#41 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 25 October 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

M$ just sat on MechWarrior for almost 10 years. Any other production house would continue to grow the franchise and fan base. Because MechWarrior is the best game that a AI can run and has been the top selling game in the past (MechWarrior 2).

So long as the core values of giant robot tank simulation are foremost, MechWarrior does well. MechWarrior is bad when it tries to be what it's not, Quake, first person shooters, or whatever is most popular that year.

PGI is missing out on getting more sim players by not supporting the Joystick more. Joystick is the sim controller and every sim pilot has one. I do fine with a Joystick, but PGI says Mouse is more fun, mouse is the way. Well, there go a lot of sim players. I am certain that the Joystick delivers the best MWO experience. Effortless and any sim pilot would think it was easy and natural. Easier than any plane or jet. You know what I mean if you have ever played games like Rise of Flight, IL-2, etc. They make piloting a mech with a joystick a walk in the park. Literally. Of course now everyone will say you can't be elite with a joystick, but I win most all of my MWO 1v1 duels. You would find me a challenging opponent, but I am just a casual player.

Anyway, I have some giant robots to destroy. Mech-Sim is the light.

Joystick support is the least of the problems that might turn off sim players interested in a mech game. The lack of any other simulation features just kills the desire to make the effort required to make their various and sundry control schemes work.

#42 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

Lets see. 2017. I know. EVERYBODY PANIC ! ! !

#43 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 25 October 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Actually this whole MechCon reminds of that same time frame... might be that this year end is a time for some evaluation target to be met and now they are trying to make that number (Sales?)

So no major upheavals in game/engine/anything which won't bring in money, while they have to keep artists retained, so they are grinding out mechpacks

Starts make awful lot of sense, in mechCON they can make any promises of miracles to get people in, because review is propably by year end and if they don't make it, they don't have to worry about it. While if they make it, they can put in some money again to something else than mechpacks because they still retain license?

Hmmm

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist, but now you got me worried! Posted Image

Perhaps it is true that things are "uncertain" and they're just trying to keep the ship afloat until the year end results come through. If things are good enough, then they can gear up for some major progress. If not...well. Mechpacks anyone?

#44 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostSuko, on 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist, but now you got me worried! Posted Image

Perhaps it is true that things are "uncertain" and they're just trying to keep the ship afloat until the year end results come through. If things are good enough, then they can gear up for some major progress. If not...well. Mechpacks anyone?

Why does this worry you more than every other "The Sky is Falling" thread or comment. The same threads and comments have been repeated ad nauseum for the last four years. At some point they'll be right, I guess, but I can't manage to worry about it.

#45 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

It baffles me why the malcontent stick around on the forums to spread their depression. Or more precisely, how their visions for MW aren't being listened to. There is also the point to be made if this IP fails, good luck having anyone else touch it ever again. I read somewhere that it takes about 100 Million to take a big game to market. This IP has such a reverent fan base, It's pretty obvious that anyone else taking a stab at it would soon feel like they were whizzing into a tornado.

Being in the software business myself, I think they have done a decent job with their small boutique outfit. I know 1st hand how a small business has to prioritize their development resources. You spend a lot of time placating those folks that want new features on demand.

Edited by Quintus Verus, 27 October 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#46 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

View PostQuintus Verus, on 25 October 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

It baffles me why the malcontent stick around on the forums to spread their depression. Or more precisely, how their visions for MW aren't being listened to. There is also the point to be made if this IP fails, good luck having anyone else touch it ever again. I read somewhere that it takes about 100 Million to take a game a big game to market. This IP has such a reverent fan base, It's pretty obvious that anyone else taking a stab at it would be soon feel like they were whizzing into a tornado.

Being in the software business myself, I think they have done a decent job with their small boutique outfit. I know 1st hand how a small business has to prioritize their development resources. You spend a lot of time placating those folks that want new features on demand.

To be fair, people have been and will be pissed off for some perfectly valid reasons. That anyone sticks around and ******* for the sake of bitching is beyond me though.

#47 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostBilbo, on 25 October 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Joystick support is the least of the problems that might turn off sim players interested in a mech game. The lack of any other simulation features just kills the desire to make the effort required to make their various and sundry control schemes work.

Your mech starts up and what does your avatar in the cockpit grab? A joystick. Why aren't you and Russ and the World Championship players doing the same? Well, part of it is that you would have to be a Sim player to own a joystick for sure. The other part is that you are told to use a Mouse even though the joystick works fine especially with some calibration software. Thrustmaster T16000m has some called TARGET. It's not a big deal, it's a little deal, but that's where it starts to lose Sim value. In RW would you pilot your mech with a Mouse? No, of course not.

#48 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:48 PM

Ughh.. necro

#49 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

The state of secrecy where nothing is said and where content* and future plan* is held hidden as long as possible to prevent anyone to try and make it better before its too late is the best ever. There, i hope some people in this thread are less depressed at the bad attitude some players have.

*lets pretend those exist for the sake of argumentation.

#50 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:09 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 25 October 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Actually this whole MechCon reminds of that same time frame... might be that this year end is a time for some evaluation target to be met and now they are trying to make that number (Sales?)

So no major upheavals in game/engine/anything which won't bring in money, while they have to keep artists retained, so they are grinding out mechpacks

Starts make awful lot of sense, in mechCON they can make any promises of miracles to get people in, because review is propably by year end and if they don't make it, they don't have to worry about it. While if they make it, they can put in some money again to something else than mechpacks because they still retain license?

Hmmm

That would also explain the generous distribution of MCs and CBs. Most likely they need a certain active user base as well

#51 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

ok..where did this topic came from to the first page :P

#52 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

2020 seems about right. this gets us to 3057 before the game shuts down. this is kind of a killjoy for anyone who wanted new weapons. we need to accelerate the time line at least 2x now if we ever want to get 3060 kit before the servers get hawked for beer money.

best bet for the shutdown of this game is an end of life package, server side software (ability to do private servers), which opens the door for mod support. maybe a phone home server to verify purchased content.

worst case scenario, they pull the plug with zero forwarning and the game dies in a whimper. and likely days after releasing a mech pack.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 October 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#53 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

If you guys think your gonna get any content other than mechs before the servers are hocked you are gonna have a bad time. New weapons? Interesting gameplay? BAHAHAH!

#54 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

it is kind of delusional to expect anything out of pgi.

#55 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 October 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

it is kind of delusional to expect anything out of pgi.

It is pretty much like a religion to white knight them.

#56 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 October 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

2020 seems about right. this gets us to 3057 before the game shuts down. this is kind of a killjoy for anyone who wanted new weapons. we need to accelerate the time line at least 2x now if we ever want to get 3060 kit before the servers get hawked for beer money.

best bet for the shutdown of this game is an end of life package, server side software (ability to do private servers), which opens the door for mod support. maybe a phone home server to verify purchased content.

worst case scenario, they pull the plug with zero forwarning and the game dies in a whimper. and likely days after releasing a mech pack.

Well... With the mwo assets and something like LL, [program savvy people] can probably do something decent after the fact...

#57 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostQuintus Verus, on 25 October 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

It baffles me why the malcontent stick around on the forums to spread their depression. Or more precisely, how their visions for MW aren't being listened to ...

Except it's actually PGI's own vision as well:

Or it was anyway.

#58 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

we can dream can we not?

#59 pjnt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDetention Block 23, Death Star

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

Cheers Jesse. Answers some questions.

#60 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

View Postpjnt, on 21 June 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Cheers Jesse. Answers some questions.

You couldn't find any older threads to necro? I'm sure there are some nice 2011 threads if you look carefully.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users