#41 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:05 AM

View PostTemplar Dane, on 27 July 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

The objective in pretty much every single mode of play in this game is to destroy the enemy mechs. In order to destroy the enemy mechs one must do damage. If one isn't doing damage, or is doing sub-par damage compared to his mech's tonnage.....he is a potato.

I guess someone doing 3 head shot kills solo with only 105 damage is a potato compared to someone doing 3 non-solo non-head shot kills with 1000. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 27 July 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#42 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 27 July 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

I go full passive when I realize my team is running away or some overexcited GranTourismo drivers starts to yell push push push while the Assaults are 100m away from their drop point and the rest plays lemmingtrain supreme.

Best thing you can do now is standing back and hope those nitwits damage some enemys enough you can at least get a kill out of some damaged mechs comming to search for you.

Unfortunately you're not helping the situation by sinking to their level. Just go "Banzai!" and drop into another fight. I do. Posted Image

#43 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostMystere, on 27 July 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

I guess someone doing 3 head shot kills solo with only 105 damage is a potato compared to someone doing 3 non-solo non-head shot kills with 1000. Posted Image

That's a sweet cherry you picked there. How about you stack that players performance against a 1500dmg and 9 kmdd game?

#44 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 27 July 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

That's a sweet cherry you picked there. How about you stack that players performance against a 1500dmg and 9 kmdd game?

35 vs. 167 damage per kill? Posted Image

#45 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostMystere, on 27 July 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

35 vs. 167 damage per kill? Posted Image

9 dead vs 3 Posted Image

#46 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 27 July 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

No one is going to believe you if say the majority of your games in conquest and assault do not end on kills but on the objectives.

Oh, and THAT makes your claim of

View PostGhogiel, on 27 July 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Yeah the statistics suggest you have to play for killing to maximise your odds of winning.
true ?

I mean, are you saying you pulled some nonexistent statistics out of your head to sound all scientifically to strenghten your point, because noone would believe the other position anyways without anyone needing to look at the "statistics" ?

Edited by Besh, 27 July 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#47 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

Oh, and THAT makes your claim of true ?

I mean, are you saying you pulled some nonexistent statistics out of your head to sound all scientifically to strenghten your point, because noone would believe the other position anyways without anyone needing to look at the "statistics" ?

Go look at MRBC and WC and tell me most don't end on kills.

#48 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostMystere, on 27 July 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

Then he's got 3 kills.

What about the 0 damage assault mechs?

The guys that hold fire all match and ONLY fire to get killing blows? Before the KMDD bonus that happened ALL THE TIME. Holding fire all match only firing when the perfect shot presents itself, which might not even happen, rather than firing on the enemy mechs....then die doing practically no damage so the enemy mechs are still fresh and harder to kill for the rest of the team.

#49 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 27 July 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

Go look at MRBC and WC and tell me most don't end on kills.

Nonono, dont evade your claim of "Statistics suggest..." again . Do you have access to actual statistics, please link them, or show them . Do you not ? Well....nuff said then .

Edited by Besh, 27 July 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#50 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

Nonono, dont evade your claim of "Statistics suggest..." again . Do you have access to actual statistics, please link them, or show them . Do you not ? Well....nuff said then .

The stats are there if you care to look at the results of the matches. I'm not sure the point you are making.
I also have collected data at various times for various reasons, screen shotting my end of rounds over a sample of 100s of games. And that too shows that games mostly end on kills.

#51 Cappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

Q: Why do Potatos Potato?

A: because not everyone is naturally skilled at video games and do not have the time to invest practising to get better. Some people just don't care enough to get better.

Maybe you should stop crying for two seconds, dry your eyes and then go find a game mode that doesn't demand you play on a team with random people so then when you do bad, you can't pretend that everyone else is the problem instead of you. if every team you play on is bad, it's because you are bad.

Pro tip: "lag" isn't exclusive to ping times.

Edited by Cappy, 27 July 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#52 Othehto

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPanama City, FL

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

"Hi, I'm Othehto and I am a potato..."

I'm a potato, not because I am horrible. Because I am not consistent in my play style. I can get facerolled the first 30 seconds of a fight and score crap or I can have 600 dmg games.

I scatter, chase the squirrel, banzai lights, cower deep in the rear, or run into the open for no goddamn reason. Well that's not true. I often have a reason that is not evident to you.

I scatter because I am getting outmaneuvered, sniped or rained on by something you might not see. Sometimes I am just learning my class; I mean, I know I'm supposed to scout in a light, try to stay hidden, trying to get into an opportune or flanking position; but I still suck at it.

I chase the squirrel because watching that squirrel tag or harrass often my oblivious teammate; i figure it is better that I am distracted and that assault mech that outweighs me by 40 tons is kept in the fight.

I am in the rear because I just might not be in a brawling mech for the chosen map or simply have not the speed or maneuverability to keep up. How many times have I watched whole lances race off at 100kph while I trudge along at 64kph because I am still saving up for that engine upgrade. As they get mauled due to lack of support; I'm having to take the long way around the canyon but then berated for not keeping up.

I run into the open for no God-damn reason; it didn't seem exposed at the time; or I really under estimated the position of the enemy or in the absence of good scouting (because scouting rewards crap all for doing it) someone has to take point.

I play very well in organized teams. I have someone to provide checks and balances to poor instincts, reinforce concepts and reign in impatience.

I always try to move with the pack, focus fire, use maneuver, cover, and concealment. Except when I don't.

What helps is when people coordinate without arrogance. When they treat it as a team sport vice some prima donna right of passage. It's not about you. People in pubs are at varying levels of skill; and simply using the mic and communicating elevates team play. The problem is with a majority of pub games you will see half a dozen guilded players that remain silent even though they know the advantage of coordinating their actions.

New players are often simply intimidated from asking questions or advice; especially in tactical shooters. It's better to lead from the front and provide example than ***** from the grave.

Edited by Othehto, 27 July 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#53 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

It does not bother me that people who couldn't hit the floor if they fell over are playing the game. But it is frustrating that I've been playing the game long enough to be competitive with other decent players, and when I die I'm watching one of my pug mates unload 100 rounds of SRMs on a Spider that's burning them to the ground with ERLs from 1000 meters away.

Was my first match against tier ones? I do vaguely remember getting farmed by lasers from 1200 meters from day one.

#54 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 July 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Actually, on the bright side this up coming podcast reminds me that eventually faction play will be used a lot more and players will eventually get to know other players in their faction and who can be relied on to play their best all the time.

Going forward this topics issues will improve. Seriously.

Can all the honest players please come to House Davion. Posted Image Thanks. Posted Image

I'm honest, but not dumb enough to think going Davion would ever be a good idea.

#55 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

I used to run a hunchback IIC with 6 med pulse lasers. It can alpha twice before it needs to retreat. That means its got just enough to open the CT on most assult mechs but doesnt finish. You can end the game with low dmg and no kills and yet play a massive part of winning for the team. Doesnt mean anything just a comment on damage numbers as a measure of contribution

#56 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

Oh, and THAT makes your claim of true ?

There used to be a quoted stat flying around here from i think Mr. Bryan Eckman saying that Assaults matches ended in Cap less then 5% of the time or something ridiculously low.

Even when the team base caps, due to the new mechanic of not capping while taking fire its even harder to pull this off.

#57 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Why do snobs snob?

#58 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 27 July 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

If I'm forced to play five Crapquest Conquest matches in a row, I stop caring and turn into a potato.

The dude was in a dire, when you dont care and want the game to end faster you go kill people right at the start you dont stand back.

Its faster, a lot less boring and better for the team to just charge at the enemy and do as much damage as possible before you die if you are in an Assault. Its what you are supposed to do anyway and if the rest of the team cant follow or find their own assault its their fault. Sometimes you get the team that follows you too and have a great game. You will get kills and win games, just remember to hug your target so his friends have to go through your arms.

Back in the days of always playing frozen skirmish because voting had not been thought out; I ran straight into the enemy with my dual ac20-srm8-2LL coolshot magical potions-override engaged Mauler MX90. The enemy often panic when they turn a corner on you lol. You will die but im not talking about suicide but maximising damage dealt, damage taken in while minimising time played. Obviously dont try that in anything that cant dish a lot of alpha damage and if you cant aim. You will die and you have to make it worth it.

Edited by DAYLEET, 27 July 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#59 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

Why potato?

Because potato isn't punished by the game for being a potato, and is rarely even socially punished for being a potato either.

Potatoes end up inevitably pushed upwards, so they feel validated regardless of actually doing anything.

Hmm..., let me see....we have Skirmish, Assault, Domination, Conquest . I only see 1 Gamemode where taking out all the enemy 'Mechs is the explicit objective of the Game Mode . The fact the playerbase mostly decides to play almost every Single Game as TDM does not make your above Statement true .

Are you socially deficient? The most rewards from all of those come from killing the enemy team hence players play all matches as TDM regardless of label. Nothing like a game giving you virtually nothing because someone thinks Assault is best played as stand in a square, ending the game with most players earning virtually zip for the waste of time. The real reason people play Conquest or Domination is because they are TDM with qualifiers that give you more money. Conquest is more money for killing 12+ the capture bonuses afterwards. Domination is the same way. Conquest occasionally gives you easy kills for people being silly and running off to squares to face your deathball solo and Domination forces combat in a specific map area so you don't have to look for robots to shoot.

MWO sets up all modes such that killing robots is primary all else is secondary.

#60 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:39 AM

LOL ... what a nice little topic. Potatoes discussing who is the least potato-y among them.

@OP Its all relative. You think certain people in your matches are potatoes, while I'd say the same about yourself if you'd be in my match. There is nothing wrong in being bad, but its very wrong when you are being bad on purpose, and certain people are just that, which is apparent from mechs they build and what they do during a match.

View PostStone Wall, on 27 July 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

that's what happens when PGI makes people leave the game and wiping out scores.

It takes like ... one match to get to T4 from T5 if you are a good player. Maybe two if you are really unlucky or chose the wrong trial mech to drive. Most Founders are legit T4/T5 material. On average they are by far a more pleasant crowd to hang out with but also are by far worse in this game.

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

Well how about "No!" .

Just cos dmg. dealt is in itself NO measure whatsoever for your contribution to your Team winning . Every time someone thinks, writes or says "more dmg = better", a kitten dies .

Sigh ... la la la here we go with this again.
There are no valid objectives in this game apart from killing your opponents, thus damage is what matters the most. Best players in this game are the ones doing more damage on average. Damage kills enemies and killing enemies allows you to live longer to do more damage and so on. Obviously it needs to be damage that kills and not something that spreads all over the place, but it is also reflected in average damage because not being able to do effective damage leads to enemy team killing you and your team too fast for you to do large amounts of your ineffective damage, thus your avg dmg suffers.

You can argue all you want and bring kittens all you want, but in current MWO this is fact.

View PostBesh, on 27 July 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

Taking out an entire 8men needing less than 1k damage combined was considered a feat in 2ndCB/start of OB...

Entire 8-man of afk'ers maybe. No matter how good you are if your opponent is at least nearly as good he'll be able to spread lots of damage over his mech.

View PostGreyNovember, on 27 July 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

You're asking why bad players are... bad.

Possibly, because they only have one life per game? And after they die, they can't do anything for about, what, five minutes, until they load into a new match after they quit?

I'm gutsy as all hell if I play somewhere I can respawn.

If you die early and disconnect you are bad and bad on purpose.
If you die early and spectate to learn you are bad but improving.
I think it should be pretty clear why bad players are bad now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users