#21 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

View PostRakshasa, on 18 August 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

I was in a match earlier today (Mining Colony), when merrily piloting my Warhammer I spotted an enemy Orion IIC about 800m away move into view. First contact! So I line up for the shot and...cockpit shakes a bit, and the Onion steps back. Then I notice my goddamn right ST armour is gone. Evaporated. Structure underneath is exposed and yellow.

That Orion was the first enemy mech I encountered, and I saw them for maybe 2 and a half seconds. My Warhammer has the heaviest armour possible. One glance, boom. One and a half tons of armour blown clean through. I was only lucky it didn't have a lancemate next door to slice my side torso off.

Comparative skill and loadouts aside, that's not BattleTech. That's a twitch shooter with no regenerating health. Anything which increases TTK and makes running battles, brawling, and tanky, heavy, mech-like combat possible I'm all for trying right now, because watching AC Kodiak's rip opponents to shreds in seconds, or Ebon Jag's peek out from behind cover to laser vomit for huge damage before taking cover again, is starting to get old. Just hope this new mechanic works better than Ghost Heat.

Although I can't help but think how mech less faffing about just having cones of fire would have been by now. So many mechanics to try and manage the effects of being able to place shots with pixel precision. Posted Image

I call bs on that Orion IIc 800m taking all your ST armor in 1 hit. Warhammer has 54 ST armor up front if you front-load

#22 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

just read the patch notes.. Can't wait to play a few matches.. Sounds like a lot of changes, and many for the better, i sure will be happy about no Gauss charge up.. i could never get that darn thing figured out..

Looks like i'll Be DL'n all night.. only 10 hours to go so says the timer.

Now to decide what mech to try first!

#23 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostRakshasa, on 18 August 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

I was in a match earlier today (Mining Colony), when merrily piloting my Warhammer I spotted an enemy Orion IIC about 800m away move into view. First contact! So I line up for the shot and...cockpit shakes a bit, and the Onion steps back. Then I notice my goddamn right ST armour is gone. Evaporated. Structure underneath is exposed and yellow.

That Orion was the first enemy mech I encountered, and I saw them for maybe 2 and a half seconds. My Warhammer has the heaviest armour possible. One glance, boom. One and a half tons of armour blown clean through. I was only lucky it didn't have a lancemate next door to slice my side torso off.

Comparative skill and loadouts aside, that's not BattleTech. That's a twitch shooter with no regenerating health. Anything which increases TTK and makes running battles, brawling, and tanky, heavy, mech-like combat possible I'm all for trying right now, because watching AC Kodiak's rip opponents to shreds in seconds, or Ebon Jag's peek out from behind cover to laser vomit for huge damage before taking cover again, is starting to get old. Just hope this new mechanic works better than Ghost Heat.

Although I can't help but think how mech less faffing about just having cones of fire would have been by now. So many mechanics to try and manage the effects of being able to place shots with pixel precision. Posted Image

im sorry sir it seems like you replied to the wrong topic, i dont see how this has anything to do with the PTS?
unless you are saying you support the PTS Energy Draw system which moves to reduce high Alphas?

#24 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

Sounds promising, except for the 2 Gauss limit.

Anyways, gonna load this up and test all of tomorrow.

#25 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

I just finished trying out various mechs with energy and ballistics and also up to assault class. Energy draw is a great success. Well done.

#26 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 August 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

I just finished trying out various mechs with energy and ballistics and also up to assault class. Energy draw is a great success. Well done.

well, I had a mixed reaction. Its far from being complete if you ask me. The framework is solid, but needs a heavy polish

#27 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

Like a rename?

Firing Computer Load (FCL)?

#28 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

What does this new mechanic accomplish that adding heat to Gauss Rifles, normalizing weapons to 1 DPH, and lowering heat cap to 30 while increasing dissipation and adjusting weapon CDs wouldn't accomplish? This just looks to me like another unnecessary layer of complexity that could have been avoided by tweaking the values in the game already.

#29 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 18 August 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

What does this new mechanic accomplish that adding heat to Gauss Rifles, normalizing weapons to 1 DPH, and lowering heat cap to 30 while increasing dissipation and adjusting weapon CDs wouldn't accomplish? This just looks to me like another unnecessary layer of complexity that could have been avoided by tweaking the values in the game already.

If you havnt tried it yet you should. Honestly the more I think about it, the more it looks like an amazing change. The real time multi player Battletech sim needed this.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 August 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 18 August 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

You know...after reading the notes (still downloading), it strikes me that they could streamline this whole thing by restricting heat cap to 30-40 points and upping dissipation rate (instead of lowering it) and still achieve identical results.

Gauss still needs to be addressed then.

View PostLostdragon, on 18 August 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

Normalizing weapons to 1 DPH is too much of a blanket change IMO, since weapons have spread/velocity/FLD/range differences. Normalizing AC DPH though, I am all for it.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 August 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#31 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 August 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

If you havnt tried it yet you should. Honestly the more I think about it, the more it looks like an amazing change. I honestly think the competition is envious of this.

I'm downloading the PTS client now, looking forward to trying it but on paper I don't see the need for it.

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 August 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Make it 15 heat. It is long past time that sacred cow was killed.

#32 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 18 August 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'm downloading the PTS client now, looking forward to trying it but on paper I don't see the need for it.

Make it 15 heat. It is long past time that sacred cow was killed.

Bottom line it limits alphas and makes heat MORE manageable. Solves one of the biggest problems since day 1 and makes heat more friendly. Crazy load outs like the 6 LL STK? I wouldn't know.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 August 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#33 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 August 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Bottom line it limits alphas and makes heat MORE manageable. Solves one of the biggest problems since day 1 and makes heat more friendly. Crazy load outs like the 6 LL STK? I wouldn't know.

I was in a match with you jhonny on my first go. heat definitely is more manageable

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 18 August 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#34 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

They're going to have to re-balance clan laser durations since the lowest common denominator for balance now is 30 damage. IS 30 damage for 30 energy with lasers is 1/2 duration of Clan 30 damage for 30 energy.

#35 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

increase to Time-To-Kill...I'm all for that, especially since there isn't a respawn....yet.

Edited by Coolant, 18 August 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#36 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

30 damage threshold is too low. It breaks basic weapon combos, gutting laser builds completely. 40 damage threshold is much more reasonable.

#37 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 18 August 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

30 damage threshold is too low. It breaks basic weapon combos, gutting laser builds completely. 40 damage threshold is much more reasonable.

Im hoping the threshold will change depending on the weight class of the mech.

#38 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

You know Battle Tech has this solved if you use the canon recycle rates for the weapons.

Edited by Lightfoot, 18 August 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#39 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 18 August 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

You know...after reading the notes (still downloading), it strikes me that they could streamline this whole thing by restricting heat cap to 30-40 points and upping dissipation rate (instead of lowering it) and still achieve identical results.

Not quite. Ballistics will reign.

#40 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostMystere, on 18 August 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

Not quite. Ballistics will reign.

They reign anyway.

That being said, with the exception of my EBJ doing the ol' 6xcERML+2xcLPL thing, every single one of my 'Mechs now runs colder and can alpha-strike more than they could on the live servers.

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 August 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

It's not even addressed now. Gauss shots almost always come before or after the laser volley, so it's not like they count toward the draw cap. For PPC+Gauss, the extra heat from the 5 damage is off-set by the increased DHS capabilities, and we can just run 3xPPC now anyway. Even the increased cool-down is actually an improvement, because before your total cycle time was cooldown+quirks+charge time. With the charge time now lumped into the cool-down, it is now affected by the quirks, so your overall rate of fire has increased.

Only a proper energy draw mechanic more closely resembling a real-world system would cover the Gauss. That, or a significant generation of heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users