win most all of my MWO 1v1 duels. You would find me a challenging opponent, but I am just a casual player.

Anyway, I have some giant robots to destroy. Mech-Sim is the light.

#27 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostCathy, on 25 October 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

H.B.S have the rights to make turn based games only, P.G.I the FPS, though Microsoft own them, Catalyst Games Lab have the rights to everything else, can't remember if they or Topps actually own them, the whole franchise is a mess, which is why it's so fragmented.

Topps is listed as the owners of most of the Trademarks associated with Mechwarrior and Battletech (and is the sole registrant for Battlemech) for most goods and services (books, board game, etc) . MS owns the Mechwarrior and Battletech marks as used in regard to video games. Didn't spend much time looking but saw nothing associated with Catalyst.

View PostJohnny Z, on 25 October 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

#makemechwarriorgreatagain

So interested in how Mech Con will turn out. Will there be epic new content additions and feature additions? Will it be about buckets? Mech packs? Solaris? Cant wait really.

If they don't fix CW and make it worth playing, I expect I will be done waiting.

#28 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

This explains really well a whole lot of things with regard to PGI's questionable actions -- or lack of it -- during that time.

No kidding. This is when my faith in PGI evaporated. I realized they were grabbing for whatever they could literally mere months before the game might not even exist anymore.

Also, them promising CW in 3 months then (later) admitting they hadn't even started development yet pissed me off. They threw out that promise knowing 100% it wasn't going to happen. Making blatant lies like that made me a hardcore skeptic of everything they do.

#29 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

What would be better in 2017, would be someone taking over this game that actually wanted to do something with it and make it great. Game is fun but very, very stagnant right now with nothing new really going on.

#30 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 20 July 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

also if certain criteria is met will have until mid-2020 to continue to develop MechWarrior products including MWO."

Crtiera = mechpacks sold. Open your wallets people, your kid don't need to go to college, your wife makes enough to cover the mortgage.

#31 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Crappy that they will hold this IP hostage essentially. They failed to develop it properly and the dwindling numbers and long queue times back that up.

MWO will be known for a missed opportunity more than anything else.

Mech packs can't keep this game going when they game play is horribly shallow. Quick play matches with the same stale gameplay gets old fast. over saturation of redundant mechs. Pitiful development.

They might have resurrected the IP to an extent but the way things are going and the track record we have here it is more like they are turning the coffin screws tighter and tighter as we forumwarrior.

#32 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 20 July 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

Ruhsssss said he plans on holding onto the rights for at least a decade in one of the last town halls.

:"(

#33 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 October 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

Topps is listed as the owners of most of the Trademarks associated with Mechwarrior and Battletech (and is the sole registrant for Battlemech) for most goods and services (books, board game, etc) . MS owns the Mechwarrior and Battletech marks as used in regard to video games. Didn't spend much time looking but saw nothing associated with Catalyst.

If they don't fix CW and make it worth playing, I expect I will be done waiting.

HBS did a Q&A with Randal Bills as a guest, They did actually answer whom owns what between the three of them, but my alzheimer's is biting my *** tonight and I can't remember the exact details :)

#34 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

It does explain most of them, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't justify them.

#35 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

Right now, they're still selling a bunch of mech packs with minimal effort. Why wouldn't they renew their license?

They'll probably finally release the 3th and 4th Pillar in 2017, so we can get the Information warfare and Role warfare that they talked about in 2011. This will create a surge of optimism among the players and they'll be able to sell a bunch of new mech packs while we're still playing the same game modes on the same maps.

I doubt we'll see Solaris or PVE for another 12 months, as much as I'd love to be wrong about that.

#36 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

My concern isn't about PGI losing the license to MechWarrior, they'll hold onto that with an iron grip for as long as they can drain life from the franchise. My concern is who will invest in the series afterwards?

#37 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Except it doesn't. PGI devs have stated that a number of things were going on during that year. Off the top of my head, they developed...

* Automated testing tools

* Internal telemetry tools

* A new matchmaker (early in 2013)

* Modules and consumables

* 12v12

* A number of code branches that had to get shelved while UI2.0 progressed

* Public test server

* Fixes for a couple of deep CryEngine bugs (kaleidoscope, missile pathing/damage)

* Headless version of the game (for easier testing purposes)

* Stability and performance work

A lot of stuff that wasn't visible to the player, some stuff that was.

Regardless, saying they just spent 2013 with their thumbs up their asses is demonstrably not true. It was the convenient uninformed assumption of hostile players who wanted their stuff nao, hadn't been paying attention to dev communiques, and happily assumed the worst when they heard about the license factor because they thought it would give them leverage over the developers and their reputation.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 25 October 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#38 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 25 October 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Except it doesn't. PGI devs have stated that a number of things were going on during that year. Off the top of my head, they developed...

* Automated testing tools

* Internal telemetry tools

* A new matchmaker (early in 2013)

* Modules and consumables

* 12v12

* A number of code branches that had to get shelved while UI2.0 progressed

* Public test server

* Fixes for a couple of deep CryEngine bugs (kaleidoscope, missile pathing/damage)

* Headless version of the game (for easier testing purposes)

* Stability and performance work

A lot of stuff that wasn't visible to the player, some stuff that was.

Regardless, saying they just spent 2013 with their thumbs up their asses is demonstrably not true. It was the convenient uninformed assumption of hostile players who wanted their stuff nao, hadn't been paying attention to dev communiques, and happily assumed the worst when they heard about the license factor because they thought it would give them leverage over the developers and their reputation.

I was referring mainly to the "CW will be available in 90-days after release" line. It seems they weren't really working on it.

Edited by Mystere, 25 October 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#39 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostMystere, on 25 October 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

I was referring mainly to the "CW will be available in 90-days after release" line. It seems they weren't really working on it.

It would have been more honest of the devs to say "we're working on CW's prerequisite code branches and infrastructure" instead of fudging it all under the umbrella of CW itself, which is what sounds like happened to me.

#40 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostSuko, on 25 October 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

No kidding. This is when my faith in PGI evaporated. I realized they were grabbing for whatever they could literally mere months before the game might not even exist anymore.

Also, them promising CW in 3 months then (later) admitting they hadn't even started development yet pissed me off. They threw out that promise knowing 100% it wasn't going to happen. Making blatant lies like that made me a hardcore skeptic of everything they do.

Actually this whole MechCon reminds of that same time frame... might be that this year end is a time for some evaluation target to be met and now they are trying to make that number (Sales?)

So no major upheavals in game/engine/anything which won't bring in money, while they have to keep artists retained, so they are grinding out mechpacks

Starts make awful lot of sense, in mechCON they can make any promises of miracles to get people in, because review is propably by year end and if they don't make it, they don't have to worry about it. While if they make it, they can put in some money again to something else than mechpacks because they still retain license?

Hmmm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users