Why Do Potatoes... Potato?

84 replies to this topic

#1 Slicer

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:01 AM

I started playing back during open beta, went through the school of hard knocks getting my teeth kicked in until i grinded up enough cbills to buy some real mechs, and then joined a TS server to REALLY see my game improve, which involved alot of 4 mans rolling through 8v8 like gangbusters.

ELO, 12v12 and poptart meta drove me away as i couldnt poptart (but i sure loved my brawling) worth a damn and my inflated ELO made games unfun (4man win inflation, pugging hell). Took a 2 year hiatus, found poptarting gone, had alot of fun in the new meta, was in Tier 4, big maps, and now im back full time.

Most games are pretty good. If i bring my try hard meta mechs (hell i can even do great while boating Lurms) i can at least whoop alot of *** before i go down and seriously affect a games outcome most times. I bark alot on comms and for the most part people listen especially if i tear through a mech or shred a flank and call for a push and everyone piles in and good things happen. Currently in Tier 3 although im about to hit Tier 2 soon and im kinda worried.

I'm trying to level up some of my suboptimal (usually medium) mechs i have in my hanger collecting dust.... and things are just hard. I cant whoop as much *** as i could on a heavy/assault so my carrying ability isnt as good. Also alot of times... i tend to see players just go do utterly ******** things like scatter, chase the squirrel, banzai lights, cower deep in the rear, or run into the open for no goddamn reason to get obliterated all after i warned them not too at the beginning of the drop. I fervently still try to use text and comms to get everyone on a basic plan of action, but for some reason when im not in a try hard mech player stupidity goes into overdrive. I admit to not being as aggressive calling cuz if i'm driving a medium its not fair for me to call out the charge.

I know this topic has come up before, but im truly at a loss now. While group play tends to reduce the abject stupidity, i still drop majority in solo, so i'm just wondering how the hell do i grind out my masteries on the lower tier mechs i have in my stable without cussing out my team a good chunk of the time and wrecking my stats.

I think my favorite, "you ******* potato" moment was when some dire wolf was chilling ALL the way in the back after the whole team pushed forward 2 grids, my attempts to get him to move his *** to join the main body gets responses of "oh there's so much lag i cant move", he remains in the back pot shotting at long range while most of the team gets rolled. After i died and jumped around i noticed his ping low and his aim not suffering much issues in his 8 ERLL assault. He was able to bag a cripple as the remaining enemies swarmed him and i go "so you seriously just stood in the back the whole time while your team pushed" and he told me to stfu and that he "prolly did more damage than me".

WTF happened to the player base. At least back in the day the noobs were hyper aggressive, so if im in a 4man or solo pugging, i just channeled their aggression to a navpoint grid hopefully flanking the enemy and led the charge come hell or highwater. Now most noobs are just cowering in the back or the most egregious are the ones i just described where they try to vulture up kills on cripples after they let their buddies go in first to the meat grinder. Another funny moment was that i remember dropping with that guy earlier, same mech, same tactics, except we rolled the ever living **** out of the enemy with a hard flank i led with my Dakka Bear. He did jack **** damage cuz he was too busy sniping at long range while the rest of us bullrushed the scattered enemy. I mean, wtf is up with this mentality. i can understand stat padding/protecting, lord knows i do it too, but to just use your teammates like that... i mean wtf is that all about and why play this game.

#2 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:10 AM

• some do it ("to potato") cos they do not know better ;
  • some do it for statpadding/killeeching ;
  • some do it because their personal objective is not to assist the Team in winning, but somehow get the most possible rewards for themselves ;
  • some do it to outright troll the Team ;
  • some do it cos they think what THEY do is the best course of action ;
  • some are just too drunk on occasion to be able to do anything usefull ;
  • some simply dont care for the PUG Matches and want to get as many done as quick as possible to maximise their cbill/exp income re timeframe ;
...or any combination of the above, plus a plethora of things I didnt put into the List .

Edited by Besh, 29 July 2016 - 12:02 AM.

#3 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:17 AM

Posted Image

Because it makes you sad.

#4 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:19 AM

If I'm forced to play five Crapquest Conquest matches in a row, I stop caring and turn into a potato.

Posted Image

#5 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:22 AM

Good topic. This happens to every legit player. I have had losing streaks like would not soon be believed. Also some amazing matches.

All I can say is its better to know when your being trolled and consider it hard mode. Up your game as much as possible during these bad matches makes it all good.

The toughest is when your rear side torso on an XL gets blown out from the front. Best to ignore matches like those. Posted Image

Also use the complaint button. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 July 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:23 AM

PGI implementing Solo-Q leaderboard certainly didn't help. Pugs are now even more passive than before. Posted Image

#7 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:25 AM

No offense but if your a high level player in quick play what do you expect?

Every stinking sport has progression. You don't see little league players playing pros.

Been saying this since the beginning but for some reason top players are stuck in thinking everyone is the same. Their not.

Until you figure this out your lost. Instead you insult and complain when in actuality its the system employed that makes game play terrible for both sides. You cannot change human nature but you can make adjustments for it.

#8 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

Actually, on the bright side this up coming podcast reminds me that eventually faction play will be used a lot more and players will eventually get to know other players in their faction and who can be relied on to play their best all the time.

Going forward this topics issues will improve. Seriously.

Can all the honest players please come to House Davion. Posted Image Thanks. Posted Image

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 July 2016 - 03:35 AM.

#9 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:41 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 July 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

PGI implementing Solo-Q leaderboard certainly didn't help. Pugs are now even more passive than before. Posted Image

So passive. :( I tell people in QP, is this Sit and Wait Warrior? I miss the aggressive Closed Beta play.

Potatoes are fun to shoot in the back though.

#10 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 27 July 2016 - 03:41 AM, said:

So passive. Posted Image I tell people in QP, is this Sit and Wait Warrior? I miss the aggressive Closed Beta play.

Potatoes are fun to shoot in the back though.

Whats with all the alts posting? Seeing a lot of tier 5's writing about beta.

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:51 AM

Insert joke mocking Latvia here.

#12 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:12 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 27 July 2016 - 03:45 AM, said:

Whats with all the alts posting? Seeing a lot of tier 5's writing about beta.

that's what happens when PGI makes people leave the game and wiping out scores.

#13 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:36 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 27 July 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

that's what happens when PGI makes people leave the game and wiping out scores.

Well that's just sad.

#14 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostSlicer, on 27 July 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

8 ERLL assault. He was able to bag a cripple as the remaining enemies swarmed him and i go "so you seriously just stood in the back the whole time while your team pushed" and he told me to stfu and that he "prolly did more damage than me".

Well? ok so ERLL DWF is potato. But he was in an ERLL assault of course he is going to be 800m out, and if the team potatoed waddled into bad positioning and got rolled as you put it, maybe the person 800m away from a kill box wasn't the dumbest player on the field that day.

And did he? If he did more dmg than you, he gets to tell you to stfu when try to tell him to l2p. You need to be the clear example or be trash. The scoreboard always tells a better story.

#15 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 27 July 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

Well? ok so ERLL DWF is potato. But he was in an ERLL assault of course he is going to be 800m out, and if the team potatoed waddled into bad positioning and got rolled as you put it, maybe the person 800m away from a kill box wasn't the dumbest player on the field that day.

And did he? If he did more dmg than you, he gets to tell you to stfu when try to tell him to l2p. You need to be the clear example or be trash. The scoreboard always tells a better story.

Well how about "No!" .

Just cos dmg. dealt is in itself NO measure whatsoever for your contribution to your Team winning . Every time someone thinks, writes or says "more dmg = better", a kitten dies .

Taking out an entire 8men needing less than 1k damage combined was considered a feat in 2ndCB/start of OB...

Edited by Besh, 27 July 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

Well how about "No!" .

Just cos dmg. dealt is in itself NO measure whatsoever for your contribution to your Team winning . Every time someone thinks, writes or says "more dmg = better", a kitten dies .

Taking out an entire 8men needing less than 1k damage combined was considered a feat in 2ndCB/start of OB...

Fact is someone has to be doing the dmg or you can't win.

All I am saying is if you are berating people telling them to l2p in chat after you are dead AND they out performed you in a match, that makes you a grade A salty scrub lord.

Edited by Ghogiel, 27 July 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#17 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

Well how about "No!" .

The objective in pretty much every single mode of play in this game is to destroy the enemy mechs. In order to destroy the enemy mechs one must do damage. If one isn't doing damage, or is doing sub-par damage compared to his mech's tonnage.....he is a potato.

#18 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

You're asking why bad players are... bad.

Possibly, because they only have one life per game? And after they die, they can't do anything for about, what, five minutes, until they load into a new match after they quit?

I'm gutsy as all hell if I play somewhere I can respawn.

#19 FirstRock

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:35 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

• some do it ("to potatoe") cos they do not know better ;
  • some do it for statpadding/killeeching ;
  • some do it because their personal objective is not to assist the Team in winning, but somehow get the most possible rewards for themselves ;
  • some do it to outright troll the Team ;
  • some do it cos they think what THEY do is the best course of action ;
  • some are just too drunk on occasion to be able to do anything usefull ;
  • some simply dont care for the PUG Matches and want to get as many done as quick as possible to maximise their cbill/exp income re timeframe ;
...or any combination of the above, plus a plethora of things I didnt put into the List .

Should be a reward for team play. I continually get comments that I don't attack or go my own way. I play Jenners most of the time. I scout and remind them that is what scouts do they cant brawl.

#20 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 27 July 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

Fact is someone has to be doing the dmg or you can't win.

All I am saying is if you are berating people telling them to l2p in chat after you are dead AND they out performed you in a match, that makes you a grade A salty scrub lord.

Xcept that was NOT all you were saying .

Honestly, I have games were I do 2digit dmg. and die within 1min. after gamestart, and still see people doing SO horribly stupid things that it makes me call them out in TextChat on occasion . Me taking one wrong turn and dieing to a skilled shooter does not disqualify me from seeing and commenting on glaring mistakes others make .

Raking in high dmg. numbers is SO ridiculously easy in this Game, its not even funny anymore . And you can do it WHILE totally screwing your team . Like people in an "long Range" Assault sitting back 100ms of Meters bhind the actual fight, where Teammembers fight and get killed, contributing nothing, and then afterwards going for the cheap shots/kills .

Saying somebody outperformed someone else basing that on "dmg. done", really does not work .

View PostTemplar Dane, on 27 July 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

The objective in pretty much every single mode of play in this game is to destroy the enemy mechs. In order to destroy the enemy mechs one must do damage. If one isn't doing damage, or is doing sub-par damage compared to his mech's tonnage.....he is a potato.

Hmm..., let me see....we have Skirmish, Assault, Domination, Conquest . I only see 1 Gamemode where taking out all the enemy 'Mechs is the explicit objective of the Game Mode . The fact the playerbase mostly decides to play almost every Single Game as TDM does not make your above Statement true .

Next, a 100t'er can take out 3, 4 'mechs not needing more than 400, 500 dmg. ( numbers may vary based on 'Mechs involved ) . Your Statement blatantly implies he is underperforming in comparison to another 100t'er needing double that amount of dmg. to get the same amount of kills . All the while the Pilot needing LESS damage towards the same results actually tends to be the more skilled/better one....

It is really funny how people whose playstyle simply evolves around raking in max. rewards for themselves go on masking that as "TeamPlay" .

Edited by Besh, 27 July 2016 - 05:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users