Vaporware or Not

194 replies to this topic

#21 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

This thread needs to be locked/deleted.

OP, be glad they are releasing content for us to see, even if it is just concept art. Your post is nothing but selfish. They are releasing a ton of information.

#22 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

The fact its development cycle is months or years does not make it vaporware. You have to combine that with the lack of released details to the public that are not just conceptional ideas.

#23 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

View Postphelanjkell, on 10 December 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

OP, be glad they are releasing content for us to see, even if it is just concept art. Your post is nothing but selfish. They are releasing a ton of information.

Selfish? im not asking for a personal email ;p

#24 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

No, you are basically challenging the DEV team on the fact they have not released what you want. That is selfish.

You or I am in no place to tell the DEV team what to do at any time. They have plans and scheduled releases of information, patience will see you through this just like the rest of us.

#25 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

Valid points, and at least your capable of an actual discussion, actually scratch that at least your capable of reading. Releasing WIP (Work in progress for the trolls) can be a double edged sword, but is that not why it is WIP its not finished not ready, but thats never stopped developers from releasing it to showcase whats in store for their community.

And that has caused more disruptive action from players then good. Everyone has seen it happen if you follow any game and the players get their way to early.

Enjoy the run-up. It makes the final days to release so much sweeter.

Besides, your OP did not have a point for Discussion. Perhaps you chose the wrong Forum by mistake?

Edited by MaddMaxx, 10 December 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#26 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I just can't take this thread seriously. It's a stab at the developers who are obviously working hard on this game by someone who is obviously in no position to determine if something is vaporware or not. It has no place on the forums.

#27 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

couple of things.

calls for this thread to be locked/deleted are a little off, aren't they? just because you might not like the topic, doesn't mean it's not worth f discussion. fact is they seem to suggest that the dev time to initial release is only about a year, which is pretty quick by anyone's standards. but far from impossible. so maybe this does need to be discussed?

The other thing is, lets not confuse a lack of information/screen shots to a lack of progress on the devs part. they clearly have a reasonably defined marketing schedule and are obviously using that to great effect, drip feeding us snippets of information here and there. keeps us hungry. wanting more. stuff to discuss in the next 8 months or however long it is. and it is working.

That said, calling it vapour ware, this soon, is a little bit much, perhaps.

#28 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 10 December 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

couple of things.

calls for this thread to be locked/deleted are a little off, aren't they? just because you might not like the topic, doesn't mean it's not worth f discussion. fact is they seem to suggest that the dev time to initial release is only about a year, which is pretty quick by anyone's standards. but far from impossible. so maybe this does need to be discussed?

The other thing is, lets not confuse a lack of information/screen shots to a lack of progress on the devs part. they clearly have a reasonably defined marketing schedule and are obviously using that to great effect, drip feeding us snippets of information here and there. keeps us hungry. wanting more. stuff to discuss in the next 8 months or however long it is. and it is working.

That said, calling it vapour ware, this soon, is a little bit much, perhaps.

By definition it could be considered to be so (the thread title kind of gives away that its open to opinion), and i agree the drip feed works to an extent. To get new players interested in the game IMO needs more, a new player who knows nothing about the history is unlikely to be impressed by drawings and news feeds from a universe they know next to nothing about.
They will want to see gamplay, and the quicker you draw people in then the snips keep them here an interested, but you need that draw first.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#29 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

They have working on making the game a reality for 2 years already. Blog 0 indicates that quite clearly.

"Well, a lot has happened in the two years since we first announced MechWarrior back in 2009, and we felt a quick recap would help bring everyone up to speed on the events of the last 2 years."

What makes anyone think they haven't done some/a lot of preliminary base work during that time, being optimistic about the future outcome, which we know know as MWO?

#30 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

By your loose interpretation of the definition any game without a gameplay video could be considered the same. I can think of dozens of games without gameplay footage I know are going to happen just through context and common sense. Their funding as I've said is secure, and given the nature of the game they only need it to be barebones to launch it. It's not like a PvE game. Players are the content, so they just need to provide a working framework and add on to it.

#31 Cepeza

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBeneath your bed!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Wait for next Wednesday. :P

#32 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Vaporware? Highly unlikely. Piranha already has experience in producing games. The frequency of vaporware is inversely proportional with size and experience of the company in question. PGI is no Blizzard or Valve, but they're also not an InterWave Studios (those people that had Nuclear Dawn in development for so long). Either way this touches on a subject I think is important - a lot of people seem to think the game is much farther ahead in its development cycle than it seems to be. The reason we're only getting conceptual art and mechanics discussion is probably because the game isn't even close to being in alpha yet - and that's okay.

#33 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 10 December 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

They have working on making the game a reality for 2 years already. Blog 0 indicates that quite clearly.

What makes anyone think they haven't done some/a lot of preliminary base work during that time, being optimistic about the future outcome, which we know know as MWO?

Ah finally someone stumbled into it, so if in fact its been in development for 2 years, do you not think something of the actual game should have been released by now? and it doesnt have to be an entire 8v8 match up, could be as simple as one mech walking across a map.

#34 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Sadly, a Q@A answer sheet will obviously not satiate his need for non-vaporous materials. :P

P.S. In the interest of humor, should I add another smiley...

Edited by MaddMaxx, 10 December 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#35 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Ah finally someone stumbled into it, so if in fact its been in development for 2 years, do you not think something of the actual game should have been released by now? and it doesnt have to be an entire 8v8 match up, could be as simple as one mech walking across a map.

Well if that turns your crank, take a MW4 Mech out for a walk. I got a feeling from the Concept Art, they will look just as cool and likely act even cooler. :P

Edited by MaddMaxx, 10 December 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#36 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Okay, let me emphasize how much of an insult this is.

Vaporware is a term used in the tech industry for software or hardware announcements intended to con or swindle investors out of their money or as a cheap parlor trick to draw attention to other product lines and drum up stock value.

In game terms, it is used for a title that may never be released.

So the OP basically said: are the devs charlatans or just incompetent?

People should really have more tact and understand exactly what they're actually saying before making a post like this.

#37 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

By definition it could be considered to be so (the thread title kind of gives away that its open to opinion), and i agree the drip feed works to an extent. To get new players interested in the game IMO needs more, a new player who knows nothing about the history is unlikely to be impressed by drawings and news feeds from a universe they know next to nothing about.
They will want to see gamplay, and the quicker you draw people in then the snips keep them here an interested, but you need that draw first.

It COULD be considered that way, yes. that doesn't mean it should be, or, in fact, is.
the drip feed is working very well, 50,000+ posts tells me it's getting exactly the kind of response it's after. right now, they seem to be targeting the core audience of mechwarrior. I'm sure they will broaden their outlook when the time is right. and if you don't know about the universe find out!
I'm sorry you don;t like the way its marketed, but it's coming off slightly as a little bit impatient on your part, which I can understand. but if everything they have said, the Q+As, the fairly in-depth information they have provided over many aspects of the game, if that doesn't tell you they are working on something real and more over, realistic, then perhaps (and i mean this in the nicest possible way) you need to walk away for a bit and return when they give you what you want.
It's weird, film producers can throw up the most obscure viral poster/film 12 months before release and no one complains, they just get excited, assuming it's not the Green Lantern film. PGI try a funky bit of marketing and it's gets questioned.

Sigh.

#38 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

View Postphelanjkell, on 10 December 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

REMOVE IT!!! BAN IT!! BAN HIM!!!!

get real and grow up.. Adults can have conflicting opinions and actually work through them in voice (or indeed this case by posting) not just calling for their head... this isn't Blackadder and believe it or not your opinion is just that... add to that you have little in the way of actual power beyond suggesting it... you sicken me.

Now that is out of the way...

Everything posted is as the OP posted, fancy drawings... I believe that MW Living Legends have more of a credible product than piranha at this moment in time to say 'it will be done in a years time'. That is what DV is saying and I think its a fair point.

I could go draw some nice (read: mspaint stick figure drawing) pictures and say I'm going to be releasing a credible product in a years time... fact of the matter is it wont happen.

Back to the devs ... if you want to be taken seriously, stop giving us 'This is what it will look like'... and actually show us what you have... it will probably silence your critics and excite the population of these forums more than any concept stuff you could show us.

Add the fact that the original video was not in-game which really is all we have to go on... I think we have the right to remain sceptical.

Flame on flamethrowers

#39 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Infi, none of the fans are going to care what you have to say, and the developers aren't going to be bullied on their own forums.

All you're doing is inviting hostility intentionally, why? Just haters gonna hate, or what? I'm all for discussion, but this isn't inviting discussion, this is you deliberately attacking the developers when any sane person knows they're not going to give you what you're asking for, do you just want a self fulfilling prophecy so you can pretend you're legitimized? Do you just enjoy starting flame wars?

Edited by Haeso, 10 December 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#40 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

REMOVE IT!!! BAN IT!! BAN HIM!!!!

get real and grow up.. Adults can have conflicting opinions and actually work through them in voice (or indeed this case by posting) not just calling for their head... this isn't Blackadder and believe it or not your opinion is just that... add to that you have little in the way of actual power beyond suggesting it... you sicken me.

Now that is out of the way...

Everything posted is as the OP posted, fancy drawings... I believe that MW Living Legends have more of a credible product than piranha at this moment in time to say 'it will be done in a years time'. That is what DV is saying and I think its a fair point.

I could go draw some nice (read: mspaint stick figure drawing) pictures and say I'm going to be releasing a credible product in a years time... fact of the matter is it wont happen.

Back to the devs ... if you want to be taken seriously, stop giving us 'This is what it will look like'... and actually show us what you have... it will probably silence your critics and excite the population of these forums more than any concept stuff you could show us.

Add the fact that the original video was not in-game which really is all we have to go on... I think we have the right to remain sceptical.

Flame on flamethrowers

You admit you can't make that art, so can you pay for it? No? Okay, how about the video from 2009, do you have the talent or money to do that? No? Obviously PGI has a team that can, and enough games under their belt to prove it.

Oh, and no developer releases content before it is ready. Why? because a million forum nerds get out the nerd rage because a pixel is brownish instead of tannish.

82 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 82 guests, 0 anonymous users