Trebuchet Quirks Are Really Off

25 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

The trebuchet is my favorite 'mech in the game, and has been for 3 years. You can put all sorts of builds on them for various roles. There's something wrong though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

See problem? The 5N is the worst variant out of all of them due to it's lack of jumpjets, and it's terrible hardpoint placement, which centralizes the majority of the firepower in the easy-to-hit arms. Even the 5J, despite similar hardpoints, has a better time coping as the jumpjets can be used to evade damage.

The 3C, despite lacking jumpjets as well, has slightly BETTER quirks, a much higher engine cap, and has slightly better hardpoints than the 5N.

The 7M. Oh how I love but secretly despise it. The missile quirks and mobility are phenomenal, the hardpoints are fairly even, and can run multiple builds effectively. Why this variant though? It already has significant advantages.

The 5N is one of the least used mechs in the entire game, and it's no wonder why. At least give it something, but not cooldown quirks, no. Make it interesting. It already has a negligible and useless 5% LRM spread reduction, but how about 25%, and boost the velocity by a similar figure. This way, paired with artemis, it can be a precise LRM sniper of sorts, able to deal significant damage in each volley to parts of an enemy. The cooldown quirks can be replaced with the pilot's ability to get vantage points on the enemy and throw some missiles, then dive down again.

Lastly, the 7K. You took away the PPC quirks. Why. WHY? What was the point in doing that? I don't understand. I- what???

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

I think PGI just likes pretending it doesn't exist.

#3 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

Treb OP, plz nerf some more.

#4 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

They are dialing back Quirks globally but i dont see them changin PPC heat ever again. So we can just bury them i think at this point.

Edited by Revis Volek, 27 July 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#5 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

Nobody likes Trebuchets. They have been one of the most ignored mechs in MWO. They weren't even very popular when they were new, thanks to the super tanky Centurion. Maybe they can get tiny structure buffs like the Kintaro? ;)

#6 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

"They are dialing back Quirks globally but i dont see them changin PPC heat ever again. So we can just bury them i think at this point."

I realized, and that's good that they're calming down the quirkfest, but there are 'mechs that need a few great APPROPRIATE quirks, ones more tuned to the load out of the 'mech. The 5N absolutely needs it.

#7 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 27 July 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

"They are dialing back Quirks globally but i dont see them changin PPC heat ever again. So we can just bury them i think at this point."

I realized, and that's good that they're calming down the quirkfest, but there are 'mechs that need a few great APPROPRIATE quirks, ones more tuned to the load out of the 'mech. The 5N absolutely needs it.

Why would you buff a mech if you are trying to take quirks away? Its gone this long without them so i dont see PGI giving it any more until they tone down some of the worst offenders. You cant really say where it is when other mechs with mega quirks are crazy above every other mech in the game not just the treb.

#8 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

"Nobody likes Trebuchets. They have been one of the most ignored mechs in MWO. They weren't even very popular when they were new, thanks to the super tanky Centurion. Maybe they can get tiny structure buffs like the Kintaro? "

The weakness has always been the arms on the treb, which are too big in my opinion. I never let my trebs fall short of 95 kph, averaging about 104 for that reason. What the trebs do have is the torso twist, yaw, and mobility of a light almost. They are very agile, especially with jumpjets.

#9 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

"Why would you buff a mech if you are trying to take quirks away?"

Of course take from the worst offenders, but they should take the opportunity to revise which 'mechs actually need quirks. That was the point of quirks, to make certain 'mechs viable again. Throwing quirks everywhere levels the playing field back to square one.

Edited by MadHornet, 27 July 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 27 July 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

Incidentally, as do most players.

#11 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 27 July 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

"Why would you buff a mech if you are trying to take quirks away?"

Of course take from the worst offenders, but they should take the opportunity to revise which 'mechs actually need quirks. That was the point of quirks, to make certain 'mechs viable again. Throwing quirks everywhere levels the playing field back to square one.

We know this, well most of us and we saw it happening before PGI because they dont have the same foresight it seems as half their player base. But you cant add more quirks until you get the worst ones toned down other wise you have false bars to raise thing to.

They would then just have to go back and touch the trebs again, they seem to be finally learning from their mistakes.

#12 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

I don't know why but I have always loved the Treb. Bought the Loup when it came out prior to Clans. With 4 X Streak 2 and 2 medium lasers it was loads of fun. At the time Streak 2s did 2.5 damage per missile and for some reason that .5 really added up. Also this was prior to the changes made to nerf Jump jets for pop tarts. Along with JJ nerf the ability to easily maneuver (twist and turn was also affected. So for a few weeks the LG was a beast.

Then Clans were introduced and they changed streak damage to 2 points per missile and the ability to jump and move all went away.

Changing it to 4X SRM4 and 2 medium lasers works well now but it no longer has the fun factor it had previously. The 7M is great as an LRM platform or as a 3xSRM6 Brawler. The 3C is a my 50 light mech with a 350 engine it goes about 124 Kph.

I think they suffer from being a bit too large. Too Tall and too Broad. Unless you are very careful you are very easily targeted.

I still love them even if PGI does not.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

Remember the day that Paul was talking about a Trebuchet Meta in some VLog way back when they started doing the Vlogs.

Apparently noone was expecting the Trebuchet Inquisition!

#14 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

"Remember the day that Paul was talking about a Trebuchet Meta in some VLog way back when they started doing the Vlogs."

Source?

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 27 July 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

"Remember the day that Paul was talking about a Trebuchet Meta in some VLog way back when they started doing the Vlogs."

Source?

http://mwomercs.com/...veloper-vlog-3/
8:10
"Highlander and Trebuchet meta"

Birth of Hoverjets™

#cannotforget
#neverforget

Edited by Deathlike, 27 July 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#16 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

If you're expecting good, consistent quirks for any mech, and especiallyon such an old chassis, you're going to be disappointed because quirks are a sloppy mess on everything.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

The general trend for quirks seems to be that the natural strongest variants of a given 'Mech get the best quirks while the bad variants are paid lip-service.

See: original BJ-1X (BJ-1DC is actually really good except nobody plays it with lasers so it remains under the radar), LCT-1E, AS7-S, CPLT-J, GRF-3M, etc.

#18 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

I want 3C to have general missile quirks.

So Paul was ever considering treb as meta?
LOL.
And this guy is still working on this game...

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 July 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...veloper-vlog-3/
8:10
"Highlander and Trebuchet meta"

Birth of Hoverjets™

#cannotforget
#neverforget

Posted Image

Specifically targeting robots, and creating the LowLander (see also: sLowlander)

#20 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 27 July 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

To be fair... when was the last time you saw a treb in a match outside of an event with a treb leaderboard?

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 27 July 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

I want 3C to have general missile quirks.

So Paul was ever considering treb as meta?
LOL.
And this guy is still working on this game...

There was a time when it was the only properly quick medium and the only real competition it had in that role was the CN9-D and the Dragons. It at least had a role back then. Plus IS streaks were useful then too (broken hit reg on lights). It was still awful of course due to its size but it wasn't the complete death trap it is today.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 27 July 2016 - 11:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users